These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

The Harsh Truth About Casual/Solo Players

Author
Caldari Acolyte
Shark Enterprises
#121 - 2012-04-18 11:40:37 UTC
The Harsh Truth About Casual/Solo Players is that their gonna play the game when they want, how they want. and their not gonna give a rat's a$$ what you or anybody else thinks about it P.
Serene Repose
#122 - 2012-04-18 14:31:12 UTC
Caldari Acolyte wrote:
The Harsh Truth About Casual/Solo Players is that their gonna play the game when they want, how they want. and their not gonna give a rat's a$$ what you or anybody else thinks about it P.

I woulda said that, but I remembered the guy's name isn't MasterMINDguy...and chaos ensued.

We must accommodate the idiocracy.

Jake Warbird
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#123 - 2012-04-18 14:34:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Jake Warbird
Srsly wtf is your problem,OPdude? Sand in your mangina?
e:And oh,btw... Not every casual player complains about stuff. They just wanna do their thing.
Ana Vyr
Vyral Technologies
#124 - 2012-04-18 14:51:37 UTC
I play solo, and I wouldn't put any of that crap in the game. I just don't have the playtime to play in a group without pissing them off because of lack of participation.
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#125 - 2012-04-18 14:54:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Krixtal Icefluxor
Nephilius wrote:
As far as I am concerned, the galaxy can burn around me and I won't even blink. I haven't found a reason to be concerned any further than my own happy little sphere of influence.

Yup. When you mind your own business and just play the game, even things like H'geddon just fade into the background.

NONE of the nonsense that gets yapped about ever really seems to make any difference in the long run anyway.

Mass Attack said it best last month: "CareBears don't care so much they don't come to your space, and they don't harass you, and indeed they don't even fight back. That is the ultimate don't care and there isn't anything you can do, short of dying of starvation, next to a pack of Cheetos, that will demostrate a don't care level beyond that of the CareBear."

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Grimpak
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#126 - 2012-04-18 14:59:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Grimpak
ways on how casual/solo players deal with people in a MMORPG:

1 - **** You, I'm doing my ****.

[img]http://eve-files.com/sig/grimpak[/img]

[quote]The more I know about humans, the more I love animals.[/quote] ain't that right

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#127 - 2012-04-18 15:02:06 UTC
Grimpak wrote:

All the editing in the world won't help your Sig File.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#128 - 2012-04-18 15:04:01 UTC
Boston Bradley wrote:
Playing EVE by yourself is like playing football/basketball with a 1 man team. It's unfair and not fun.

There is this thing. It's called a Subjective Opinion.

Grimpak
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#129 - 2012-04-18 15:06:08 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Grimpak wrote:

I blame CCP.

[quote]The more I know about humans, the more I love animals.[/quote] ain't that right

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#130 - 2012-04-18 15:09:01 UTC
Grimpak wrote:
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:

I blame CCP.

For realzz.

But you KNOW if they allow images again, the flood of ponies....omg......

Grimpak
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#131 - 2012-04-18 15:09:50 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Grimpak wrote:
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:

I blame CCP.

For realzz.

and that would be a bad thing... how?

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#132 - 2012-04-18 15:18:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Krixtal Icefluxor
Grimpak wrote:
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:

and that would be a bad thing... how?

Shocked

Dragon Outlaw
Rogue Fleet
#133 - 2012-04-18 15:37:12 UTC
Threads like these make me want to have an un-like button available. But maybe, some people would just want to reach new lows.
Twulf
Thunder Clap Industry
Militaires-Sans-Frontieres.
#134 - 2012-04-18 16:23:22 UTC
masternerdguy wrote:
You are choosing to play an MMOrpg by yourself, and are complaining about not having enough advantages?

Let's go down the list of things causal players tend to suggest.

• Small holdings - CCP, I don't want to join a real alliance so allow me and my 2 friends to claim a solar system while only protecting it part time.
  • More Concord - CCP, I don't want to lose my hulk because I mine afk and alone so please give it 300k EHP so I can continue to play solo.
  • Bigger Solo ISK Faucets - CCP, I don't have the time to invest in EVE so please make solo content that makes me still competitive with big teamplay content.
  • Fleet Balancing - CCP, I don't want to fly with friends so please make some weird mechanic that makes larger fleets less effective against my solo ship.
  • Buy/Trade/More SP - CCP, I don't play as much so I should train faster than others to stay competitive.
  • Reimbursement - CCP, I don't want to play with everyone else so you should reimburse my losses in PVP.
  • Dueling System - CCP, I don't want to play with everyone else so you should make me only able to PVP when I feel like it.

Stop suggesting game breaking things because you are unable/unwilling to invest the time or thought to play this game as a team, as it is intended to be.

Discuss.

Care to show me where Solo or Causal play is not allowed in EvE or any other MMORPG.
You do understand that MMO does not mean not solo play correct?

I agree they should not ask for thing to be made easier for solo players but you to suggest that solo play or causal play is not a valid form of gaming, then your just an idiot. WOW is more popular then EVE and makes more money then EVE could ever dream of and that is because of how easy Solo play is. So you are wrong from a business stand point.

CCP is a business, if making it more solo and causal friendly is going to make them more money, then they are going to do it because CCP is a business and business is about making money.
Dheeradj Nurgle
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#135 - 2012-04-18 16:59:03 UTC
As a (mostly) solo player, I actually agree with the OP....

Iy's a sandbox for Eden's sake.
Quade Warren
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#136 - 2012-04-18 17:18:45 UTC
Whatever, man. If you're interested in finding solutions to your proposed problems, start pointing out solutions. I sincerely doubt CCP is going to cater exclusively to the solo carebear. They're pretty smart people. Think of it this way... if this game has so much information that it is difficult to explain its complexity, how much brain power do you think it'd take to manage that information?

