These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

How highsec miners threaten EVE, and how we can stop them. Manifesto II.

First post
Author
FastJack316
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#181 - 2012-04-27 08:40:08 UTC  |  Edited by: FastJack316
Corbin Blair wrote:
Notice how 0.0 is dominated by a few massive alliances now? It didn't used to be. It used to have more smaller groups. Cause, you know, they could come and take some space without a 1000 man instablob teleporting in.

When I first joined EVE in 2007, five years ago, 0.0 was dominated by a handful of ******* enormous coalitions, so if you're appealing to some glorious pre-cyno balkanized nullsec I actually have no idea what it may have been like.

Even without titanbridges we still blobbed the **** out of everything possible all the time, we just spent ten times as long travelling to the fight and we'd hope the node didn't crash.

e: somehow I suspect that having an even smaller population density than 2007 it was mostly uninhabited
Plekto
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#182 - 2012-04-27 08:43:19 UTC
note - for the record, if I had my way, Jita would go nova, concord would cease to exist, warp to 0 wold go away, and evey last bot miner and afk miner would get podded.

But it won't change CCP's goals or directions. Raging at the miners might work temporarily (until the next nerf), but the real goal needs to be that CCP *has* to make it so that the miners must do something to get their isk. Moving their best income to where they must engage with normal players and compete for it is not only fair but is also the ethical way to handle this.

But yeah, personally let Jita burn.

I just wish it would actually accomplish something.
Corbin Blair
Doomheim
#183 - 2012-04-27 08:43:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Corbin Blair
FastJack316 wrote:
Corbin Blair wrote:
Notice how 0.0 is dominated by a few massive alliances now? It didn't used to be. It used to have more smaller groups. Cause, you know, they could come and take some space without a 1000 man instablob teleporting in.

When I first joined EVE in 2007, five years ago, 0.0 was dominated by a handful of ******* enormous coalitions, so if you're appealing to some glorious pre-cyno balkanized nullsec I actually have no idea what it may have been like.

Even without titanbridges we still blobbed the **** out of everything possible all the time, we just spent ten times as long travelling to the fight and we'd hope the node didn't crash.

And thanks to taking ten times as long people like my little corp could go out there and and do stuff without having people pull 200 caps out of their ass. Now you either bring a fleet capable of taking on the big alliances or join them.
FastJack316
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#184 - 2012-04-27 08:47:53 UTC  |  Edited by: FastJack316
Corbin Blair wrote:

And thanks to taking ten times as long people like my little corp could go out there and and do stuff without having people pull 200 caps out of their ass.

Frankly **** your ten man corp if means making the game miserable for my 8000 man corp. This isn't a point we're going to agree on, obviously, but I'm much happier with it being far more enjoyable to fight other giant coalitions at the expense of tiny corps not being able to take space.

I'm pretty sure wormhole space was made explicitly for the purpose of smaller corps having an opportunity to settle a frontier with unique, highly profitable resources that a tightly knit small group would have a dramatic advantage over, so I don't feel bad about 0.0 not being that place and don't think there's any reason for CCP to make it that place.

e: I like big space battles and I cannot lie, you other pilots can't deny that when a girl walks in with an itty bitty cyno and 2000 ships in your face you get sprung
Corbin Blair
Doomheim
#185 - 2012-04-27 08:49:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Corbin Blair
FastJack316 wrote:
Corbin Blair wrote:

And thanks to taking ten times as long people like my little corp could go out there and and do stuff without having people pull 200 caps out of their ass.

Frankly **** your ten man corp if means making the game miserable for my 8000 man corp. This isn't a point we're going to agree on, obviously, but I'm much happier with it being far more enjoyable to fight other giant coalitions at the expense of tiny corps not being able to take space.

I'm pretty sure wormhole space was made explicitly for the purpose of smaller corps having an opportunity to settle a frontier with unique, highly profitable resources that a tightly knit small group would have a dramatic advantage over, so I don't feel bad about 0.0 not being that place and don't think there's any reason for CCP to make it that place.

