These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Recruitment

Author
Mark Androcius
#1 - 2012-04-24 08:53:41 UTC
Ok, about a year or 2 ago, i recruited up to 20 new players in 2 weeks, no biggy, no fuzz.

Now though ( having a corp with this alt ), i can't even recruit 1 new member, while i've been at it for about 3 weeks now.
All this while using the very same technique's i used successfully before.

You guys got any tips for me maybe?
Is there something wrong with the recruitment system in any way?
Do people even look at these adds in game?
Does everybody just want to be part of a huge alliance?
Is it perhaps to easy to setup a one man corporation?

Speak, discuss, explain.

Cheers,

Mark
Dradius Calvantia
Lip Shords
#2 - 2012-04-24 08:56:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Dradius Calvantia
If you have something of value to offer potential recruits... it should be easy to build your corp. If you are just another one man H sec bearing corp... well there are thousands of them.
Peter Raptor
Galactic Hawks
#3 - 2012-04-24 08:57:13 UTC
Most small corps fail, most ppl therefore dont bother.

Evelopedia; 

The Amarr Empire, is known for its omnipresent religion  †  

Sasha Azala
Doomheim
#4 - 2012-04-24 09:00:41 UTC
Don't invite anyone to your corp if you're not prepared to invest time in them.

Which means, get them actively involved in the corp rather than just using them to bloat the numbers.
Mark Androcius
#5 - 2012-04-24 09:05:35 UTC
Dradius Calvantia wrote:
If you have something of value to offer potential recruits... it should be easy to build your corp. If you are just another one man H sec bearing corp... there are thousands of them...

Yeah, i noticed that too, should have mentioned it in the OP.

Seriously? offering something of value? wtf? no, that is not and should not be the way to go.
This would mean real life cash would come into play.
I'd just buy lots of plex and start handing them out to everybody who wants to become a member and there you go.

No, no, no, no and uhm HELL NO, that's just ill, you should become a member of a corporation, because their idea's fit yours, because their goals are in line with yours, because the people in that corporation, are easy to talk to, simply because you share the same passions.

This is how real life works, and so it should work that way in game too, it worked for goonswarm ( in the beginning ), it worked for EVERY other corporation/Alliance that now has something to say in null, they all started with little to nothing, to become great as a team.
Mark Androcius
#6 - 2012-04-24 09:06:37 UTC
Sasha Azala wrote:

Which means, get them actively involved in the corp rather than just using them to bloat the numbers.

I actually am an avid believer of that philosophy, but you got to get the members in before you can invest the time into them.
Ai Shun
#7 - 2012-04-24 09:09:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Ai Shun
Mark Androcius wrote:
Speak, discuss, explain.

The game is changing as well, perhaps. I've looked at your corp bio and it says:

Quote:

This corp has been established, with the idea to unite Solo/casual players.
Everyone in the corp is allowed to do his or her own thing all the time.

At the same time, a growing group of members will mean more protection and therefor less risk of being ganked, ultimatelly increasing long term profit in your personal wallet.

Of course, the corp will also have it's team things, but this is neither manditory nor anything very time consuming.

Why would somebody want to be there?

They've got a bit of time to invest in the game, don't they want to do something? Go blow something up, put up a PoS or know that something is happening - they're making some kind of impact. The game is full of epic stories like the Guiding Hand Social Club, Hulkageddon, Burn Jita, Flight of a Thousand Rifters - these are things that shape EVE.

Maybe not quite the same as it was two years ago? Dunno. It just seems a bit lacklustre, unambitious and laid back. Maybe a Gallente pilot would drool over it P

Quote:
This is how real life works, and so it should work that way in game too, it worked for goonswarm ( in the beginning ), it worked for EVERY other corporation/Alliance that now has something to say in null, they all started with little to nothing, to become great as a team.

Most of them came from established communities. Translating that friendship to a game is the easy bit.

And no, I don't think it has to be material. It can be an objective, a goal, something to work towards and be a part of. That is valuable; especially to newish players trying to find their feet.
Sasha Azala
Doomheim
#8 - 2012-04-24 09:11:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Sasha Azala
Mark Androcius wrote:
Sasha Azala wrote:

I actually am an avid believer of that philosophy, but you got to get the members in before you can invest the time into them.

You should not try to expand too fast to the point that you neglect the people you have already.

