These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Titan changes - update

First post First post First post
Author
Two step
Aperture Harmonics
#861 - 2012-04-16 18:18:02 UTC
Retar Aveymone wrote:
Two step wrote:

You statement about painting would be true, if you could paint stuff in siege/triage. The issue is that a Halo'd up triage carrier is now really, really hard to kill with a dread, even with some cap pressure. A possible solution to this is to add a sig radius penalty to triage/siege, which seems like it would be a reasonable thing to do.

Yeah but with all this crap trying to patch this system, it seems clear that just going with unmodified sig radius is the thing to do.

Unmodified sig will just make people yell more. I should always have tradeoffs for something that has become as OP as passive shield tanking, and making people unable to impact the damage reduction amount is a bad thing in a game that is supposed to be about choices.

CSM 7 Secretary CSM 6 Alternate Delegate @two_step_eve on Twitter My Blog

Bubanni
Corus Aerospace
#862 - 2012-04-16 18:19:30 UTC
Greyscale, just make sure you look at lowest possible signature of capital ships... :) before setting the damage reduction in stone as people will no doubt start to use such to reduce damage alot vs titans (and dreads?)

It's possible to get a Nidhoggur down to 783m signature with a Ragnarok + loki booster, + high grade halo implants and a strong x-strinct booster :)

With your current idea for the damage reduction values, what would the % be vs 783 signature?

Supercap nerf - change ewar immunity https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=194759 Module activation delay! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1180934

Raivi
State War Academy
Caldari State
#863 - 2012-04-16 18:21:10 UTC
Two step wrote:
A possible solution to this is to add a sig radius penalty to triage/siege, which seems like it would be a reasonable thing to do.

That is a good idea.
Retar Aveymone
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#864 - 2012-04-16 18:21:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Retar Aveymone
Two step wrote:

Unmodified sig will just make people yell more. I should always have tradeoffs for something that has become as OP as passive shield tanking, and making people unable to impact the damage reduction amount is a bad thing in a game that is supposed to be about choices.

There's no good reason to think that shields should be balanced based on titan blapping: if it's an issue it needs a much more systemic fix than "well, you might get blapped by a titan". More importantly though, the shield sig radius effect simply isn't that big: it's not really harder to blap abbadons than it is to blap maels with this fix. The key is getting target painters out so we're not comparing target painted battleships to carriers.
TheGunslinger42
All Web Investigations
#865 - 2012-04-16 18:23:00 UTC
CCP Greyscale wrote:
W-space stuff specifically is an interesting case, but it's something I think I'd prefer to see develop before taking any specific action against it. Those effects are supposed to make life interesting, and they're not balanced towards any specific outcome. If it starts being actually problematic we can look into it.

Wouldn't it make more sense to look into it and consider how it'll change things BEFORE rolling out the changes? If theres a chance of it cocking something up, better to hold off and have a bit of a think about it rather than rushing ahead then having to go back and re-fix something in 12 months time.
Ampoliros
Aperture Harmonics
#866 - 2012-04-16 18:24:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Ampoliros
pmchem wrote:
Yeah, but if he's in triage I figured neuting was the way to go anyway while forcing him to keep running reps via subcap DPS and have dreads shoot other caps on grid vOv. Then blap when he exits triage. This change could actually make cap warfare significantly more important, which is a good thing.

Cap warfare is still important as-is. The problem is that dreads (which are intended as anti-capital platforms) would become not very good at being anti-capital platforms against properly fitted capitals. That's a problem.

Two step wrote:

You statement about painting would be true, if you could paint stuff in siege/triage. The issue is that a Halo'd up triage carrier is now really, really hard to kill with a dread, even with some cap pressure. A possible solution to this is to add a sig radius penalty to triage/siege, which seems like it would be a reasonable thing to do.

Would be just patching the holes in the dam tbh, and could come with unintended consequences down the line if more balancing work is done.

edit: by which i mean that if CCP ever plan to add more mods that depend on large sig radius in the future, eg anti-supercap-type modules, you could wind up with triage and siege being a huge sore thumb, balancewise.
Two step
Aperture Harmonics
#867 - 2012-04-16 18:24:14 UTC
Hathrul wrote:

Two step wrote:

so the best idea is to first create a nerf for a ship that effects a ship that didnt need a nerf, in fact actually got boosted at the last patch. and when the nerf isnt working out as originally thought we change even more to make it work anyway, even though the original reason for the nerf had nothing to do with the ship that is getting hit by the nerfbat, but now gets some compensation to level out a problem that was kind of collateral to begin with

can i just mention this might not be the most efficient way of doing things.

want to nerf titan tracking? do so. but ive never heard anyone say dreadnaughts are overpowered.

I will happily say that dreads shouldn't be able to hit small stuff as well, which is something that I *have* been saying for some time now. The best counter to someone jumping a fleet of subcaps into my home wormhole should not be a bunch of webbing lokis and dreads.