Cause it's so fun living out of a POS. Let me build an outpost and maybe I'll give a **** about wormholes.

Edit: Also not cool when your front door decides to get up and walk around by itself.
Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#186 - 2012-04-27 08:57:05 UTC
FastJack316 wrote:
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:

Cynos, bridges etc. are just garbage to avoid PVP and killed one of the main factors of risk in low and 0.0 sec.

Cynos and titanbridges are a huge source of risk in 0.0, though. It's a hell of a lot harder to be immune to the risk of a hotdrop than putting a scout in neighboring systems.

And if it wasn't for titanbridges and jump bridge networks we couldn't go roaming in Cobalt Edge halfway across eve while drunk and Deklein couldn't play host to roaming gangs from everywhere all the time. There isn't enough stuff or people in 0.0 to justify 'expanding' it by increasing travel time and even if you could you'd be removing conflict generators in doing so.

I beg to disagree.

When I was alone I had to get to NPC Stain passing thru your sov (years ago). I got chased for 45 jumps by some particularly hell bent guys. Luckily I only found unmanned bubbles in the way and avoided others by warping to safes and planets.
When I joined an alliance I went 1 jump in low sec, fleet warp to POS and Titan insta-ported us to destination, still "above" of your sov on the maps.

I can't call it "huge source of risk" and imo it's just sh!te.

Sure, "on fight" operations have indeed hot drops and my fleet has been nuked itself by carriers and crap because of it.

BUT

Hot drop is not really related to bridges, you can get hot dropped without them, it's 2 separate things, which I happen to despise both (expecially bridges).
If you did not have bridges you'd actually risk being hot dropped WAY more, all the way to destination.

As for the conflict generation, imo in order to have a conflict you have to have warring factions.

When 0.0 was more "disconnected", you could have more and smaller entities in attrition instead of an handful of huge bored NAPs. Furthermore some of those smaller entities were varied, i.e. some were more industry focused. Yes it was probably before 2007.
Last time I was there, instead, all I could find was pure PVP corps with no industry left. Industry was just left to a couple of officers, mainly for ships reimbursement tasks.

Now, if large 0.0 alliances did not come with their stupid strings attached (politics, stupid hours boring ops etc.). But they do, so only real fun for small 10-30 roamers corps is NPC or WHs now.
Stirko Hek
New Home Industries
#187 - 2012-04-27 09:01:09 UTC
Mara Rinn wrote:

As for wardecs and war evasion: CCP wants to find a mechanism which will prevent griefers from serial-wardeccing a corp. Any such mechanism will necessarily allow PvP-averse players to avoid wardecs, which is an acceptable contingency. As a serious PvPer, you know that you have the option to simply suicide gank the target.

Complaining about targets evading wardecs is basically saying, "I can't be arsed to suicide gank the target, because I am averse to losing the ships I necessarily must destroy to perform that attack." You are the carebear.

The new wardec system changes nothing. Griefers will still grief and continue to wage war against industrial corps, holing up in a station the moment any resistance is encountered. I don't know why CCP Greyscale is trying to fix it when it's necessarily broken.

Your post has many flaws and assumptions in it. Firstly, I have no problems with losing ships on a single gank. My expectation going in is that I will lose the ship, regardless. How does that make me a carebear?

Secondly, your concept of wardecs is, again, flawed. PVP-averse players basically want an escape function, the ability to just IDCLIP/IDSPISPOPD and run away from an ingame event with nothing to stop them, is your argument. Dear god, why? Why even bother playing EVE with that logic? My previous post had the point that fun and achievement are only felt when there is an actual risk component in what is being done. If there is no risk of failure or loss, then what victory or achievement do you even have?

I always considered that high sec should be a kind of "tutorial land". Many RPG's use this concept, the early points of the game are good for learning and character building, but as you go on both risk and reward in such a place are reduced.

