These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

How highsec miners threaten EVE, and how we can stop them. Manifesto II.

First post
Author
Corbin Blair
Doomheim
#161 - 2012-04-27 08:02:45 UTC
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:
Heathkit wrote:

Whatever game that was that "James 315" played back in 2006, it must have been really special to inspire such passion. I hope I see that game again someday.

Too bad what he says is just a fraction of the truth, the part that proves his points.

0.0 became crap because of all other factors.
Drone regions and their insane economy screwup.
Introduction of ships able to make the old 0.0 logistics convoys obsolete. When you kill logistic convoys you kill a lot of collateral content.
Insanely easy force-projection made it pointless to have to invest a ton into creating and staying in a certain place.
Original hi sec L4s drained ISK making out of 0.0.

Miners did not play any role in this, they were naturally driven out of 0.0 because it was just so much better to bot-gun mine with no risk.

And I've been complaining about jump freighters, jump bridges and anything else with jump in the name just as much as I have about carebears.
FeralShadow
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#162 - 2012-04-27 08:03:52 UTC  |  Edited by: FeralShadow
Jiggle Physics wrote:
Fantastic post OP, its truth is attested by the immediate poorly-spelled whinging of NPC corp posters gnashing their teeth and dismissively engaging in hand-flapping on the very second page~

Haha yes.

Additionally for those who REALLY don't have reading comprehension trained, James is talking about the mining CULTURE that has developed in this game that goes opposite to what EVE was always meant to be. The mining culture wants to change highsec to be completely safe, as well as accomplish everything else that was mentioned. Even the worst forum poster can chat miners up for an hour and figure out that's what they want. It didn't used to be this way, sadly.

I'm unsure that completely destroying their ships and assets would have the desired result, but people have been trying to change their attitude for as long as I can remember, with poor results. So, then you just have to wonder "What is left?"

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Miquela
Valheru Empire Science and Production Agency
#163 - 2012-04-27 08:04:02 UTC
brilliant, not completely true but brilliant. and kudos for finding out how to kill them.
Ines Fy
#164 - 2012-04-27 08:04:18 UTC
OP has a point, so lets prove it by killing all miners and see what happens
Bromothymol
Old 'n Cranky
#165 - 2012-04-27 08:05:56 UTC
James 315 wrote:
Some words that are not words, but truths.

This man is the most beautiful man.
Corbin Blair
Doomheim
#166 - 2012-04-27 08:06:44 UTC
Mara Rinn wrote:

It is amusing to see people who do everything they can to avoid losses complaining when they suffer losses. When you exploit a game mechanic to inflict losses in defiance of a game mechanic designed to control the level of loss you inflict, you should be expecting that exploit to get nerfed.

You have it backwards. Carebears do everything they can to avoid losses. Suicide gankers have a profession that by definition makes them lose ships constantly.
Plekto
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#167 - 2012-04-27 08:07:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Plekto
I read it all, as should most people.

First of, when a player who has been playing the game for years longer than you tells you something, it might be a good time to at least take the time to read it. While it's grim, unpleasant, and sobering to read, it is unfortunately at least 90% true. He doesn't have it entirely correct, but it's correct in more than enough places to not change the overall outcome.

Eve is:
Living
And Dying
In Space

If you cannot accept this core fact, you simply should play another game. All previous space sim games like EVE also had this core belief all the way back to Elite, the very first game of this kind. Space is dark, grim, foreboding, and it should be a dangerous place full of unknowns. If that scares you, get some shields, grab a gun, and maybe a friend or two.

Unfortunately...

CCP wants to cater to players who think all online games are essentially chat-rooms with stuff to do in the background. Kongregate in space, essentially. Pay your monthly fee for an online chat room. Because that's all my son plays. And all his friends play. Games like that. This is based upon over twenty years of online game playing and seeing many, many games come and go. CCP's direction is clear and likely won't change unless we unfortunately do much more than even he suggests. We simply won't affect the end decisions of CCP's directors and MBAs and programmers.

They are humorless, soulless middle-aged men who are in it for the money and their careers. Their agendas are entirely different than the players'. It's always been this way in gaming companies and always will be. So what does this mean for the players? If you watch the video on security from the fanfest, one phrase was repeated three times by the head of the department who is in charge of all of this. What was this?

"Death beams".

As in "instant death" by Concord. It's in the video - watch it and the context in which he talks about it. He's telling it to the people as if it's something what's in the works that he's not supposed to be leaking but is just to them. HE seems to like the idea and he's the guy in charge at CCP of in-game security.

