These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Why isn't Eve more successful?

Author
DelBoy Trades
Trotter Independent Traders.
#341 - 2012-04-19 03:20:47 UTC
Because EVE scares off new players.

Damn nature, you scary!

Azemar
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#342 - 2012-04-19 03:48:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Azemar
As the post above me said, Eve is one of if not the worst mmo in terms of being a new player. CCP is pushed into a corner because anything that would benefit new players makes old players go off on a tangent. For such a large and immersive game, its fundamental features are very restrictive. And while the player base is loyal, they don't exactly help the game grow.

Also for some reason the game plays a lot better in your head and in theory than it actually does.
Vetorept Fera
Doomheim
#343 - 2012-04-19 03:56:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Vetorept Fera
I think it's also important to consider the definition of success. If success is defined as having millions of active subs or the MOST active subs, well then, I would have to say no thanks. That game is a seething cesspool of the most rotten elements of humanity (and not in a sexy, nefarious, eve online way, but an annoying 4 channish way). The developers are constantly handcuffed by the constraints of catering to such broad masses, which in turn- dumbs down the content. A LOT.

Consider a more modest definition of success: Eve Online has payed for itself many times over and is quite profitable. CCP hf is widely considered one of the most, if not THE most successful indie studio today.

Metallica was often called the "Thinking Man's Band" because of their intelligent lyrics, Eve Online is the intelligent mans' MMO.

In pace requiescat

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#344 - 2012-04-19 03:57:30 UTC
Azemar wrote:
As the post above me said, Eve is one of if not the worst mmo in terms of being a new player. CCP is pushed into a corner because anything that would benefit new players makes old players go off on a tangent.
Not really. The problem is rather that most of the suggestions regarding what could “benefit new players” is hilariously exploitable by old players to the point that their introduction would completely screw over the new players they're supposed to help.

A large part of that is the assumption among those less experienced players that EVE works along the same lines as all the other games they're used to, and that the problems and solutions they see in those games are applicable here. Often, the situation is completely different: the problem doesn't actually exist because the mechanics don't work the way they think, and their solution actually introduces the problem in question instead (cf. pretty much any SP-related revamp suggested ever).
Kaivar Lancer
Doomheim
#345 - 2012-04-19 04:18:30 UTC
Why I stopped playing Eve...

- paying $15 per month is such an antiquated system of accessing MMOs, especially when you might only play once or twice a fortnight. Let me pay for the time I PLAY.

I now returned to LOTRO. I pay for what I want, WHEN I want. When I stop playing, I don't have to worry about throwing dead money on a subscription.
Propmod
The Creepshow
#346 - 2012-04-19 05:20:09 UTC
Brooks Puuntai wrote:
You act as if its a bad thing Eve isn't as popular as WoW or SWTOR. Could you imagine 5 million PCU and watching the servers explode. Eve's major design flaw is the fact it doesn't scale well with high numbers.
This. This game can't get big. It would be able to handle it if it did.
Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#347 - 2012-04-19 06:58:02 UTC
Vetorept Fera wrote:
I think it's also important to consider the definition of success. If success is defined as having millions thousands of active subs or the MOST active subs, well then, I would have to say no thanks.That game is a seething cesspool of the most rotten elements of humanity (and not in a sexy, nefarious, eve online way, but an annoying 4 channish way). The developers are constantly handcuffed by the constraints of catering to such broad masses, which in turn- dumbs down the content. A LOT.

You DO understand that you have just perfectly described EvE? Ther's no sexy, nefarious EvE way, d!cks are d!cks and that's it. The only difference is that in EvE the clueless noob kind of players are quickly kicked out and they are the millions. All of the rest including 4 chans are all here.
Merovee
Gorthaur Legion
Imperium Mordor
#348 - 2012-04-19 10:46:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Merovee
People are starting to notice EVE because of Dust. What will happen when it is released will change everything and I bet there will be a lot of people whining about the old days when only leets played EVE.

To the point why I quit playing the first time I played EVE is the cold and lonely the game appears to a new player. The best part of my 1st time playing is running into M0o and being chased out of 0.0 without losing my ship. The pride and the hand shaking excitement I felt in that encounter made me grin from ear to ear for a week.

I think the rats in high sec are too wimpy, need more risk.

NPC rats should be at war with NPC corps and attack them at gates and stations in high sec. This is the best training we can give to a new player. That ever present danger is what gives EVE the edge over other games. This would keep the new players on their toes and alert to any dangers in space travel. I lived in low sec the first four years I played EVE and loved the danger it brought in my ratting career.

