These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

so why no different paint jobs?

Author
Daniel Plain
Doomheim
#1 - 2012-05-01 21:26:59 UTC
about a year ago, when the whole aurum debacle took place, they promised us new color schemes for our ships. retexturing a ship should not take so long, especially if you consider just changing the color scheme. even ******* world of tanks has several skins per tank, why not eve?

TL;DR: wtb pink nightmare

I should buy an Ishtar.

FT Diomedes
The Graduates
#2 - 2012-05-02 01:15:54 UTC
If people want to fly pink Thoraxes, I guess I don't have a problem with that. As long as they are the only ones who see the custom skins.

CCP should add more NPC 0.0 space to open it up and liven things up: the Stepping Stones project.

Jayrendo Karr
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#3 - 2012-05-02 01:21:16 UTC
Because instead of ******* around with colors, they could be remodeling the old as **** ships and redoing turret hard-points.
Tarn Kugisa
Kugisa Dynamics
#4 - 2012-05-02 01:54:16 UTC
Hats Online 2

Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to troll everyone you meet - KuroVolt

Shereza
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2012-05-02 02:01:48 UTC
Tarn Kugisa wrote:
Hats Online 2

World of Monaclecraft.
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#6 - 2012-05-02 05:06:51 UTC
The new textures CCP is doing with all the ships (the V3 project) will allow for this feature. Be patient.
Fronkfurter McSheebleton
Horse Feathers
CAStabouts
#7 - 2012-05-02 05:50:23 UTC
Daniel Plain wrote:
about a year ago, when the whole aurum debacle took place, they promised us new color schemes for our ships. retexturing a ship should not take so long, especially if you consider just changing the color scheme. even ******* world of tanks has several skins per tank, why not eve?

TL;DR: wtb pink nightmare

It takes a lot longer than you'd think There's a lot more to it than just altering a few colors.

thhief ghabmoef

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#8 - 2012-05-02 06:05:36 UTC  |  Edited by: James Amril-Kesh
I don't even know how custom paint jobs can even be possible in EVE. If you had 100 ships on grid, all with different paint jobs, what kind of load is that going to put on the server, much less everybody's computers?

I don't even want to think about how badly that would end up.
I find it ironic how the more mundane stuff that gets suggested draws cries of "please, think of the kittens server!" while everybody gets caught up in the prospect of Hello Kitty Scorpions completely disregarding the fact that whenever you warp in everyone has to load your custom skin.

I mean, if there's a way of doing it without it being computationally and network intensive, then I'm all for it. I just don't see how.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Gorki Andropov
I Dn't Knw Wht You Wnt Bt I Cn't Gve It Anymre
#9 - 2012-05-02 08:04:38 UTC
FT Diomedes wrote:
If people want to fly pink Thoraxes, I guess I don't have a problem with that. As long as they are the only ones who see the custom skins.

Why on earth should the universe not see the custom paint jobs? Thankfully, you're not in charge.
Daniel Plain
Doomheim
#10 - 2012-05-02 08:40:26 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
I don't even know how custom paint jobs can even be possible in EVE. If you had 100 ships on grid, all with different paint jobs, what kind of load is that going to put on the server, much less everybody's computers?

I don't even want to think about how badly that would end up.
I find it ironic how the more mundane stuff that gets suggested draws cries of "please, think of the kittens server!" while everybody gets caught up in the prospect of Hello Kitty Scorpions completely disregarding the fact that whenever you warp in everyone has to load your custom skin.

I mean, if there's a way of doing it without it being computationally and network intensive, then I'm all for it. I just don't see how.

last time i checked, other games such as APB already did this very successfully. granted, they have less demands to scaling but then again, you don't have to go as far as them. you can press one of, say 12 color schemes and half a dozen pre-defined decals into one integer.
also, to be clear, i was not proposing that everyone is to upload their own skin mesh in some way, i was proposing choosing between predefined meshes and customizing them from inside the game client.

I should buy an Ishtar.

Death Toll007
Perkone
Caldari State
#11 - 2012-05-02 08:50:07 UTC
OP: Because CCP has deep-seeded personal vendetta against you. If you told them you did't want them, you will have them for the winter expansion. The rest of us were looking forward to it this expansion, but no..... you and only you had to say something to delay it. Maybe you should wait patiently so the rest of us do not have to suffer,

-DT
Daniel Plain
Doomheim
#12 - 2012-05-02 08:51:43 UTC
Death Toll007 wrote:
OP: Because CCP has deep-seeded personal vendetta against you. If you told them you did't want them, you will have them for the winter expansion. The rest of us were looking forward to it this expansion, but no..... you and only you had to say something to delay it. Maybe you should wait patiently so the rest of us do not have to suffer,

-DT

NO U! i want pink spaceships nao!

