These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Market Discussions

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

Market Orders a zombie horse, and more.

Author
Kawaai
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#21 - 2012-04-14 12:19:04 UTC
This, as a change, would make trade a terrible thing to do indeed.
Fair enough for some the order cap might be a pain and yes some might make a larger profit from limitless investment opportunities. Yet I find it annoying enough I can not change an order for 5 minutes after a change has been made.
Imagine you can only place 300 odd buy orders, sell orders and changes a day. This would make trading even more tedious as you consider it to be to date.

Really I would see no good coming of a change like this. Perhaps for those who speculate in only one type of asset, yet even for them this might result in a pain when their 'charges' are done for.

I can also find myself in those stating that no other profession (with perhaps the exception of R&D missions) is there such limitation to be found. It would take a fundamental aspect and completely turn it up side down for the sake of a minor frustration.
Caleb Ayrania
TarNec
Invisible Exchequer
#22 - 2012-04-14 13:03:55 UTC
Kawaai wrote:
This, as a change, would make trade a terrible thing to do indeed.
Fair enough for some the order cap might be a pain and yes some might make a larger profit from limitless investment opportunities. Yet I find it annoying enough I can not change an order for 5 minutes after a change has been made.
Imagine you can only place 300 odd buy orders, sell orders and changes a day. This would make trading even more tedious as you consider it to be to date.

Really I would see no good coming of a change like this. Perhaps for those who speculate in only one type of asset, yet even for them this might result in a pain when their 'charges' are done for.

I can also find myself in those stating that no other profession (with perhaps the exception of R&D missions) is there such limitation to be found. It would take a fundamental aspect and completely turn it up side down for the sake of a minor frustration.

Again the turning things upside down is exactly the point. Stockpiles need to move out to locations from a market perspective. What we have atm is stockpiles at a central location. That is reverse from what market should do. Jita should mainly cater to buyers and resale should be spread. The only reason for this is that its impossible to spread the stocks.

Your assumptions are based within the existing model. To see why it is flawed compare it to real life markets and consider why a change would be a benefit. The prices on markets would still benefit from the natural hub competition and locations like Jita would still be the place to reach price equilibrium first. The benefit from removal of the order and contract cap would be that the items could be redistributed out from the hubs way faster and easier. So instead of 500 frigs in Jita, you would get 10 times 50 frigs around the forge.

As mentioned to limitation to changes should ideally be controlled by price of brokers, but a modifications per day is just simpler. You would not be using these when buying from market of quickselling to market, it would only be relevant when you entered the competition on the markets. So to the average player it would not matter at all. This suggestion is only about competition and how to improve distribution of universal assets, both items and isk.

Its strange that so many EVE players keep defending this limitation, since its one of the key reasons for so many small irritations. Like moving around so much for the fair prices and buying items you need. We have a strongly centralized market and hub dependance, because there is no alternative. Players have centered around hubs not only because of natural network developments, but because ccp brought in changes that created the current status quo.

Market Nerf and Highway NErf was key to a lot of the strong centralized markets we have today.

Tanith YarnDemon
Hypernet Inc.
Umbrella Chemical Inc
#23 - 2012-04-14 13:15:46 UTC
Caleb Ayrania wrote:

Not sure if your intentionally trying to confuse the topic.. Its really rather simple..
We had a couple of hours long talk about this in game. It's not simple, and from the comments in channel very few agree.

Quote:

The reason for removing the market order cap is to make it possible to spread the markets wider.

As mentioned in game, the cap is really just a parenthesis. If there is enough incentive to manage the orders, I dare say every single rational trader will make a new character and have that control said market. A plex for 500m covers 915 additional orders, which if fully used boils down to 546k isk per order and month. If that is unachievable I dare say it's not a market worth running.
Quote:

In regards to broker fees they should be reflecting supply and demand. This would mean the price would be as follows.

In Jita base cost would be high and percentage low. Resulting in bigger volumes traded and bigger increments on bids.

Out in the outskirts. base cost would be lower and percentages higher, resulting in smaller volumes and better margins.

This is all about the width of the Donchian channels. In highly efficient markets this would become very narrow and cost to compete would be equivalent high. In less active markets the Donchian channel should widen out and give better margins, reflecting the reduced volume and activity of trade.