Now I don't travel very far, I like to live in a couple of systems and shop in small hubs nearby. Maybe someday I'll try organization in a large corp or alliance. There is a lot of stuff I haven't done yet, and in no rush to do. EVE is not a game to me in the end but a way of life to be experience in my mind. A little guy pretending to be a big guy. Blink

Empire, the next new world order.

Darius Brinn
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#349 - 2012-04-19 11:48:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Darius Brinn
Game mechanics are perceived to be endless point and click to the unfamiliar eye.

The fact that you click and the ship goes straight to that point AUTOMATICALLY turns down two thirds of the sci-fi fans that, when facing EvE for the first time, dream of flying a small but agile ship, spinning madly among bigger ships, dodging shots.

In EvE, your mechanical skills mean ZERO, and you cannot dodge through practice and instinct, or place amazing bullseye shots other than by formulas and values.

Combine this with things like the market window (which sounds and looks like math and planning, and thus labelled "undesirable" by many individuals), the inability (actually, the INADVISABILITY) of letting others see your power and progress through a mere glance at your appearance, and the fact that you can have everything you build and hoard TAKEN away from you by other players, anywhere.

EvE, in short, is not immediately rewarding. I remember the first time I got caught, in 2008. Not knowing how to set up my autopilot options, I was taken through low sec, and my salvaging Catalyst was greeted by a Phobos on the other side. I was extremely PISSED off. My hours of salvaging, my loot and my biggest ship had been utterly LOST forever.

This had never happened to me in a MMORPG. If CCP made a fantasy MMORPG, there would be a button to remove your victim's boots after the killing and another one to rummage in their pockets, and the public is NOT used to this.

And there is more: nonconsensual PVP everywhere, lack of "final bosses" you can expect to engage once you get more powerful...and even the realization that playing this game poorly will NOT make you more powerful. You can play non stop for years, and end up broke and beaten by every other noob adept to PvP.

Nothing can be taken for granted. Nothing is sure. Most things in EvE depend on people, and people (specially people playing this game) are far more cruel than any computer-controlled enemy waiting for you at the end of a dungeon.

Get to Lvl 80 in WoW and no level 50 can even look bad in your direction without knowing you can destroy them by flapping an eyelid. EvE Online laughs at this concept by eliminating this kind of rewarding character progress and putting your own destiny, more or less, in your own hands.

Sooner or later I will run into this 2008 bastard that killed my Catalyst. I've had him in my Contacts for 4 years now. And it's fun to reflect that, sooner or later, he'll get off that damned Nyx he's sitting in and only PERHAPS I'll run into him. With my pals. And loaded guns instead of salvagers.

Isn't that beautiful? With all its flaws, EvE is the people that plays it and that makes it the best videogame I've ever experienced.
Welsige
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#350 - 2012-04-19 16:48:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Welsige
Riddick Liddell wrote:
Welsige wrote:
Malcanis wrote:
valerydarcy wrote:
[quote=Malcanis] quote=Riddick Liddell]I'm dragging a Dark Blood Seeker behind my ship, aligned to a station. It's been like this for 23 minutes and counting

Your salvaging attempt failed this time

I can't imagine why people wouldn't want to do that day in, day out for 6 months untill they get thier SP up.[/quote

If you're not enjoying it, you don't have to do it.

Train salvaging lvl2

Apparently he doesn't enjoy doing that.

Lol, I would take "queue this skill 5 times" than spam salvaging to get the skill up, as it is on every other mmo and give me tendinite.[/quote

Speaking of talking out of your ass, none of you shitforbrains know you need Salvage to 3 to even activate the salvager on an elite wreck? No, didn't think so. Carry on with your troll-fest

Dont exactly know what the point is, but anyway getting salvagers to work take probably less than 1 day, level 4 must be bellow 2 days. Take then an heron and fit some scannign rigs, and suddenly almost all sites will be scannable.

[b]~ 10.058 ~

Free The Mittani[/b]

Vetorept Fera
Doomheim
#351 - 2012-04-19 16:53:16 UTC
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:
Vetorept Fera wrote:
I think it's also important to consider the definition of success. If success is defined as having millions thousands of active subs or the MOST active subs, well then, I would have to say no thanks.That game is a seething cesspool of the most rotten elements of humanity (and not in a sexy, nefarious, eve online way, but an annoying 4 channish way). The developers are constantly handcuffed by the constraints of catering to such broad masses, which in turn- dumbs down the content. A LOT.

