These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Amazing roleplaying donrt understand the negativity

First post First post
Author
Ioci
Bad Girl Posse
Somethin Awfull Forums
#41 - 2012-04-30 15:24:46 UTC
This thread got hi-jacked long ago but in terms of RP, EVE has it like all games do. Like all games that RP can be inclusive or intrusive and only one every gets very far. The way it should be.

R.I.P. Vile Rat

Kengutsi Akira
Doomheim
#42 - 2012-04-30 15:24:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Kengutsi Akira
Tallian Saotome wrote:
TWHC Assistant wrote:
Confirming, CSM is role-play.

He wasn't in his CSM role, he was in his role as leader of goonswarm, since that was the ALLIANCE LEADER PANEL, not the CSM panel.

Thats kind of the whole point of the OP.

Different note, Heath Ledger was a method actor. If you are familiar with method acting you would realize that once he took the role, he submerged himself in the character, and STAYED there til after he was done filming the movie. This means he did not get a break from being submerged in a role that was presumably against his character(I didn't know the guy, can't actually say he wasn't an insane mass murdering clown who just never got caught) so it doesn't actually hold up next to role playing, where you leave the role on a very regular basis and have the relief of being yourself for as long as you need to.

And yeah if you DONT, as in have an issue seperating real life from game, its time to take a break.

Seriously.

And also as a Wiccan (my character is an atheist) who views what he does as witchcraft, who has seem probably 75% of the books he's read since the age of 13 (Im 35) on the subject refer to Wicca AS witchcraft I really dont see that fine fine difference youre trying for.

It would be as if you said the same thing about Christianity, but were referring to Christians in specific. Referring to the broad, you insult Prodestants, Presbetyrians, Pentecostals, Mormons, and Catholics (and Im sorry for any misspellings) just to name a few.

TheBlueMonkey wrote:
I blame world of borecraft for polluting and softening the minds of some eve players.

Which the RPers or non, Goons or non?

"Is it fair that CCP can get away with..." :: checks ownership on the box ::

Yes

Amanda Holland
Doomheim
#43 - 2012-04-30 15:27:40 UTC
Eternum Praetorian wrote:
Wait a minute?

Does this mean that Amanda Holland is replacing Lady Harlot as The Mitanni's new ego fapping alt? I don't think I got the memo TBH.

um Dunno who Lady Harlot is (I am relatively new)
ut unless youre every person who dislikes Mittani's alt Im assuming youd understand how ppl can agree and not all be the same person Roll

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) vroom vroom motorcycle CCP to the sandbox: "This "adapt or die" attitude is nothing new to EVE, but we want to give it a constant rhythm that is a bit more under our control than in the past"

Vera Denjuros
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#44 - 2012-04-30 15:29:11 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Vera Denjuros wrote:

I was not examining the question of right and wrong, I was examining the consequenses for both persons, I thought that was plain, I am sorry that you got it wrong.

Too late to back-pedal.

You declared that the action was the fault of the other player, not the mittani.

Back pedal your face bum, if you want to take what I said completly out of context and be a prick about it then I suggest you go hump a cactus. I have no will to argue with dumbasses like you.
Kengutsi Akira
Doomheim
#45 - 2012-04-30 15:29:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Kengutsi Akira
Amanda Holland wrote:
Mars Theran wrote:
Id ask you to edit that I know sane Wiccans and they dont take well to lies about their religion.

I knew some wiccans in high school, first they drew attention to themselves and their religion by pasting "born again Pegan" stickers on their binders, and then they got pissed when people noticed it and said, huh? I always thought that was special.

Cool story bro
but one group of "doin it wrong" people does not a whole religion make nor base themselves off of

[quote=Corina Jarr]If someone is "RPing" when they kill another person, they still go to jail (or death penalty, depending on location... or get off due to pathetic legal loopholes).

Doesn't matter if the Mittani was RPing or not, he got what CCP determined to be a suitable punishment.

Edit: also, likely to be locked

Unless you do it in a video game, yes.

And ppl that dont get that context ARE the problem. Like how its entirely cool for someone to tell someone to go pod themselves in game but not the same sentiment IRL.

"Is it fair that CCP can get away with..." :: checks ownership on the box ::

Yes

Tallian Saotome
Nuclear Arms Exchange Inc.
#46 - 2012-04-30 15:32:46 UTC
Kengutsi Akira wrote:
Amanda Holland wrote:
Mars Theran wrote:
Id ask you to edit that I know sane Wiccans and they dont take well to lies about their religion.

I knew some wiccans in high school, first they drew attention to themselves and their religion by pasting "born again Pegan" stickers on their binders, and then they got pissed when people noticed it and said, huh? I always thought that was special.