He said it three times and its absolutely clear that we cannot win nor will we change CCP's mind on turning high sec into a separate non-combat server, in essence. And that's the goal - High is like a normal WoW or Everquest server and 0.0 is like a PVP server. With a tiny strand of low to serve as a zone between them, so the two "servers' act as one giant one. Sony is also certainly pressuring CCP on this as they absolutely never allow PVP and non PVP players in the same servers. And they have even less humor. To Sony, it's deadly serious business.

So what is the solution? I've been mulling this over for years in the back of my head as I've see the cancer grow. Something is dreadfully wrong with EVE and yet it goes beyond miners and all of that.

It's the idea that you can get something for no risk.

This is a space simulation game, after all. This affects high sec AND low sec. Both are entirely too passive and make isk too easily. In essence, all of the shiny objects in eve are easy to grasp and there's little risk. No need to go outside of either area. This causes the cancer - it's a stagnation where you have two equally dysfunctional communities side by side by never really interacting. Because you now have two entirely different player bases on the same game (and with Dust, a third!). What needs to happen is obvious. The best money and missions and rewards in eve need to be squarely in low sec where they force the two player bases to interact. Do it not with penalties but with real incentives - and let the players work it out, sandbox-style.

Basically what I propose is that all ores above veld and similar "basic" ores be the only thing you find in most of high AND 0.0. All of the rest is moved to low, with the ABC ores moved to 0.4. Incursions would only have the 1.0 multiplier in low. Not 0.0. Level 4 missions would force you to go into low almost always. Level 5 would be based in low (not 0). Most of the wormhole entrances would be in low. And so on.

There has to be risk for the rewards. You can mine or live your life like normal in high or low. Fine. I get it - I really do. But the best items and isk has to be nearby but just out of reach. It has to be at least a little bit dangerous to get rich. This would force high and 0.0 corps to fight over the resources in low and entice miners to low as it's just that ONE jump away... Pirates and bounty hunters would also get in on the action. Most of EVE would stay the same in high and low, and a good life could be had for either group of players. But the stagnation would be gone as you'd have to work and take risks to do more than idle through the month.

And it won't break the game to do so. We won't be seeing thousands of ships being blown up in a massive venting of rage that serves no real purpose. Yes, people are angry. But since we can't change CCP we can at least maybe get them to change the location of the best rewards and loot.
Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#168 - 2012-04-27 08:09:35 UTC
Corbin Blair wrote:
And I've been complaining about jump freighters, jump bridges and anything else with jump in the name just as much as I have about carebears.

Imo hi sec is the worst feature ever. Other PvP games don't have this crap.

Cynos, bridges etc. are just garbage to avoid PVP and killed one of the main factors of risk in low and 0.0 sec.

Hi sec is garbage to avoid PvP.

Wardecs are garbage because they add on the garbage which is hi sec.
Suicide ganks are still garbage because they are another patch to hi sec.

In particular, hi sec introduced risk averse victims but also risk averse PvPers.

I am sure that if they removed hi sec, then the risk averse PvPers would stay permadocked and cry as much as their targets.

Corbin Blair
Doomheim
#169 - 2012-04-27 08:13:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Corbin Blair
Mara Rinn wrote:
Any such mechanism will necessarily allow PvP-averse players to avoid wardecs, which is an acceptable contingency.

That's about the least acceptable thing ever proposed in all of Eve history.
Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#170 - 2012-04-27 08:15:59 UTC
James 315 wrote:
What is the alternative? Nullsec alliances, when someone enters your territory and attempts to take everything away from you, what is your response? Do you not defend yourselves? Do you not fight back? If possible, do you not kill them so they won't try it again?

No, what happens is a NAP, which will eventually be reset when one side gets bored of sucking on moon goo by the side of the ISK fountain,

Nullsec politics, drone poo, structure bashing, supercap proliferation, abuse of CONCORD avoidance and the desire of elite PvPers to avoid loss are what killed PvP.

If you are so convinced that CCP is changing the game due to the petitions of the carebears, perhaps you should play that game too: advocate for the revocation of the Unholy Rage buff to hisec ore spawns. Advocate for the transfer of all interesting ores to grav sites. Advocate for the tighter banding of ores to security status. Change the game out from under the carebears. They got rich and lazy because CCP wasn't watching just how much these people have exploited the loopholes.

I myself experienced some rage at the nerf to orcas in the last patch. I had become so used to the idea that I could invite anyone to my operations and they could take part as equals, that the inability for non-corp members to access the corporate hangars came as a complete surprise. What a shameful carebear I have become. I should know better than to invite people outside my corp to participate in the social activity of mining.
FastJack316
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#171 - 2012-04-27 08:19:32 UTC
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:

Cynos, bridges etc. are just garbage to avoid PVP and killed one of the main factors of risk in low and 0.0 sec.