You DO understand that you have just perfectly described EvE? Ther's no sexy, nefarious EvE way, d!cks are d!cks and that's it. The only difference is that in EvE the clueless noob kind of players are quickly kicked out and they are the millions. All of the rest including 4 chans are all here.

I know the spirit of 4 chan is thriving in TEST Alliance but I'm curious if you're ever experienced other MMO communities, such as.. the World of Warcraft Community? X Box Live crowd?

In pace requiescat

Welsige
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#352 - 2012-04-19 16:54:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Welsige
Propmod wrote:
Brooks Puuntai wrote:
You act as if its a bad thing Eve isn't as popular as WoW or SWTOR. Could you imagine 5 million PCU and watching the servers explode. Eve's major design flaw is the fact it doesn't scale well with high numbers.
This. This game can't get big. It would be able to handle it if it did.

I hope, If EVE ever goes to grow to that kind of numbers, that it remains a single sharded world.

This is one of the major appeals to me in this game.

I freaking hate the regular mmo's instances and worlds and shards and thousands of servers to chose from with no comunication between worlds and servers with low populations.

[b]~ 10.058 ~

Free The Mittani[/b]

Welsige
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#353 - 2012-04-19 17:20:42 UTC
Darius Brinn wrote:
Game mechanics are perceived to be endless point and click to the unfamiliar eye.

The fact that you click and the ship goes straight to that point AUTOMATICALLY turns down two thirds of the sci-fi fans that, when facing EvE for the first time, dream of flying a small but agile ship, spinning madly among bigger ships, dodging shots.

In EvE, your mechanical skills mean ZERO, and you cannot dodge through practice and instinct, or place amazing bullseye shots other than by formulas and values.

Combine this with things like the market window (which sounds and looks like math and planning, and thus labelled "undesirable" by many individuals), the inability (actually, the INADVISABILITY) of letting others see your power and progress through a mere glance at your appearance, and the fact that you can have everything you build and hoard TAKEN away from you by other players, anywhere.

EvE, in short, is not immediately rewarding. I remember the first time I got caught, in 2008. Not knowing how to set up my autopilot options, I was taken through low sec, and my salvaging Catalyst was greeted by a Phobos on the other side. I was extremely PISSED off. My hours of salvaging, my loot and my biggest ship had been utterly LOST forever.

This had never happened to me in a MMORPG. If CCP made a fantasy MMORPG, there would be a button to remove your victim's boots after the killing and another one to rummage in their pockets, and the public is NOT used to this.

And there is more: nonconsensual PVP everywhere, lack of "final bosses" you can expect to engage once you get more powerful...and even the realization that playing this game poorly will NOT make you more powerful. You can play non stop for years, and end up broke and beaten by every other noob adept to PvP.

Nothing can be taken for granted. Nothing is sure. Most things in EvE depend on people, and people (specially people playing this game) are far more cruel than any computer-controlled enemy waiting for you at the end of a dungeon.

Get to Lvl 80 in WoW and no level 50 can even look bad in your direction without knowing you can destroy them by flapping an eyelid. EvE Online laughs at this concept by eliminating this kind of rewarding character progress and putting your own destiny, more or less, in your own hands.

Sooner or later I will run into this 2008 bastard that killed my Catalyst. I've had him in my Contacts for 4 years now. And it's fun to reflect that, sooner or later, he'll get off that damned Nyx he's sitting in and only PERHAPS I'll run into him. With my pals. And loaded guns instead of salvagers.

Isn't that beautiful? With all its flaws, EvE is the people that plays it and that makes it the best videogame I've ever experienced.

Lol, man, this is beautifully written.

A fact tht i find funny is in regards of the guy that killed you and keeping him in the contacts.

I found it amusing that after all my history in EVE, my actual CEO was red in my contacts, and I even dont remember why. Probably was killed by him early on when I was begining to explore new eden :)

Its kinda of funny, specially that now I know hes a kinda of a cool guy, not anymore a faceless ship that slaughter my ship somewhere in the past.

[b]~ 10.058 ~

Free The Mittani[/b]

Rath Kelbore
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#354 - 2012-04-19 18:31:02 UTC
Marlona Sky wrote:
Rath Kelbore wrote:
It may come as a surprise after reading these forums for any length of time, but I'd be willing to bet that on average the EVE player base is more intelligent/mature/educated than that of other MMO's.

I was unaware there was another version of EVE-Online out there. How does one start an account with the sever that has all the intelligent, mature and educated players?

You'll notice I said "more intelligent........ect".

I plan on living forever.......so far, so good.

