These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

New lvl 4 mission runner seeking help

Author
MICH00000
Jovian Gaurdians
#1 - 2012-04-19 06:12:24 UTC
OK, first thread posted on the forums I hope I don't fail miserably. Smile

Anywho on to the business at hand.

See I just gained access to level 4's and am currently wondering what ship to fly. I was thinking megathron or Apoc but hybrids and lasers just seem to fill 2 damage niches. I can go raven or maelstrom but am confused on just which ship to pick exactly. I guess I'm just looking for a ship that's pretty forgiving but can dish out punishment back, if you could help me find that ship then you would be most helpful!

Please help oh wise masters of ships and modules decide what ships to fly! Big smile

ACE81
Sacred Sacrifice
Absolute Will
#2 - 2012-04-19 06:21:20 UTC  |  Edited by: ACE81
Any of those ships will do if you have the skills if not use a drake till you do less painful imo
Miles O'Connor
Red Pegasus Fleet
#3 - 2012-04-19 06:34:19 UTC
ACE81 wrote:
Any of those ships will do if you have the skills if not use a drake till you do less painful imo

Using a Drake in a level 4 mission when you don't have good enough skills to fit a BS well is not likely to end well...and if it works, it'll take FOREVER.

OP, we need to know what sort of skills you have in order to give you advice that's more relevant to you. Shield? Armor? Turrets? Missiles? Race ship training?
IGNATIUS HOOD
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#4 - 2012-04-19 16:21:30 UTC
I use a Navy Apoc personally. Its forgiving and with Pulses and Scorches you can usually hammer most of the bigger ships before they really get in close to hurt you. With all L4 missions you need to mind the aggro when you solo and you need to make sure you kill the ewar ships first. Trust me you don't want to be scrammed and webbed. Kill those guys off and keep moving to keep your transversal up.

I'm at work otherwise I'd post my Napoc fit. Email me or chat me in game if you want to see it.

Also, unless you're grinding for standing and can't afford to pass on missions. Don't do the faction ones. They are typically pretty difficult and you lose standing with the faction you're fighting which could have bad long term consquences if you are a career missioner. I speak from expirience, the Minmatar and the Gallente hate my guts becuase of all the ass beatings I gave them on my grind to 8+ standing for Jump Clones. Evil
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."   --H.L. Mencken
OmegaMahn
Guild of Independent Pilots
DammFam
#5 - 2012-04-19 21:10:55 UTC
My favorite is the Ishtar - good resists, fairly fast, can use high slots to tractor/salvage or for guns, and cruiser hull gets less ninjas - but you have to have good drone skills.
MICH00000
Jovian Gaurdians
#6 - 2012-04-19 23:25:28 UTC  |  Edited by: MICH00000
Miles O'Connor wrote:
ACE81 wrote:

Using a Drake in a level 4 mission when you don't have good enough skills to fit a BS well is not likely to end well...and if it works, it'll take FOREVER.

OP, we need to know what sort of skills you have in order to give you advice that's more relevant to you. Shield? Armor? Turrets? Missiles? Race ship training?

Well I mostly have skills in armor and turrets and raceship wise I'm trained minmatar/gallente.
FT Diomedes
The Graduates
#7 - 2012-04-19 23:40:55 UTC  |  Edited by: FT Diomedes
Based on your skill set, train for the Dominix. It has ample tank to handle Level 4s and eventually can be very competitive DPS-wise. Drone skills are useful no matter what race you want to fly in the future.

Obviously, everyone and their dog has an opinion about what a good Dominix fit looks like. Here is a fit that is something to aim towards. I'm not saying its perfect, but I think it's an easy to use fit for a younger player - obviously you have to use T1/named mods until you can fit the T2 stuff. It's not that tight a fit, so it may be a bit less optimal than some fits, but it should work without maxed skills. If you go this route, get your armor and cap skills up first, then T2 drones, then T2 guns last.

[Dominix, Dominix]
Capacitor Power Relay II
Armor Thermic Hardener II
Armor Kinetic Hardener II
Armor Thermic Hardener II
Armor Kinetic Hardener II
Damage Control II
Large Armor Repairer II

Omnidirectional Tracking Link II
Cap Recharger II
Cap Recharger II

350mm Railgun II, Antimatter Charge L
Drone Link Augmentor II

Large Sentry Damage Augmentor I
Large Capacitor Control Circuit I
Large Capacitor Control Circuit I

Garde II x5
Hobgoblin II x5
Hornet II x5
Hammerhead II x5
Warrior II x5
Bouncer II x5

CCP should add more NPC 0.0 space to open it up and liven things up: the Stepping Stones project.

Hya Bam
It's Hammer Time
#8 - 2012-04-19 23:47:21 UTC
FT Diomedes wrote:
Based on your skill set, train for the Dominix. It has ample tank to handle Level 4s and eventually can be very competitive DPS-wise. Drone skills are useful no matter what race you want to fly in the future.

Was just going to suggest this. Domi is very forgiving; you can start of with max tank, and as you become more comfortable and experienced with lvl 4's, edge your way toward gank.

Only drawback is that drones make up a good portion of your damage, so halfway decent drone skills are needed.

Is this sig EVE related?

MICH00000
Jovian Gaurdians
#9 - 2012-04-20 00:10:29 UTC
So don't use blasters for missions but instead use railguns on my domi? Also just a quick question so after the domi should I go megathron?
FT Diomedes
The Graduates
#10 - 2012-04-20 00:15:12 UTC
If you stick with PvE for that long, then stick with the Dominix until you go to the Vindicator or Kronos. You can play around with a Navy Dominix or Navy Megathron along the way if you like. These days I mostly fly Marauders for PvE, but I still have a few [Navy] Dominixes at old mission running locations throughout Gallente and Minmatar space.