Cynos and titanbridges are a huge source of risk in 0.0, though. It's a hell of a lot harder to be immune to the risk of a hotdrop than putting a scout in neighboring systems.

And if it wasn't for titanbridges and jump bridge networks we couldn't go roaming in Cobalt Edge halfway across eve while drunk and Deklein couldn't play host to roaming gangs from everywhere all the time. There isn't enough stuff or people in 0.0 to justify 'expanding' it by increasing travel time and even if you could you'd be removing conflict generators in doing so.
Corbin Blair
Doomheim
#172 - 2012-04-27 08:19:39 UTC
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:
Corbin Blair wrote:

Hi sec is garbage to avoid PvP.

Wardecs are garbage because they add on the garbage which is hi sec.
Suicide ganks are still garbage because they are another patch to hi sec.

In particular, hi sec introduced risk averse victims but also risk averse PvPers.

I am sure that if they removed hi sec, then the risk averse PvPers would stay permadocked and cry as much as their targets.

I agree. My favorite MMO was Shadowbane. No more safe zone after the low levels. That's what high sec should be. Something to protect you while you learn the controls and stuff like that. You should have to leave after you're not a newbie anymore.
Plekto
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#173 - 2012-04-27 08:20:49 UTC
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:
Corbin Blair wrote:

I agree.

But... unfortunately CCP has made it clear that the direction that they are going in is the way IT WILL BE. CCP is all about the money and careers and on on - it's a multi-million dollar *corporation* Unless we are pragmatic and start to speak their same language, we'll never get though to them.

We need to get CCP to change the risk/reward dynamic to be more honest and not to cater to either 0.0 or high. It's really the only solution that we have left since CCP simply won't do a 180 on their current path.
Razgriz Shaishi
Perkone
Caldari State
#174 - 2012-04-27 08:22:19 UTC
Read all of it, and I must say, I am amazed by the depths of your obsession. You have reached a new, never before seen level of obsession on the internet, and that is quite a feat. Now please register for residence in the nearest insane asylum.
Valerius Kavees
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#175 - 2012-04-27 08:26:07 UTC
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:

Cyno and JB are garbage?? please... Cyno and JBs are logistical structures! they are used for faster deployment of forces through out strategical vantage systems! and you say it killed one of the main factors of PVP?? IT IMPROVED PVP MORE! by telling this you are saying that there shouldn't be capital ships to begin with...
Corbin Blair
Doomheim
#176 - 2012-04-27 08:27:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Corbin Blair
FastJack316 wrote:
Cynos and titanbridges are a huge source of risk in 0.0, though. It's a hell of a lot harder to be immune to the risk of a hotdrop than putting a scout in neighboring systems.

They allow you to 100% safely bypass gate camps. Hotdrops are yet more risk avoidance by people who can't handle engaging unless they can jump in about 5000% more backup than needed.

FastJack316 wrote:
And if it wasn't for titanbridges and jump bridge networks we couldn't go roaming in Cobalt Edge halfway across eve while drunk and Deklein couldn't play host to roaming gangs from everywhere all the time. There isn't enough stuff or people in 0.0 to justify 'expanding' it by increasing travel time and even if you could you'd be removing conflict generators in doing so.

They allow you to blob up your entire massive alliance almost instantly. I shouldn't even have to explain why that's a bad thing, but apparently I do. Notice how 0.0 is dominated by a few massive alliances now? It didn't used to be. It used to have more smaller groups. Cause, you know, they could come and take some space without a 1000 man instablob teleporting in. People shouldn't be able to get nearly instant reinforcements from half way across the universe.
Plekto
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#177 - 2012-04-27 08:31:45 UTC
Razgriz Shaishi wrote:
Read all of it, and I must say, I am amazed by the depths of your obsession. You have reached a new, never before seen level of obsession on the internet, and that is quite a feat. Now please register for residence in the nearest insane asylum.

So says someone with barely a year experience playing EVE. Unfortunately, most of you simply aren't old enough to have the perspective in this game like this man has, and so therefore are not really qualified to pass judgment on him.
Valerius Kavees
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#178 - 2012-04-27 08:33:08 UTC
Razgriz Shaishi wrote:

one doesn't simply say that without experience...
Kitfox Mikakka
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#179 - 2012-04-27 08:35:20 UTC
Whole lotta people in here who are mad. Mad about James 315 posts, despite them being goodposts.
Khanh'rhh
Sparkle Motion.
#180 - 2012-04-27 08:36:07 UTC
OP needs a girl avatar so my sexuality can deal better with how much I want to hug him.

"Do not touch anything unnecessarily. Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally." -Soviet infantry manual,