Edit: This of course applies to small corps, large corps tend to have enough people that to some degree this potential problem attends to itself as long as the people in that large corp have not formed groups and are less prepared to let newer people in.
Mark Androcius
#9 - 2012-04-24 09:21:29 UTC
Ai Shun wrote:

They've got a bit of time to invest in the game, don't they want to do something? Go blow something up, put up a PoS or know that something is happening - they're making some kind of impact. The game is full of epic stories like the Guiding Hand Social Club, Hulkageddon, Burn Jita, Flight of a Thousand Rifters - these are things that shape EVE.

Maybe not quite the same as it was two years ago? Dunno. It just seems a bit lacklustre, unambitious and laid back. Maybe a Gallente pilot would drool over it P

Yeah yeah, i know, but.... haven't you seen the sheer amount of solo corporations out there?
Not to mention, the huge amount of players, that have been part of an NPC corp for months, sometimes even years.

They are all industrial/mining pilots ( well maybe not all, but mostly they are ), so uniting them, doesn't really seem like such a bad idea does it?

I mean, Orca support, support in numbers, support in intel, that sort of stuff, all of it is way much better then sticking with a npc corp ( or i must be an idiot, don't know really ).
Mark Androcius
#10 - 2012-04-24 09:22:47 UTC
Sasha Azala wrote:
You should not try to expand too fast to the point that you neglect the people you have already.

The members i already have, have been members for at least 6 months now, so i was talking about new members.
You have to get one first, before you can invest time into them.
Dradius Calvantia
Lip Shords
#11 - 2012-04-24 09:30:45 UTC
Mark Androcius wrote:

Seriously? offering something of value? wtf? no, that is not and should not be the way to go.
I'd just buy lots of plex and start handing them out to everybody who wants to become a member and there you go.

No, no, no, no and uhm HELL NO, that's just ill, you should become a member of a corporation, because their idea's fit yours, because their goals are in line with yours, because the people in that corporation, are easy to talk to, simply because you share the same passions.

What the hell are you talking about... I meant, you need to have a reason for them to join your corp. Do you offer access to resources that will help them attain their goals, intel channels and logistics chains, a good social atmosphere... ect.

At no time did I suggest you should bribe them into your corp with RL goods.
Sasha Azala
Doomheim
#12 - 2012-04-24 09:40:58 UTC
Mark Androcius wrote:
Sasha Azala wrote:

The members i already have, have been members for at least 6 months now, so i was talking about new members.
You have to get one first, before you can invest time into them.

I think the problem with getting new players to join a small corp is that the majority of players that would be potential recruits are not new to MMOs and have already had experiences with smaller corps that were not positive.
Misanth
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE
#13 - 2012-04-24 09:54:28 UTC
There's shitloads of corps that are focusing on people with their playstyle, whatever it may be. You have to give them some incentitive to join, simply put.

There's some more elaborate feedback on that up there *points at previous posts*, but just ask yourself this; if you were a potential member that share your corporations interests, how would they find you, and why would they chose you over other corps?

I've been a member of three corps that I enjoyed, and I would considered 'good' corps. All of them I joined by reference of previous members. I have tested a few different random corps that I saw ads for, or came in contact with. All of them turned out to be a failure, in different ways.

I'd start by putting down a long-term game play, would try find a niche or specialize on something, or advert it very hard to profile the corp to the public in a certain fashion. Then I'd build contact networks. Eventually the members will come to you, not the other way around, and you will find the members who shares your interests, rather than the (probably) younger pilots who has no clue of their own identity yet, and/or lacks contact networks.

AFK-cloaking in a system near you.

Himnos Altar
An Errant Venture
#14 - 2012-04-24 09:56:07 UTC
Mark Androcius wrote:
Ai Shun wrote:

Yeah yeah, i know, but.... haven't you seen the sheer amount of solo corporations out there?
Not to mention, the huge amount of players, that have been part of an NPC corp for months, sometimes even years.

They are all industrial/mining pilots ( well maybe not all, but mostly they are ), so uniting them, doesn't really seem like such a bad idea does it?

