These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Why isn't Eve more successful?

Author
Marlona Sky
State War Academy
Caldari State
#321 - 2012-04-18 19:35:49 UTC
Rath Kelbore wrote:
It may come as a surprise after reading these forums for any length of time, but I'd be willing to bet that on average the EVE player base is more intelligent/mature/educated than that of other MMO's.

I was unaware there was another version of EVE-Online out there. How does one start an account with the sever that has all the intelligent, mature and educated players?
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#322 - 2012-04-18 19:38:39 UTC
Jessie-A Tassik wrote:

That attitude exactly. That is what I mean.

Oh sure, claiming "People are going to come to Eve to MINE!" is not even insane. Cause no way do you believe that. No way even drooling insane madmen believe that.

You wanna know what? CCP might go bankrupt cause they understand nothing about the "market" at all.

They have a niche SPACESHIP game for OLDER PLAYERS.

They then decide to develop TWO games at once. BAD IDEA. It'd be funny in a freshman business class project.

The Dust "Run Forest Run!" is a First Person Shooter targeted at young people. They changed demographics AND game type. Oh boy.

And you know what they are going up against? Halo. Call of Duty in it's various incarnations. They are going up against the first team(s) in an area where they have no prior experience.

Call of Duty:"Are you a god?"

Dust CCP Developers:"I know quite a bit about virtual economies without market orders."

Call of Duty:"HA HA HA ! THEN DIE!"

That's kinda how it is going to go down.

The only thing CCP has going for it is that the idiot head of Activision tried to wildly cheat the Infinity Ward people so they left.

Golden Goose is dead. But the zombie corpse is probably to much for CCP to handle.

Thats quite a rant about how a boost to mining is destroying your game.
Nick Bison
Bison Industrial Inc
#323 - 2012-04-18 19:46:45 UTC
EveOnline: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. You must be cautious!

Nothing clever at this time.

Welsige
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#324 - 2012-04-18 19:52:37 UTC
Corina Jarr wrote:
Welsige wrote:
Rodj Blake wrote:
In the last decade Dan Brown has sold far more novels than George Orwell.

Does this mean that Dan Brown is the better author?

True. Popular isnt equal to better.

Wow is the best example of this.

I hear Stephanie Meyer's sells well too...Sad

Glitter vampires who dont bite girls errday

[b]~ 10.058 ~

Free The Mittani[/b]

Welsige
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#325 - 2012-04-18 19:54:08 UTC
Marlona Sky wrote:
Rath Kelbore wrote:
It may come as a surprise after reading these forums for any length of time, but I'd be willing to bet that on average the EVE player base is more intelligent/mature/educated than that of other MMO's.

I was unaware there was another version of EVE-Online out there. How does one start an account with the sever that has all the intelligent, mature and educated players?

Only the cool kids get invited.

Send me 1 billion and i will send you a access key.

;)

[b]~ 10.058 ~

Free The Mittani[/b]

Jame Jarl Retief
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#326 - 2012-04-18 20:10:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Jame Jarl Retief
Welsige wrote:

Question is, while in other games you are required to max out to be competitive, in EVe it dosent hold per-se

EVE is less about 1 vs 1, and more about group figth. But even in a 1 vs 1, hardly the combat will envolve a Titan ( lol )

So once you max out frigates, you will be pretty capable to pvp.

Perfectly true, but to a degree. First, it's not about just combat. A level 1 can trade just as well as a level 80 in most other MMOs. Not so in EVE. All facets of the game are affected by SP. Someone with more SP will produce quicker, research faster, scan quicker, trade easier, kill faster, etc. You folks can dance around this as much as you want, but it is a self-evident fact. Older characters can do more things, and better. Increased effectiveness coupled with versatility. A new character simply cannot compete. And while 5% in one area won't win you the fight, 5% in twenty areas will virtually guarantee it. A new guy just can't compete, not until years down the line, where you start getting into somewhat esoteric skills that not everyone needs.

Yes, you could max a frigate and fight another frigate and be on equal footing. This breaks down as soon as the older character sees you in a frigate, and comes back in a destroyer. And so on. And while perhaps titan is a bit much, there's T2 and T3 versions of ships already, and nobody likes to be looking at a few years of training before truly being competitive in a perfectly even 1v1 scenario.

