These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Why is it bad to be antisocial in EVE

Author
Mr Kidd
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#21 - 2012-05-01 12:59:57 UTC
Demolishar wrote:
When people here say social they mean "manipulative". This is really the heart of the issue.

Or worse, when people say social they really mean, "Play with me....OR ELSE I'M GOING TO THROW A TANTRUM!"

Don't ban me, bro!

Panacani
Doomheim
#22 - 2012-05-01 13:01:58 UTC
Akirei Scytale wrote:
Liam Mirren wrote:
I'm not antisocial, I just realise that the vast majority of people on this planet are clueless ******* morons whom I refuse to interact with in a positive manner.

Protip: most of the people who think this are, in fact, clueless ******* morons themselves. you don't know everything (or even very much). any intelligent person knows this. assuming others are morons for not knowing the same things you do, while not attempting to find out what they do know, is the mark of an idiot - and being so socially incompetent that you withdraw entirely is the mark of a coward.

"Your a dumbass for thinking people are dumbasses!"

lol
Akirei Scytale
Okami Syndicate
#23 - 2012-05-01 13:18:23 UTC
Panacani wrote:

"Your a dumbass for thinking people are dumbasses!"

lol

You're. Roll
Ana Vyr
Vyral Technologies
#24 - 2012-05-01 13:26:27 UTC
"Don't trust anyone."

A completely stupid rule for a cooperative game. A very good rule to follow though, from my experiences.
Liam Mirren
#25 - 2012-05-01 13:47:59 UTC
Akirei Scytale wrote:
Liam Mirren wrote:
I'm not antisocial, I just realise that the vast majority of people on this planet are clueless ******* morons whom I refuse to interact with in a positive manner.

Protip: most of the people who think this are, in fact, clueless ******* morons themselves. you don't know everything (or even very much). any intelligent person knows this. assuming others are morons for not knowing the same things you do, while not attempting to find out what they do know, is the mark of an idiot - and being so socially incompetent that you withdraw entirely is the mark of a coward.

It's about not being the average peer pressure moron who falls for politics, commercials, the media and enjoys being a passive follower. People who show a glimpse of intelligence (which is not the same as knowing stuff) I'll happily interact with.

Excellence is not a skill, it's an attitude.

Akirei Scytale
Okami Syndicate
#26 - 2012-05-01 13:56:33 UTC
Liam Mirren wrote:
Akirei Scytale wrote:
Liam Mirren wrote:

It's about not being the average peer pressure moron who falls for politics, commercials, the media and enjoys being a passive follower. People who show a glimpse of intelligence (which is not the same as knowing stuff) I'll happily interact with.

just an FYI - pretty much everyone is talented at something. intelligence is not a measurable quantity that covers everything. there are many different kinds.
Pinstar Colton
Sweet Asteroid Acres
#27 - 2012-05-01 13:57:36 UTC
Prime example of how being social can help.

I'm a refiner, I buy ore. I have a large standing order in my local system. I notice on my transactions tab that one person in particular tends to sell to that order over and over again.

I sometimes go out to mine myself and bump into that person out in the asteroid fields. We exchange hellos and keep each other entertained during mining.

I inform this person that I'm moving to a new region soon. She informs me that she's sitting on a TON of scordite. We negotiate a private contract for a TON of ore at a very reasonable price that I might have otherwise lost to +.01 isk ers on the open market.

In the cat-and-mouse game that is low sec, there is no shame in learning to be a better mouse.

Fannie Maes
Doomheim
#28 - 2012-05-01 13:58:08 UTC
Is it anti-social to hang out with your 30 alts in your own corp?
Vyl Vit
#29 - 2012-05-01 14:13:28 UTC
Demolishar wrote:
When people here say social they mean "manipulative". This is really the heart of the issue.

And when people say "manipulative," I cross my legs.

Paradise is like where you are right now, only much, much better.

KrakizBad
Section 8.
#30 - 2012-05-01 14:16:50 UTC
So be antisocial, no one cares. Enjoy EVE Lite.
Skex Relbore
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#31 - 2012-05-01 14:29:16 UTC
To have real trust betrayal must be an option.

First rule of EVE isn't to trust no one. First rule of EVE is to not undock what you aren't willing to lose.

Do you really think that those massive SOV holding entities can function without trust? Trust is an inherent property of Null sec life. Trust is what holds a group together when the trust is lost is when it tends to fall apart.

The whole point of playing an MMO is to socialize. To make friends to kill the time we're here on this earth in an enjoyable manner. This requires trust, and because there are no external forces enforcing that trust the trust has to be real.

Micheal Dietrich
Kings Gambit Black
#32 - 2012-05-01 14:31:04 UTC
Op likes playing with himself.

Out of Pod is getting In the Pod - Join in game channel **IG OOPE **

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#33 - 2012-05-01 14:43:51 UTC
Skex Relbore wrote:
To have real trust betrayal must be an option.

First rule of EVE isn't to trust no one. First rule of EVE is to not undock what you aren't willing to lose.

Do you really think that those massive SOV holding entities can function without trust? Trust is an inherent property of Null sec life. Trust is what holds a group together when the trust is lost is when it tends to fall apart.

The whole point of playing an MMO is to socialize. To make friends to kill the time we're here on this earth in an enjoyable manner. This requires trust, and because there are no external forces enforcing that trust the trust has to be real.

Indeed.

The most difficult (and perhaps most important) skill in EVE is to be able to tell who you CAN trust, and exactly how far.

