These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Cheap Probing/ExplorationShip?

Author
Torigoma
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#1 - 2012-04-23 14:16:08 UTC
Can someone recommend a cheap Exploration Ship? One that'll let me scan down some of the tougher signals, then jump into my Rat Hunter or Mining Barge at a station to clear them out.

Preferably one UNDER 20,000,0000. and even thats gonna take me awhile to get, at least until I find a rare Magnet/Ore site (only running Veld with a Retriever right now).

I'm currently running a Drake outfitted for some of the tougher Rats, jumping from Hideout to Hideout hoping to get lucky, but It's not that great

Present Budget: 20,000,000
Dheeradj Nurgle
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#2 - 2012-04-23 14:51:08 UTC
Cheap exploration?

Just get one of the frigs you get in the exploration tutorials.... Good enough for most things, and quickly replacable.
Flakey Foont
#3 - 2012-04-23 14:55:25 UTC
Drake works.
Torigoma
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#4 - 2012-04-23 14:55:29 UTC
I'm a old, returning player, missed out on the Exploration tutorial. or can I still get it?
Torigoma
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#5 - 2012-04-23 14:59:11 UTC
Flakey Foont wrote:
Drake works.

I've heard Drakes are not that great for exploration, or does it not matter if you have high "Astrometric Rangefinding" skill level (+10% probe strength), I'm at 3 right now.
Element Darksteel
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2012-04-23 15:52:43 UTC
maybe this is information that helps.

anything that is not a covert ops (anathema, helios, etc) scanning relies on personnel skills.

just use the racial t1 version of the covert ops ship. if the ship cant support the dps then seek t1 version of recon ship
Eladanus
White Sun Enterprises
#7 - 2012-04-23 15:54:23 UTC
Torigoma wrote:
Flakey Foont wrote:
Drake works.

I've heard Drakes are not that great for exploration, or does it not matter if you have high "Astrometric Rangefinding" skill level (+10% probe strength), I'm at 3 right now.

I have Astro Rangefinding and Astrometrics at 4 and Aquisition and Pinpointing at 3 and I've had no problems scanning down any sig in high-sec. Thats using sisters launcher and probes.

The drake will set you back more than 20 mil though, more getting on for 100 once youve got rigs/sisters stuff etc. Also youl need quite a few sp invested in getting the drake to work well once you take out 2 highs for a launcher and salavager and potentially 2 mids for the codebreaker and analyser.

I gather the arbitrator is a good exploration ship, since its a drone boat. But I havnt looked at that enough to comment.
Caleidascope
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#8 - 2012-04-23 15:54:58 UTC
Torigoma wrote:
Flakey Foont wrote:
Drake works.

Depends what you are trying to scan.

I use drake because I am lazy. I don't want to run around from scanning ship to combat ship and back. I scan in high and low sec. I don't go to null to explore. Also exploration is more of a hobby for me, not how I make bulk of my isk.

If you are more serious about exploration, then it might be worth your while to invest into better ships like tengu or drag two ships with you.

If you are more casual explorer, like me, then a bc with some skills works.

Life is short and dinner time is chancy

Eat dessert first!

MadraRuaa
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2012-04-23 15:58:29 UTC  |  Edited by: MadraRuaa
Each race has a dedicated exploration Frigate how you chose to fit it is up to you. The speed at which you can scan things down are skill reliant.

Imicus
Probe
Heron
Magnate

Each race also has a dedicated exploration CovOps which gives better bonus' and the ability to travel cloaked, again how you fit it is up to you and the space you're flying in.

The problem with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and putting things in it.

Torigoma
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#10 - 2012-04-23 18:09:21 UTC
K, so have decided to go with a Heron for right now, whats a good Fit for it?
Lost Greybeard
Drunken Yordles
#11 - 2012-04-23 18:35:21 UTC
Torigoma wrote:
K, so have decided to go with a Heron for right now, whats a good Fit for it?

For the t1 version of a scanning ship:

Probe launcher w/ Sisters of Eve scanner probes
Cloaking device 1
Small Gravity Capacitor rigs (or whatever the name is, I forget)

For the t2 (covops) version:

Expanded Probe launcher w/ Sisters of Eve scanner probes and SoE Combat Scanner Probes
Advanced Cloaking device
Small Gravity Capacitor upgrade rigs

You don't need tank, you don't really even need propulsion (though I guess you might as well stick an MWD on, I suppose). Since you have another ship to do the actual work, you're just going to be launching probes, cloaking up, then probing in the system map for a while while ignoring the fact that your pod is in space at all.
MadraRuaa
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2012-04-23 23:42:02 UTC
Drop cloak if its not your cup of tea, its only there to make sure no nastys see you while stationary and scanning,

[Heron, Exploration Heron]
Overdrive Injector System II

1MN MicroWarpdrive I
Cap Recharger II
Cap Recharger II

Expanded Probe Launcher I, Sisters Core Scanner Probe I
Prototype Cloaking Device I

Small Gravity Capacitor Upgrade I
[empty rig slot]

My CovOps scanning ship, does exactly what I need it to which is scan fast and GTFO to reship, I'm sure peeps will see a better way to fit it but I have had this ship activly scanning for over a year now in and out of Null/Low/Empire

[Helios, Covert ops]
Overdrive Injector System II
Nanofiber Internal Structure II
Co-Processor II

1MN MicroWarpdrive II
Cap Recharger II
Cap Recharger II
Cap Recharger II
Sensor Booster II, Scan Resolution

Sisters Expanded Probe Launcher, Sisters Core Scanner Probe I
Covert Ops Cloaking Device II

The problem with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and putting things in it.

Oraac Ensor
#13 - 2012-04-24 01:07:03 UTC
Torigoma wrote:
I'm a old, returning player, missed out on the Exploration tutorial. or can I still get it?

Yes, you can still do all the career tutorials - there are three sets of agents for each race. Each set can be done only once.

Caldari

Solar System: Akiainavas

Abishi Tian - Industry
Pusamon Arnen - Business
Shiokala Notaja - Advanced Military
Unachi Arikola - Exploration
Yamonen Petihainen - Military

Solar System: Jouvulen
Anmon Otsi - Advanced Military
Ikonaiki Ebora - Military
Kirvas Ohvali - Industry
Ochishi Veilai - Business
Rimaremi Tasanen - Exploration

Solar System: Uitra
Chigas Ovoken - Exploration
Hakkaras Ihora - Business
Ijumachi Vuonolailen - Advanced Military
Ranta Tarumo - Military
Kokseri Velen - Industry
Beliandra
Elgoi Developments Inc.
#14 - 2012-04-24 05:40:25 UTC
If you fly a Heron, it's got 3 mid slots, so you could stick a Codebreaker and Analyzer on there along with the MWD. That way if you find an unguarded hacking or archaeology site you don't need to mess around switching ships or refitting.

All of the T1 probing frigates have only two high slots, though, so no scan probe / cloak / salvager setup is possible.