These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

locked out at under 1900 pop?

First post
Author
Azami Nevinyrall
#21 - 2012-04-27 19:03:18 UTC
CCP Goliath wrote:
We raise and lower the cap based on technological factors - if the system is getting hammered repeatedly, sometimes it has to be lowered to ensure performance. Simple as that.

Yesterday Jita was at 2100 with a complete war going off at 4-4. The highest I seen TiDi was at 40% (btw, whoever though of TiDi is a genius.) I had no lag at all, managed to play "tag" with WTs and solo a few things. And to quote from this article http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-27-ccp-players-attempt-to-destroy-eve-online-economy-is-f-ing-brilliant
Jon Lander wrote:
Whatever happens, increased activity in the Jita area is guaranteed - and CCP has prepared for it by switching servers around. "The great thing was we had some fair warning," Lander said. "We've got some seriously grown up server kit. Where we know there's going to be some really big, epic stuff happening, we can put it on this kit.

"We've said, okay, stick Jita on the big, scary server, and put all the surrounding systems on these other servers."
apologies if I don't believe that excuse..

CCP Goliath
C C P
C C P Alliance
#22 - 2012-04-27 19:05:33 UTC
Midge Mo'yb wrote:
CCP Goliath wrote:
Midge Mo'yb wrote:
CCP Goliath wrote:
We raise and lower the cap based on technological factors - if the system is getting hammered repeatedly, sometimes it has to be lowered to ensure performance. Simple as that.

isnt that what tidi is for... gracreful degradation of the service

i dont see our fleet fights in 0.0 being locked at 1850

lame excuse

You just aren't considering all of the angles. TiDi helps, but consider that the pop cap was 1028 when it was first introduced in 2008, was 1500 during the Jita riots of last year, and has now risen considerably (and is constantly being altered as things spike or smooth out). Jita, and high sec systems in general, are far more complex in terms of load than nullsec systems.

the limits were introduced when the servers didnt degrade gracefully, i fail to see how this is any different to massive fight of nullsec - when we have to just deall with it when we hit the limits

the server seems quite content at the limit, that imo says that the limit is too low.

Due respect, but you don't have any information at hand except anecdotal, and I have the server technical information open on a page in front of me, as do people far more well versed in these matters who actually control the cap, so while you are entitled to your opinion, in this case it is inapplicable.

CCP Goliath | QA Director | EVE Illuminati | @CCP_Goliath

Serge Bastana
GWA Corp
#23 - 2012-04-27 19:06:23 UTC
adam smash wrote:
CCP Goliath wrote:

What happened to HUGE fleet battles blah blah all your promo **** about 1 world... no instances.

Capping the system = instance.

Lowering the cap... is just epic lulz.

I think it's time for your ritalin Tracy, you really are talking gibberish right now. Maybe it's past your bed time and you're just a cranky little turnip. Tell mummy to make you some hot milk and be quite while the adults are talking.

Bad monkey, no banana.

WoW holds your hand until end game, and gives you a cookie whether you win or lose. EVE not only takes your cookie, but laughs at you for bringing one in the first place...

Zaxix
State War Academy
Caldari State
#24 - 2012-04-27 19:10:44 UTC
CCP Goliath wrote:
Midge Mo'yb wrote:
CCP Goliath wrote:
Midge Mo'yb wrote:
CCP Goliath wrote:

isnt that what tidi is for... gracreful degradation of the service

i dont see our fleet fights in 0.0 being locked at 1850

lame excuse

You just aren't considering all of the angles. TiDi helps, but consider that the pop cap was 1028 when it was first introduced in 2008, was 1500 during the Jita riots of last year, and has now risen considerably (and is constantly being altered as things spike or smooth out). Jita, and high sec systems in general, are far more complex in terms of load than nullsec systems.

the limits were introduced when the servers didnt degrade gracefully, i fail to see how this is any different to massive fight of nullsec - when we have to just deall with it when we hit the limits

the server seems quite content at the limit, that imo says that the limit is too low.

Due respect, but you don't have any information at hand except anecdotal, and I have the server technical information open on a page in front of me, as do people far more well versed in these matters who actually control the cap, so while you are entitled to your opinion, in this case it is inapplicable.

If I may be so bold, don't feed the trolls.

Bokononist

Miilla
Hulkageddon Orphanage
#25 - 2012-04-27 19:13:48 UTC
You have all the entire Eve universe and you are crying about Jita. Seriously.

If you really want to see jita.. go here http://www.twitch.tv/daopa
Sigurd Sig Hansen
Doomheim
#26 - 2012-04-27 19:14:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Sigurd Sig Hansen
CCP Goliath wrote:

lowering it to keep the damage as low as possible imo

bet the Goons didnt think of that one... if its like 2k they most be the only ones in there

Mining is the "Deadliest Catch" in this game

Disdaine
#27 - 2012-04-27 19:14:48 UTC
Goonies are griefin CCP now?
Sigurd Sig Hansen
Doomheim
#28 - 2012-04-27 19:18:42 UTC
Disdaine wrote:
Goonies are griefin CCP now?