And while I agree that in the grand scheme of things it's not such a big deal, as you are much more likely to encounter a 5v1 than a 1v1 in this game. But I guarantee you this is something every new player thinks about. And for many people, as soon as this realization sets in, it is an immediate deal breaker. And while I fully admit at some point there's a theoretical point where a newer character will catch up and be identical to an old one, I believe it takes something like 20 years worth of training to get to that point. So for most players, the working assumption is that you will always be playing with a handicap against older players. Which makes the system flawed at the core.

What makes it all worse is that the old hands, who claim the advantage is really minimal or even nonexistent will fight tooth and nail to preserve that advantage. Which is what makes the whole situation so comical. People claim that it's really not a big deal, and then come at you frothing at the mouth as soon as you suggest that if it's no big deal, it wouldn't be too bad to normalize things a little to make the field a little more even for newcomers. If advantage is as minimal as you claim it to be, what are you so worried about?
Welsige
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#327 - 2012-04-18 20:27:04 UTC

I believe i started the game about a year or more ago. I never felt myself gimped.

Even flying a T1 frigate.

Part of the game is recognizing what you can and what is too much to you to do at a given time, and focus on what you can do.

In the end, why would I want all those 20 years skills? Really, I dont want them. I dont want to have a clone that is extremelly expensive.

And as sure as hell, i dont want a Titan.

About equal playfield, there must be a diferential between old and new players, and that holds true to all games - there must be somekind of progression.

The equalizing factor comes into play within fleets, where diferent roles balance players. As time goes, you start to accumulate specializations and roles you can perform, instead of being locked up in 1 role.

Of course, if one want to be a trader mogul, a elite pvp, etc, all at once and right from starting the game, that may be dispointing, but then one should not have such expectations in any game.

I do think there should be somekind or learning boosts, that would give an added % to learning that could drop somewhere within eve. But, even being relativelly new, i dont want to gat all handed to me.

[b]~ 10.058 ~

Free The Mittani[/b]

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#328 - 2012-04-18 20:34:12 UTC  |  Edited by: baltec1
Jame Jarl Retief wrote:
stuff

If you get everything handed to you right away then you have nothing to work towards or look forwards to. Also this is why new players in goons tend to not quit.
Mr Kidd
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#329 - 2012-04-18 20:56:29 UTC
Welsige wrote:

I think thats the wrong view about how things exist in EVe.

Like scaning.

Its not "old". It is quite simple, really.

But to get to the point where it becomes simple, it demands skilling of course, but also personal skill. Its not just launch probes, scan, site found, done.

Part of the fun in exploration is that it really is exploration. Its not a given. you gave to look for the sites, put personal skill in it.

Its really a diferential.

If i wanted to know where every damn "raid" was, I would be playing another game, repeating the same old content day in and day out.....

See, this is exactly what the other person is saying, right here. There's no personal skill involved in probing. If you're SP investment sucks in probing, you will suck. If it doesn't, you won't. Sure, there are little tricks you can pick up here and there after fine tuning your technique, but they don't really allow you to be better at it. Instead, stuff like that allows you to save some time from the monotony that is probing.

For instance, arranging probes. There's only so many ways it can be done and be effective. Why can't these arrangements be saved and applied automatically everytime you need to probe when you know you're going to be probing for 20 times today? It doesn't remove skill. It improves game play because it reduces the routine and actually facilitates your game play. And, it's completely dependent on your knowledge of probe arrangement so doesn't detract from your ( lol ) personal skill.

Probing is just archaic in its implementation needing much improvement. Doesn't even require a new interface, just some more ******* options.

Don't ban me, bro!

Welsige
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#330 - 2012-04-18 21:23:16 UTC
Mr Kidd wrote:
Welsige wrote:

I think thats the wrong view about how things exist in EVe.

Like scaning.

Its not "old". It is quite simple, really.

But to get to the point where it becomes simple, it demands skilling of course, but also personal skill. Its not just launch probes, scan, site found, done.

Part of the fun in exploration is that it really is exploration. Its not a given. you gave to look for the sites, put personal skill in it.

Its really a diferential.

If i wanted to know where every damn "raid" was, I would be playing another game, repeating the same old content day in and day out.....

See, this is exactly what the other person is saying, right here. There's no personal skill involved in probing. If you're SP investment sucks in probing, you will suck. If it doesn't, you won't. Sure, there are little tricks you can pick up here and there after fine tuning your technique, but they don't really allow you to be better at it. Instead, stuff like that allows you to save some time from the monotony that is probing.

