These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page
 

No options for Hulk pilots?

Author
Noofels
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#1 - 2012-04-30 18:59:00 UTC
Ganking season!

There is no possible way to prevent yourself from being ganked in high-sec unless you stay docked. If there are enough enemies and money in their pockets, they can alpha any of my ships, is that correct?

You can't have a mining OP in high-sec. No matter how many corp mates in various ships I have orbiting my hulk, I would be destroyed by the suicide ganker's alpha strike. Even if I tank my Hulk up to the max, about 10-20 thrashers can still take it down.
At 10-20% of the cost of my hulk, I am destroyed. That loss is recouped by the manufacturer selling a hulk back to me and paying the gankers.

Yes, EVE is a dangerous place, but I think there should be a method for me to defend myself. My corp mates can't take the first shot because CONCORD will take them out. They can't make a retaliation because I am simply alpha-ed, not giving them any time to defend me.

So, how do I fly my Hulk? I've spent quite a while training and saving up for one, but as it stands, even after gank season is over, will I ever be able to actually fly it?

Can I pay CONCORD or another player to put some kind of shield extender on me? Maybe that way I would have enough EHP to require at least 50% in the cost of my Hulk to be lost by the gankers. As it stands, I can't fly what I own. In no possible fit. Simply because it is too profitable to let me stay alive.

I ask now. What legal methods do I have to prevent my Hulk from being destroyed in high-sec? The game provides avenues for the aggressors, but I see no visible avenues available for me as a defender.
Roll Sizzle Beef
Space Mutiny
#2 - 2012-04-30 19:01:11 UTC
standings, local, d-scan, not being afk.
Ana Vyr
Vyral Technologies
#3 - 2012-04-30 19:02:24 UTC
I typically just go play other games during Hulkageddon. It's CCP's "sandbox"...if they think this is good gameplay, they certainly are welcome to think so. Some folks seem to have a great time with Hulkageddon.
Tillin Sylph
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#4 - 2012-04-30 19:04:23 UTC
Stop playing EVE.
Fredfredbug4
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2012-04-30 19:05:06 UTC
Roll Sizzle Beef wrote:
standings, local, d-scan, not being afk.


Also, hire mercs, start scouting, mine in groups, draw concord to the belt, EHP fittings.

Watch_ Fred Fred Frederation_ and stop [u]cryptozoologist[/u]! Fight against the brutal genocide of fictional creatures across New Eden! Is that a metaphor? Probably not, but the fru-fru- people will sure love it!

Miilla
Hulkageddon Orphanage
#6 - 2012-04-30 19:05:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Miilla
Learn to align, learn to tank, learn to orca fleet mine, learn to mine in empty non-popular systems? Learn another profession? learn to play eve? Make friends, move to null and mine there? rent a system? Move to 1.0 rookie systems and mine? Learn to PVP? Learn to PVE? learn to Explore? Learn to market, learn to research, learn to manufacture?

The only person stopping you from playing is YOURSELF.
Alavaria Fera
Imperial Shipment
#7 - 2012-04-30 19:05:37 UTC
Noofels wrote:
Can I pay CONCORD or another player to put some kind of shield extender on me?

No, but you can whine to CCP until they just give you, free, more EHP <3

It is a very attractive option, you can do it WHILE you mine (yes, maintaining isk/hour) and if enough of you do it, you all benefit!

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Destination SkillQueue
Doomheim
#8 - 2012-04-30 19:06:07 UTC
There are several options available for you during these times. It's just that the stay still and continue to mine AFK isn't one of the good ones. If you choose to continue to use the best mining vessel for the job, you have to bail out at the first sign of trouble. This means learning to use the intel tools available and allows higher profits at the expense of having to pay constant attention to your surroundings. You can also choose to use a less efficient ship for mining, but which offers great tanking potential. Any 8 Turret battleship should do just fine.
Beekeeper Bob
Beekeepers Anonymous
#9 - 2012-04-30 19:06:39 UTC
Noofels wrote:
Ganking season!

There is no possible way to prevent yourself from being ganked in high-sec unless you stay docked. If there are enough enemies and money in their pockets, they can alpha any of my ships, is that correct?

You can't have a mining OP in high-sec. No matter how many corp mates in various ships I have orbiting my hulk, I would be destroyed by the suicide ganker's alpha strike. Even if I tank my Hulk up to the max, about 10-20 thrashers can still take it down.
At 10-20% of the cost of my hulk, I am destroyed. That loss is recouped by the manufacturer selling a hulk back to me and paying the gankers.

Yes, EVE is a dangerous place, but I think there should be a method for me to defend myself. My corp mates can't take the first shot because CONCORD will take them out. They can't make a retaliation because I am simply alpha-ed, not giving them any time to defend me.