These gradual differences in markets are not very visible in EVE atm because we have single outlet and centralized trade. There is rather poor seeding of items outside hubs.

The reasons are the artificial limitation to orders and a tendency to want to handle most things in house internally. This is all fine and there is nothing wrong with doing things yourself, but you should do so at a cost. In an efficient market prices would naturally get impacted by all the factors of price. Mainly oppertunity cost on the individual client.

We really need the market opened more in this way, because the changes coming will need a lot more price efficiency, or the increased complexity to the game will slow the pace of gameplay even more.

Hubs exist for a reason, it makes life for both sellers and buyers easier. Intentionally and artificially increasing friction will in no way make the game faster. After hours of circular discussions I still see no relation between a total number of orders per character cap and a centralized market, especially non that would be alleviated by changing the number of orders cap into a number of changes per day cap. I'm furthermore sceptical to the suggested tendency to "ant to handle most things in house internally", not to mention I don't see how it is relevant to it's direct context.

Imposing extra fees on a market will indeed encourage(read: force) alternatives, however it's more than likely a large portion will just end up off the public market instead making the whole effort contraproductive to your own ambitions.

Quote:

We can not "afford" to destroy more assets and take hits if we cant generate them back at the similar pace.

There are plenty of assets in game, but they tend to be in passives and not available on public markets. This can only change with a boost to market speed.

There's an infinite supply of goods into eve. (Well technically t2 markets are limited in several ways, t3 and t1 are only limited by manufacturing bandwidth) There's nothing wrong what so ever with the value of minerals increasing, in fact it's the only way for things to balance themselves out. Regardless of how efficient the market is, the passive stock is nothing but a buffer, supply is directly controlled by mineralprices.
Quote:

If we get market competition moved and spread out wider it will mean more game activity spread over the whole EVE universe. We can not expect that to happen without a bit of improvement to economy and logistics, and the two are closely linked.

Yet again, I disagree. The reason we have some sort of hub in pretty much every region is that markets show a region at a time. If they were global we would most likely only have one hub throughout empire and then sporadic assimilations of products in key systems - no longer based on history and culture as much as on what the system has to offer.

The only way to artificially cause decentralization(which I again see no reason what so ever to) is to cripple logistics. If it's harder to move things, it gets more expensive, if it gets more expensive there's more isk in establishing new markets. However, given that it's still a game, where trading isn't the focus, there's no reason at all to remove any hubs what so ever.

Players are not limited to one character per player, meaning EFFORT is the key resource, not number of orders. If there is enough profit in a system to warrant a new market, traders WILL establish a market there, in many cases even if there's not.

TL;DR: No point in replacing one cap with another, the intended goals are not objectively good, it's just in taste of op. Artificial constraints are terrible for a sandbox in 99 cases out of 100, this is the 99%.
Caleb Ayrania
TarNec
Invisible Exchequer
#24 - 2012-04-14 15:01:49 UTC
A lot of self contradiction going on here. Removing or switching the mechanics to infinite orders and limited modifications is going to liberalize the market. Since that would make it possible to strategically seed markets. The current limitation of outstanding orders promotes centralization. Also current state is beneficial to bots and to the alt model.

The servers would be less strained by a bigger db and less procedure calls. Every time traders play patty cake with microbids the servers are strained. Spreading the load out more in time and space would benefit all.

The claim that a feature restrain can be worked around with alts is usually a good indicator that the mechanic is broken.

CCP should not have mechanics ingame that increase their sales of accounts. You should be able to get the same gameplay mechnically with one character as with several. The only exception to that rule would be specialization. When you are specialized with a trade charecter no barriers should remain. Except maybe territorial limits.

I was around when these limits were not there, and I can say the markets were a lot more fun and stable. The holes and distribution issues we see now was reduced.

The result of no caps on market and contract orders would motivate players to put all their assets to work. Items would be on market or in contracts either auctions or couriers. Also isk would be bound up more in escrow for potential investment. This whole change would bring a lot of new gameplay in every way. Improved options for corp trading etc. Here I refer to the added option of using standing to limit on contracts, so alliance and affiliate exchanges would be possible. Add to that the increased services that could arise from secondary markets in the form of futures trading, IPOs and even banking. Since more interaction and markets would be measurable directly using API. The numbers from NAV and the expected incomes would be more stable.