For instance, arranging probes. There's only so many ways it can be done and be effective. Why can't these arrangements be saved and applied automatically everytime you need to probe when you know you're going to be probing for 20 times today? It doesn't remove skill. It improves game play because it reduces the routine and actually facilitates your game play. And, it's completely dependent on your knowledge of probe arrangement so doesn't detract from your ( lol ) personal skill.

Probing is just archaic in its implementation needing much improvement. Doesn't even require a new interface, just some more ******* options.

Probing isnt SP intensive.

Anyway, saving probe layouts would be cool, as would let me determine what the default radius is (allways have to set it to maximun anyway).

Even without it, the hot keys let you move and resize scan radius fairly easy. I dont think it take me more than 10-15 minutes to probe an entire system.

[b]~ 10.058 ~

Free The Mittani[/b]

Welsige
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#331 - 2012-04-18 21:25:27 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Jame Jarl Retief wrote:
stuff

If you get everything handed to you right away then you have nothing to work towards or look forwards to. Also this is why new players in goons tend to not quit.

QFT

[b]~ 10.058 ~

Free The Mittani[/b]

Lapine Davion
Outer Ring Applied Logistics
#332 - 2012-04-18 21:26:18 UTC
My answer from the second post in this thread still stands.

[b]Don't worry about posting with your main!  Post with your brain! "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."[/b]

Justice Comes
Doomheim
#333 - 2012-04-18 21:30:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Justice Comes
Eve has its own brand of success, so I'm not sure exactly how each person defines that, but...

Eve doesn't have more players because, quite simply, it has already captured most of the PvP gamers that will enjoy the level of complexity and time investment required to be successful at PvP in Eve.

If you want more people you will either have to "dumb down" the barriers to entry (sp/ship requirements, etc.), which existing PvPers will go ballistic over, or bring in more PvE/casuals, which existing PvPers don't want either (even if it doesn't directly hurt them, they are still offended by it).

Pick your poison or stick with your ~40k online player base :p

Most annoying thing of the week: You failed to dock/jump because you are cloaked (in your Deep Space Transport).

Baltasar Maricadie
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#334 - 2012-04-18 21:38:44 UTC
EVE has a reputation for being difficult to learn, confusing to play, full of griefing and scamming, inhabited by neckbeards and sociopaths and about as much fun as doing your taxes.
Lapine Davion
Outer Ring Applied Logistics
#335 - 2012-04-18 21:41:28 UTC
Baltasar Maricadie wrote:
EVE has a reputation for being difficult to learn, confusing to play, full of griefing and scamming, inhabited by neckbeards and sociopaths and about as much fun as doing your taxes.

It is much more fun to read about than reading about taxes. And watching the trailers about eve is more fun than watching a movie about doing taxes.

[b]Don't worry about posting with your main!  Post with your brain! "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."[/b]

Welsige
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#336 - 2012-04-18 21:43:43 UTC
Florio wrote:
It used to be that the new player experience was not so good, but CCP have remedied that with their new tutorials. That's not to say things can't get improved further though.

I think CCP could improve things by looking at the success and allure of RvB. This type of risk-controlled relatively inexpensive arena combat is what new players should be guided towards to get them to understand how brilliant PvP in EVE is, which will then move them towards a better relationship with the game. Basically, CCP would do well imho to consider Arena combat, even to the degree of providing "instances" with free ships for new players for use only in those arenas. This could easily be supported by the backstory: just invent a Gallentean entertainment corporation making gladitorial games holoreels, or Amarrian hunger-games-type arena warfare for Minmatars to earn their freedom. We need new players to PvP in a relatively risk free and inexpensive way as soon as they can and with the road to that PvP signposted and easy to traverse. Hold their hands and help them blow each other up!

Finally, I don't think EVE is a microcosm of society, because real life societies develop effective governance and law enforcement agencies providing meaningful repercusions for wrong-doing, which is absent in EvE.

Well, I allways felt like trying factional warfare, and somewhat think it would be only natural that you started already in some kind of empire conflict.

That would give players more right at start to go from content and social wise, with objectives and maybe fleet combat after people invite you to their factional warfare fleets (that even exist?), because there would be a war rght there to be fought and you are the new hero on the block!

