These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

L4 mission running (EDIT: In a Raven)

Author
Haruki Yanumano
Perkone
Caldari State
#41 - 2012-04-27 00:30:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Haruki Yanumano
I really appreciate all the help, as Eve is a bit of a jungle and is best "learned by doing" in my experience, but that soon proves costly. I listened to the feedback and came up with an unorthodox setup I can actually fly, but wont until I get T2 drones. Would this be able to do L4's?

[Raven, Perfect Starter Lv4 Mission raven alternate]
Pseudoelectron Containment Field I
Beta Reactor Control: Diagnostic System I
Ballistic Control System II

100MN Afterburner I
Caldari Navy EM Ward Field
Caldari Navy Thermic Dissipation Field
X-Large Shield Booster II
Caldari Navy Shield Boost Amplifier
Heavy Capacitor Booster II, Cap Booster 800

'Arbalest' Cruise Launcher I, Caldari Navy Scourge Cruise Missile
Imperial Navy Focused Medium Pulse Laser, Imperial Navy Multifrequency M

Large Capacitor Control Circuit I
[Empty Rig Slot]

With my skills I get:

50,947 EHP
230 m/s
350/417 defence (not really sure what that means)
EM resist: 59.7%
Thermal resist: 67.8%
Kinetic resist: 46.3%
Explosive resist: 55.3%
302 DPS / 2993 Volley using launchers
38 DPS / 145 Volley using the lasers, and they are only there to assist drones in taking out frigates (I use another ship for salvage/loot)
Cap stable at 45% when not running lasers, cap booster and shield booster.

I know hybrid turrets would be better as "emergency turrets", but I like lasers and I was thinking I could just keep feeding this ship Cap Booster 800's - is that viable for missions? And if so, perhaps I should forget about the two cap recharge rigs altogether?
July Oumis
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#42 - 2012-04-27 10:14:27 UTC  |  Edited by: July Oumis
I'd advise you to wait and train the Drake to a very good level. A badly skilled overtanked Raven is a bad way to fly missions. You will make more ISK doing level 3s fast, than going for 4s in a Raven.

I also would use it only for training how the ship works and then switch to a Navy Raven, as soon as you can afford to lose it. (I'm serious)

Recommended:

Caldari BS V
Drone Interfacing IV
Basically all Drone skills IV + the Ability to use T2 Medium and Small Drones
T2 Cruise Missiles + Support skills IV - V

Shield Skills IV -V

That's around 15-20 Mil SP

I know it's a lot, but if you don't get around 30 mil/h (including LP) in level 4 missions, you could also blitz 3s in a well skilled Drake or do Highsec Explorations in a frig.

Fittingwise:

A Raven CNR should look like this, to be efficient:

[Raven Navy Issue, needed]
[empty low slot]

Phased Weapon Navigation Array Generation Extron
[empty med slot]
[empty med slot]
[empty med slot]
[empty med slot]
[empty med slot]

Cruise Missile Launcher II, Nova Fury Cruise Missile
[empty high slot]

Large Warhead Rigor Catalyst II
Large Warhead Rigor Catalyst I
Large Warhead Flare Catalyst II

Hobgoblin II x5
Hammerhead II x5

You'll need all those rigs and at least one Target Painter to apply the damage to smaller ships than battleships.

Also important: Get at least the 3% damage and support implants. Those add up to a decent improvement in applied damage.

Slot 10: RL-1003
Slot 9: TN-903
Slot 8: GP-803
Slot 7: whatever is useful to you
Slot 6: CM-603

good luck and be patient

☻/
Haruki Yanumano
Perkone
Caldari State
#43 - 2012-04-27 12:00:33 UTC
Admittedly I am very impatient, but it is because l3's dont pose any challenge to me at all in the Drake. I have 10 different setups and pwn everything with HAM's, heavy missiles, passive tanking, MWD's, you name it. So missioning is getting quite tedious and I would like to bump up the challenge a little, unfortunately there's quite some difference between L3's and L4's so I am sort of stuck/getting tired of playing. So it is of great importance to me to be able to take on L4's as soon as possible, without of course those missions being pure suicide.
July Oumis
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#44 - 2012-04-27 12:20:37 UTC
- Get a buddy in fleet to save you and start overtanked, to get a grip on how to fly.