I will still revert to the argument of Real Life markets. A limitation of this current kind is disruptive at best and destructive to motivation. I am merely trying to point to some potential changes that would improve the gameplay for all except maybe bots and groups that dont like more competition.
Johnny Frecko
Violence is the Answer
Wormhole Society
#25 - 2012-04-14 21:06:10 UTC
to OP.

your problem is the bots, and how they can less benefit from the game

simple.
kill the bots, CCP knows how, and did so drasticly, that's some of the market jitter.

Do you have any other points that do not concern botters?
All your solutions seem to perfect YOUR PERSONAL play-style.
Some people do honestly enjoy the 0.01 game. Why? No clue, Why do people like griefing? Beats me.

if you could really list all the problems the CURRENT system has(and no, "boring" is not a problem).

Correct me if i'm wrong.

1)Markets almost have no margins because everyone .1 isk
2)people outbid you constantly to the point it's impossible keeping your sell order on top in jita
3)you must pay attention all the time to your orders, else #2 happens, voiding all fun of the isk making business.

That's how the market SHOULD work.
A basic law of economics ;
"Any project worth doing should return 0 economic profit, as long as there are many and equal buyers and sellers."
i think jita has reached that state in many items for station trading, thanks to the 0.01 isk game.

Johnny
Kara Books
Deal with IT.
#26 - 2012-04-14 21:41:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Kara Books
Sounds like a Bot makers dream.
If you seriously had intentions on helping others then you would have started with "Lets increase the amount of market orders, certain skills give per level-Not to much but Just enough to make it perfect"

If there was a problem, there would be complaining, if this happens, then What will we have?
Complaining.
Liberty Eternal
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#27 - 2012-04-14 21:49:35 UTC
Yep, as noted above wouldn't this just hand it all over to the bots?
Caleb Ayrania
TarNec
Invisible Exchequer
#28 - 2012-04-15 05:47:44 UTC
Liberty Eternal wrote:
Yep, as noted above wouldn't this just hand it all over to the bots?

The problem is really not bot. The main problem with bots and actually the current microbid gamestyle is that it makes the markets fully hubcentric. The main proof of this problem is the extremely tight margins at hubs, which result in almost only manipulation and trend shifting effects. The key thing to notice here is that almost all stockpiles of raw materials are traded in Jita, this on the seller side. Why is that a problem you may ask? Well the ideal thing about a central trade is about buying raw materials and then they should get shifted out to the rest of the universe and become available on a reseller side. This does not happen, because players buy in Jita for their personal use. That is all fine, but its a flaw that arises mainly because there is the lack of possibility to seriously consider making a reseller system

My suggestion about removing the order cap is mainly about making this reseller option widely available. This has nothing to do with my personal play style as such. I personally just find it extremely inefficient and problematic that there is no option to supply regional services. Whether your a mission runner that wants to sell at your mission station, or a miner that wants to sell in your local station, or even a producer that wants to buy minerals for production at your local station. The problem is all from the same missing feature. There is not option atm for all these assets to be resold and bought locally. That would be way more convinient for all types of players, and would bring about a lot of new oppertune market dynamics. There would be "compartmentalization" in local areas. This would bring a lot of price differences that could be profit creating for many different styles of gameplay

A nice side effect from this would be the really huge potential of market and price related differences between high sec and low and null sec. In short smaller economies would grow up and make things seem faster. You would start focusing more on your local area and territorialism would come from this

Why is it not a bots dream. Well this is not meant to be about solving the bot problem, I just pointed out that with this the playing field would become more level with humans. There is no final solution to botting. With an unlimited amount of outstanding orders and contracts and a limitation on number of changes per day, or a dynamic price system to broker fees the bots would have little advantage over players. My suggestion was to just turn things upside down and limit to injections per day, it is important to note that all quick sell and quick buy and even cancellations would not cost any units, since the injections was only applied to creation of a new broker contract. It would motivate players that wanted to be into contracts or scc market to actually train their skills and not simply flip the same 50 orders

EVE needs a better spread economy, the only way that can arise is if this barrier is removed. That would bring a lot more assets from hangar floors and wallets into play. This whole thing is merely a suggestion to an easy fix, ideally we need a rather huge market oriented upgrade, but that is not very likely to happen, since shooting things make a lot better sales videos, then a few graphs from the market screen

