These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Notepad

Author
Norjia Blacksteel
Blacksteel Mining and Manufacturing
Renaissance Federation
#1 - 2012-04-25 17:06:56 UTC
Undo
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#2 - 2012-04-25 17:11:12 UTC
Norjia Blacksteel
Renaissance Federation
#3 - 2012-04-25 17:17:12 UTC
Select text in notepad.

Want to copy text.

Hit ctrl-V by accident.

Lose selected text.

No undo.

Frustration.

Undo is an easy thing to implement. I'm not asking for much.
mxzf
Shovel Bros
#4 - 2012-04-25 17:19:58 UTC
Eh, I don't use the in-game notepad in the first place because it's made for tiny little notes, not heavy work. I do almost all of my work in N++ instead, much more powerful and it gives you access out of game too.

And I don't think they really need to work on the in-game notepad, it's not designed to be a major feature, just a convenience; there are much more important things that need to be worked on instead.
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#5 - 2012-04-25 17:21:03 UTC
Norjia Blacksteel wrote:
Select text in notepad.

Want to copy text.

Hit ctrl-V by accident.

Lose selected text.

No undo.

Frustration.

Undo is an easy thing to implement. I'm not asking for much.

Ahhh... now it is clearer, what you are looking for.

I usually use the notepad on my pc, and alt tab between screens as needed.
Norjia Blacksteel
Renaissance Federation
#6 - 2012-04-25 17:28:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Norjia Blacksteel
mxzf wrote:
Eh, I don't use the in-game notepad in the first place because it's made for tiny little notes, not heavy work. I do almost all of my work in N++ instead, much more powerful and it gives you access out of game too.

And I don't think they really need to work on the in-game notepad, it's not designed to be a major feature, just a convenience; there are much more important things that need to be worked on instead.

It's not a convenience if it is so easy accidentally to delete your note.

I don't want access out of game. I play EVE on 3 different computers. I want my notes available ingame.

The right answer to a feature request is not always just to respond with a workaround. The workaround is not always useful for everyone's use cases. My use case means that the suggested workaround of using an external text editor is not helpful to me.

The point is, there is a notepad ingame, and it is lacking the most basic feature in a text editor: undo. Even just one level of undo, which is quite easy to implement, would take care of what I'm asking for.
FloppieTheBanjoClown
Arcana Imperii Ltd.
#7 - 2012-04-25 17:44:00 UTC
I do like the concept of the in-game notepad in that it at least makes an attempt at organizing information in a meaningful way. It could definitely use more features, though.

Founding member of the Belligerent Undesirables movement.

ROCK MELTER
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2012-06-03 15:30:10 UTC
Norjia Blacksteel wrote:
mxzf wrote:

It's not a convenience if it is so easy accidentally to delete your note.

I don't want access out of game. I play EVE on 3 different computers. I want my notes available ingame.

The right answer to a feature request is not always just to respond with a workaround. The workaround is not always useful for everyone's use cases. My use case means that the suggested workaround of using an external text editor is not helpful to me.

The point is, there is a notepad ingame, and it is lacking the most basic feature in a text editor: undo. Even just one level of undo, which is quite easy to implement, would take care of what I'm asking for.

I agree, the notepad needs some love. It would make for a much better and used tool IN GAME. They made the in game browser better so we did not have to go outside the game and they should do the same for the notepad.
NiGhTTraX
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#9 - 2012-06-03 18:22:10 UTC
mxzf wrote:

Worst. Reply. Ever.

Following your logic, let's remove the notepad. I use Chrome instead of the IGB, so let's remove that too. I use EVE-Central to check market prices, so that's kind of useless too, right? Winamp instead of Jukebox, TeamSpeak instead of EVE Voice, Gmail instead of EVE Mail and so on. So let's strip EVE of everything that has an alternative.

I have two words for you. LITTLE THINGS. It makes your EVE life easier. It makes you want to push more buttons and subscribe another month. Balancing titans will take months. You want to leave that one broken button that's annoying everyone till the next major patch? You have no vision on product development whatsoever. You implement a new feature, you iron out the bugs, you improve stuff and reiterate on the design and then you move on.

All your forum posts follow this same logic. 'I don't use it, so everyone must not be using it at all, therefore, never touch it again'. You either are the biggest troll ever, or you are unbelievably blinkered.

Now, regarding the OP's post. yes! Fix the notepad. It's so b0rked atm, full of bugs and lacking features. +1 +1 +1

If you're gonna post here thinking your idea is the greatest thing since bacon and that it will save EVE and possibly all humankind with it, you're gonna have a bad time.

Kusum Fawn
Perkone
Caldari State
#10 - 2012-06-04 03:18:41 UTC
beyond that that notepad consistently forgets what ive typed, ocassionally deletes itself, and copies itself over other notes,

i dont use it very often myself.

Mails or oog notepads work quite a bit better, (mailing things to yourself makes them slightly searchable too)

Im not sure what the coding for notepads is like, but i sometimes see notes ive lost years ago reappear and lose other notes.
there is so much to be done in fixing the notepad that im not sure its worth the effort, its hardly a feature.

Its not possible to please all the people all the time, but it sure as hell is possible to Displease all the people, most of the time.