- Use mission spec hardeners. www.eve-survival.org is the carebear bible.

I know how you feel, been there, done that.
Haruki Yanumano
Perkone
Caldari State
#45 - 2012-04-27 13:26:56 UTC
Thanks, that's a useful site - I was using mission-specific hardners before, but used NPC info from Evelopedia. This is far more detailed. I just got a few more questions then I think I will be on my way to a succesful Eve-experience:

Will the last output I posted above be sufficient for L4's? Specifically:

1. Will I be able to sufficiently counter scrambling frigates with 5 T2 drones and drone support skills at level IV plus the two lasers? Not using the cruiser launchers and getting rigor rigs for frigates at all.

2. Can I just spam the cap booster all I want so I can keep the shield booster running with no drawback except from spending a bit of isk on Cap Booster 800's?
FT Diomedes
The Graduates
#46 - 2012-04-27 13:40:37 UTC  |  Edited by: FT Diomedes
Haruki Yanumano wrote:
Thanks, that's a useful site - I was using mission-specific hardners before, but used NPC info from Evelopedia. This is far more detailed. I just got a few more questions then I think I will be on my way to a succesful Eve-experience:

Will the last output I posted above be sufficient for L4's? Specifically:

1. Will I be able to sufficiently counter scrambling frigates with 5 T2 drones and drone support skills at level IV plus the two lasers? Not using the cruiser launchers and getting rigor rigs for frigates at all.

2. Can I just spam the cap booster all I want so I can keep the shield booster running with no drawback except from spending a bit of isk on Cap Booster 800's?

1. Please, just get rid of the lasers. What a ghastly idea... 5 T2 drones with Level IV support skills will take care of the frigates

2. You don't have enough cargohold to run the cap booster constantly. Nor is it designed for that. It's good to learn to manage your cap. If you want to run the shield booster constantly, invest in a complex booster such as a Gist C-Type Large Shield Booster. It's very easy to make that run forever - or at least long enough to complete each room - without spending too many slots on cap recharge.

CCP should add more NPC 0.0 space to open it up and liven things up: the Stepping Stones project.

Boz Wel
4S Corporation
Goonswarm Federation
#47 - 2012-04-27 14:09:49 UTC
Haruki Yanumano wrote:
I really appreciate all the help, as Eve is a bit of a jungle and is best "learned by doing" in my experience, but that soon proves costly. I listened to the feedback and came up with an unorthodox setup I can actually fly, but wont until I get T2 drones. Would this be able to do L4's?

[Raven, Perfect Starter Lv4 Mission raven alternate]
Pseudoelectron Containment Field I
Beta Reactor Control: Diagnostic System I

100MN Afterburner I
Caldari Navy EM Ward Field
Caldari Navy Thermic Dissipation Field
X-Large Shield Booster II
Caldari Navy Shield Boost Amplifier
Heavy Capacitor Booster II, Cap Booster 800

[Empty Rig Slot]

With my skills I get:

50,947 EHP
230 m/s
350/417 defence (not really sure what that means)
EM resist: 59.7%
Thermal resist: 67.8%
Kinetic resist: 46.3%
Explosive resist: 55.3%
302 DPS / 2993 Volley using launchers
38 DPS / 145 Volley using the lasers, and they are only there to assist drones in taking out frigates (I use another ship for salvage/loot)
Cap stable at 45% when not running lasers, cap booster and shield booster.

I know hybrid turrets would be better as "emergency turrets", but I like lasers and I was thinking I could just keep feeding this ship Cap Booster 800's - is that viable for missions? And if so, perhaps I should forget about the two cap recharge rigs altogether?

