These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Captains Quarters... ideas, suggestions and enhancements

First post
Author
Elmxis
#181 - 2012-04-26 02:51:03 UTC
I think it would be neat if while in Captians Quarters an option to log off, or quit would pop up when clicking on the bed.

Also, I have to admit that I was a fan of the Star Wars Galaxies way of decorating your home. Being able to hang stuff on the wall and display items would be a good way to reflect opon one's adventures in Eve.
RavenTesio
Liandri Corporation
#182 - 2012-04-26 06:48:49 UTC
Rawls Canardly wrote:
This is long-run, but.... Dust and Incarna run on the same basic engine, right? integrate the two into the station environment! Pat the dust grunts on the shoulder while they wait for the next mission, as you walk off to your waiting battleship, etc... talk about a selling point!
edit- maybe even make it so eve pilots can carry drop-ships full of dusties in their cargo-hold, bringing a whole new reason to be a hauler! right now there's not much reason for that.

Simple answer... no.
Incarna is an in-house (CCP Developed) system compatible with DirectX 9 and OpenGL (2.5 iirc)
where-as
DUST 514 uses UDK (albeit with modifications) if CCP didn't do this, then DUST likely would've taken much longer to develop... alternatively should they have utilised UDK for Incarna it would've been incredibly difficult to adapt and blend with EVE itself.

Mind with well developed network code, it should be possible to have both EVE and DUST players in the same areas.
Lost True
Perkone
Caldari State
#183 - 2012-04-26 07:46:42 UTC
Automatic camera rotation while idle(afk).

A few years before there was such option for ship hangar, which was removed from premium client for some reason. I've even wrote a petition about that back then.

I've just remembered that while playing Skyrim :)

in 2007 i've thought it's a sci-fi simulator, not an "e-sports" game. I'm not a teenager, how would i like it much?

Lost True
Perkone
Caldari State
#184 - 2012-04-26 14:38:06 UTC
Also I'd like some more non-futuristic clothes. Some jeans, coats, uniforms. Maybe Earings.

...Well, actually i'll be happy to see anything new in NeX at the moment...

in 2007 i've thought it's a sci-fi simulator, not an "e-sports" game. I'm not a teenager, how would i like it much?

Luke Eskar
Frank Gallagher Fan Club
Retard Summer Camp
#185 - 2012-04-27 01:48:22 UTC
i have a good one what about a Trophy cabinet that holds all your claimed certificates and medals etc

Lost True
Perkone
Caldari State
#186 - 2012-04-27 05:59:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Lost True
There is a lot of things that different players wants in their CQ. But if mos of that will be implemented, it'll be a room with a lot of unused junk.

So i think the obvious solution is to allow players to customize a furniturings in their quarters. It's logical. We all have very different rooms now, one can love something in their room, and other can hate this.

For example i don't like some things in my CQ:
Ashtray - for what? In my real room not only i didn't smoke, i didn't allow anyone to smoke inside.
There was a corn flakes somewhere, and cans with something - i don't eat such ****, but why it's laying around anyway, it's not a kitchen.

It's should be customizable. It's will be a "standard" room. If you want to have something better in your room, you shold throw the old things away, and you might guess, buy it, in NeX. And more vanity items, everyone is happy.

I'd like to buy a bookchelf and a chair near it, and read something, while i actually read something in RL :)
BTW i like that idea about bookshelfs:
There can be a skillbooks of skills that player learn - yes, some says that is not actually a books, but it'll be cool, at least for someone to tell "look how much i have" :)
There can be books with tutorials, backstories, eula, and other things.

Sure thing, we're in future*, and paper books it's and old age, as someone might say. But it's nice to have it. I think, there is a people that will agree with that.

*Not actually a future, i have quite a liblary on my e-book reader right now.

And plasma... Did you notice that there is a advertisement ALL the time, except when you no skill in training. Someone makes a lot of money from that, i tell ya.
I'd like to set a nice screensaver on it: space, or some waterfalls and grass - did you notice that in some sci-fi movies, when people didn't contact a green nature anymore, there is things like plasmas, which imitate a real window with pleasant view, and indoor gardens.

...Yes, it's would be cool to have some plants in captain quarters... And make potions (joking Big smile)

Ken Kyoukan
#187 - 2012-04-27 13:24:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Ken Kyoukan
Luke Eskar wrote:
i have a good one what about a Trophy cabinet that holds all your claimed certificates and medals etc

Maybe with an option to show Public / Private ones?

Regarding Videos on the CQ screen, yes I know it can be done now in a game immersion breaking way, but I believe the earlier posts were regarding these being done ingame, such as like a dvd/blu-ray/ps3 menu screen option.

Current information, Eve intro video, live ingame video, cq screensavers (as per above post), evegate/igb, netflix/youtube style video links and access to movies (Jukebox style) ...

