These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Warfare & Tactics

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

Countering Tier 3 gangs

Author
Cherry Nobyl
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#21 - 2012-04-16 08:27:09 UTC
Ab fit assault frigs and a good warpin. spread points/scrams. Their losses will far outstrip yours.
Daniel L'Siata
Phoenix Naval Operations
Phoenix Naval Systems
#22 - 2012-04-16 09:09:56 UTC
Neuts. Hurricanes, Curses, Bhaalgorns, Pilgrims, Legions, Tempests will all ruin a T3's day. Remember, T3's have BS level tanks and DPS at Cruiser speed with nowhere near the capacitor of a BS.

If you have a numerical advantage, simply being able to project damage effectively (Rapier/Drake combination for example) will usually drive them off at the very least.
churrros
afwewafe
#23 - 2012-04-16 10:11:45 UTC
Daniel L'Siata wrote:
Neuts. Hurricanes, Curses, Bhaalgorns, Pilgrims, Legions, Tempests will all ruin a T3's day. Remember, T3's have BS level tanks and DPS at Cruiser speed with nowhere near the capacitor of a BS.

If you have a numerical advantage, simply being able to project damage effectively (Rapier/Drake combination for example) will usually drive them off at the very least.

read the thread again.
Hidden Snake
Inglorious-Basterds
#24 - 2012-04-16 10:13:55 UTC
as with many things in eve ...depends on critical mass ... u can kill 3 of them with 3 assault frigs. but it is hard to kill 30 of them with 30 frigs.

Or u can bomb them ... however that bomb run of goon wafe was very very very lyucky.
Perihelion Olenard
#25 - 2012-04-16 10:46:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Perihelion Olenard
Mister Kwong wrote:
I see these running around alot now. What is a good counter to these types of gangs?

Just throw a bunch of drakes at them. They are the ultimate win machines, right? Blink

Anyway, even though it's a pretty unpopular ship, a cerberus could put a lot of pressure on an honor-tanked tier 3 BC trying to snipe your gang. Either the guy warps off or he dies quick.
FloppieTheBanjoClown
Arcana Imperii Ltd.
#26 - 2012-04-16 14:35:06 UTC  |  Edited by: FloppieTheBanjoClown
Gerrick Palivorn wrote:
4 bombers and a good warp in...

This. I saw a battlereport the other day where six goon bombers wiped a fleet of them. It must have been an epic bombing run to watch.

edit: yeah, that one that got posted already.

Founding member of the Belligerent Undesirables movement.

Tabernack en Chasteaux
Phoibe Enterprises
#27 - 2012-04-16 15:51:12 UTC
Kill everything... kill everything...
Bomb the living bejeepers out of those forces.
Deen Wispa
Sheriff.
Caldari Tactical Operations Command
#28 - 2012-04-16 16:17:35 UTC
At what distance does an inty need to be in for it to be killed by a Tier 3? Will the mwd increase its sig radius large enough for it be alphaed by a Tier 3? I'm just wondering if the inty can get into range with multiple snipers on the field

High Five. Yeah! C'est La Eve .

Tabernack en Chasteaux
Phoibe Enterprises
#29 - 2012-04-16 17:13:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Tabernack en Chasteaux
Deen Wispa wrote:
At what distance does an inty need to be in for it to be killed by a Tier 3?

It depends. The range and tracking are different for each of the T3s -- your approach to a rail Naga will be much different than a blaster Talos. If you're in range of the guns and your transversal isn't high enough, you're gonna have a bad time.

Deen Wispa wrote:
Will the mwd increase its sig radius large enough for it be alphaed by a Tier 3?

It depends. If you burn straight at them, you're gonna have a bad time. However, since interceptors all get a reduction to their MWD sig bloom, you should be OK if you maintain a decent transversal.

Deen Wispa wrote:
I'm just wondering if the inty can get into range with multiple snipers on the field

It depends. It shouldn't be hard to close on a single ship, but the more ships you're up against, the harder it's going to be to keep your transversal up on all of them. Sooner or later an obvservant and skilled pilot will be able to get a good shot off while you are focused elsewhere.

It's worth noting that a solo sniper will be aligned out if they have any brains at all, and will peace out as soon as you get anywhere near them.
Katalci
Kismesis
#30 - 2012-04-16 20:04:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Katalci
If you use inties then you're going to die in one shot to the Muninn/Zealot support.