The issue here is that we have an area where you are pretty much as safe as you would be in an early RPG start area, you can keep developing there as much as you want and the rewards actually rise rather than diminsh as you develop. Reward and risk should scale, but it would appear high sec miners want all the reward and none of the risk (via abilities to avoid war d
Pinky Feldman
Amarrian Vengeance
Ragequit Cancel Sub
#188 - 2012-04-27 09:05:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Pinky Feldman
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:
Corbin Blair wrote:
And I've been complaining about jump freighters, jump bridges and anything else with jump in the name just as much as I have about carebears.

Imo hi sec is the worst feature ever. Other PvP games don't have this crap.

Cynos, bridges etc. are just garbage to avoid PVP and killed one of the main factors of risk in low and 0.0 sec.

Hi sec is garbage to avoid PvP.

Wardecs are garbage because they add on the garbage which is hi sec.
Suicide ganks are still garbage because they are another patch to hi sec.

In particular, hi sec introduced risk averse victims but also risk averse PvPers.

I am sure that if they removed hi sec, then the risk averse PvPers would stay permadocked and cry as much as their targets.

I think you're over-generalizing what is generally perceived as risk averse PVPers. Highsec PVP differs from lowsec/nullsec PVP in the fact that due to the smaller gang size, the focus is more on being able to catch/kill everything that jumps through a gate rather than "can i run away from this situation if i get blobbed" and as a result the warfare has changed over time to reflect this. The reason highsec necessitates gank fits with neutral logi and sebo'd out heavy tackle is because the amount of time you have to lock down a target before he can burn back to the gate is much shorter compared to nullsec where you have drag bubbles that give you all the time in the world to take down a target. In nullsec, for example, you could kill a close range PVP fit BS that lands in a drag bubble 70km off a gate with a Rapier and minimal DPS through good piloting and range management because you have all the time in the world. In highsec, you can't do this because unless you can quickly thrown down lots of tackle, they can just gate crash and log off on the other side of the gate after jumping through clears their aggro and derez after a minute.

Anywhere else in New Eden, keeping eyes on the other side of a gate and warping off if you know you can't handle what is about to come through the gate is considered being smart, yet in highsec its considered being risk averse with a negative connotation. I can't count how many times people have complained that highsec war deccers are "happy to kill things they know they can kill, but the second we drop a huge blob with more Falcons than they have pilots they just dock up". Tell me, when did taking on things I know I can't kill suddenly become the sign of a good pilot? Why should I be considered a bad pilot who is "risk averse" because I know how my ship matches up against other ones and am good at recognizing bait?

Its a common myth that Highsec PVPers are the only people in EVE who only want "lazy/risk averse" kills, while nowadays even minor nullsec/lowsec alliances are able to cover an entire region with cyno alts and titan bridge blobs onto people. Using neutral logistics to hide your gang's fighting strength in a fleet engagement doesn't even come close to being able to having the ability to not only force project but also completely hide your entire gang over an entire region.
Hikaru Kuroda
Extheria
#189 - 2012-04-27 09:07:50 UTC
Go play WoW.
Kestrix
The Whispering
#190 - 2012-04-27 09:08:56 UTC
I've not had time to read the whole document but I saw this.

Quote:
The reason PvP largely went extinct in nullsec is that the nullsec miner went extinct.

Thats wrong, Null sec mining does happen and is very profitable.
Corbin Blair
Doomheim
#191 - 2012-04-27 09:11:30 UTC
Kestrix wrote:
Thats wrong, Null sec mining does happen and is very profitable.

Says the guy in the high sec corp.
Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#192 - 2012-04-27 09:19:48 UTC
Pinky Feldman wrote:

Its a common myth that Highsec PVPers are the only people in EVE who only want "lazy/risk averse" kills, while nowadays even minor nullsec/lowsec alliances are able to cover an entire region with cyno alts and titan bridge blobs onto people. Using neutral logistics to hide your gang's fighting strength in a fleet engagement doesn't even come close to being able to having the ability to not only force project but also completely hide your entire gang over an entire region.

I don't like that a lot too.

I won't bring in extreme examples I played like Darkfall Online (where you lose ALL including gold and you are only relatively safe in NPC towns).

