These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Best PVP Frigate?

Author
deppth
Sunstone Mining and Industry Assembly
#1 - 2012-04-30 12:20:47 UTC
My corp is having a Frigate PVP tournament soon, I was wondering what you guys think the best 1v1 Frigate is in controlled conditions?

I was thinking of getting a Daredevil.

Any opinions?
Darius Brinn
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2012-04-30 12:31:11 UTC
I don't think there's a "best" frigate. It highly depends on your skills and the Tournament rules, like if you are allowed to disengage or whatever.

Also, it depends on your skills and experience. How are your drones? Your navigation, tanking and fitting skills? Can you use all weapon systems?

Do you have any idea of what your rivals might be flying?

Nobody can tell you "Daredevil" is the best, just like that, because LOL.

This said, the Daredevil and good skills would be a serious contender in any frigate tournament, I'm sure, but if it's you who's paying for it and the fitting, and losers see their ships destroyed, perhaps there are more Isk-effective alternatives.
deppth
#3 - 2012-04-30 12:35:40 UTC
My gunnery skills are pretty good, I fly a Legion usually so I have most of the navigation skills.

I have no idea what they'll be flying.

I have the ISK to splash out on a A-type fit if needed. I just can't make my mind up about what ship to fly!
Florio
Miniature Giant Space Hamsters
#4 - 2012-04-30 12:43:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Florio
Depends on what the arena rules are. Can you warp off? Is the arena the grid or are contestants not allowed to move a certain distance from a central can? What is the starting range? Is ECM permitted? Is any electronic warfare permitted? Etc.

Assuming no ECM and full grid and no warp out, I'd go for something fast with long range weapons. This rock-paper-scissors trumps anything slower and close range. A crow, for instance (but you'll nevertheless take ages to kill something with huge resists, an active tank and a cargohold full of cap boosters).
Lunkwill Khashour
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#5 - 2012-04-30 12:48:01 UTC
Bring a Cruor or Sentinel
deppth
#6 - 2012-04-30 12:50:29 UTC
You can warp off.

20KM Start distance

Apart from that there isn't any rules!
Danny John-Peter
The Congregation
OnlyFleets.
#7 - 2012-04-30 15:55:20 UTC
Navy Slicer, Orbit at edge of T2 Point range with scorch, with good range control no other frig will touch you.
Petrus Blackshell
Rifterlings
#8 - 2012-04-30 16:47:29 UTC
Danny John-Peter wrote:
Navy Slicer, Orbit at edge of T2 Point range with scorch, with good range control no other frig will touch you.

This, or you can go with a raildevil (Daredevil with rails) with a faction web, AB, and armor rep, and do the same thing at 14-15 km with more damage and nil chance to get caught accidentally.

Accidentally The Whole Frigate - For-newbies blog (currently on pause)

Korg Tronix
Mole Station Nursery
#9 - 2012-04-30 16:55:18 UTC
Petrus Blackshell wrote:
Danny John-Peter wrote:

This, or you can go with a raildevil (Daredevil with rails) with a faction web, AB, and armor rep, and do the same thing at 14-15 km with more damage and nil chance to get caught accidentally.

Either this or get something that can fit multiple different fits depending on what you have to face (is it a FFA or 1v1?) Id recommend a hookbill or Hawk as they are quite nice for versatility and damage at 'Range'. The Daredevil is still probably the best choice if you have no idea what others are bringing though.

Evil: If I were creating the world I wouldn't mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o'clock, Day One! [zaps one of his minions accidentally, minion screams]

Zyress
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#10 - 2012-04-30 17:21:23 UTC
If I had to pick one not knowing what the opposition is or any other details then I'd have to say the Dramiel is the best.
Valoche Mrehl
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#11 - 2012-04-30 17:42:36 UTC
Unless you have to destroy the opponent to win I'd personally go for a light missile crow or similar ship. Speedy Dram could work well too though the drones will go bye bye pretty fast.

Something that can plink at extreme frigate ranges and has 5-7k+ speed to outrun anything else. Keep your distance from everyone. Orbit at 50 or 60k and just launch missiles. Only danger to you is more incoming light missile damage (unlikely), lucky arti/rail hits that transversal should negate, or faster ships which fit+implants should prevent.

If they have a buffer fit they will lose.
If they are cap hungry and rely on cap boosters for tank/prop mod they will lose when their cap runs out.
If they have a sustainable tank, they will not die.

This is the Catenaccio of frigate strategies. You might not win, but you wont lose.

Other similar strategies would utilize the Keres (m00cho range damps) or Kitsune (ecm-ragetry).

