These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Warfare & Tactics

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

Policing a lowsec system

Author
Fredfredbug4
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#21 - 2012-04-11 21:57:09 UTC
Safe is a relative term in EVE. You are never truly secure or free from danger. No matter how hard you try to keep a system free of people you don't want, someone with more money and more manpower will show up and make things difficult.

The basic idea is to blow people up and do it enough to interfere with their daily routine. Camping the gates and killing the local pirates is good, but your not doing as much damage as you may think. The goal is to make it so that the only option a person has is to leave the system. Camping up the stations will work well. Even if you are sitting outside for 3 hours and not a single one of them decides to try and make a run for it you are slowing them down. There isn't much to do in one station and boredom will get the best of them.

Basically, it all comes down to a matter of who can camp out the other person. But you will never make a system truly secure. If you can get them to rage-quit out of the system for good then you win.

Watch_ Fred Fred Frederation_ and stop [u]cryptozoologist[/u]! Fight against the brutal genocide of fictional creatures across New Eden! Is that a metaphor? Probably not, but the fru-fru- people will sure love it!

Kolvin Trask
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#22 - 2012-04-12 04:15:44 UTC
I would suggest moving to wormhole space and planting a POS there.

A half dozen players can generally keep a class 3, 4, or 5 wormhole fairly secure, by closing off unwanted exits before doing sleeper ops or mining, and having a couple of caps built in the hole to discourage others from planting POSs in competition to your's.

They will need to be able to PvP as well as do ops or mine, as you will have to deal with folks sneaking in to take potshots.

Securing a lowsec system permanently is impossible.
Hidden Snake
Inglorious-Basterds
#23 - 2012-04-13 13:57:23 UTC
can I have the name of the system?
Kalli Brixzat
#24 - 2012-04-13 19:20:11 UTC
I remember some "merc" [read: pirate] corp making this kind of offer some years back [maybe 5+]. They were ~80 strong, in varying U.S. timezones. They'd charge some amount of isk per week in exchange for "securing" a low- or null-sec system, usually for un-allianced wanna be indy corps or conglomerates of independent miners/indys. They could do everything from providing belt security for active mining ops, to gate camps, to roams.

From what I heard, they actually got offers and did this steady for some months.

I heard from a guy that heard from a guy that corp decided to turn pure pirate mid-way through a contract and ganked every "customer" in system. Took off with a butt load of material and even some expensive ships. I'm guessing it's true...and there were tears shed and lolz to be had.
The RUS Hunter
Mr. Clean Corp..
#25 - 2012-04-14 13:13:22 UTC
Hidden Snake wrote:

You won't be able to do anything except hide in station, why bother?
Katrina Ghasha
24IC 1st Surplus Distribution Company
#26 - 2012-04-16 16:16:45 UTC
The RUS Hunter wrote:
Hidden Snake wrote:

You won't be able to do anything except hide in station, why bother?

Because he wants to move his freighter to this safe system.

http://caldari.eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=12409371
Matrix Operator
#27 - 2012-04-18 15:11:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Matrix Operator
What would be a more viable question is rather than "policing", how hard would it be to just to keep a POS alive? He would probably be willing to wait out some gankers. Is there a point where a DeathStar or Dickstar becomes so annoying to take down that no one wants to do it? What is that point? How much would it cost to set it up?

Also, there are some isolate pockets of small low sec islands (where the only way through is to go through high sec). Would they be easier to keep a POS alive in those low sec islands?
Elsebeth Rhiannon
Gradient
Electus Matari
#28 - 2012-04-18 20:18:25 UTC
There is no way to guarantee that you can keep a POS alive in low sec forever. Question is more like, what likelihood you can keep it alive long enough that it will pay itself back (or otherwise be useful enough for you). Towers are like ships: you only fly (set up) what you can afford to lose. Generally, if you set up the POS in a nice way, the likelihood of surviving long enough is good.

Keys to maximize your POS life is:
- know the area (it is impossible to say if a pocket is better than some other place; it depends on who lives there)
- talk nicely to nice locals
- know who you can afford to **** off in the area before pissing off anyone
- understand how strontium and reinforcement counters work
- have enough of a force or allies with force that if someone starts messing with you you can mess them back, and do not hide this from locals.

Setting a tower to a deathstar configuration can deter random gankers. It cannot deter someone who is determined to kill it.
Previous page12