These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Macintosh

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Escalation to Inferno Macintosh Issues and Feedback

First post
Author
Kratos Maximus
Doomheim
#61 - 2012-04-24 23:00:25 UTC
ok so I downloaded the patch and it was smooth sailing (unexpectidly) but the next thing I know I click play on the launcher as I always do and the game attempts to open up but it goes to a black screen. Now on this screen I can scroll my mouse over where I would normally enter my password for my account, and the advertisements dont show up but the mouse cursor acts as if I can click on them. But the screen is completely blank. No audio, no nothing. My mac system isnt an issue as I was able to play as of 12 hours ago but not now after this patch.

Ideas? Where should I go looking for what file etc?

Thanks
CCP Sputnik
C C P
C C P Alliance
#62 - 2012-04-24 23:23:44 UTC
Tara Nighthawk wrote:
Are you saying this is actually supposed to be recursive? - with the 'EVE Online.app/Contents/Resources' part repeated?

Yes this is intended.

Tara Nighthawk wrote:
Removing the common.ini file just resulted in an error due to not finding this file Cry

Did you start the Launcher or the Game directly?

CCP Sputnik | Software Engineer | Team Undone Unit

My EVElopedia Talk My Broadcast Log

Tara Nighthawk
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#63 - 2012-04-24 23:39:35 UTC
CCP Sputnik wrote:
Tara Nighthawk wrote:
Are you saying this is actually supposed to be recursive? - with the 'EVE Online.app/Contents/Resources' part repeated?

Yes this is intended.

Tara Nighthawk wrote:
Removing the common.ini file just resulted in an error due to not finding this file Cry

I tried both.

Are you saying there is supposed to be an 'EVE Online.app' inside another copy of itself?

No wonder it doesn't work - and no wonder it takes so long to download.

Now I am totally confused. What?

Oh well - STO has space travel as well - not as good, but at least it works Lol

Wonder if I will live to see an EVE Online update that works first time on a Mac. Probably not Blink
psi Pserad
Amarr Empire
#64 - 2012-04-25 00:48:09 UTC
I have sent THREE petitions to them about the unhandled page fault problem with Eve played on my Mac. Each time I have been told that they are working on it, with no hint as to when it might be fixed. This has literally been going on for MONTHS, and I keep waiting around thinking "oh, well they're working on it, so the next patch should fix it", and each patch just makes it freeze more and more. I figured I'd stick it out until Inferno because it seemed like it made sense that it would be fixed in an entire new version... but literally five seconds after I start the game with Inferno installed, whelp........ unhandled page fault, game freezes, have to restart it.

The last reply I got was pissy and all "you know, if this was an easy problem to fix, it would be fixed by now, it is complicated and takes a lot of time", which I find almost insulting. It isn't free to have this game, and yet all I've been able to do is stay in nine sec for months, and when I am up to dealing with it freezing every ten minutes or so, I'll mine for a while. I haven't been able to do anything else. So basically they have gotten nearly a hundred dollars from me at this point, or more, for absolutely nothing in return.

If you're going to say you support Mac users, you should care about fixing known problems that a lot of mac users are having, or if you don't care, then just say so, drop your mac support, and only deal with windows customers. Oh wait, then you wouldn't be getting all the extra money we give you for no customer service in return. yay.

yes Ive tried deleting the preferences folder several times, it doesn't fix this
Matavhe Rems
Gun Runners Inc
Antisocial Social Club For Tax Reduction
#65 - 2012-04-25 01:36:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Matavhe Rems
You have broken multiple clients. Again.

I use symlinks so that I do not need 50 Gigabytes of storage for my 4 clients.

That is broken. I can run one client that has the full data files, 11.84GB of storage space.

I then duplicate it, change the app name, change the app/pref folder name in the info.plist file, and start it up. It runs. I quit it, and replace the 3 folders with links the same way I did all the years previous, although the stupid app-within-an-app changes the precise location. When I try to start this client again, the launcher tries to download the ENTIRE client from scratch.

Mac Pro 2 x 2.66GHz 6-core Intel Xeon
8GB RAM
Mac OS X 10.6.8

Edit: Clonemaker seems to work. I did edit the info.plist to use a separate prefs file, but I have not done extensive testing to make sure two clients run without interference.
Vorianien
Killing eSports Racing Southeast
#66 - 2012-04-25 02:30:47 UTC
Tara Nighthawk wrote:
CCP Sputnik wrote:
Tara Nighthawk wrote:

Yes this is intended.

Tara Nighthawk wrote:

I tried both.

Are you saying there is supposed to be an 'EVE Online.app' inside another copy of itself?

No wonder it doesn't work - and no wonder it takes so long to download.

Now I am totally confused. What?