A sig radius bump while in siege/triage wouldn't be a nerf at all from the the current mechanics, it would mostly preserve the status quo among the capitals. The nerf would be restricted to a dread's ability to alpha subcaps off the field, which is nothing but a good thing. It would also require subcap support for using dreads in PVE, which is also a very good thing.

Bubanni
Corus Aerospace
#868 - 2012-04-16 18:24:41 UTC
Bubanni wrote:
Greyscale, just make sure you look at lowest possible signature of capital ships... :) before setting the damage reduction in stone as people will no doubt start to use such to reduce damage alot vs titans (and dreads?)

It's possible to get a Nidhoggur down to 783m signature with a Ragnarok + loki booster, + high grade halo implants and a strong x-strinct booster :)

With your current idea for the damage reduction values, what would the % be vs 783 signature?

It should be noted though that after looking at some more values, and considering the counter with some target painters... 4xTarget Painter II from a ship like a rapier (tp bonused) that same dread would reach 2548 m signature

Supercap nerf - change ewar immunity https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=194759 Module activation delay! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1180934

Retar Aveymone
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#869 - 2012-04-16 18:27:00 UTC
Bubanni wrote:

It should be noted though that after looking at some more values, and considering the counter with some target painters... 4xTarget Painter II from a ship like a rapier (tp bonused) that same dread would reach 2548 m signature

you can't paint things in siege

Using modified sig radius is just forcing you into more and more changes you don't want to make: simply do it based on unmodified, slap an appropriate rate damage diminishes, and call it a day, leaving balancing shield tanks and MWDS for another day
Two step
Aperture Harmonics
#870 - 2012-04-16 18:28:15 UTC
Retar Aveymone wrote:
Bubanni wrote:

you can't paint things in siege

Using modified sig radius is just forcing you into more and more changes you don't want to make: simply do it based on unmodified, slap an appropriate rate damage diminishes, and call it a day, leaving balancing shield tanks and MWDS for another day

Dude, we get it, you like to fly MWD drakes and Maels.

Retar Aveymone
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#871 - 2012-04-16 18:30:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Retar Aveymone
Two step wrote:

Dude, we get it, you like to fly MWD drakes and Maels.

I don't think you understood my earlier points, and the math backs me up: using modified means you blap armor battleships and dictors. I couldn't care less if shields affected it because it's a relatively minor difference. You need to actually do the math and realize it's not shields that matter, it's target painters (and in the case of dictors, MWDs). Using modified sig because it balances shields is a dumb way to balance shields, and causes significant problems for the small amounts of nerfing shields you get.
Fatyn
AQUILA INC
Verge of Collapse
#872 - 2012-04-16 18:40:35 UTC
Looks like the worthy attempt to grapple with the titans vs subcaps problem is about to screw the roles the dreadnought is starting to develop in interesting wormhole PVP and potentially other k-space fleet fights.

I hate the idea of nerfing dreads so hard that they have no role at all vs subcaps. The natural prey of many ships in the game is one size tier down - I want to be able to slug it out in a dread fleet vs a fleet of enemy battleships. By treating the dreadnought class with the same broad brush as the titan class you are further marginalising dreadnoughts just when they may be starting to come out of the far, far wilderness.

Simple solution, as a couple of people have suggested above: Do whatever you want to XL weapons in order to balance titans to your satisfaction, then modify the bonuses to siege modules to keep dreads working as they are right now. **** out of siege dreads, they have never been able to do anything anyway and are an irrelevance.
Creat Posudol
German Oldies
#873 - 2012-04-16 18:40:40 UTC
First of all, please don't use unmodified sig. There are penalties to sig in the game for a reason, even if it isn't as big a penalty as it possibly should be. There still should be some effect to it. Also keep in mind that with squared-over-squared damage scaling (like it is proposed at the moment) the effect would be bigger than in all other cases. Yes, it's still kind of a niche as far as penalties go, but it should still be a penalty nonetheless.

As for the potential/feared Dreads-not-hitting-caps problem:
Has anyone considered adding a role "bonus" to titans increasing the sig res of their guns by say 50%? 100%? This would be a pretty easy adjustment to make I assume?
I would still keep the now proposed changes, but dial them back a little. This would allow for at least some differentiation between dreads and titans. With an additional small sig bump to carriers/dreads themselves the loopholes of dreads not hitting caps should be closed, but titans still wouldn't blap anything subcap.
Hathrul
NED-Clan
Goonswarm Federation
#874 - 2012-04-16 18:48:35 UTC
Fatyn wrote:

Simple solution, as a couple of people have suggested above: Do whatever you want to XL weapons in order to balance titans to your satisfaction, then modify the bonuses to siege modules to keep dreads working as they are right now. **** out of siege dreads, they have never been able to do anything anyway and are an irrelevance.

i like this one. if you think dreads are a situational problem, approach them as being a problem in certain situation and act accordingly.
corbexx
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#875 - 2012-04-16 18:52:25 UTC
Fatyn wrote:

and the balance is restored again +1
Ampoliros
Aperture Harmonics
#876 - 2012-04-16 19:02:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Ampoliros
Two step wrote:
I will happily say that dreads shouldn't be able to hit small stuff as well, which is something that I *have* been saying for some time now. The best counter to someone jumping a fleet of subcaps into my home wormhole should not be a bunch of webbing lokis and dreads.