If you want to blow ships up, go finesse w/ a scorch/rail mwd ship and kite (this is the slicer/DD/comet arena) or brute w/ an mwd fit enyo or blarpy and practive your boomeranging.

Depending on the skill level of your opposition a max dps, speedy blaster boat might just pop opponents before their intended tactics can be initiated. It will almost certainly out damage any tanky AF ala vengeance.
Fleet Warpsujarento
Doomheim
#12 - 2012-04-30 17:46:52 UTC
Griffin.
Lady Spank
Get Out Nasty Face
#13 - 2012-04-30 18:42:08 UTC
Slicer. Daredevils are easily countered when you know you are facing one and have trouble versus some AFs anyway.

Slicers can also be countered but the main way... Tracking Disruption is likely ruled out.

If anything goes then just use something really lame like an ECM drone ishkur/worm.

(ಠ_ృ) ~ It Takes a Million Years to Become Diamonds So Lets Just Burn Like Coal Until the Sky's Black ~ (ಠ_ృ)

Lunkwill Khashour
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#14 - 2012-04-30 20:13:09 UTC
You can fly a beamslicer at 50k:
[Imperial Navy Slicer, beamslicer]

Medium Beam Laser II, Aurora S
Medium Beam Laser II, Aurora S
[Empty High slot]

Limited 1MN MicroWarpdrive I
Sensor Booster II, Targeting Range Script

Heat Sink II
Heat Sink II
Tracking Enhancer II
Nanofiber Internal Structure II
Overdrive Injector System II

Small Energy Locus Coordinator I
[Empty Rig slot]
Small Energy Collision Accelerator I

A raptor or any missile ship can also do the long range thing. The Hawk and the Harpy can sit even further.

If you need to fight within disruptor range:
[Sentinel, 1v1]

Imperial Navy Small Energy Neutralizer

Balmer Series Tracking Disruptor I
Warp Disruptor II
Stasis Webifier II
Small Capacitor Booster II, Navy Cap Booster 400

Corpii C-Type Small Armor Repairer
Corpii C-Type Small Armor Repairer
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II

Small Auxiliary Nano Pump I
Small Auxiliary Nano Pump I

Warrior II x4
Hobgoblin II x4
Hornet EC-300 x4

Neut range is 22k and neuts out any frig with its second cycle.
Cedo Nulli
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#15 - 2012-04-30 22:04:59 UTC
deppth wrote:

I was thinking of getting a Daredevil.

Any opinions?

No.
deppth
#16 - 2012-05-01 09:14:02 UTC
I've gone with this fit for the moment.

Modal Light Neutron Particle Accelerator I
True Sansha Small Nosferatu

Small Anti-Explosive Pump I
Small Ancillary Current Router I
Small Nanobot Accelerator I

Centii A-Type Adaptive Nano Plating
Corpii A-Type Small Armor Repairer
Damage Control II
True Sansha Heat Sink

Coreli A-Type 1MN Afterburner
Micro Brief Capacitor Overcharge I
Federation Navy Stasis Webifier

Rel'k Bloodlor
Federation Front Line Report
Federation Front Line
#17 - 2012-05-01 09:25:51 UTC
deppth wrote:
I've gone with this fit for the moment.

True Sansha Small Nosferatu

Small Anti-Explosive Pump I
Small Ancillary Current Router I
Small Nanobot Accelerator I

Centii A-Type Adaptive Nano Plating
Corpii A-Type Small Armor Repairer
Damage Control II
True Sansha Heat Sink

Coreli A-Type 1MN Afterburner
Micro Brief Capacitor Overcharge I
Federation Navy Stasis Webifier

so this is on what ship? cuz if its a DD than you should just self destruct it so you don't get the lose mail on any KBs
LOL true sansha's nos, and a true sansha's heat sink for them meta 4 blasters LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
aw man can i enter this, i need some cash and if your all flying fail fit pinatas.......................

I wanted to paint my space ship red, but I couldn't find enough goats. 

deppth
#18 - 2012-05-01 09:27:57 UTC
For some reason we're not allowed tech II weapons?!

Don't ask me why, I only found this out yesterday!
Rel'k Bloodlor
Federation Front Line Report
Federation Front Line
#19 - 2012-05-01 09:31:37 UTC
that dos not explain why you have a laser boosting mod for blasters or a nose that's 3X the price of the c-type version that's better......

I wanted to paint my space ship red, but I couldn't find enough goats. 

deppth
#20 - 2012-05-01 09:35:56 UTC
True.... LOL

I didn't even realize I had a Heat Sink in....

Fail.
12Next page