EVE is not comparable with any other games, and the main reason is the player versus player aspects, being fully integrated. A limitation like the one on orders and contracts is counter productive to the goal of creating a fully fledged sandbox economy. The only reason for keeping this would be server strain, that seemed one of the main reasons to bring it in originally. The thing is servers would be strained less with a change like this, since most activity would move to database size increase and a lot less client to server interactions.
Caleb Ayrania
TarNec
Invisible Exchequer
#29 - 2012-04-15 06:16:59 UTC
Johnny Frecko wrote:
to OP

your problem is the bots, and how they can less benefit from the gam

simple
kill the bots, CCP knows how, and did so drasticly, that's some of the market jitter

A :Do you have any other points that do not concern botters
B: All your solutions seem to perfect YOUR PERSONAL play-style
C: Some people do honestly enjoy the 0.01 game. Why? No clue, Why do people like griefing? Beats me.

if you could really list all the problems the CURRENT system has(and no, "boring" is not a problem)

Correct me if i'm wrong

1)Markets almost have no margins because everyone .1 is
2)people outbid you constantly to the point it's impossible keeping your sell order on top in jit
3)you must pay attention all the time to your orders, else #2 happens, voiding all fun of the isk making business

That's how the market SHOULD work.
A basic law of economics ;
"Any project worth doing should return 0 economic profit, as long as there are many and equal buyers and sellers.
i think jita has reached that state in many items for station trading, thanks to the 0.01 isk game

Johnny

A: My concerns are mainly about market dynamics, bots is secondary. The main problem is centralization, and internal economies. There is a lack of resellers of assets spread out in the universe, there is a lack of serious usage of contracts, (not really but it could do better and benefit from a boost), there is a lack of saturation of courier contracts publically available

B: They dont fit my play style per say, they would just make some of the things I would like to do, and others seem to want to do, possible. An example would be reselling some of those huge piles from Jita to the rest of the universe. Also buying at fair prices in lower populated regions. I have no real goals in EVE anymore, so its not really about me. After almost 10 years specific and personal game is not what its about for me. My interest is in seeing how a game reflects and can teach people about real life economy. That is why this particular issue seem so game breaking to me

C: Yes some seem to like microbids. Maybe because it feels a bit like the battle bidding of the floors of NYSE, the problem is not the microbids as such, its the lack of price and consequences. The barriers that exists in real life to get access to a stock exchange does not exist in EVE. This would be office space, hirering competent people, making sure they and you have the exams to be allowed to trade at the exchange, reporting your business, tax, ownerships etc etc.. The barriers we have are wrong, that is my claim. The battle of bids is important and will still be there after the de-nerf. Before it was introduced there was plenty of competition, it just spread out further and benefitted a larger range of the EVE universe

1. Reasons for lack of margins is mainly that everyone is trading in central locations. That means you have perfect competition and market equilibrium but only in one place. Compare to surrounding systems and you will see there is plenty of margins out there. With a removal of cap that is where oppertune markets would grow. To use a technical term at hubs the Donchian channel is extremely narrow and outside its quite wide. The change is instant and not gradual as would be expected. These are the dynamics we dont have, because of the current limitation

2. Outbidding to come in front of everyone would not happen in RL like this. What you would see is price on brokering would make people "share" the daily demands and supply. Simply by reaching a natural agreement. No that is not utopia speaking, that is basically what happens in less volatile markets. Exactly because if not there would be huge costs to the competition. Traders find the price where the supply and demand is shared according to needs and assets of the traders. When a market gets volatile and supply or demand changes that is when the competition occurs, and its every man for himself

3. With more orders you would not need to tend all your orders at all times. A lot of activity would become semi automated. Players would create their spreads in price and all markets would be seeded with both buy and sells at all times. So basically this de-nerf would make players more like bots and bots more like players. (ofc hopefully there would be no bots at all).. As stated in a chat ingame a bot that acts exactly like a human being is not a problem, its only when it clearly shows super human abillity that the playing field needs to be levelled. That is what some of these suggestions would do, I believe

Note I do realize I might be wrong and RL comparison does not actually work in EVE, and my suggestion is not possible due to technical issues, or abuse issues. Things that real life handles with other things like auditing, tax, dynamic pricing, and crime and punishment. That could very well be the case. I just think its worth looking at and condering it.
Sara Seraph
Sara Inc
#30 - 2012-04-15 15:56:47 UTC
Caleb Ayrania wrote:

... Stuff that has been beat enough...