People that are skillful in this area are able to form large, successful organizations that can project their will over vast area's.

People that are not tend to either be limited to the most basic game play available, or if successful for a time end up losing it all in the end.

EVE is all about trust, actually.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Cearain
Plus 10 NV
It Burns When I'm PvPing
#34 - 2012-05-01 15:41:55 UTC
Skex Relbore wrote:
The whole point of playing an MMO is to socialize. To make friends to kill the time we're here on this earth in an enjoyable manner.

Can you accept that others may not view this the same way as you? I certainly appreciate that allot of people have made friends through eve and I think that is great. But its not "the whole point" of playing a computer mmo.

I play an mmo so that I can fly a spaceship in a virtual world that is not created by a computer script or ai. I interact with other people as opposed to a computer ai. Which is a big part of what makes eve great. But I would hardly call every interaction in eve "socializing." And certainly most of the interactions do not involve "making friends."

If I want to socialize and make friends, I tend to do other things that usually do not involve sitting in front of a computer screen.

But frankly I have plenty of friends and often can't find the time, to spend with the friends I already have, let alone want to "kill time" finding new ones through the internet. No I just think playing eve is better than the next best option to have some fun after work - e.g., watching tv.

Seriously people harping about socializing all the time makes the game seem like some pathetic sort of dating service or "friend service." That is not "the whole point" of playing a computer game.

Make faction war occupancy pvp instead of pve https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=53815&#post53815

Josef Djugashvilis
#35 - 2012-05-01 16:11:28 UTC
Liam Mirren wrote:

Try not to post whilst high from inhaling your own ego.

Having said that, you do provide good information in the Help Channel.

This is not a signature.

Antisocial Malkavian
Antisocial Malkavians
#36 - 2012-05-01 16:25:49 UTC
War Kitten wrote:
Aren't you being social just by posting this thread for everyone to see?

If you were really antisocial, you'd keep your brain farts to yourself.

Why would I do that? This is EVE-O the sewer of the internet.

Well I hear thats SA or 4 chan but still

And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit.

Endear
And Beyond ...
#37 - 2012-05-01 16:49:00 UTC
Someone who doesn’t enjoy socializing at parties might be described as either “asocial” or “antisocial,’ but “asocial” is too mild a term to describe someone who commits an antisocial act like planting a bomb. “Asocial” suggests indifference to or separation from society, whereas “antisocial” more often suggests active hostility toward society.

http://theactionspeaks.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/themoreyouknow.jpg
Thallius Dark
Doomheim
#38 - 2012-05-01 17:08:10 UTC
Liam Mirren wrote:
Akirei Scytale wrote:
Liam Mirren wrote:

From my experience a lot of players are as socially retarted as this guy, it's not that they don't want to properly interact with people but that they are incapable of it.....
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#39 - 2012-05-01 17:11:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Ranger 1
Cearain wrote:
Skex Relbore wrote:
The whole point of playing an MMO is to socialize. To make friends to kill the time we're here on this earth in an enjoyable manner.

Can you accept that others may not view this the same way as you? I certainly appreciate that allot of people have made friends through eve and I think that is great. But its not "the whole point" of playing a computer mmo.

I play an mmo so that I can fly a spaceship in a virtual world that is not created by a computer script or ai. I interact with other people as opposed to a computer ai. Which is a big part of what makes eve great. But I would hardly call every interaction in eve "socializing." And certainly most of the interactions do not involve "making friends."

If I want to socialize and make friends, I tend to do other things that usually do not involve sitting in front of a computer screen.

But frankly I have plenty of friends and often can't find the time, to spend with the friends I already have, let alone want to "kill time" finding new ones through the internet. No I just think playing eve is better than the next best option to have some fun after work - e.g., watching tv.

Seriously people harping about socializing all the time makes the game seem like some pathetic sort of dating service or "friend service." That is not "the whole point" of playing a computer game.

I have to admit that this is true. While being able to work with others is very important (but not mandatory), that has a bit different meaning than "socializing".

Socializing implies a freindly interaction. There are many CEO's, Alliance leaders or officers, etc. that really don't get into socializing in EVE, however they excel at interacting effectively with other players.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Skex Relbore
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#40 - 2012-05-01 17:29:50 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:

I have to admit that this is true. While being able to work with others is very important (but not mandatory), that has a bit different meaning than "socializing".

Socializing implies a freindly interaction. There are many CEO's, Alliance leaders or officers, etc. that really don't get into socializing in EVE, however they excel at interacting effectively with other players.

People play for what ever reason they please however they please. But it's an established fact of online gaming that longevity strongly correlates with social interactions. Of course I don't make the automatic association of socializing with friendly interactions. Socializing to me generally indicates cordial relations. But I kind of mean the whole spectrum of human social interactions.

Those CEO's and alliance leaders you mention may not spend a lot of time socializing with the line grunts but I guaranty you that they do so with their fellow CEO's and Directors as well as often with their "Enemies". You know the real secret to Goon's success? They understand this dynamic. Which is why the first thing they do with a new member is get them a mentor, then they have different squads to push people into social groups which all encourages building those relationships that will maintain interest long after the game mechanics become dull. .

I don't have a problem with people who want to play differently than I, if you want to pretend that EVE is a single player game with a very advanced AI, have fun with that, But you are missing out on a huge part of what makes online gaming fun and emotionally rewarding. Which to my mind is kind of missing the point of playing an MMO.