These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

locked out at under 1900 pop?

First post
Author
Xenuria
#41 - 2012-04-27 19:37:53 UTC
The point I am trying to make is that if ANY system ANYWHERE in EVE prevents users from jumping in because of how many people are in there already or how much stuff is going on then the game is no longer single shard.

It becomes single shard under specific circumstances instead of being single shard under ever circumstance.

This is a caveat.

EVE ONLINE

SINGLE SHARD WORLD.....

Except when Jita is getting swarmed... CCP~
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#42 - 2012-04-27 19:42:20 UTC
Xenuria wrote:
The point I am trying to make is that if ANY system ANYWHERE in EVE prevents users from jumping in because of how many people are in there already or how much stuff is going on then the game is no longer single shard.
Yes it is. Being a single shard is not dependent on having pop caps. It's still a single shard — TQ — and it's still a single continuous universe.

All that's happening is that you have to wait your turn to get into a specific system. This is nothing new. It doesn't affect the number of shards.

Quote:
It becomes single shard under specific circumstances instead of being single shard under ever circumstance.
No. It remains a single shard under all circumstances. They do not suddenly start a new server cluster to pick up the slack, nor do they start cloning instances out of nowhere.

If you're going to use these words, learn what they mean first.
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#43 - 2012-04-27 19:42:27 UTC
Xenuria wrote:

This is a caveat.

EVE ONLINE

SINGLE SHARD WORLD.....

/facepalm

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Mongo Travler
Recreational Hazards
#44 - 2012-04-27 19:43:10 UTC
Last night I was in Jita the population was at ~2k and at 95% time dilation. Sitting in station was more or less fine and dandy but undocking and doing anything was miserably slow and choppy. From a layman's perspective it appeared the performance degradation was anything but smooth.
Zaxix
State War Academy
Caldari State
#45 - 2012-04-27 19:44:07 UTC
Midge Mo'yb wrote:
i see no reason for the cap as it currently is...

Everything is permitted; nothing is forbidden. Welcome to the sandbox.

Bokononist

Beekeeper Bob
Beekeepers Anonymous
#46 - 2012-04-27 19:46:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Beekeeper Bob
CCP Goliath wrote:
We raise and lower the cap based on technological factors - if the system is getting hammered repeatedly, sometimes it has to be lowered to ensure performance. Simple as that.

Jita is on a single node, and you still can't make it run right? Shocked

Although giving the average player the chance to see your fine coding ability in action, might almost be worth it...Lol

"CCP's answer to lag, lets lag everyone!"

To bad it doesn't lag evenly.....

Signature removed - CCP Eterne

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#47 - 2012-04-27 19:46:06 UTC
Xenuria wrote:

This is a caveat.

EVE ONLINE

SINGLE SHARD WORLD.....

To give you a real life comparison on how dumb this statement actually is consider this,

If Jita was a football stadium (american football, or what the rest of the world considers to be football and americans call soccer, it doesn't matter) and was filled to capacity would you still expect to get in to see the game? The answer is no, it's a single location (shard) that just happens to be jam packed to capacity. If you got to the gates and it was full and the stewards sent you to another stadium to watch the same game with the same teams at the same time then that would be an instanced location.

Its probably a completely batshit comparison but it works for me.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Serge Bastana
GWA Corp
#48 - 2012-04-27 19:47:14 UTC
Xenuria wrote:
CCP Goliath wrote:
We raise and lower the cap based on technological factors - if the system is getting hammered repeatedly, sometimes it has to be lowered to ensure performance. Simple as that.

That is not right though!
One of the biggest selling points of EVE is that all of the players are on one single shard, NOT realms.
If players are literally prevented from participating in a large scale event that just happens to be in a trade hub or system that should be reinforced anyway then the game is going to stop being a sandbox and start being a typical MMO.

It really is not surprise that you didn't make CSM. You're a worse representative of high sec than the one who did get in.

WoW holds your hand until end game, and gives you a cookie whether you win or lose. EVE not only takes your cookie, but laughs at you for bringing one in the first place...

Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#49 - 2012-04-27 19:49:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Mr Epeen
I bet if CCP hauled one of their underpaid interns away from running coffee and parked them in Jita deleting spambots, the system would smooth out rather nicely. Prolly be able to cram another 500 or so ships in there and ease off the TiDi as well.

Mr Epeen Cool
Xenuria
#50 - 2012-04-27 19:50:19 UTC
I think everybody is missing the point....