I played other less intense PVP games a la DAOC or Warhammer, where PvE is lol more than EvE (and actually gets useless once you have got those 3-4 items, all the rest comes from PvP including gear and weapons).
In those games you go out and kill or get killed. On open RvR servers at level 1 you can be killed right outside your camp, while questing, doing PvE etc, even inside instances.

In EvE "hi sec" I often team up with a mercs corp and protect certain people. Guess what if I see a known buttface I can't kill him. They are in NPC corps and immediately disband corp anyway. Plus they are many, can't be arsed to pick them all up.
If this was a real PvP area I could kill and pod them in peace. A PvP area without the 0.0 burdens, plus unlike WHs it's packed of people and unlike FW / 0.0 little blobs.
Testerxnot Sheepherder
Get Isk or Die Mining
#193 - 2012-04-27 09:24:05 UTC
OP is a ******* ******.

There, I said it.
Mark Androcius
#194 - 2012-04-27 09:28:51 UTC
I managed to focus on a hand full of paragraphs and all i could deduce from it, is that the OP finds it strange that mining corporations do not defend themselves.

The OP points out that, almost all mining characters refuse to switch to a fighting ship.

Well OP, let me just help you out with that.

Before you can even begin to think you can defend yourself, you need to have trained at least the cruiser skill of a preferred faction, you need to have small and medium weapons skills complimenting the ship you're flying to at least level 4, you need to have a good couple of Engineering skills to level 3 ( at least ), some mechanic skills are also much wanted, maybe drone skills, add those too.

Now, if you focus on mining, refining and manufacturing, maybe some PI and some research, you're already looking at 20 million skill points, just to have that all reasonably maxed out.
Seeing as the average player trains about 1.3 - 1.5 million skill points per month, you're looking at at least 1 and a quarter years, just to get good at industry.

I don't know how your mathematical intelligence works, but training to also be able to defend yourself, even though you'd only really need to 3 times a year ( i think that's about the average ), sound very inefficient to me.

Btw, just so you know....
The fact that making isk has become one of the most important features of this game, is ENTIRELY CCP's fault.
By intoducing PLEX, they have done a few things.
1) Gave access to "previously" hard to get ships and modules that would otherwise be to expensive for most.
2) Gave people who have time/talent and knowledge of how to make isk, a way to play the game for free.
3) Gave people a reason to farm as much isk as possible, just so they could play for free.
4) A lot more, but i think if you think about it, you could come up with those yourself.
Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#195 - 2012-04-27 09:45:35 UTC
Stirko Hek wrote:
Secondly, your concept of wardecs is, again, flawed. PVP-averse players basically want an escape function, the ability to just IDCLIP/IDSPISPOPD and run away from an ingame event with nothing to stop them, is your argument. Dear god, why? Why even bother playing EVE with that logic? My previous post had the point that fun and achievement are only felt when there is an actual risk component in what is being done. If there is no risk of failure or loss, then what victory or achievement do you even have?

So wardec a corp that will fight back? Of if it's industrialists who are competing with your interests, just suicide gank their mining ships and transports and be done with it: no need for a wardec. Wardecs are apparently fun to a great many people who don't want that sense of achievement from facing risk and coming out on top.

I didn't say that I like the ability for corps to escape wardecs, but neither do I like the ability for griefers to serial-wardec individual players to basically force them out of the game. Where do you draw the line? Drawing the line on the side where people can avoid wardecs makes more sense to me than drawing it on the side where people get to grief others out of the game.

You can go suicide gank that capsuleer still. There's nothing stopping you from doing that. If CCP was actually trying to remove all PvP from hisec, they'd lock weapons so you couldn't shoot anyone. Please stop whining about how you can't get your cheap easy kills in hisec. The kills are still there to be had, you just have some hurdles in between your ganking and driving someone from the game.
March rabbit
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#196 - 2012-04-27 09:53:04 UTC
Simi Kusoni wrote:
EFF ONEF1 wrote:
both sides are asking CCP to change/remove/nerf/buff they way the other side plays the game.

everyone is a hypocrite.