Urgg Boolean
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#355 - 2012-04-19 19:16:05 UTC
My six hardcore PvP friends have some specific complaints that a) have been stated already in this thread, and b) typically cause flame wars:
1) sluggish, clunky, non-responsive GUI depsite recent "improvements". These people are not just annoyed with the GUI; nor is this mere dislike; it is honest HATRED of the GUI.
2) Keyboard skills count for almost nothing. For players who have develeoped keyboard skills, this is bad. They feel that one of their best strengths is eliminated from the WIN equation.
3) No skills accelration. This leads to the flame war topic of "catching up" to advanced players.
4) You can't actually hook up your stick and fly the ships Black Prophecy style. Again, the player skills are not an important part of the WIN equation. I have played Black Prophecy and I can tell you that a multiplayer dog fight in an asteroid field is seriously cool fun. Not available in EvE.

When you add all this up, it means that EvE is a very undesireable environment for gaming. Keep in mind that these guys are avid PvPers, and are not averse to EvE's PvP, per se. The consensus is that "EvE is not REAL PvP". Like I said, flame war material.

So this is the opinion of real humans, whom I know, and have sat with in the same room many times. They are avid PvPers in other games, and who have had trail accounts in EvE and dropped them. You can write them off as the "twitch" crowd. But charater assassination is not the point of this thread: EvE's perceived popularity is. And these guys can't be convinced that EvE is a excellent gaming experience for the reason listed.
Welsige
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#356 - 2012-04-19 19:28:45 UTC
Urgg Boolean wrote:
My six hardcore PvP friends have some specific complaints that a) have been stated already in this thread, and b) typically cause flame wars:
1) sluggish, clunky, non-responsive GUI depsite recent "improvements". These people are not just annoyed with the GUI; nor is this mere dislike; it is honest HATRED of the GUI.
2) Keyboard skills count for almost nothing. For players who have develeoped keyboard skills, this is bad. They feel that one of their best strengths is eliminated from the WIN equation.
3) No skills accelration. This leads to the flame war topic of "catching up" to advanced players.
4) You can't actually hook up your stick and fly the ships Black Prophecy style. Again, the player skills are not an important part of the WIN equation. I have played Black Prophecy and I can tell you that a multiplayer dog fight in an asteroid field is seriously cool fun. Not available in EvE.

When you add all this up, it means that EvE is a very undesireable environment for gaming. Keep in mind that these guys are avid PvPers, and are not averse to EvE's PvP, per se. The consensus is that "EvE is not REAL PvP". Like I said, flame war material.

So this is the opinion of real humans, whom I know, and have sat with in the same room many times. They are avid PvPers in other games, and who have had trail accounts in EvE and dropped them. You can write them off as the "twitch" crowd. But charater assassination is not the point of this thread: EvE's perceived popularity is. And these guys can't be convinced that EvE is a excellent gaming experience for the reason listed.

But dogfight while intruduce more action will dwarf more tatical aspects. Like, how will you me able to target and fire multiple targets while havign to pay attention to fast paced ship manouvering?

I see eve as a more tatical sim, where you issue orders and the crew execute it.

The most irritating thign in the game as it stands now for me is flight control. Gettign stuck i gates and jumps sucks.

[b]~ 10.058 ~

Free The Mittani[/b]

Vito Antonio
Doomheim
#357 - 2012-04-19 19:55:04 UTC
Times it takes from installing the game to being on par with other players:

average mmo 2 month
eve 2 years

masternerdguy
Doomheim
#358 - 2012-04-19 19:57:25 UTC
Vito Antonio wrote:

average mmo 2 month
eve 2 years

Did you know you can work as a team?

Things are only impossible until they are not.

Welsige
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#359 - 2012-04-19 20:04:24 UTC
Vito Antonio wrote:

average mmo 2 month
eve 2 years

not true. unless you want a 1 vs 1 with big ships, wich no one does.

things that require too much skills are usually kept safe, day by day activities are done with cheap and low sp stuff.

[b]~ 10.058 ~

Free The Mittani[/b]

JC Anderson
RED ROSE THORN
#360 - 2012-04-19 20:18:43 UTC
Welsige wrote:

not true. unless you want a 1 vs 1 with big ships, wich no one does.

things that require too much skills are usually kept safe, day by day activities are done with cheap and low sp stuff.

This...

With a little knowhow, and enough motivation you can go kick some butt in a Rifter even as a brand new character.

A great demonstration of that spawned a video, which is fun to watch.

2 Rifters
2 Players each playing a 2 day old character
2 much time on their hands

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3riWfJ7CC-I

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK03MwJ5yIc