Especially if the screens had a full screen option with small notification icons at the bottom, for chat, mail, etc.
You could sit on your CQ sofa and watch a movie, which could be paused and resumed next CQ visit.

Stuff like that...

Lay on the bed (With an quit sub option), make a drink, use a bathroom, neural implant shelf/case (for skillbooks and unused implants) and so on...

The bathroom is reasonably easy to do, just a door to a bathroom the character walks through that closes behind them, showing us the door from the outside, then a couple of minutes or so later it opens and they exit the room back to player control.

As for the skillbook shelf/case, skillbooks are technically implants, hence the inject skill option, the training time is more how to use said implanted knowledge, the same way a dictionary or manual doesn't give you all the skills to write a novel or build/repair something that experience doing so does.

A window to space, hmm
This doesn't have to be a real window, it could be a feed from a single camera looking out of the station from the undock point, so you can see people docking and undocking in local space, no need for the HUD or brackets on this just like looking out of a station window.

The advantage of a fixed view is it would be the same for everyone in a cq in that station, so one feed for Jita 4-4's trading residents, rather than 1 each (at this time).

IIRC Bink can play multiple video formats too so tweaking the screens to handle other video types shouldn't be a problem.

Lost True wrote:
Also I'd like some more non-futuristic clothes. Some jeans, coats, uniforms. Maybe Earings.

...Well, actually i'll be happy to see anything new in NeX at the moment...

I'd also like it if that was tweaked to have an additional option Style/Colour (Yes ColoUr as eve is supposedly using proper English rather than American.)

So rather than having:
Item 1, Style/Colour 1, Price
Item 1, Style/Colour 2, Price

It would show:
Item 1, Style/Colour Options Dropdown, Price
Item 2, ...

But obviously only where the item prices in Aurum were identical.
The reason for Style/Colour rather than just Colour allows for Left/Right options to be included under the same item header.
Indahmawar Fazmarai
#188 - 2012-04-27 20:36:49 UTC
What do i want?

To play the game without the interface (Ctrl+F9) while in CQ.

How do i want it?

Switchable first-person-esque "EVE-Pad" for capsuleers, with an optimized version of the current GUI in a kind of portable device which Apple figured out some years ago so maybe it's about time it reaches New Eden's elite.

The "EVE-Pad" would be a fixed-size hovering window portraying a futuristic pad, making for a smooth transition from "in world avatar" to "in world interface", rather than going from "in world avatar" to "those bars on the sides of the screen with windows hovering all over the place".

The good:

More inmersion and a proficent, simple, uncostumizable and limited but streamlined "in world" interface.

The bad:

A proficent, simple, uncostumizable, limited but streamlined interface in EVE? What's gonna be next?

Gasgat Alur
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#189 - 2012-04-27 22:22:36 UTC
I want a built-in ship fitting screen in my station where I can create my own fittings virtually and also share and browse fittings. obviously dps, EHP, drone bandwidth and other stats should also be included.

If you're reading this then that means my time travel worked

Corian Teranos
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#190 - 2012-04-28 22:05:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Corian Teranos
I would personally like CCP to fix the pricing system for clothing so it doesent cost 15 USD for a jacket. there is no excuse or justification they can come up with for the current pricing of in game vanity items
Histati
Cedargore White
#191 - 2012-04-30 03:25:42 UTC
Going through this, I see talk about decorating your room, using the bathroom, eating, laying in bed. I’m thinking to myself what the hell do they want the sims in space?! Yet you look at Dust and it is a FPS merging with EVE. What about another game blending into Eve, call it EVE Civilians, they could be the ones who design your cloths or paint the picture that hangs in your room. Giving them the tools to design these mundane vanity items. They can also be the agent, mechanic, Dr, run the nightclubs, do security missions on station. After they are done playing electronic dolls they might want to buy there first Pilots license. I’m not a fan of Sims but I was hooked on it for a month.
Jerick Ludhowe
Internet Tuff Guys
#192 - 2012-04-30 12:23:13 UTC
How about changing the size of the bed so a a character would actually be able to fit on it?
PinkKnife
The Cuddlefish
Ethereal Dawn
#193 - 2012-04-30 21:13:48 UTC
Histati wrote:
Going through this, I see talk about decorating your room, using the bathroom, eating, laying in bed. I’m thinking to myself what the hell do they want the sims in space?!

No, its just that the request was for expanding on CQs, and what we would like to see in it. Had they asked for what we want the entirety of WIS to be like, you would have gotten many other requests and ideas.

It was akin to asking "what toys do you want in your room" As opposed to "What do you want to do today"
Flamespar
WarRavens
#194 - 2012-05-01 03:16:58 UTC
I would like to be able to upgrade by captains quarters using loyalty points. It seems reasonable that a corporation would seek to reward a high performing capsuleer in this manner. As an example, perhaps you could upgrade from the current dingy motel layout to something a bit more roomy.
Flamespar
WarRavens
#195 - 2012-05-01 03:18:46 UTC
Another quick suggestion.