Assuming you mean a sniper gang, probe them out, bubble them down, and own them all at close range. Don't let your Rapiers and Lachesises die or you'll have to leave.

If you don't feel like that, 100MN Tengus are a hard counter.
drdxie
#31 - 2012-04-17 00:12:04 UTC
[quote=Cherry Nobyl]Ab fit assault frigs and a good warpin. spread points/scrams. Their losses will far outstrip yours.[/quote

That ain't going to work on a smart T3 fleet with a good FC. Buy the time the AF land, the T3 have warped to range on a bm that puts them 50km away.. bye bye AF's.. OH.. did I just reveal a tactic.. [:=d

Caldari Loving needed.. https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1608277&#post1608277

Deen Wispa
Sheriff.
Caldari Tactical Operations Command
#32 - 2012-04-17 18:44:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Deen Wispa
Eternum Praetorian wrote:
The counter is the same as it always has been, for every class of ship since the beginning of EVE...

Bring the exact same stuff to the fight and trade ships, and have fun while doing it. You don't ask "how do I counter a RR battleship fleet" you just bring another one to the field. Get into some Tier 3's, fly strait towards them and start calling primaries. You strait up win only if you have logistics and they don't.

I wouldn't be so confident about your statement. Here's why.

High Five. Yeah! C'est La Eve .

hercules fitch
Fitch Foundries
#33 - 2012-04-17 20:39:06 UTC
I find Navy Cruisers, ESPECIALLY with Claymore or Loki support, to be quite effective in chasing them down. Of course, smart tier 3s will still warp out before you can get point on them, but I've been messing around with a Navy Exeq for lulz lately, and they go DAMN fast, and can keep up with SFIs (or faster) that are not also being boosted. With the sig reduction, speed, and point range (41km heated long point if you have that fit), you can maybe get lucky and catch them off guard since they don't expect to get pointed for another 10km :)

If it doesn't sound like a good idea, you need moar booze!

cyndrogen
The Greatest Corp in the Universe
#34 - 2012-04-18 06:58:16 UTC
Mister Kwong wrote:
I see these running around alot now. What is a good counter to these types of gangs?

Speed, no really, they are mainly turret ships, slow trackers. Fly fast and get under their guns.

Every day in every way I improve my skills and get better.

Tinu Moorhsum
Random Events
#35 - 2012-04-18 12:26:15 UTC
cyndrogen wrote:
Mister Kwong wrote:

Speed, no really, they are mainly turret ships, slow trackers. Fly fast and get under their guns.

Getting on top of them isn't easy if the FC has any clue what he's doing. They're fairly quick and Tier-3 gangs are *always* fully aligned to something and they'll warp away if it looks like something might get close. They often use tow-lines as well to warp around on grid so just flying fast and trying to catch up with them is like trying to catch a fly with your fingers. Tier-3 fleets are all about "hit and run" and they are very dynamic in how they move around. Also because they're not meant to "hold their ground" they often also have the Achilles heel that they lack much in the way of logi or ECM support....so any one of them you can separate from the heard will die.

FC-ing Tier-3 fleets is a little like walking on the edge of a knife tbh. It takes a lot of concentration and good situational awareness to make sure they enemy can't get a bubble on you. Getting caught in a bubble, even for a few seconds, someone will get tackled and die.

Countering Tier-3 fleets is really a question of hanging around nearby in cloaky ships and watching what they do until they make a mistake like staying aligned to the same celestial for too long (makes it possible to preposition a bubbler and then drive them into it like buffalo off of a cliff) or if the FC makes the fatal mistake of standing still (which is probably how goons blapped that whole fleet that someone linked).

Getting them with drakes or hacs is possible too if you can manage to get in a situation where you're forcing them to cross jump your fleet on a gate where you can kill a few of them before they pull range or (ideally) if you can somehow convince them to jump into you. Most FC's from Tier-3 gangs aren't that stupid though. Although it does happen, like in this fight between -A- and INIT. http://kb.the-initiative.com/index.php/kill_related/73759/
Lost Greybeard
Drunken Yordles
#36 - 2012-04-18 18:39:37 UTC
I was going to say four or five bombers with bombs of the same type, but I see that Goons apparently beat me to it in a manner much more impressive than anything I could post even if I did engage in killboard nonsense. Sheesh.
Previous page12