These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

Why do you like/love Eve online?

First post
Author
ian papabear
No Regard.
#1 - 2012-04-30 19:29:17 UTC  |  Edited by: ian papabear
I love it because Instead of me having to fit into its schedule, it can fit into mine unlike other games.. Also because when i stop playing, the game still goes on like the real world. Including, lots of aspects of the game challenge you. You can meet new people, get involved educated about other peoples cultures, etc. Also love it because the CCP staff are incredible straight up group of guys who are really involved with the players of the game.

Fredfredbug4
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2012-04-30 19:36:45 UTC
I like EVE because it's player driven and CCP (mostly) listens to what we want. Because of how player driven it is you feel like you are actually part of the game rather than someone playing it.

All of the stories outside of Empire are the ones we shaped ourselves, everything little thing you do is going to effect someone in some way. If I blow someone up I may have caused them to receive a major set back, or I just pissed them off for a few minutes. In theory I could crash an entire market by tweaking some numbers around too.

I guess what a lot of people like about EVE is that it gives you power.

Watch_ Fred Fred Frederation_ and stop [u]cryptozoologist[/u]! Fight against the brutal genocide of fictional creatures across New Eden! Is that a metaphor? Probably not, but the fru-fru- people will sure love it!

Thibault Etienne
#3 - 2012-04-30 19:36:55 UTC
Worthy of one of my rare responses.
I love it because it's so damn hard and brutal. A true gamers game.
ian papabear
No Regard.
#4 - 2012-04-30 19:40:12 UTC
Thibault Etienne wrote:
Worthy of one of my rare responses.
I love it because it's so damn hard and brutal. A true gamers game.

This is true.

Markus Reese
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#5 - 2012-04-30 19:42:09 UTC
That the player makes more of an effect than "leet gear"

The simple fact that just because you have billions doesn't mean you can win, and you risk losing if you try means everything.

A good tutor can have new members flying along side vets to great effects. My first days I ran tackle and support ships so the vets can focus on their stuff. Tackle or tracking link griffins!

The rewarding of loyalty is excellent too. Love the SP system.

To quote Lfod Shi

The ratting itself is PvE. Getting away with it is PvP.

Chribba
Otherworld Enterprises
Otherworld Empire
#6 - 2012-04-30 19:43:46 UTC
Because of the community.

And bc it's the only worthy follow-up of the Elite series.

/c

★★★ Secure 3rd party service ★★★

Visit my in-game channel 'Holy Veldspar'

Twitter @ChribbaVeldspar

Digital Messiah
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2012-04-30 19:45:38 UTC
Because there is no other MMO out there with this pvp and risk / reward system since SWG CU died.

Something clever

Alotta Cleavage
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2012-04-30 19:45:53 UTC
It's a very deep Space Sci-Fi Sandbox.
ian papabear
No Regard.
#9 - 2012-04-30 19:49:40 UTC
Markus Reese wrote:
That the player makes more of an effect than "leet gear"

The simple fact that just because you have billions doesn't mean you can win, and you risk losing if you try means everything.

A good tutor can have new members flying along side vets to great effects. My first days I ran tackle and support ships so the vets can focus on their stuff. Tackle or tracking link griffins!

The rewarding of loyalty is excellent too. Love the SP system.

the sp system is quite amazing, ive never seen anything like it before. its great because it gives all players a chance to start off at the same level

Micheal Dietrich
Kings Gambit Black
#10 - 2012-04-30 19:54:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Micheal Dietrich
This I have gathered from my 2 years of surfing other games and saying "Gee, I wish this game had this like Eve does"

I love the openness of Eve. Endgame here is not about being somewhere specific once you hit a max level. And while many try to claim that endgame is some place like 0.0, the truth is that endgame is what you make it. My endgame has changed several times in the last week because I decide to log in and try something new.

I love the lack of grind. Now granted I originally took the break because I missioned until my eye's bled, but what I mean is that we don't have raids like the other games where you must be X build and you must be equipped with X set up, and be prepared to punch those memorized keystrokes for the next 45 minutes on your umpteenth raid this month as you work to earn points for that epic piece of armor.

I like how new ships do not cancel out the effectiveness of old ships. Despite everyone always making claims that x ship is broken, I actually find the overall line up to be quite in line with each other. It's not like that chest piece you got from the Dragon raid that is now moot because of the new chest piece that levels in the latest expansion thus forcing you to have to grind for that. To this day many of us fly T1 ships on a regular basis and wouldn't trade them for anything else.

I like the lack of levels/classes. This is so nice on so many levels. 1) You don't need to grind to make it just one more level for the night before you throw up your dinner and pass out from exhaustion. 2) You are never pinned to any particular role. 3) This makes your possibilities unlimited. Instead of saying 'this will be my spec at 50' you continue on and on and on always learning something new.

I enjoy that the game is virtually player ran. There have been so many games that I played where I would think it would be so much better if they allowed players to drop bases down that could be attacked and to let the players run the economy more than just a handful of power players farming blues. Honestly, how often do you really hear about power plays by mega guilds in other games?

I enjoyed many other games but in the end I found that so many of them were generally missing some little item, and that little item could usually be found in eve.

Out of Pod is getting In the Pod - Join in game channel **IG OOPE **

Sycho Pathic
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#11 - 2012-04-30 20:09:44 UTC
Visualize MMOs like triangles.

Most are broad at the lower levels and grow narrower in focus as you advance.

Eve flips it upside down.

Edington Trent
Prompt Critical
#12 - 2012-04-30 20:24:23 UTC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaxmRAMWW6I

(not quite /thread. Would be if they could sing a little better)
Flakey Foont
#13 - 2012-04-30 20:25:47 UTC
It's for grownups.

MotherMoon
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#14 - 2012-04-30 20:25:51 UTC
single server mmorpg. IS the reason i love eve online. When I 1st starting playing 6000 online at a time was a big deal, and only 40,000 people had accounts. now we have 400,000 and I still don't have to tell my friends to move to my server, we don't have fight fights over space that has 100 other corps of it with 100 other corps fighting over it.

I haven't played eve in a looooong time, but it is still the only mmo I've ever felt like was really worth my time, effort, and support.

Stupid reach for beyond the stars goals set by the company

even if they don't always reach those goals... It's still awesome because most won't even attempt something risky.

http://dl.eve-files.com/media/1206/scimi.jpg

Solhild
Doomheim
#15 - 2012-04-30 20:28:26 UTC
It's an escape - of sorts Cool
FeralShadow
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#16 - 2012-04-30 20:37:13 UTC
All these reasons and more. Like that feeling you get with a well-executed destruction of the enemy fleet.

Long and the short of it is: It takes work, it has meaning, and everybody's tied in together.

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Thomas Kreshant
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#17 - 2012-04-30 20:42:11 UTC
I'm fairly sure I like the idea of the game more than the game itself but I hang out anyway to help fund an idea I enjoy.
TWHC Assistant
#18 - 2012-04-30 20:53:10 UTC
I do not love EVE - I live EVE.
Ank Parkor
WildSpace Otters
#19 - 2012-04-30 21:04:08 UTC
It teached me to hate mankind.
I love this game for that.

[u]Short time trader, short term missionner, long term ambitions.[/u]

Bring justice to EVE: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1171333

TWHC Assistant
#20 - 2012-04-30 21:28:04 UTC
Ank Parkor wrote:
It teached me to hate mankind.
I love this game for that.

It taught you. Amidoinitrite?
123Next pageLast page