Cool story bro
but one group of "doin it wrong" people does not a whole religion make nor base themselves off of

[quote=Corina Jarr]If someone is "RPing" when they kill another person, they still go to jail (or death penalty, depending on location... or get off due to pathetic legal loopholes).

Doesn't matter if the Mittani was RPing or not, he got what CCP determined to be a suitable punishment.

Unless you do it in a video game, yes.

And ppl that dont get that context ARE the problem. Like how its entirely cool for someone to tell someone to go pod themselves in game but not the same sentiment IRL.

TBH, I never met a single Wiccan who wasn't kinda douchy in high school, because we all felt being different made us special.

Being an adult cures you of that REAL quick.

Inappropriate signature removed, CCP Phantom.

Amanda Holland
Doomheim
#47 - 2012-04-30 15:34:16 UTC
Vera Denjuros wrote:
Mars Theran wrote:
First, I'd like to note that Heath Ledger killed himself shortly after playing that role, following a period of depression where he stayed in doors and refused to communicate with friends, family, or peers to my knowledge.

That doesn't speak well of the effects of role-acting a clinically insane, twisted freak of nature on the mind of the actor. Less so when that actor delves to deeply into the psyche of the character in an attempt to better understand his motivations and intentions to improve their ability to portray the persona and archetype of that character.

Did you know that Friedrich Nietzsche slowly developed insanity during his career as a writer, delving into the less savory aspects of humankind, their nature, and the nature of Evil. Trying to understand such things isn't always a good idea; particularly if someone is already slightly imbalanced of mind as he was. Of course, it might have just been something in the Ink.

And so its a logical correlation to say that the cause of these two isolated cases of insanity was that they explored the baser nature of the human psyche? Are you familiar with the term "a fallicy of correlation and causation"?

You assumed that because the one thing, insanity, happened after the other, that it was the cause but we all now that in 99 out of 100 other similar cases, both of insanity and of roleplaying the bad guy, there was no link whatsoever. This is the same sort of failed logic that causes religious fools to believe in miracles.

Did you consider that maybe it was the other way around? Logically that is completly valid.

As far as I know, Sean Bean doesnt have any mental problems and hes played the bad guy in over 20 films.

David Lynch is a perfectly sane person dispite the nature of his films.

Incidently, Michael Jackson went insane after having his skin tone changed to white, so maybe being white is the cause of insanity.

Do you see what Im getting at? Dont you feel like a ****** now? Hang on to that feeling, you are going to need it if you continue to use logic like that.

Kinda what I was getting ah here: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1217047#post1217047

and was dismissed lol

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) vroom vroom motorcycle CCP to the sandbox: "This "adapt or die" attitude is nothing new to EVE, but we want to give it a constant rhythm that is a bit more under our control than in the past"

Cipher Jones
The Thomas Edwards Taco Tuesday All Stars
#48 - 2012-04-30 15:34:35 UTC
Quote:
go hump a cactus

So that's how they get water in them in an arid climate.

internet spaceships

are serious business sir.

and don't forget it

Amanda Holland
Doomheim
#49 - 2012-04-30 15:38:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Amanda Holland
Vera Denjuros wrote:
Bischopt wrote:
Corina Jarr wrote:
If someone is "RPing" when they kill another person, they still go to jail (or death penalty, depending on location... or get off due to pathetic legal loopholes).

I was gonna say this as well.

Is it alright for me to beat someone to a pulp in real life because i was just roleplaying...?

He was punished for a EULA breach, for saying the guys ingame name and encouraging people to harrass him. The punishment was a 30 day ban which is quite a long one for his transgression. I doubt that it would be the same had there not been such a polical shitstorm about it.

This had little to do with the things everyone was so ******* outraged about actually. Most of those lot was angry at the guy for mocking a suicical person. Massively ran the story as "cyberbullying" before actually looking into it and afterwards had to backpeddle and ended up apologizing for running an obviously unfounded sensationalist story.

So here we are.

I invite you to consider: Who was wronged more?

The person in question had his ingame persona publizised and was publicly rediculed for his suicide story, if there was any relation to real life then the person himself decided to bring that inside the confines of the game, which means the fault is his own.

The Mitanni had his real life name publizised in a very negative context for things he did within the confines of the game. Now, every time someone googles his name, up pops the "cyberbullying" troll.

A lot of people on these forums should benefit from a reality check.

Food for thought.

this - what I was trying to say yet apparently failed was I dont understnd all the consternation AFTER the punishment
-had to put it in its own post cause too many quotes

Cipher Jones wrote:
Quote:
The drunken comment and afterwards is amazing when you look at it in the light of he was RPing.