Oh well - STO has space travel as well - not as good, but at least it works Lol

Wonder if I will live to see an EVE Online update that works first time on a Mac. Probably not Blink

Yes, there's a separate application package inside the main application package. The main package wrapper is supposed to contain the framework and scripts for the launcher, as well as the game that the launcher is supposed to launch. Official Cider ports have been doing this for years, now.
Goran Konjich
Krompany
#67 - 2012-04-25 06:45:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Goran Konjich
good news => downloaded, patched, started ok ..

bad news => clonemaker version wants to download whole install client from scratch, hmm ... ok destroy the clone make new one not a problem, but what to do with prefs ? and how ?

iMac mid2011 i5 2.7ghz 8gb ram hd6770m

lion 10.7.3 english-croatian

I'm a diplomat. Sometimes i throw 425mm wide briefcases at enemy. Such is EVE.

starejade2
Seventy Sixers
#68 - 2012-04-25 10:50:21 UTC
Processor 2 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3
will not load when i hit play
Matt Crendraven
Crendraven Corporation
#69 - 2012-04-25 19:08:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Matt Crendraven
Patching went fine for me. What i don't see are any turrets or turret visuals of any kind. I'm in my coveter with some strip miners but I don't see them on my ship either in the hanger or space. But they are obviously fitted. I got around this last time by stripping and re-fitting the ship. I also don't see any turret visuals at all...PVE'ing and I'm taking and dealing damage but there's nothing there.

MacBook Pro
OSX 10.7.2
2.66 i7
8GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512 MB
Matar Ronin
#70 - 2012-04-25 19:35:34 UTC
I am a computer game player not a computer programmer. Why is it impossible for CCP to hire competent programmers that can work thru the same problems that persist for Mac user update to update, patch to patch? Why does CCP think it's okay to use paying customers as diagnostic troubleshooters?

I do not think it appropriate that your usually unsuccessful workarounds entail digging deep into setup files and rewriting things your programmers should not have gotten wrong in the first place.

I pay money to play EVE ..... not to spend hours pretending to be a computer wiz ready to troubleshoot problems and give high end solutions to get the game to operate.

Please give me a fair return for my subscription fee ..... a game that operates, patches that do not load corrupted files, and customer support that actually gives a damn about Mac users ..... right now you are zero for 3.

I the paying customer cannot login and have to reinstall the game from scratch HOPING that will at least let me log on so i can get back to have system freezes every five minutes .... the good old days compared to now ..... because the installer on the patch was a total fail.

‘Vain flame burns fast/and its lick is light/Modest flame lasts long/and burns to the bone.’

" We lost a war we chose not to fight." Without a doubt this is the best way to lose any war and the worst excuse to explain the beating afterwards.

Drake Draconis
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#71 - 2012-04-25 21:06:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Drake Draconis
The sad thing of it is.....while I'm running an older OS-X version (Snow Leopard) and on an older Macbook Pro....with heating issues....never really had an issue with the patches since the launcher started.

Course I usually wait about 2 to 3 weeks before I touch the damn thing. Lol

*Ok so I cheat and use windows pc next door but still...kinda hints at a trend these days*

Honestly blaming CCP and throwing insults isn't going to help anyone.

Are they being lazy about it? Prob. not....they should/need/betterhave a dedicated team for this stuff....

The other thing you people have got to remember....the Mac version of EVE Online is NOT AN MAC VERSION OF THE GAME.

ITS STILL WINDOWS!!!!!!!

The issues you keep encountering are windows translation problems....Windows users have problems there as well....may be different...but it tends to get funny funny when trying to run in an environment nothing like windows albeit simulated.

So yeah....Think I'll wait a week or two before patching. LolCoolBear

================ STOP THE EVEMAIL SPAM! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=78152

Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#72 - 2012-04-25 21:19:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Vincent Athena
I found something interesting. I was testing out a comment that when in windowed mode, minimizing with command-m does not work. I found it did work, it minimized the client into the dock, and clicking the icon in the dock brought back the client. But then the failure: The client was frozen!

Wondering what to do I by chance clicked on the dock icon for starting the launcher. The launcher did start, but not wanting to make a bigger problem, I just closed it.

And the client unfroze.

For me this is a fully repeatable way to make the client freeze and to bring it back. I do not know if its the same freeze as happens by chance now and then.

Recap: To freeze the client, be in window mode, hit command-m to minimize, click the minimized icon in the dock. To unfreeze: open, then close the launcher.

For anyone getting random freezes, please stay in window mode and test to see if opening, then closing the launcher unfreezes the client. Note there are new screen resolutions so you can set to so nothing is lost off the bottom of the screen while in windowed mode.

Macbook Pro
Intel core i7
8 GB
Nvidia GeForce GT 330M 512 MB
OSX10.7.3

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Cruell Nightmare
Primary. Sector.
Primary Sector
#73 - 2012-04-26 00:02:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Cruell Nightmare
Patch day client broke, Followed suggested workarounds earlier in this thread with nothing working.

unInstalled eve, re-downloaded at main webpage download link.