When was the last time non-consensual PvP got a buff?

Now think of all the "features" CCP have introduced over the years that allow you to avoid that PvP.

let's remember:
- supers nerf (drones + logoffski)
- titan nerf (guns + tracking)
- jump bridges nerf (boost to gate camping, nerf to "carebears in JFs")
- new T3 battlecruisers (cheaper gank)
- boost to hybrids (cheaper gank)
- ...?

The Mittani: "the inappropriate drunked joke"

Sedrie
Apple Industries Inc.
#197 - 2012-04-27 10:03:36 UTC
James 315 wrote:
At the very same time, these carebears are asking CCP to ban the way you choose to play the game. Ironic, no? I suppose "hypocrisy" would be a better word.

But the carebear ideology and the culture of EVE cannot coexist. There is no "sandbox" when one group is trying to ban the activities of the other group.

Jesus tap dancing christ, you're still a raving lunatic.

Miners are bad because they want to do their thing, without you blowing them up. Therefore they are hypocrites for wanting to change the game.

You want to get rid of miners because they somehow...offend your sensibilities? And by doing so, you are a self-proclaimed hypocrite for changing the game.

So which is it? Or are you admitting you are a hypocrite?

No, I did not read your wall of text beyond these first few lines of post #2. I had enough of your rantings in Arva local.
Zoidberg Gahiji
Doomheim
#198 - 2012-04-27 10:07:01 UTC
You forgot Incursions and the Incursionbears. They brought a whole new breed of carebears, beargreed, bearentitlement and bearelitism to EVE which are far more reckless than any bear before them.

You are also focusing too much on miners. Death-to-PvP-Bears are everywhere and not limited to mining.

And you are too much of a goon *****. There are way too many paragraphs where you praise goons and jump around yelling "I want to marry mittens! I want to marry mittens!". Was rather disgusting to read and your poorest parts. Furthermore you conveniently ignore that most of the recent hi sec nerfs came through due to their actions and campaigns in the first place and forced and bloated the issue.

Lastly you didn't proof anything. You just jabber a lot without any references at all.

7/10 for your tremendous effort.
Simi Kusoni
HelloKittyFanclub
#199 - 2012-04-27 10:07:11 UTC
March rabbit wrote:
Simi Kusoni wrote:
EFF ONEF1 wrote:
both sides are asking CCP to change/remove/nerf/buff they way the other side plays the game.

everyone is a hypocrite.

When was the last time non-consensual PvP got a buff?

Now think of all the "features" CCP have introduced over the years that allow you to avoid that PvP.

let's remember:
- supers nerf (drones + logoffski)
- titan nerf (guns + tracking)
- jump bridges nerf (boost to gate camping, nerf to "carebears in JFs")
- new T3 battlecruisers (cheaper gank)
- boost to hybrids (cheaper gank)
- ...?

None of that has anything to do with non-consensual PvP, and supers and titans are really relevent when it comes to high sec risk averse care bears. I hear they farm level fours and run mining ops in their tracking titans all the time.

As for your comment on tier 3s and destroyers, that just shows you haven't read the OP. I recommend you read it before commenting on it, or at least search for the relevant section.

[center]"I don't troll, I just give overly blunt responses that annoy people who are wrong but don't want to admit it. It's not my fault that people have sensitive feelings"  -MXZF[/center]

March rabbit
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#200 - 2012-04-27 10:09:31 UTC
Pinky Feldman wrote:
Using neutral logistics to hide your gang's fighting strength in a fleet engagement doesn't even come close to being able to having the ability to not only force project but also completely hide your entire gang over an entire region.

Titan can be killed, cyno alt can be killed, target system can be cyno jammed, cynos and titan-bridges need fuel.
Titan pilots are known to all spies (and in watchlist already), cyno alts can be detected and watchlisted too. Intelligence at work.

Neutral logistics ships just do the job and can't be countered without CONCORD intervention. New mechanic helps a little but ....

see the difference?

The Mittani: "the inappropriate drunked joke"