Also consider that forum posts are voluntary responses, which means you cannot rely on them as an example of the population of Eve. They're just a vocal subset.

Cull the weak, feed the strong and watch them eat each other. Seems like Eve in all aspects. I've never felt bitter about being at a disadvantage because I'm outnumbered. Rules of nature, man.

Except when I lost my fighters to a bug that CCP has still not responded to my petition about. Bastages.
Tau Prime
ZOO.
#137 - 2012-04-18 19:49:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Tau Prime
masternerdguy wrote:
You are choosing to play an MMOrpg by yourself, and are complaining about not having enough advantages?

Let's go down the list of things causal players tend to suggest.

• Small holdings - CCP, I don't want to join a real alliance so allow me and my 2 friends to claim a solar system while only protecting it part time.
  • More Concord - CCP, I don't want to lose my hulk because I mine afk and alone so please give it 300k EHP so I can continue to play solo.
  • Bigger Solo ISK Faucets - CCP, I don't have the time to invest in EVE so please make solo content that makes me still competitive with big teamplay content.
  • Fleet Balancing - CCP, I don't want to fly with friends so please make some weird mechanic that makes larger fleets less effective against my solo ship.
  • Buy/Trade/More SP - CCP, I don't play as much so I should train faster than others to stay competitive.
  • Reimbursement - CCP, I don't want to play with everyone else so you should reimburse my losses in PVP.
  • Dueling System - CCP, I don't want to play with everyone else so you should make me only able to PVP when I feel like it.

Stop suggesting game breaking things because you are unable/unwilling to invest the time or thought to play this game as a team, as it is intended to be.

Discuss.

This is the worst assumption I've read on the forums so far. I've played in big alliances for several years off and on. I like my casual solo game better. I don't have to listen to anyone's crap or dodge epeens. Please inform us as to how you arrived at the conclusion that all 'x' players do 'x' and act like 'x'. I've never even thought about any of these complaints that you are accusing a rather large segment of the player base of.

You know that all Star Bellied Sneetches are way better than just Sneetches because regular Sneetches don't like stars. . .

Thread is worthless offensive dribble that serves no purpose other than to complain. Roll
Bagrat Skalski
Koinuun Kotei
#138 - 2012-04-18 21:04:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Bagrat Skalski
Mining ships are too weak, give every mining barge some hp in hull. Today T1 fitted destroyer can destroy them (tech1), thats too harsh. Make miner noobs protected just a little, who the hell wants to be reapetedly ganked by 1 destroyer, loosing milions of isc in strip miners and rigs just for some noob in destroyer, who is trigger happy.
Nephilius
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#139 - 2012-04-18 22:06:56 UTC
Boston Bradley wrote:
Stop being a loner.

1. Give me a GOOD reason to.

2. Make me.

Roll
"If."
Brid Mindelan
Mindelan McLeod and Associates
#140 - 2012-04-18 23:30:30 UTC
i play casually, and for the most part, i play solo. on occassion i'll go out with some friends and shoot at other people, and either win or lose. i know quite a few people in the game, and it would be relatively easy for me to get into one of the major nullsec powerblocs and experience 'that' type of gameplay again

I used to have lots of time to play the game, and i took a perverse pleasure in blowing people up, seeing how much isk damage i could do in a 24 hour period, got my kill/loss ratio to a reasonably good level. then, as innevitably happens, i got a job, got married, and found i no longer had the time to play 'that stupid spaceship game' (as my missus delicately puts it) for 6-8 hours a day

So, i cancelled the sub on my PvP toon, took my isk, and started manufacturing. It was an aspect of the game i had not really delved into, and i was of the opinion only socially incompetent risk averse morons actually did it. However, 12 months, 1 child, and 50 billion isk later, i can safely say, in my opinion, manufacturing, playing the markets and amassing what by any definition is a small fortune, carebears aren't morons. and casual carebears even less so

sure, mining is boring, missions get tiresome after 15 minutes, incursions are no fun either. what amuses me is that you (random nullsec entity) will sell your moon goo to me for what you think is a competitive price, and i will sell it back to you after turning it into something useful, and pocket a good chunk of isk. you will then get it blown up, and buy another from me, fit it with my guns, and fire my ammunition, every time you die, you make me richer

sure, it would be nice if mining ships (hulks) were a bit tougher, industrials weren't made out of paper, and those nasty suicide gankers would just leave me alone, but while they may think ganking a freighter with 1 bill plus in the hold is a big deal, for me it would be a minor inconvenience, a little blip affecting my bottom line. I'm not alone when it comes down to it.
Suicide ganking, while inconvenient (and currenty there being quite literally no defence against it) is something that happens to only a small minority of players, and has very little impact on the transport of goods

I brave losec in a jump freighter when there is a firesale after alliance XY or Z has cascade failed, and buy up ships and modules on the cheap (suckers) i will routinely sell ships in 'hotzones' in losec, or brave NPC nullsec to make a quick buck, but the majority of my time is spent, quite literally, docked up doing not much. setting invention or copy jobs, filling manufacturing slots and PI takes at most 10-15 minutes a day, i run twice weekly runs to jita to buy/sell stuff. once or twice a month i will set buy orders for minerals to save me having to mine them myself When all is said and done, i can personally supply large corps or small alliances with all the materials they need to wage war, lay claim to moons, set up POCO's, and i can do it, solo.

yes, i'm a war proffiteer, yes i probably have more isk than most of you, and yes, absolutely, i'm a casual solo carebear