There should be some sort of visual indication (perhaps your corporation logo over the door, or a new object on the table that opens the corp hanger when clicked) when you are in a station where your corporation is renting an office.
Snow Blood
Perkone
Caldari State
#196 - 2012-05-01 10:11:53 UTC
While there are many possibilities as to how the CQ might in future be developed, I'd like to:

throw out the trash the game artist left in my room.

Besides that (though that is the main thing I want right now) I think it wouldn't be too hard to:

Sell me some items I can consume like Quaffe and cereal.
Make some additional animations like lying down (how come I can sit but not lie down).

Serious ideas:
Weapon stripping - just cos it would look cool. Maybe it could tie into Dust541.

An interface to a sub sandbox in which to 'sim' ship encounters - this would be nice for teaching players to weigh up the kit of the player's current ship vs the other ship(s) loadout.

An entry point to a utility that iteratively improves research results (like boxcar2D) so that if I have it running on a researched or excavated item it might get some bonuses the longer it is left. Or a meditation mode that reduces training times if the player actively engages with it.

An entry point for remote camera surveillance (see my thread Two Ideas).

Actually - given the art for the station interior is 'modular' CCP ought to package it as a little editor so players can block out their own interiors, and set it up like: Private room (for doing stuff alone like intel, coms, reading), Public booth (viewable and interactive with others, for doing stuff like kill boasts, posting my market deals, offers, ), Workshop (interactive with game assets). Plus, if I can craft a particularly cool looking interior asset CCP can monetise players (at least in ISK) by buying up their labor, so that stations be made from a growing library of assets made by their actual users, but vetted through CCP art direction.
xCabalx
The Wallstreet Bulls Corporation
#197 - 2012-05-02 00:30:41 UTC
I already posted this in the "WiS discussion thread". Just to keep it complete I will post my post here too.

Quote:

WiS is amazing. Already the Captain's Quarter is amazing, the atmosphere (Minmatar Station) where the light of the TV hits the ground, the sound of the station etc.

I, like others have too, have so many ideas... it's just endless. I need to get them off my brain:

• Playing Mini-Games like Poker (transparent holo-cards), Chess (hologramm figures like the ones in Star Wars), etc. (with or without the option for making bets in chess too)

• Creating big windows, so everyone inside a station can watch whats going on outside, but the ones outside can't watch what's going on inside the station to decrease performance. What I miss in EVE is the feeling, how big a destroyer really is. Imagine sitting in a room with others while a destroyer undocks.

• Planning room for Corporations. It could contain a drawing board, in which you can type a text or draw some lines.. present links to websites.

• Actually, take some items with you from a hanger you can enter to maybe trade small things with other characters.

• A pub and more halls in which you can interact with the agents.

• A hall with many seats which gives the option to let CCP or others organize something big, a conference, live streams

• A bulletin board

• The standard hanger could be changed to something new because there is not only one ship in that big "parking" area.

• Different shops

• Repair-, fitting-, militia-,..,..,... sections

• Instead of creating WiS for every station, just focus on a few stations (trade hubs?) at first and use it for testing and feedbacks to make them more a "center" of the region where actually many people meet together.

• Decoration possibility in the CQ

etc.

Not everything can be developed, there are limits.
PinkKnife
The Cuddlefish
Ethereal Dawn
#198 - 2012-05-02 18:14:22 UTC
I think one of the easy things would be incorporating Dust art into the CQ. They'll have to be remodeled/rendered obviously, but the designs and concepts are there already. Maybe having a drop suit or something might be a nice touch.
Flamespar
WarRavens
#199 - 2012-05-03 01:33:31 UTC
PinkKnife wrote:
I think one of the easy things would be incorporating Dust art into the CQ. They'll have to be remodeled/rendered obviously, but the designs and concepts are there already. Maybe having a drop suit or something might be a nice touch.

This is a really good point. And something that it would be great to get a response from CCP about.

It makes sense that some of the interior art for installations that has been developed for dust514 is reused for Walking in Stations. Some tweaks would probably be necessary, but it would be a great saving in terms of workload.

So how about it CCP, will any of the art assets developed for dust514 make their way into station interiors?
Packtu'sa
Nabaal Construction and Industrials Corp
Nabaal Syndicate
#200 - 2012-05-03 15:44:49 UTC
I want a pajama mode, toggled by clicking on a dresser. (Come on, where's my walk-in closet?) Pajama mode is only valid while in your captain's quarters, because we wouldn't want you walking around the public parts of the station looking like a slob. More clothing for sale (but pajamas really should be cheap) and the opportunity to invite friends over for a pajama party. Win? Win!