I think its the other way around. if its arounsd 2k the goona may me the only ones in there

Midge Mo'yb
State War Academy
Caldari State
#29 - 2012-04-27 19:18:50 UTC
Zaxix wrote:
CCP Goliath wrote:
snip.

If I may be so bold, don't feed the trolls.

how is this a troll, ive been sat in jita for 3-4 hours now, the system seems to be handing the load perfectly well, i dont have pretty performance graphs and stats to look at so i have to judge from what is available - the responsiveness of the game.

which is perfectly fine - hence i see no reason for the cap as it currently is...and as someone stated the cap was higher yesterday
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#30 - 2012-04-27 19:18:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
adam smash wrote:
Unless they spawn a new Jita for people who can't get into the first one… no.

in fact, if anything, the opposite is true:

Population cap = limit to how many can use a location.
Instance = no population cap, just direct people to new instance.
Midge Mo'yb wrote:
how is this a troll, ive been sat in jita for 3-4 hours now, the system seems to be handing the load perfectly well
Sitting in station, or flying in space?
Carton Mantory
Vindicate and Deliverance
#31 - 2012-04-27 19:19:16 UTC
I am thinking that this is not only testing CCP hardware but has awakened CCP management. We need to allow for more high sec battles.

Maybe we should allow war decs to be passed on to others by fleet invite.
Xenuria
#32 - 2012-04-27 19:19:50 UTC
CCP Goliath wrote:

That is not right though!
One of the biggest selling points of EVE is that all of the players are on one single shard, NOT realms.
If players are literally prevented from participating in a large scale event that just happens to be in a trade hub or system that should be reinforced anyway then the game is going to stop being a sandbox and start being a typical MMO.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#33 - 2012-04-27 19:22:20 UTC
Xenuria wrote:
One of the biggest selling points of EVE is that all of the players are on one single shard, NOT realms.
…and having a limit to the population in a single system does not change this.

Quote:
If players are literally prevented from participating in a large scale event that just happens to be in a trade hub or system that should be reinforced anyway then the game is going to stop being a sandbox and start being a typical MMO.
No it won't. It will be the exact same sandbox (since population caps don't dictate the sandbox:ness of the game), with the same limitations it has always had.
Dbars Grinding
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#34 - 2012-04-27 19:23:00 UTC
Lame excuses everywhere. Population was peaked at around 2300 last night. This is just ccps way of protecting jita.

I have more space likes than you. 

Midge Mo'yb
State War Academy
Caldari State
#35 - 2012-04-27 19:25:16 UTC
Tippia wrote:
adam smash wrote:
Unless they spawn a new Jita for people who can't get into the first one… no.

in fact, if anything, the opposite is true:

Population cap = limit to how many can use a location.
Instance = no population cap, just direct people to new instance.
Midge Mo'yb wrote:
how is this a troll, ive been sat in jita for 3-4 hours now, the system seems to be handing the load perfectly well
Sitting in station, or flying in space?

both
Morganta
The Greater Goon
#36 - 2012-04-27 19:25:29 UTC
Miilla wrote:

do you actually have any concept of this game besides trolling the forums?
theres a dozen reasons to be in Jita atm and none of them involve curiosity

besides the point that it has nothing to do with the ability to log into a system and everything to do about lowering pop caps on a reinforced system with less actual shooting than there was last night with a higher cap.

like I said, do try and keep up with the bigger picture here
Fuujin
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#37 - 2012-04-27 19:25:40 UTC
Xenuria wrote:
CCP Goliath wrote:

OK, no surprise you don't know what instances are either.

Hisec pubbies are so adorably clueless.
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#38 - 2012-04-27 19:26:29 UTC
Xenuria wrote:
CCP Goliath wrote:

No one is being prevented from entering the area, however there may be a slight delay. Today is no different than any other day in Jita as far as that is concerned.

Understand there is one hell of a lot more server traffic going on under the hood in a system like Jita than there is in your typical Null sec combat zone. When you throw not only large scale combat traffic on top of the normal traffic (data wise), and then throw in all of the Concord generated traffic, you end up with a somewhat lower population cap than Jita normally has.

It's really not that hard to understand.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#39 - 2012-04-27 19:28:07 UTC
Fuujin wrote:
Xenuria is predictably clueless.

FYP

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Sigurd Sig Hansen
Doomheim
#40 - 2012-04-27 19:32:37 UTC
Morganta wrote:
Miilla wrote:

do you actually have any concept of this game besides trolling the forums?
theres a dozen reasons to be in Jita atm and none of them involve curiosity

besides the point that it has nothing to do with the ability to log into a system and everything to do about lowering pop caps on a reinforced system with less actual shooting than there was last night with a higher cap.

like I said, do try and keep up with the bigger picture here

Millia literally does nothing but troll. Theres a reason I dont see her posts anymore