I should buy an Ishtar.

Effect One
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#13 - 2012-05-02 10:40:49 UTC
Turn it into an ISK sink. 5mill to apply a colour filter to your ship. When it's blown up you have to buy it again.

Visible to others unless they check the tickbox in settings that turns off dynamic skin loading.

'This might be internet spaceships, but it's not rocket science to protect yourself and fly with a little common sense' - CCP Falcon

Perihelion Olenard
#14 - 2012-05-02 10:54:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Perihelion Olenard
To be honest there are more important things for devs to be doing like balancing ships and removing ship tiers. CCP has said themselves they're working on the core of Eve and not adding even more features. I don't think they should be adding more features when there are many broken ships.
Just Alter
Futures Abstractions
#15 - 2012-05-02 11:05:36 UTC
Some time ago i was supporting this idea.

Now i'm starting to doubt it would be a good idea.

Eve ships are color coded in such a way that it's really cool to watch,especially in large fleets.

If they start to add "strange colors" like pink or bright green and stuff like that, fleets would loose their uniform and elegant look.

So now i say: let the customization be bound by the faction; caldari use a bluish palette, minm reddish, amarr golden etc.

So you can still customize your ship but in a subtle way and actually enhance the "fleet look."
Roime
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#16 - 2012-05-02 11:15:02 UTC
Perihelion Olenard wrote:
To be honest there are more important things for devs to be doing like balancing ships and removing ship tiers. CCP has said themselves they're working on the core of Eve and not adding even more features. I don't think they should be adding more features when there are many broken ships.

The teams doing ship balancing and graphics assets are completely separated and could well be working on these two topics simultaneously. I do agree about the general priority you stated, but these things are not overlapping.

Like mentioned, V3 project lays the technical groundwork for customizable ship skins (according to CCP). Whether or not this will actually happen has not yet been confirmed. I hope so :)

First ship gfx assets priority imo should however be unique hulls for T2 ships. Stealth Bombers are getting new hulls because of the new torp & bomb launchers, and I hope the other T2 ships get a similar treatment soon. However, it's likely that the upcoming (Winter or later) POS revamp will use all the available arts resources.

Daniel Plain
Doomheim
#17 - 2012-05-02 11:17:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Daniel Plain
Just Alter wrote:
[...]fleets would loose[...]

it's 'lose' not 'loose' unless you refer to screws, california's drug policy or female genitalia.

I should buy an Ishtar.

Roime
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#18 - 2012-05-02 11:17:34 UTC
Just Alter wrote:

Eve ships are color coded in such a way that it's really cool to watch,especially in large fleets.

If they start to add "strange colors" like pink or bright green and stuff like that, fleets would loose their uniform and elegant look.

So now i say: let the customization be bound by the faction; caldari use a bluish palette, minm reddish, amarr golden etc.

So you can still customize your ship but in a subtle way and actually enhance the "fleet look."

Yes, racial differences should remain distinctive even on customized ships, but regarding fleets- what if corps & alliances would have their own "flag" colors? Corp logos painted on hulls with some nice corp color scheme would definitely look cool.

Death Toll007
Perkone
Caldari State
#19 - 2012-05-02 11:17:57 UTC
Is patiently waiting the release of this feature in order to make a fleet of hello kitty decalled, pink Nano gang. Not only did you get OMGWTFPWNED it was by a fleet of pink ships sporting cute little kitty stencils with friendly stayings graffitti'ed on their hulls. Nothing says PWNED like a PINK Abbadon with a hello kitty on the flat portion of the bow and "I love you so much I have to hurt you!" Stenciled along the sides.

-DT
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#20 - 2012-05-03 07:55:02 UTC
Roime wrote:
Just Alter wrote:

Yes, racial differences should remain distinctive even on customized ships, but regarding fleets- what if corps & alliances would have their own "flag" colors? Corp logos painted on hulls with some nice corp color scheme would definitely look cool.

Big fleets in my alliance with razor blades painted on their hulls? That's something I can get behind. :P

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

123Next page