A total load of bullshit.

If he was roleplaying he would have encouraged the character to biomass, not the player to kill himself.

He overtly admits that. For you to deny it is ******* absurd.

so when you tell someone else to kill someone in game you ACTUALLY mean youre gonna murder them not shoot them with your guns?

Yeah load of bullshit

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#50 - 2012-04-30 16:10:44 UTC
Amanda needs a break or something. Not really sure.

Unsubscribing.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Serene Repose
#51 - 2012-04-30 16:37:21 UTC
I can see a defense attorney making this argument before the Iceland Media Board. Famous last words.

We must accommodate the idiocracy.

CCP Guard
C C P
C C P Alliance
#52 - 2012-04-30 18:25:33 UTC
Thread cleaned of off topic posts. I've got my eyes on this thread despite what my portrait might indicate.

CCP Guard | EVE Community Developer | @CCP_Guard

Fredfredbug4
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#53 - 2012-04-30 18:57:53 UTC
People need to stop bringing this **** up. The Mitanni apologized (sincerely) and he was appropriately punished. You can't change it and further discussing it only extends the already existing bad blood among this heavily divided community of ours.

It's already been established that in-game characters and rivalries should not carry into the real world.

Watch_ Fred Fred Frederation_ and stop [u]cryptozoologist[/u]! Fight against the brutal genocide of fictional creatures across New Eden! Is that a metaphor? Probably not, but the fru-fru- people will sure love it!

Ana Vyr
Vyral Technologies
#54 - 2012-04-30 19:19:17 UTC
Psssst, that wasn't roleplaying. /whisper
Metal Icarus
Wraithguard.
The Wraithguard.
#55 - 2012-04-30 19:36:16 UTC
I like the OP's opinion on RP in eve.

Although, it disgusts me that while people say its just a game and they RP as a pirate (Joker) and scam people, they call people dumb and stupid for RPing as a white knight (batman).

I want to see more white knights, fighting the pirates and scammers to make EVE a better place. They can be RPers too!
Markus Reese
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#56 - 2012-04-30 19:51:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Markus Reese
EULA wrote:
Roleplaying does not allow violation of rules

Or something like that, enough said.

Edit: Maybe more

I could care less about what somebody roleplays. I have roleplayed the badguy pirate in other games. In eve I have and still roleplay as part of the anti sansha group even though without more live events, it is a bit slower. One thing that always comes into play is that other players are peeps, and when I play the badguy etc, it is still gf and I treat them as the opposite team just like any other game.

To quote Lfod Shi

The ratting itself is PvE. Getting away with it is PvP.

Amanda Holland
Doomheim
#57 - 2012-04-30 20:55:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Amanda Holland
Fredfredbug4 wrote:
People need to stop bringing this **** up. The Mitanni apologized (sincerely) and he was appropriately punished. You can't change it and further discussing it only extends the already existing bad blood among this heavily divided community of ours.

It's already been established that in-game characters and rivalries should not carry into the real world.

I wasnt bringing it up to bash him, Im bringing it up to show support given all the other threads seem to be on the anti-mittani side
Also, I dont think forgetting it and/or pretending it never happened is good for it either

Ana Vyr wrote:
Psssst, that wasn't roleplaying. /whisper

Proof please that the reason he apologized was because he GENUINELY felt he'd done wrong and not because the comment was blown out of proportion. I heard the EVE-Radio thing. When he made the apology, he "dropped character". Which shows that till then he was in character.

Metal Icarus wrote:
I like the OP's opinion on RP in eve.

Although, it disgusts me that while people say its just a game and they RP as a pirate (Joker) and scam people, they call people dumb and stupid for RPing as a white knight (batman).

I want to see more white knights, fighting the pirates and scammers to make EVE a better place. They can be RPers too!

What jobs are in EVE available to the white knight personality? Can you... go around and kill criminals on sight without CONCORD then killing you? Killing suicide gankers before they find a target? Oh yeah... CONCORD. Can you bring scammers to justice? Bring positive sec pirates to justice when theyre in high sec?

Guess you could go into lowsec to hunt pirates, kill belt rats, Mission I guess.

EVE just isnt a game where the good guys prosper OR really play on an even playing field with those that play evil.

Markus Reese wrote:
EULA wrote:
Roleplaying does not allow violation of rules

Or something like that, enough said.

Edit: Maybe more

I could care less about what somebody roleplays. I have roleplayed the badguy pirate in other games. In eve I have and still roleplay as part of the anti sansha group even though without more live events, it is a bit slower. One thing that always comes into play is that other players are peeps, and when I play the badguy etc, it is still gf and I treat them as the opposite team just like any other game.