Ditch the lasers. Fit a tractor beam. Ditch the CCC rigs - you have a cap booster fitted and you don't need both. Also, versus Sanshas, you're better off ditching the shield boost amplifier and fitting a 2nd EM hardener.
July Oumis
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#48 - 2012-04-27 14:11:38 UTC  |  Edited by: July Oumis
Sansha / Blood ( worst case )

[Raven, maybe]
Damage Control II
Power Diagnostic System II

X-Large C5-L Emergency Shield Overload I
Shield Boost Amplifier II
Photon Scattering Field II
Photon Scattering Field II
Heat Dissipation Field II
Phased Weapon Navigation Array Generation Extron

'Arbalest' Cruise Launcher I, Mjolnir Cruise Missile
Salvager I
Small Tractor Beam I

Large Warhead Flare Catalyst I

Hobgoblin II x5
Hammerhead II x5

The "golden" rule for level 4s is that tank + dps should add up to 1000, while none shall be under 400. This fit will eventually get you there, but I still doubt this will be fun for you...

If you realize your tank won't hold, kill the frigs, that may scramble you and warp out. It's a burst tank and not made for running capstable.
Vai Tanis
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#49 - 2012-04-27 22:06:26 UTC
You don't mix weapons so drop the lasers, drop the faction ammo as it's far more expensive than standard T1 and fit the Rigors. It's not either Rigors or drones just for frigates, you need them for damage on everything under a BS, especially things like elite cruisers. Otherwise it's a solid fit, but I wouldn't splash out on the faction fit tank unless you're planning to move it all into a CNR.
Zhilia Mann
Tide Way Out Productions
#50 - 2012-04-27 22:17:27 UTC
I'd just suck it up and fit the rigors and a cap booster. The fit works, and it will teach you some cap management (which the Drake rarely does). If you can, slap on an expanded cargohold in the fifth low for more cap booster 800s.

Honestly, the Raven is kind of a meh ship. CNR is decentish, but there are better mission ships out there.
Orlacc
#51 - 2012-04-27 23:20:21 UTC
If you are skating through L3s, L4s won't be all that deadly. The booster fit is the cookie cutter and works fine. Suck it up and just do it. Research the mission first to fit the correct hardeners.

"Measure Twice, Cut Once."

Kalli Brixzat
#52 - 2012-04-28 05:29:01 UTC
Orlacc wrote:
If you are skating through L3s, L4s won't be all that deadly. The booster fit is the cookie cutter and works fine. Suck it up and just do it. Research the mission first to fit the correct hardeners.

Pretty much this. Most Battleships and strategic cruisers don't buffer tank for PvE other than for incursions.
Olwen McOnna
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#53 - 2012-04-29 03:48:27 UTC
Orlacc wrote:

This man tells the truth!

Go for the Booster fit Layout, don´t forget to fit the Rigor Rigs which help a lot against smaller targets and very important, get your drone skills up for T2 drones, they can save your day.
I had very dood success with this approach, even with low skillpoints. If you don´t pull room aggro you will have no problems.
IIshira
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#54 - 2012-04-29 04:31:46 UTC
Have you tried doing level 4's in your Drake? I think it's an easier ship to manage especially if you're new. Get your Battlecruiser skill to 4, and fit the right harders. Cruise missile Ravens are nice but if your missile support skills are poor they are really bad against anything cruiser or smaller.

If you can join a corporation that has mission fleets going. It's much more fun and even though you'll have to split the rewards you'll make more ISK because completion times will be faster.

If I missed any of the above comments related to what I said don't beat me up. I'm on my phone so it's difficult to read all the posts.

Gorki Andropov
I Dn't Knw Wht You Wnt Bt I Cn't Gve It Anymre
#55 - 2012-04-29 09:59:59 UTC
Look at all of the self-righteous sheeple bleating "Don't mix weapons, baah, don't mix weapons!" What the hell else are you going to put there that could be use to a cruise Raven? A NOS? A tractor beam? A DLA? Jesus. And it's not as if the OP is mixing *main* weapons systens, either.
July Oumis
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#56 - 2012-04-29 10:08:07 UTC
38 cap sucking, nontracking, skilltime harvesting DPS, instead of just fitting rigors/ flares to boost your main weaponsystem is totally smart and useful.

