These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Market Discussions

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Suggestion: Trade of the Week

Author
99 Ways
Doomheim
#1 - 2012-05-01 06:23:26 UTC  |  Edited by: 99 Ways
Dear MD,

As I have been reading along the MD forums for a while and enjoyed some of the discussion and trolling that is displayed here on a daily basis.

However, some of the time I feel like there is a lack of actual discussion of certain "markets" - or rather not as much "discussion" as there could be. So I had the idea to start a new thread on a weekly (or bi-weekly) basis that will focus on certain "markets" of the game economy.

1) Topics

Topics of such a thread should be chosen to only include a certain fracture of the whole EvE market, for example:
"T1 Missile Launchers" or "Astronautics Rigs" or "Amarr Cruisers" or "Scout-Stealth Frigates" or "Datacores" or "T2 Ammunition" or "Dogtags" or "Shield Boosters" or "Hull Upgrades" or "Hybrid Ammunition" or "Assault Missiles" or ...
As you can see there is a long list of markets that could be discussed.
We should probably be picking markets that are not part of the daily "OMG the .. XX!" threads that pop up.

2) Goals

In my imagination those threads should be a pool of knowledge, education and general discussion about the market itself.

3) Problems
As many may say that trader's should not share their secrets I am afraid that such a topic might not get the attention or participation it should have - but I will try none the less.
Furthermore I am unsure as to how we actually would "need" such topics and if there will be actual "discussion" happening.

4) Input required!

This thread shall work as a mother-thread where I may link future topics - but for now I would like to get some input on:

a) if this has been done before (I am too young to know) ?
b) I would be looking for some input regarding topics that could be discussed in such threads
c) would you participate in such weekly / bi-weekly topics ?

As there is always somebody required to start such a thread, to do some research and do a small writeup I would do that.
However I am not a 100% certain what the first post of a thread should contain exactly - I would be looking to get some ideas from this thread aswell.

So far a few points that could be included in the OP thread each time:

- Name & specifics about the following discussion (to give a border, and to keep it on topic)
- a short history
- general facts about the markets items like:
* how are they created/produced
* are there limitations on how to obtain them (the BPO's are only seeded in certain areas of space for example)
* daily volume
* price range
* cost according to mineral prices
* items that influence the price of said market segments
* neat statistics from twitter (@)
* more that has to be determined

Why am I thinking of doing this? - For fun, for my own education and lack of better things to do & maybe to start a tradition.

I will write a sample later today or this week to give you an Idea what I have on my mind, but for now I would be looking for some more ideas and input for this.

Thanks for reading & sorry about my english (*im not a native)
99 Ways
Doomheim
#2 - 2012-05-01 06:25:51 UTC  |  Edited by: 99 Ways
reserved for sample* / template

Tools that provide you with data to display:

EvE - Central
EvE - Marketdata
evemarketeer (one of the best ones IMO, but having trouble at the moment)
the ingame information available (take screenshots, if you want to)

pages to check for production or bpo's or general cost of items

eve.addicts.nl check out the production calculator (top right)
BPO calc bpo calc for informed knowledge about good ME and PE levels on BPO's

### draft 1 - disclaimer: will recieve edits over time ###

Things that should be included in a OP thread:

1) * Name of the Market - including all the items that are counted towards the discussion, be as detailed as possible - prossibly even provide links.
2) * Maybe a short history of the item(s) (not neccessary)
3) * A short outline on how the said item enters the ingame economy.
- is it produced , if so - how? t1? t2? from minerals ?
- is it seeded ? if so, where? how much is the cost ? does it appear only in certain regions?
4) * More detail about the production process, for example
- show how much each item reqires in minerals to be made
- note down the prices of the required ingredients at the date of writing the post - so people have a refference for the future (maybe work with %'s ?)
- explain any factors that might influence the material cost further, POS cost? research cost? station costs?
5) talk a little about the current buy and sellorder prices ( do check other markets than just jita!, amarr,rens,dodixie,hek come to mind)
6) look at price fluctuation over the last week/month/3months/6months/year - maybe name certain intresting pricepoints

--- sorry have to go afk, will edit later.
Chevalleis
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2012-05-01 06:36:47 UTC
Interesting. So the topics would discuss the current , past & future state of that market?
99 Ways
Doomheim
#4 - 2012-05-01 06:49:33 UTC  |  Edited by: 99 Ways
Chevalleis wrote:
Interesting. So the topics would discuss the current , past & future state of that market?

proabaly, as to what should be exactly in the discussion that has to be decided - and as I dont know how this might turn out - time would tell.

For the histroy part however, I am not sure that I could manage that because my game-experience is only limited (about 1 year).

I think the topics would be focussing on the current state of the market, with little history and hopefully discussion about the future.
Doggfather san
420 Enterprises.
#5 - 2012-05-01 07:31:47 UTC
My Corporation releases a weekly blog on trading.

Whenever I see you upload one of these topics I shall contribute as much as possible.

http://420enterprises.com

Samroski
Middle-Earth
#6 - 2012-05-01 10:22:28 UTC
The idea is worth a try. A number of MDers will share their knowledge imho.

Have a set format (headings) for each topic (as suggested in the OP), with a couple of links at the start to a wiki/other site for details, like minerals required etc.

As the info comes in, you could update the main post periodically, summarizing the info under the headings.

Many topics have interesting pasts, and lot of interesting information could surface.

The info generated could even be contributed to the wiki site.

Any colour you like.

Dennmoth Ferdier
Zero Gravity Productions
#7 - 2012-05-01 10:44:15 UTC
I propose dog tags as the first item of discussion.
99 Ways
Doomheim
#8 - 2012-05-03 01:41:44 UTC  |  Edited by: 99 Ways
For now I am still working on what should be mentioned in the OP post.

Basically what is imporant information that should be collected each time before a post is created.

Please fire away what is intresting to know about an item!

- After I collect some Idea's I would like to create a template that will allow others to start topics aswell - I do not want to be the sole contributor of this.

Quote:
I propose dog tags as the first item of discussion.

As I have never done any research into dogtags I dont think I will be able to cover this as of yet (knowledgeably).
Kara Books
Deal with IT.
#9 - 2012-05-03 02:24:15 UTC
I prepose everything selling more then 30% below manufacture cost of 100ME BPO + highsec mineral prices get bought out and repriced.