These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

locked out at under 1900 pop?

First post
Author
Morganta
The Greater Goon
#1 - 2012-04-27 18:17:00 UTC
really CCP?

When I got the lockout message I thought it would be packed in there, then when I manage to get in it's at 1860 pop

lowering jita's pop cap?
Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#2 - 2012-04-27 18:20:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Mr Epeen
Morganta wrote:
really CCP?

When I got the lockout message I thought it would be packed in there, then when I manage to get in it's at 1860 pop

lowering jita's pop cap?

I can think of a few reasons for this.

Jita's population is usually parked in a station for the most part. And there is not usually so much firing of weapons in Jita. This has to add significantly to the server load.

Mr Epeen Cool
CCP Goliath
C C P
C C P Alliance
#3 - 2012-04-27 18:20:50 UTC
We raise and lower the cap based on technological factors - if the system is getting hammered repeatedly, sometimes it has to be lowered to ensure performance. Simple as that.

CCP Goliath | QA Director | EVE Illuminati | @CCP_Goliath

Hicksimus
Torgue
#4 - 2012-04-27 18:28:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Hicksimus
Oh come on I thought it was pretty funny the last time one of the hamsters spontaneously combusted, pump it up to 4000! This IS Inferno after all.

Edit: well, at least the escalation, pump it up to 4000 and you can release Inferno early....

Recruitment Officer: What type of a pilot are you? Me: I've been described as a Ray Charles with Parkinsons and a drinking problem.

ElQuirko
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2012-04-27 18:31:35 UTC
Let's see those hamsters sweat Twisted

Dodixie > Hek

Velicitia
XS Tech
#6 - 2012-04-27 18:38:13 UTC
CCP Goliath wrote:
We raise and lower the cap based on technological factors - if the system is getting hammered repeatedly, sometimes it has to be lowered to ensure performance. Simple as that.

let the node burn! Twisted (well, not really ... but it is "burn Jita" and all)

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

adam smash
Department of Gub'nent Welfare
Harkonnen Federation
#7 - 2012-04-27 18:40:08 UTC
CCP Goliath wrote:

What happened to HUGE fleet battles blah blah all your promo **** about 1 world... no instances.

Capping the system = instance.

Lowering the cap... is just epic lulz.
Thomas Kreshant
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#8 - 2012-04-27 18:43:32 UTC
CCP Goliath, don't suppose will get a nice dev blog giving the metrics from the server for Burn Jita once it's all done and dusted?

Midge Mo'yb
State War Academy
Caldari State
#9 - 2012-04-27 18:44:55 UTC
CCP Goliath wrote:

isnt that what tidi is for... gracreful degradation of the service

i dont see our fleet fights in 0.0 being locked at 1850

lame excuse
Fuujin
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#10 - 2012-04-27 18:45:34 UTC
adam smash wrote:
CCP Goliath wrote:

What happened to HUGE fleet battles blah blah all your promo **** about 1 world... no instances.

Capping the system = instance.

Lowering the cap... is just epic lulz.

You don't really know what an instance is, do you?
Miilla
Hulkageddon Orphanage
#11 - 2012-04-27 18:47:28 UTC
When the cap has been reached Eve gives you the option to SPAWN in an alternative system.

USE IT.

Zaxix
State War Academy
Caldari State
#12 - 2012-04-27 18:49:00 UTC
CCP Goliath wrote:
Jita has a population cap in place to solve the very issue of server load. If you keep trying to log in you will eventually get there.

Does Jita still do like in the old days and give me the option to be moved to another system? If not, why not?

Bokononist

ElQuirko
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2012-04-27 18:52:07 UTC
Hang on, hang on, I heard a CCP source say they have a beefed-up node running Jita purely for the event. DualHamster technology or something. Why aren't you using it to its potential?

Dodixie > Hek

CCP Goliath
C C P
C C P Alliance
#14 - 2012-04-27 18:54:05 UTC
Midge Mo'yb wrote:
CCP Goliath wrote:

lame excuse

You just aren't considering all of the angles. TiDi helps, but consider that the pop cap was 1028 when it was first introduced in 2008, was 1500 during the Jita riots of last year, and has now risen considerably (and is constantly being altered as things spike or smooth out). Jita, and high sec systems in general, are far more complex in terms of load than nullsec systems.

CCP Goliath
C C P
C C P Alliance
#15 - 2012-04-27 18:54:51 UTC
Thomas Kreshant wrote:
CCP Goliath, don't suppose will get a nice dev blog giving the metrics from the server for Burn Jita once it's all done and dusted?

Oh I'm sure Veritas and Diagoras will be cooking up some graphgasms for you all to enjoy :)

CCP Goliath
C C P
C C P Alliance
#16 - 2012-04-27 18:55:48 UTC
ElQuirko wrote:
Hang on, hang on, I heard a CCP source say they have a beefed-up node running Jita purely for the event. DualHamster technology or something. Why aren't you using it to its potential?

The tech behind this is pretty serious, but as I have said above, high sec and nullsec are incomparable in terms of server load and today you can see massive improvements in terms of capacity over the Jita of last year.

Perramas
DreddNaut
#17 - 2012-04-27 18:56:10 UTC
Zaxix wrote:
CCP Goliath wrote:
Jita has a population cap in place to solve the very issue of server load. If you keep trying to log in you will eventually get there.

Does Jita still do like in the old days and give me the option to be moved to another system? If not, why not?

Yes there is the option to move to a neighboring system. I just tested it with my my Jita price check alt and I had the option to move to seven or so other systems.

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people- Eleanor Roosevelt

Zaxix
State War Academy
Caldari State
#18 - 2012-04-27 18:57:46 UTC
Perramas wrote:
Zaxix wrote:
CCP Goliath wrote:

Yes there is the option to move to a neighboring system. I just tested it with my my Jita price check alt and I had the option to move to seven or so other systems.

excellent thank you for checking

Bokononist

Midge Mo'yb
State War Academy
Caldari State
#19 - 2012-04-27 18:59:30 UTC
CCP Goliath wrote:
Midge Mo'yb wrote:
CCP Goliath wrote:

lame excuse

You just aren't considering all of the angles. TiDi helps, but consider that the pop cap was 1028 when it was first introduced in 2008, was 1500 during the Jita riots of last year, and has now risen considerably (and is constantly being altered as things spike or smooth out). Jita, and high sec systems in general, are far more complex in terms of load than nullsec systems.

the limits were introduced when the servers didnt degrade gracefully, i fail to see how this is any different to massive fight of nullsec - when we have to just deall with it when we hit the limits

the server seems quite content at the limit, that imo says that the limit is too low.
Morganta
The Greater Goon
#20 - 2012-04-27 18:59:35 UTC
Miilla wrote:
When the cap has been reached Eve gives you the option to SPAWN in an alternative system.

USE IT.

that's hardly the point, do try and keep up blondie
123Next pageLast page