Rails are much better than blasters for Level 4 missions. The only exception to this is against Angels. My anti-Angel fit uses T2 heavy drones, blasters, an AB, and a web (with a flight of sentries to snipe at them until they get close).

CCP should add more NPC 0.0 space to open it up and liven things up: the Stepping Stones project.

Marc Callan
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2012-04-20 11:13:46 UTC
MICH00000 wrote:
So don't use blasters for missions but instead use railguns on my domi? Also just a quick question so after the domi should I go megathron?

Blasters are only good at close range - even using Tech-2 neutron cannons, with long-range T2 null charges, your optimal's less than 20km, the tracking on large guns isn't any good against anything lighter-weight than a battlecruiser, and it's only a minority of the NPC rats that will let you get into blaster range, especially with a Domi - the ship moves like a slug. For missions, you really need the longer range that railguns will give you.

As for the Megathron, it's more geared for PVP combat - much smaller drone bay, but it can be fitted with a massive armor buffer and set up for either railgun sniper combat or close-range blaster brawling. I got caught on the wrong side of one in a war earlier this year, and with an armor-repairing logistics ship backing it up, it tore me and my corp-mates to pieces and barely took a scratch.

However, it's not set up to solo L4 missions, which will throw all sizes of ships at you - that's where the Domi's drone bay comes in handy, as you'll have weapons on hand to counter everything from frigates to battleships. The Mega's only got a 125 m3 drone bay, enough for either a single flight of heavies/sentries, or an assortment of mediums and lights.

(Also, the drones will let you select your damage against the hostiles you can expect to face, whereas hybrid weapons always and only deal kinetic and thermal damage.)

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegurt

General Trajan
State War Academy
Caldari State
#12 - 2012-04-20 12:31:08 UTC
MICH00000 wrote:

Well I mostly have skills in armor and turrets and raceship wise I'm trained minmatar/gallente.

as important in what to fly now it is also important and what you'd like to fly down the road and for what purposes possibly outside of just L4s.

for now the meal is a solid choice for L4s though you will need shield skills. then think of what else you can branch into more awesome ships to fly. does the machariel sound sexy? maxing out L4s running by getting into the vargur? like tier-3s and want one of the most popular in the tornado?

same goes if you go with gallente. domi/thron are solid to start out. then you got vindicator for faction pimp. then kronos for all around L4 whoring.
Kalli Brixzat
#13 - 2012-04-21 05:22:45 UTC
Any BS can do L4's with relative ease. Some will have a tougher go early on with low skills. In essence, if you have **** skills, you're going to have a hard time with ships that need to get close (i.e. blaster and A/C boats). The Raven is always an excellent choice because you can just out-range most mission rats and take no damage. Your DPS won't be "omgwtflol", but slow and steady wins the race early on.

At first, your primary goal should be to not die. As you progress and perhaps get into a navy BS, you can start to worry about mission completion speed.
Jake Warbird
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#14 - 2012-04-21 06:26:25 UTC
I'd drop a hardner each on the domi fit posted above and use mag stabs. But trust me, a blaster/AC ship can be loads of fun if you are not obsessive about isk/hr.
Lili Lu
#15 - 2012-04-21 16:12:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Lili Lu
MICH00000 wrote:

FT had good advice and fit for you. As for blasters, they simply don't have enough range. Missions are largely a kill things at range before they get close and do damage to you exercise. Whether you are using missiles, guns, or drones range is your best tactic.

That is why your domi should be centered on Sentry drones. Heavy drones are excruciatingly slow to get to target.

As for a Mega, I have seen people get frustrated with an lose them too often. If you want a Gallente mission BS other than a Domi I would suggest playing around with Hyperion because it gets a tanking bonus in addtion to a damage bonus. But the Domi will still outperform it as the 6 lows on the Hype means you have to have good skills and make intelligent choices with your fittings.
Skorpynekomimi
#16 - 2012-04-21 16:21:52 UTC
Whatever you do, make sure to check eve-survival for mission information, and pick tank/ammo accordingly.

And make sure you train for a T2 tank ASAP. Absolute first priority. Next priority is T2 guns, then T2 drones.

Economic PVP

Lili Lu
#17 - 2012-04-21 16:25:40 UTC
Skorpynekomimi wrote:
Whatever you do, make sure to check eve-survival for mission information, and pick tank/ammo accordingly.

And make sure you train for a T2 tank ASAP. Absolute first priority. Next priority is T2 guns, then T2 drones.

If flying a Domi, T2 drones come ahead of T2 guns. But otherwise good advice.
Skorpynekomimi
#18 - 2012-04-21 18:22:46 UTC
Lili Lu wrote:
Skorpynekomimi wrote:

If flying a Domi, T2 drones come ahead of T2 guns. But otherwise good advice.

Well, I fly minmatar. Guns are important.
However, said advice was learned the hard way. My poor shield-tanked mael went most of the way through armour a couple of times before I learned what I was doing, and had T2 resists trained.

Also:
SUPPORT SKILLS. DO NOT NEGLECT THEM.
They can turn an adequate tank into one that doesn't require much oversight.

Economic PVP

Maxpie
MUSE LLP
#19 - 2012-04-21 20:26:19 UTC
Don't fly anything too expensive at first (unless isk is meaningless to you). Get the feel for level 4's before you splurge for a Kronos or something. As said, Domi is good. Personally I flew a Typhoon for a good long while.

No good deed goes unpunished

MICH00000
Jovian Gaurdians
#20 - 2012-04-21 20:36:12 UTC
Well I really settled on a domi and I'm loving it!
12Next page