EVE is now a sandbox with walls and lines of people waiting to get past those walls so they can play in the sand in a given location of the world.

I do not approve of this.

If the entire population of eve can not fit in a single system then its not a sandbox. Its a bunch of sand separated by thousands of walls. It essentially becomes....

Second Life in Space.
Miilla
Hulkageddon Orphanage
#51 - 2012-04-27 19:50:30 UTC
Morganta wrote:
Miilla wrote:
You have all the entire Eve universe and you are crying about Jita. Seriously.

If you really want to see jita.. go here http://www.twitch.tv/daopa

do you actually have any concept of this game besides trolling the forums?
theres a dozen reasons to be in Jita atm and none of them involve curiosity

besides the point that it has nothing to do with the ability to log into a system and everything to do about lowering pop caps on a reinforced system with less actual shooting than there was last night with a higher cap.

like I said, do try and keep up with the bigger picture here

you know, you can only reenforce a system so far before there is no further gains. There is other limits besides hardware.

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#52 - 2012-04-27 19:52:14 UTC
Xenuria wrote:
…we get the point that you don't understand what “instance” and “shard” means.

Quote:
EVE is now a sandbox with walls
It always has been. Nothing of what is happening here is new.
Silly HoBag
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#53 - 2012-04-27 19:53:31 UTC
wait i thought jita was going to be on a reinforced node for this, as well as not just a reinforced node the big massive 32 core monster or whatever it is lol
Beekeeper Bob
Beekeepers Anonymous
#54 - 2012-04-27 19:53:44 UTC
Zaxix wrote:
Midge Mo'yb wrote:
i see no reason for the cap as it currently is...

Everything is permitted; nothing is forbidden. Welcome to the sandbox.

It's not a sandbox when you deny access to it....

Signature removed - CCP Eterne

Miilla
Hulkageddon Orphanage
#55 - 2012-04-27 19:53:49 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Xenuria wrote:

Quote:

Sandbox is just a marketing term, along with Cloud, fabric, elastic, collaboration, pervasive, persistent, business intelligence... etc etc.

You have always had to play within CCP's rules, which vary day to day.
Serge Bastana
GWA Corp
#56 - 2012-04-27 19:54:33 UTC
Xenuria wrote:

EVE is now a sandbox with walls and lines of people waiting to get past those walls so they can play in the sand in a given location of the world.

I do not approve of this.

If the entire population of eve can not fit in a single system then its not a sandbox. Its a bunch of sand separated by thousands of walls. It essentially becomes....

Second Life in Space.

So if everybody online can't fit into one single system it's not a sandbox? Oh good grief Cindy, well thanks for your definition of a sandbox, we're incredibly enlightened.

Keep playing with the dollies dear.

WoW holds your hand until end game, and gives you a cookie whether you win or lose. EVE not only takes your cookie, but laughs at you for bringing one in the first place...

Carton Mantory
Vindicate and Deliverance
#57 - 2012-04-27 19:57:52 UTC
Miilla wrote:
Tippia wrote:
Xenuria wrote:

Quote:

Sandbox is just a marketing term, along with Cloud, fabric, elastic, collaboration, pervasive, persistent, business intelligence... etc etc.

You have always had to play within CCP's rules, which vary day to day.

To those that are new to this thread this conversation is going weird. Please take away from this thread - Jita is swarmed and hardware is not big enough for 40k trying to get to Jita.
Morganta
The Greater Goon
#58 - 2012-04-27 20:01:33 UTC
eve is not a single shard

there is only 1 game I'm aware of where the entire game world is in a single seamless map/world "shard" (even though it's still a cluster) and that's WWII online

eve does not become lotr because you can't load into jita, simple as that
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#59 - 2012-04-27 20:03:16 UTC
Xenuria wrote:

SandBox not SandPile. What's the difference? Well a box has vertical sides made of a hard substance (much like a wall, really) while a pile doesn't.

The practical results from playing in these two types of sand formations is that in a Sandbox, all the sand stays near where you want to play, while in a sandpile, you can initially play anywhere but the sand will pretty quickly be too spread out to play with.

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#60 - 2012-04-27 20:08:40 UTC
Morganta wrote:
eve is not a single shard
Well, sure, technically it isn't, but your average EVE player will not go off to sisi or serenity, because they lack the account to play on the latter and because playing on the former serves no purpose.

So for all intents and purposes, EVE only has one shard: TQ. The shard employing cluster computing doesn't make it multi-sharded.