You need to skill Drones, which is a lot work, if you want to kill elite frigs fast. Then he has to train Missile + Missile Support skills, to max out DPS, those you see in EFT and those other ones like Explo Radius... etc

Its far from self righteous, to keep him from training a total different weapontree.

Roll
Haruki Yanumano
Perkone
Caldari State
#57 - 2012-04-29 12:50:34 UTC
The reason I am hesitant to do L4's in my Drake is that it is passive tanked - I dont have a "panic button" like the Cap booster/shield booster solution. Don't know if this really makes a difference when playing, but in my mind it does.

I decided I am going for a Raven now and do L3's, so I can compare it to the Drake and get a feel of just how hard frigates are to hit with the cruise missile launchers (with 2 x rigor and 1 x flare rigs), while upping my drone skills. And I am going to fit the two lasers because frankly I don't have anything else to fit there, and I reckon everything helps vs. frigates - I mean it is either that or nothing on those two slots, and I already have the needed skills, so why not. At least for now, perhaps I'll get a drone augmentor or something later on if I can fit it.

But thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.
July Oumis
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#58 - 2012-04-29 13:09:22 UTC
tractor beam -> get the mission item faster
salvager -> well, salvage not too distant large wrecks
drone link augmentor -> watch out, the drones 60 km away could be killed fast by any respawn.

If you have trained lasers up to a point where mediums hit frigs properly, why not...

You just shouldn't start training those, to fill up you highslots.
Patri Andari
Thukker Tribe Antiquities Importer
#59 - 2012-04-29 13:33:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Patri Andari
That was a very painful read.

My 2 isk:

Park your Raven. You are not skilled enough to use it in level 4 missions at the moment. With the current market, loosing battleships in missions is painful. So what to do about your burning desire to run level 4 missions?

Stick with your Drake! Yes it will go slower but not as slow as people would have you believe. There are 3 things you need to remember when running level 4 missions in a Drake:

1. Fit three BCU II (yes three). All other fitting decisions must revolve around this. Depending on your skills, this may mean you have to make some tough choices about the rest of your modules. Prioritize T2 launches next and fiddle around with the rest until you have a decent tank. You still want to go with a passive set up as this is what you are most skilled for so keep the purger rigs. Also be sure to change hardeners to fit the missions

2. Forget God mode. If you are like most noob Drake pilots you are used to gaining full room aggro in missions. This will get you killed in level 4 missions if you are gank fitted with 3x BCU IIs. Use eve survival and learn proper aggro management in the missions. If you do you will find a Drake fit for gank not only can run all level 4 missions but it will do so faster than your poorly skilled Raven.

3. This is temporary. As you are running level 4 missions in your Drake, skill up missile support, capacitor and active shield related skills. These will make it much easier to move into your next ship (Raven or Tengu) with few setbacks.

Summation:

Do level 4 missions in your Drake while skilling up your supports but maximize your gank and forget your brick tank ways of the past. You are skilled to use one of only two battlecruisers in the game that can run every level 4 mission. Take advantage of this as it may soon be nerfed.

Be careful what you think, for your thoughts become your words. Be careful what you say, for your words become your actions. Be careful what you do, for your actions become your character. And character is everything. - author unknown

Vai Tanis
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#60 - 2012-04-29 16:13:38 UTC
Gorki Andropov wrote:
Look at all of the self-righteous sheeple bleating "Don't mix weapons, baah, don't mix weapons!" What the hell else are you going to put there that could be use to a cruise Raven? A NOS? A tractor beam? A DLA? Jesus. And it's not as if the OP is mixing *main* weapons systens, either.

He's asking for advice fitting the Raven. I did exactly the same thing for the same reason when I first started out and it was totally useless, so the advice was to drop them. A tractor beam is more use for scooping cans with mission objectives in slightly faster instead of slowboating the whole way to them.