Then one would move outside the war to neutral entities if one desired to be purelly a trader or care for its own private bussiness/wars.

Dot know why, but it makes sense to me....

[b]~ 10.058 ~

Free The Mittani[/b]

IGNATIUS HOOD
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#337 - 2012-04-18 22:03:30 UTC
It is certainly niche, but it could get some more mass appeal with some better marketing. I've never seriously considered other MMOs but this one caught my attention becuase of the content (Spaceships are cool) and its no holds barred open ended nature. Those got me playing. What kept me playing was the community and for that I was just lucky enough to get with a Corp that is light on bullsh!t

Getting people in the door isn't as hard as it may have been once I think the way Dust is built being that its complimentary to EVE in core concepts of fitting and skill training and it will be a huge boon to EVE over time. The key is keeping them here once the get in the door and CCP can do a couple things to make the game less frustrating in the dreaded 90-120 day window where the newness wears off and the grind starts

I think Eve University is great and all but I think CCP needs to run a NPC corp for new players (one for each race) and they need to compensate the seasoned players who want to put in time in these corps to help new players with ISK, LP, and Faction Standing. The community (a$$hats aside) is one of the games greatest strengths and it is not being used nearly as effectively as it could be.

Scams and Grief-play are part of EVE and though I personally abhorr both practices I do not want CCP attempt to restrict anymore then they already have.

These playstyles do have two large drawbacks however .

#1. Public perception of our community from outsiders is not positive. The rotten underbelly of EVE is bloody and as the saying goes if it bleeds, it leads. Alas this is what you hear about outside of EVE and its sensationalized to outlandish proportions by people who have never played the game or have played it and suck at it

#2. A fundemental and fundementally justifable lack of societal trust within the game. Literally anyone can screw you over in this game and as a result nearly every Corporation and every player (the smart ones anyway) trust nobody. This is bad in a cooperative game environment where the coolest stuff done in game is done in the company of others. This is the conunudrum that faces nearly everyone at some point in the game.

~so~ [:)

If we can find away to help the noobs better, work on our image some, and trust each other more EVE will become a more popular place. Until these things are done we'll be where we are now. Personally I don't know if where we are is such a bad place, but thats a CCP call. I just fly Spaceships
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."   --H.L. Mencken
Jessie-A Tassik
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#338 - 2012-04-19 03:04:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Jessie-A Tassik
Also, let's put on our big boy pants and ask the question:

Sure, time dilation is "neat". The more relevant question is whether 80% of Eve players get anything from it.

So does high-sec get anything from Time Dilation?

No?

Neither does Wormhole space either.

Basically, High-Sec is just paying for Null Sec toys. Only people who are cool with funding toys for other people and development of two other MMO's while being completely ignored themselves are going to be happy with the CCP "strategy".

Though when CCP turns it's attention to players besides super-alliances engaging in Blob warfare....

IT REMOVES CONTENT.

That is what the removal of skin-able animals.... I mean drones.... is. The whole region is going to become worthless and CCP Dev giggles.
Riddick Liddell
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#339 - 2012-04-19 03:15:42 UTC
Welsige wrote:
Malcanis wrote:
valerydarcy wrote:
Malcanis wrote:
Riddick Liddell wrote:
I'm dragging a Dark Blood Seeker behind my ship, aligned to a station. It's been like this for 23 minutes and counting.

Your salvaging attempt failed this time.

I can't imagine why people wouldn't want to do that day in, day out for 6 months untill they get thier SP up.

If you're not enjoying it, you don't have to do it.

Train salvaging lvl2?

Apparently he doesn't enjoy doing that.

Lol, I would take "queue this skill 5 times" than spam salvaging to get the skill up, as it is on every other mmo and give me tendinite.

Speaking of talking out of your ass, none of you shitforbrains know you need Salvage to 3 to even activate the salvager on an elite wreck? No, didn't think so. Carry on with your troll-fest.
EVE Stig
Doomheim
#340 - 2012-04-19 03:17:35 UTC
Marlona Sky wrote:
Rath Kelbore wrote:

SUPPOSEDLY the average EVE player is like 35+

"Some say that he is actually dead, but the Grim Reaper is too afraid to tell him." "Some say he is the 3rd member of Daft Punk and he did the vocals of "Technologic" song. All we know is,he's called EVE Stig"!