These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

CCP - Scamming in Rookie Systems

Author
Sentinel Smith
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2012-04-27 21:17:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Sentinel Smith
GM Homonoia wrote:
I shall make this real simple: Do not mess with rookies in rookie systems in any way.

This was the statement in my other thread about the "Rules of Engagement" in Rookie systems.

So this begs the question, what about Scammers ?

We have this person in Clellinon, '3rd Amarr Manufacturer' who posts scam contracts on local. I've reported him twice, but as is standard, the GM's just say they will look into it, but don't tell you if action will be taken or not, and just after the last petition was closed, he posted it again...

Now I'm dead against it.. a new player has no idea about scam contracts, margin trading, etc.. They got an account, maybe a PLEX to get some isk, and there is someone who is easily screwing them as much or more with a scam contract, as they would be if they baited and destroyed them.

Is this type of action permitted ? Is it something that is being/should be reviewed ? Or is it supported by CCP/GM's as just part of the game, like it is in all other systems ?
Geneosity
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2012-04-28 21:08:09 UTC
i think as in real life this is normal. in real life there are no people telling you how to use your own money or?
Sentinel Smith
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2012-04-28 21:13:04 UTC
Geneosity wrote:
i think as in real life this is normal. in real life there are no people telling you how to use your own money or?

In real life, if you leave the town your school was in, you don't get to start shooting people :p

This is a game after all, with rules.. some just haven't been fully defined, or are still evolving..

And if I were to bait a newbie, and destroy his Navitas, or Atron.. I cost him 400k, assuming a good fit.. If I scam him for 500mil.. well I cost him 500mill.. And chances are, either way, they are gonna have the same negative impression of the game.. then either stick with it, or leave..
Ai Shun
#4 - 2012-04-28 21:21:56 UTC
Sentinel Smith wrote:
We have this person in Clellinon, '3rd Amarr Manufacturer' who posts scam contracts on local. I've reported him twice, but as is standard, the GM's just say they will look into it, but don't tell you if action will be taken or not, and just after the last petition was closed, he posted it again...

Why didn't you suicide gank him?
Sentinel Smith
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2012-04-28 21:30:11 UTC
He doesn't undock for as long as I've seen him.
Sid Hudgens
Doomheim
#6 - 2012-04-28 21:40:32 UTC
Ah ... imagine suicide ganking inside stations.

If incarna had only brought the ability to suicide gank scammers inside stations (as seen in the future vision trailer) nobody would have shot any monuments as we'd have been too busy shooting scammers and spammers in jita.

"....as if 10,058 Goon voices cried out and were suddenly silenced."

Sentinel Smith
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2012-04-29 20:02:57 UTC
I'd like to see a response from CCP About this.. as it continues.
Katarina Reid
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#8 - 2012-04-29 20:34:41 UTC
Sentinel Smith wrote:
Geneosity wrote:

In real life, if you leave the town your school was in, you don't get to start shooting people :p

This is a game after all, with rules.. some just haven't been fully defined, or are still evolving..

And if I were to bait a newbie, and destroy his Navitas, or Atron.. I cost him 400k, assuming a good fit.. If I scam him for 500mil.. well I cost him 500mill.. And chances are, either way, they are gonna have the same negative impression of the game.. then either stick with it, or leave..

where did he get this 500mil if hes a new player? Its only new players not everyone hiding in a rookie system.
Beekeeper Bob
Beekeepers Anonymous
#9 - 2012-04-29 21:25:00 UTC
Sentinel Smith wrote:
GM Homonoia wrote:
I shall make this real simple: Do not mess with rookies in rookie systems in any way.

This was the statement in my other thread about the "Rules of Engagement" in Rookie systems.

So this begs the question, what about Scammers ?

Now I'm dead against it.. a new player has no idea about scam contracts, margin trading, etc.. They got an account, maybe a PLEX to get some isk, and there is someone who is easily screwing them as much or more with a scam contract, as they would be if they baited and destroyed them.

Is this type of action permitted ? Is it something that is being/should be reviewed ? Or is it supported by CCP/GM's as just part of the game, like it is in all other systems ?

Is english a second language to you?

"in any way"

How hard is that to understand? Shocked

Signature removed - CCP Eterne

TriadSte
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2012-04-29 21:40:11 UTC
Going after noobs is not right at all on any level. It simply shows what kind of scumbag you are in real life to want to do that to someone.

CCP have to knock this on the head right away because alot of people take the 14 day trial, join game, get scammed and/or ship blown up etc they then think "this games crap" and thats a possible sub CCP losses because of idiotic low lifers.

IMHO if a char is less than 4 weeks old and is scammed any amount of isk is refunded to the player and the same amount taken from the scammer.

Evil Brock Nelson
#11 - 2012-04-29 21:41:47 UTC
What the **** is there to scam from noobs anyways?
TriadSte
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2012-04-29 21:46:24 UTC
There is pretty easy ways of making enough for a plex - ish within the first 14 days these days so I'm told...
Sha Kharn
Post Mortem Services
#13 - 2012-04-29 21:49:35 UTC
Important eve life lessons at the start will aid them in the future.

Its good for them I say.
TriadSte
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2012-04-29 21:51:46 UTC
Sha Kharn wrote:
Important eve life lessons at the start will aid them in the future.

Its good for them I say.

Your wrong.
Sha Kharn
Post Mortem Services
#15 - 2012-04-29 21:59:48 UTC
Better they learn after a few weeks of hard work and so much more to loose ?
THE L0CK
Denying You Access
#16 - 2012-04-29 22:02:18 UTC
Yes we understand that you like tormenting noobs. No need to tell us your exploits in a narrative form each week.

Do you smell what the Lock's cooking?

Spy 21
Doomheim
#17 - 2012-04-29 22:05:49 UTC
Can't decide which I prefer... having noobs learn about scammers early the hard way, or having them cruise along for 6 months being protected from them then getting taken for 1.5 billion cause they never learned the lesson.

Maybe CCP should add a scamming example mission to the business career mission story line. Give the pilot a million isk and through the course of the mission scam him right out of it...

S

Obfuscation for the WIN on page 3...

Sha Kharn
Post Mortem Services
#18 - 2012-04-29 22:09:20 UTC
Spy 21 wrote:
Maybe CCP should add a scamming example mission to the business career mission story line. Give the pilot a million isk and through the course of the mission scam him right out of it...

S

Cool idea.

Sentinel Smith
Gallente Federation
#19 - 2012-04-29 22:14:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Sentinel Smith
Beekeeper Bob wrote:

Is english a second language to you?

"in any way"

How hard is that to understand? Shocked

Probably comes from the fact that I've reported him at least twice, as have others, and yet he's still there..

And where do noobs get 500mil ? PLEX mostly, some get it as gifts from friends that have played.. You'd be amazed how many noobs you see in Navy BS's a week into the game..

Oh and yes.. I love tormenting the noobs.. it's why when he posts it on Local I point out it's a scam, and am trying to get CCP to step up the the plate and come down on these people.. Yep.. I'm pure evil..

As for noobs not learning and getting it later on.. ya, it may happen, but the longer your in the game, the more time you are gonna have to pick up on this stuff, so you don't get screwed later on.
Lictor Yeva
WoonGaffe
#20 - 2012-04-29 22:16:53 UTC
Scamming in the rookie systems is pretty low, even for the usual suspects in EVE, and I hope CCP will take some action against that kind of behavior.

At least give people a few hours online before you try to steal their stuff, that's just common courtesy.

12Next page