So, how do I fly my Hulk? I've spent quite a while training and saving up for one, but as it stands, even after gank season is over, will I ever be able to actually fly it?

Can I pay CONCORD or another player to put some kind of shield extender on me? Maybe that way I would have enough EHP to require at least 50% in the cost of my Hulk to be lost by the gankers. As it stands, I can't fly what I own. In no possible fit. Simply because it is too profitable to let me stay alive.

I ask now. What legal methods do I have to prevent my Hulk from being destroyed in high-sec? The game provides avenues for the aggressors, but I see no visible avenues available for me as a defender.



Wrong.
It's possible to get ganked in highsec while mining, but if your doing it right, chances are the ganker will fail....or won't try due to your tank or defense.
However if your lazy and afk, odds are good that you will die. Cool



Signature removed - CCP Eterne

Karl Hobb
Imperial Margarine
#10 - 2012-04-30 19:07:00 UTC
Noofels wrote:
They can't make a retaliation because I am simply alpha-ed, not giving them any time to defend me.

Move to low-/null-sec, problem solved.

A professional astro-bastard was not available so they sent me.

FeralShadow
Kybernauts
#11 - 2012-04-30 19:07:58 UTC
If you really are that afraid to undock your hulk, just dont do it. Simple enough. Pvpers do that all the time.

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Miilla
Hulkageddon Orphanage
#12 - 2012-04-30 19:08:45 UTC
I can sit in a station all day and have fun and make isk, why can't you?
Lapine Davion
Outer Ring Applied Logistics
#13 - 2012-04-30 19:09:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Lapine Davion
An interesting way to fix this that i just came up with would be for a mining fleet (including the combat defense ships) to be flagged for open combat. Meaning that while the op is going on, anyone can shoot them, and they can shoot anyone else. That way your combat pilots could actually defend you, and you wouldn't have to go running to CCP every time some big, bad bear comes and blows your defenseless ship up.

Basically running a mining op would be like being wardecced to the whole galaxy, only it wouldn't be announced and would only last as long as there were mining ships actually mining and an orca providing bonuses.

[b]Don't worry about posting with your main!  Post with your brain! "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."[/b]

Rashino Zea
Brave Newbies Inc.
#14 - 2012-04-30 19:10:40 UTC
Lawyer up, hit the gym, delete facebook.
War Kitten
Panda McLegion
#15 - 2012-04-30 19:11:58 UTC
Son, any ship can get ganked anywhere it flies, anytime.

It's kind of the point of a pvp internet spaceships game.

I don't judge people by their race, religion, color, size, age, gender, or ethnicity. I judge them by their grammar, spelling, syntax, punctuation, clarity of expression, and logical consistency.

Angel Lust
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#16 - 2012-04-30 19:13:43 UTC
Just stop playing EVE until hulkageddon is over. Smile

You cant defend yourself... why risk a 400m hulk ? Blink

Just saying....
Dyner
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#17 - 2012-04-30 19:14:31 UTC
Fredfredbug4 wrote:
Roll Sizzle Beef wrote:
standings, local, d-scan, not being afk.


Also, hire mercs, start scouting, mine in groups, draw concord to the belt, EHP fittings.



I recall that being a bannable offense.

---

Though, I don't know why miners don't stock up on minerals during the "Mining Season" and then sell said minerals for a much greater profit during the Trials and Tribulations (aka Hulkaggeddon).

Or be there to scavenge when the gankers and victims go *boom*. Just get a cheap-fit indy ship with nanos (fast align) to get in and get the goods and warp out before their neutrals show up.
XIRUSPHERE
In Bacon We Trust
#18 - 2012-04-30 19:15:19 UTC
Roll Sizzle Beef wrote:
standings, local, d-scan, not being afk.


Add learn to set bookmarks and stayed aligned to that list, it offers near 100% safety if you actually bother to pay attention.

The advantage of a bad memory is that one can enjoy the same good things for the first time several times.

One will rarely err if extreme actions be ascribed to vanity, ordinary actions to habit, and mean actions to fear.

Revii Lagoon
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#19 - 2012-04-30 19:17:32 UTC
Why not move out of high sec? It's pretty obvious who is trying to kill you in low / null sec, in high sec it's pretty impossible to tell who is trying to kill you.
Beekeeper Bob
Beekeepers Anonymous
#20 - 2012-04-30 19:24:33 UTC
Dyner wrote:
Fredfredbug4 wrote:
Roll Sizzle Beef wrote:
standings, local, d-scan, not being afk.


Also, hire mercs, start scouting, mine in groups, draw concord to the belt, EHP fittings.



I recall that being a bannable offense.




Drawing Concord? Not anymore than drawing Concord away from a belt. Shocked

Signature removed - CCP Eterne

123Next pageLast page