I mean, Orca support, support in numbers, support in intel, that sort of stuff, all of it is way much better then sticking with a npc corp ( or i must be an idiot, don't know really ).

you're assuming they don't have and Orca alt/main, and generally you don't need intel in hi sec (usually).....plus the fact that you can use Corp Hangars for storage/organization across multiple characters, as well as easy transfer of goods between alts without having to worry about potential thieves......

so yeah, why would they give up all the nice features of all that just to do the same damn thing they're doing now in a corp where they might get royally screwed over by leadership/other members when the ONLY thing you're offering them is a shared chat channel? I mean it's not like there are OTHER chat channels that they can talk to their friends in.....
Florestan Bronstein
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#15 - 2012-04-24 10:02:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Florestan Bronstein
Mark Androcius wrote:

offering "something of value" does usually not directly translate into "offering isk", although isk can be a part of it (via reimbursements, ship/skillbook subsidies, ...); more often than not it refers to a set of specific goals, capabilities and the general environment of the corporation.

the question you have to answer is "What does your corporation off that other corporations don't? How is it different?"

I'm in SniggWaffe. That corporation offers me pvp opportunities - it doesn't offer me access to ratting space, it doesn't offer me ship reimbursements, it doesn't offer me mining ops, it doesn't offer me special snowflake treatment.
But it does offer me ample opportunities to improve at pvp in a pretty unique environment. There are very few other corporations in EVE that are comparable to SniggWaffe in that respect.

Don't try to appeal to every playstyle and every player. Do a select few things and do them well.
And don't think that your unique and awesome personality is enough to make people want to join you - because even if it were, your recruits could only realize this after joining you.

Offer your corp member something of value, something different from most of the other corporations out there. And put some effort into communicating what "value" you offer when looking for recruits.

Quote:
This corp has been established, with the idea to unite Solo/casual players.
Everyone in the corp is allowed to do his or her own thing all the time.

At the same time, a growing group of members will mean more protection and therefor less risk of being ganked, ultimatelly increasing long term profit in your personal wallet.

Of course, the corp will also have it's team things, but this is neither manditory nor anything very time consuming.

Who can apply:
Miners
Researchers
Manufacturers
Mission runners (Caldari missions prefered, but ammar is acceptable too)
Haulers

We are a friendly bunch of people and are looking for more friendly faces in our corp, so if you're up for it, the "apply to join" button is only half an inch away.

you can't really get any more generic than this, there are probably a few hundred corporations in EVE who offer pretty much the same environment as "Pride is Our Nation" does.
Why does the game need your corporation?
How would players not be equally well off joining any of the other, similar corporations?

Your whole advert seems to be designed around not scaring off any potential recruit. Everything is left vague and non-committal, nothing is asked from the recruit and nothing anyone could object to is offered by your corporation.

Leave out bullshit sentences like

Quote:
"Of course, the corp will also have it's team things, but this is neither manditory nor anything very time consuming."
  • "will" in a recruitment advert translates to "we don't have this but are afraid to admit so";
  • "we will move to null-sec", "we will run pvp training ops", "we will expand into T3 manufacturing", ... only means "we are not in 0.0", "we don't run pvp training ops", "we don't do T3 manufacturing" and potential recruits know that.

• if you had done any of these "team things" you would know what they are and be able to name them - e.g. "we run regular mission fleets", "we have weekly mining ops with Orca support", "we like to go on frigate roams", ....

• "nor anything time consuming" sounds way better than "nor anything very time consuming". The former may not be 100% accurate but it's actually a clear statement. The latter tries hard to contradict itself: "it's not time consuming .... well, maybe it is time consuming ... but at least it is not very time consuming!".
  • Do you know anyone who would be up for an (unpleasant by the sound of it) activity that is "time consuming" but wouldn't be up for one that is "very time consuming"? I don't.
    Try to make clear, unambiguous statements and avoid going a step back for every two steps you go forward.

• get your spelling right, "its" vs "it's"

and
Quote:
the "apply to join" button is only half an inch away.
is just selling yourself cheap. Is the best reason you could come up with for people to join you that it is easy to hit the Apply button?

Go like this through every single sentence of your recruitment pitch, read it to yourself a few times and cut out all bullshit, self-denigration and vagueness.

"This corp has been established, with the idea to unite Solo/casual players." is a good start. Keep that first sentence and scrap everything else.

Why is it good for solo/casual players to unite?
a social group for people who want to play solo (are anti-social), isn't this an oxymoron?
for that idea to make any sense you have to have some theory about why these people aren't really anti-social and what all the other corporations are doing wrong?
Explain with some detail who the people you want to attract are, how being in your corp is good for them and what the other corporations are doing wrong that caused your recruits to stay solo players for so long.
Tell them how your corporation does things differently, how it attracts and "unites" the solo/casual players.
Mark Androcius
#16 - 2012-04-24 10:29:38 UTC
Hmmmm, quite a few good tips here, i think i can work something out of this.

Thanks guys, fly safe.