A sig radius bump while in siege/triage wouldn't be a nerf at all from the the current mechanics, it would mostly preserve the status quo among the capitals. The nerf would be restricted to a dread's ability to alpha subcaps off the field, which is nothing but a good thing. It would also require subcap support for using dreads in PVE, which is also a very good thing.

I think he does have a point here two - stated a bit better than i did - that you're basically trying to patch up the worst case scenarios of proposed changes rather than accepting that the scaling is a bit bad and should be tweaked.

I still rather like my idea, the values can be tweaked around in the future if we wind up wanting to nerf dread blapping anyway and it lets greyscale move on with his titan changes without messing up dreads for right now. v0v

edit: forum ate my brackets.
Ganthrithor
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#877 - 2012-04-16 19:55:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Ganthrithor
Just bump the sig radii of all capitals up. Easy solution to the problem of sig-tanking caps.

I hate hate hate hate HATE the idea of damage scaling (seriously I can't overstate how much of a turnoff it is), but as long as this is a temporary fix I guess doing ~*something*~ is better than leaving the situation as-is for a few more months.

In the long term though, consider doing the whole "multiple flavors of XL gun" thing-- some that do low damage with lower sigs and better tracking, some that do massive damage with **** sig / tracking. Let dreads and titans fit for a particular role (doing the DPS of a couple of BS to subcaps or doing capital-level DPS to other caps / structures).

e: re: diversifying capital guns-- I really don't see why this hasn't been done already. Most other turret sizes have multiple gun types available (for example, medium ACs come in dual-180mm, 220mm, and 425mm flavors) that vary in damage output and tracking capabilities. Why not give dread / titan pilots a similar set of fitting options? Obviously the differences between flavors would have to be much greater than the differences between medium ACs, but it fits the general pattern that's already been established for smaller guns.
MisterAl tt1
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#878 - 2012-04-16 20:11:17 UTC
In my country people say: "There are no things more eternal, then temporary".
Psihius
Perkone
Caldari State
#879 - 2012-04-16 20:38:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Psihius
Two step wrote:
Hathrul wrote:

Two step wrote:

so the best idea is to first create a nerf for a ship that effects a ship that didnt need a nerf, in fact actually got boosted at the last patch. and when the nerf isnt working out as originally thought we change even more to make it work anyway, even though the original reason for the nerf had nothing to do with the ship that is getting hit by the nerfbat, but now gets some compensation to level out a problem that was kind of collateral to begin with

can i just mention this might not be the most efficient way of doing things.

want to nerf titan tracking? do so. but ive never heard anyone say dreadnaughts are overpowered.

As far as I see there is only one dread that really hits things up-close and personal - Moros. I fly a perfect tracking-wise Revelation with 2 tracking computers and 2 tracking enhancer + a middle booster for tracking, and I pretty much fail to hit anything closer than 15 km until it's webbed to hell (~25-15 m/sec) and painted with 4-6 painters so it's signature rockets through 1000m. And even when I can hit something solidly only after 20-25 km when angular velocity can really drop to low values. It's required to bring at least 6-8 friends along to really make the difference.

And why is it bad that if someone brings 10 ships with webs and painters is it bad for dreadnoughts to hit the target? Right now it is possible because signature is not affecting damage formula much. If it would do that like tracking does, them hitting even painted (with 6 reaper level 5 painters) and webbed to hell Loki would be a pain cause it's signature would go only up-to 450 m, that means dread can deliver only 45% of it's potential damage if scale is linear and much less if it's exponential. And if that ship gets close on low orbit - dread will have hard time hitting because of tracking.

As PvE wise for WH - the only real broken thing is the wall sleeper hunting that allows people to do it solo. There was an idea from fanfest to add a sleeper dread or something like that to counter it - that would be the way to go, make sites more chalanging. Not nerfing dreads to oblivion, because there is a difference in how you live. That's one thing to live in numbers like 200 people in one system when you sweep in 40 T3 and clear the sites like hurricane anytime and other is when you live in small numbers and you really have to wait for people half the evening to start something going (I personally despise the wall sleeper blaping, and where we live it's out of the question and we hope it gets changed so one day sleepers get to those dreads on the wall and nuke them flat).
Efraya
V0LTA
WE FORM V0LTA
#880 - 2012-04-16 20:52:44 UTC
Why not just make XXL guns for titans, then you don't have to **** about with dreads and you can isolate any changes you make to titans only. Also, it's silly to have XL guns on a ships which is so many times bigger than dreads. They deserve XXL guns.

[b][center]WSpace; Dead space.[/center] [center]Lady Spank for forum mod[/center][/b]