System cannot recognized dmg file.

image reason

eve-premium_007867 not recognized

MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: MBP61.0057.B0C
SMC Version (system): 1.58f16

luckily i have a windows machine at home otherwise this would be an issue lol

oh and the running in window mode has froze when brought back from the menu bar for me for months,...not a big deal but yea
lokiish
Martyr's Vengence
#74 - 2012-04-26 01:03:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Lokiish
The update has been downloaded. The client will now close and the update process begin.

Press 'OK' to continue.

I hit Ok and it just turns off.

Ok weird, I went into my applications and started EVE from there and the patch started to apply. humm...
Matar Ronin
#75 - 2012-04-26 02:07:10 UTC
Cruell Nightmare wrote:
Patch day client broke, Followed suggested workarounds earlier in this thread with nothing working.

unInstalled eve, re-downloaded at main webpage download link.

System cannot recognized dmg file.

image reason

eve-premium_007867 not recognized

MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: MBP61.0057.B0C
SMC Version (system): 1.58f16

luckily i have a windows machine at home otherwise this would be an issue lol

oh and the running in window mode has froze when brought back from the menu bar for me for months,...not a big deal but yea

Same error message for me ..... end result no EVE at all ...... this requires both a quick fix and a credit for lost days .... outrageous CCP just completely unprofessional!

‘Vain flame burns fast/and its lick is light/Modest flame lasts long/and burns to the bone.’

" We lost a war we chose not to fight." Without a doubt this is the best way to lose any war and the worst excuse to explain the beating afterwards.

Halt Tranty
Lucifer's Hammer
A Band Apart.
#76 - 2012-04-26 08:41:10 UTC
Ok so I got the error that many people got in the beginning. Since my training queue was almost done (yes I know it was stupid of me), I scrapped the client and spent the next 4 hours downloading the full client. It worked just fine. Smile
Now there's a second (small) patch out. Shocked Except it won't patch. Roll The client downloads it and says ready to update, but nothing happens. What? I've tried several times without success. Ugh I am NOT going to download the full client again!
Fix this please CCP, damnit, it's what we pay you for! You don't want to lose subs do you? There should be a full dev team devoted to mac, and if you can't spare the man power, get more please! Sad
Invisusira
Escalated.
OnlyFleets.
#77 - 2012-04-26 11:50:39 UTC
Guess I'm one of the lucky ones that didn't have patching problems!

New issues:
• Audio glitches (beeps, static, echoes) when jumping through gates or docking at stations.
• Overview font size is now grandma-sized.
• Using the new windowed-mode resolutions (thank you!) causes the menu bar to lose most of its menus. Can no longer copy, paste, select all, etc.
• Screenshots directory has been moved (ninjas are suspected).

Continuing Issues:
• Still not properly loading character portraits.
• Still can't use high resolution character textures.
• Still can't minimize EVE to the dock; when un-minimizing it you're presented with a black/glitch screen and have to reboot the client.
Isaac Hotei
Gateless Gate Research Institute
#78 - 2012-04-26 15:18:42 UTC
Invisusira wrote:
Guess I'm one of the lucky ones that didn't have patching problems!

New issues:
• Audio glitches (beeps, static, echoes) when jumping through gates or docking at stations.
• Overview font size is now grandma-sized.
• Using the new windowed-mode resolutions (thank you!) causes the menu bar to lose most of its menus. Can no longer copy, paste, select all, etc.
• Screenshots directory has been moved (ninjas are suspected).

Continuing Issues:
• Still not properly loading character portraits.
• Still can't use high resolution character textures.
• Still can't minimize EVE to the dock; when un-minimizing it you're presented with a black/glitch screen and have to reboot the client.

I get the weird audio thing at gates too. The overview font thing I fixed by going into the overview settings, under appearance, and clicking the "Use small font" checkbox.
Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#79 - 2012-04-26 17:45:35 UTC
I set a new window size for windowed mode, but all my menus are still right there and copy, paste still work (Using control-c, and so on, after all its still a PC app). Im using 10.7.3. Are those seeing the menu issue on a different OS?

Also, when you minimize and un-minimize, is the client locked up? Can you try opening the launcher at that point, then closing it right away and see what happens?

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Amphetamine Toxine
Amarr Wardens
THE BESTICLES
#80 - 2012-04-27 06:13:51 UTC
Before April 26th patch

I had two client EO1 and EO2, so i have the habit to change info.plist file and everything was fine.

After April 26th patch

I still have two client, i still change info.plist

- EO1, no prob
- EO2 -> I have Inferno screen for 1 sec then crash

if in my EO2 info.plist i put EO1 in bundle name... it works.. .but not if I put EO2