Note: I never said "mittani did no wrong, he never should have been punished."
I said I dont get all the outrage after the apology (which even HE says he was out of character FOR). He aplogised. He was going to step down from the CSM. REMOVING him from the CSM THEN banning him for 30 days was far and above what was called for in this situation. The ONLY reason that happened was because the gaming press got the wrong facts (or lied) about the original story and so badly blew up the fake story that they went back and corrected it under pressure (pressure that the editor at massively for one called in itself cyberbullying). Mittani's real life info was leaked, his address was leaked, he's tagged as a cyberbully now, all for an off the cuff, stupid, drunken, mistake.

When is the permaban of the guy that leaked Mittani's info coming? Thats the usual response for THAT infraction by CCP.

Mars Theran
Foreign Interloper
#58 - 2012-04-30 21:21:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Mars Theran
Vera Denjuros wrote:
Mars Theran wrote:
First, I'd like to note that Heath Ledger killed himself shortly after playing that role, following a period of depression where he stayed in doors and refused to communicate with friends, family, or peers to my knowledge.

That doesn't speak well of the effects of role-acting a clinically insane, twisted freak of nature on the mind of the actor. Less so when that actor delves to deeply into the psyche of the character in an attempt to better understand his motivations and intentions to improve their ability to portray the persona and archetype of that character.

Did you know that Friedrich Nietzsche slowly developed insanity during his career as a writer, delving into the less savory aspects of humankind, their nature, and the nature of Evil. Trying to understand such things isn't always a good idea; particularly if someone is already slightly imbalanced of mind as he was. Of course, it might have just been something in the Ink.

And so its a logical correlation to say that the cause of these two isolated cases of insanity was that they explored the baser nature of the human psyche? Are you familiar with the term "a fallicy of correlation and causation"?

You assumed that because the one thing, insanity, happened after the other, that it was the cause but we all now that in 99 out of 100 other similar cases, both of insanity and of roleplaying the bad guy, there was no link whatsoever. This is the same sort of failed logic that causes religious fools to believe in miracles.

Did you consider that maybe it was the other way around? Logically that is completly valid.

As far as I know, Sean Bean doesnt have any mental problems and hes played the bad guy in over 20 films.

David Lynch is a perfectly sane person dispite the nature of his films.

Incidently, Michael Jackson went insane after having his skin tone changed to white, so maybe being white is the cause of insanity.

Do you see what Im getting at? Dont you feel like a ****** now? Hang on to that feeling, you are going to need it if you continue to use logic like that.

They're just examples, and I never suggested Heath Ledger was insane. Most people who do what he did are not insane at all. If they were they probably would have done something else.

"Tallian Saotome" wrote:
Different note, Heath Ledger was a method actor. If you are familiar with method acting you would realize that once he took the role, he submerged himself in the character, and STAYED there til after he was done filming the movie. This means he did not get a break from being submerged in a role that was presumably against his character(I didn't know the guy, can't actually say he wasn't an insane mass murdering clown who just never got caught) so it doesn't actually hold up next to role playing, where you leave the role on a very regular basis and have the relief of being yourself for as long as you need to.

This is essentially what I was indicating. If you read my posts, you would see that I never actually compared the Mittani to either of these individuals. I was just using them as a reference point and example to show how people can potentially enter unrecoverable states as a result of exposure to certain elements that most people never experience. Two extreme examples to be sure.

You are way off base with your assumptions of my thinking to. Michael Jackson was loopy for alltogether different reasons. Have you ever heard of the connection between child stars and mental disorders?

Take into account that he was African American fighting racism, pushed by a family that was obsessive in their desire to see him and the rest of their children gain fame, etc... you see what I am getting at. Changing his skin to more resemble white and getting plastic surgery to make himself less African American in appearance is only a symptom.

Anyway, you seem to have flung the whole idea off into never-never land there, so I'm just going to leave it at that.

This whole series of threads is a little off-base with accusations and prolonged discussion over what is essentially a moot point anyhow.
zubzubzubzubzubzubzubzub
Mathias Hex
#59 - 2012-04-30 22:34:07 UTC
Amanda Holland wrote:
and Im not a Goon. THEY tend to be pro Mittani without hiding behind NPC alts lol

Unless they are trying to be creative. I mean you... Unless you are trying to be creative!

I recall one night in a nightclub called the matrix, there I was... Mother of god there I am! Holy f**k.

MatrixSkye Mk2
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#60 - 2012-04-30 23:32:13 UTC
Just two comments and a question:

#1 He wasn't role-playing.

#2 He wasn't role-playing.

Q1 Do you know what role-playing means?

Successfully doinitwrong™ since 2006.