Caleb Ayrania wrote:

Suggested standing limitation Buycott optio
Regarding contracts market it would be very useful to be able to limit access according to standing, and thus get a system for truly blocking and allowing only those you wish to trade with. As bulk markets become lucretive this feature will be highly effective in politics. Also a good thing with suspected changes to warfare

This little gem has gotten zero attention in this thread. The idea of attaching standings with contracts in some fashion.
Of course, why stop at contracts. I like the idea of - having the option - not buying/selling from someone that is a Red Contact. Blink

Personally, this seems like it would be a computational nightmare keeping track of that for every contract and market order, and the boycotted/embargoed player would have a nice friendly OOC alt buy the goods anyways. Sad

Ah, but dreaming is so much a part of the fun of EVE.
Caleb Ayrania
TarNec
Invisible Exchequer
#31 - 2012-04-15 18:38:11 UTC
It should really not be that hard to have a feature that blocks access to contracts. I do not think it belongs as a feature on scc market though. It should only be on contract market of all types.

The feature would also make it possible to use it in many ways.

The standing could be towards issuer or corp, or alliance.

If you chose issuer in making a corp contract the feature would work as a grouping feature.

Example. The corp mining foreman issues a courier contract to haul the Raw Ore from an operation.
He sets it up as corp contract and corp only, but only exceptional standing, which he only has set to his fellow corp miners.

Many variations ofc..

Being able to block trade is vital for future politics. Also the strawman could never workaround a demand for positive setting.

Sara Seraph
Sara Inc
#32 - 2012-04-15 21:26:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Sara Seraph
The idea that it would be for Corporate/Alliance order(s) only, has merit. It would be an advantage for being a corps member, this is an MMO after all.

... And yes, I know the desire every market person would have...

I am still pondering the implications; ie the ability to set "sale prices" for folks with good standings, or even selling directly to corps members at discounts and save on the accounting, etc. Example: Two sales orders one for the general public - at normal price - and one discounted for corps members. All the accounting would be done by using the existing systems. Obviously, the same would hold for buy orders.

This should also enable buying from friends - without having to use contracts. This is something I have always wanted. Click the setting - good standings only - I am buying/selling from friends, or leave it to public and I see all available to me.
Caleb Ayrania
TarNec
Invisible Exchequer
#33 - 2012-04-15 21:35:32 UTC
Sara Seraph wrote:
The idea that it would be for Corporate/Alliance order(s) only, has merit. It would be an advantage for being a corps member, this is an MMO after all.

... And yes, I know the desire every market person would have...

I am still pondering the implications; ie the ability to set "sale prices" for folks with good standings, or even selling directly to corps members at discounts and save on the accounting, etc.

The implications would be rather huge.. Since the number of ways a tool like this could be used is almost unending.

You could trade bulk with contracts with different standing degrees. So in fact with the unlimited contracts you could have nice buy orders up to pull in items, and then package the items in contracts bulk with different price for neutral, good and excellent standing. A whole resellers market could develop in contracts. Just to mention that one usage..

These suggestions are something everyone should benefit from and they are simple enough to have ccp take a serious look at them. There are plenty of people asking for new features, but these are as simple as they can get, with as high and impact and benefit as possible. If they should cause to many problems they are also easy to balance without to much effort.

To mention them in order.

1 No upper limit to contracts and market orders.

2 Player to player public rental of production and research slots.

3 Contracts can be set visible/available by standing.

The resulting gameplay is HUGE.

Sara Seraph
Sara Inc
#34 - 2012-04-15 22:10:16 UTC
I am not sold on the merits of #1 and #2, the jury is still out on thoses - though I do recognize the huge implications.

But, thanks for making me think! Lol
Johnny Frecko
Violence is the Answer
Wormhole Society
#35 - 2012-04-16 09:14:31 UTC
Claeb what you want is to re-sell jita items to other regions at a profit.
err, why?

Distance isn't so great like in real life to make it possible to "import" from jita to somewhere else, and when it is possible, people are doing it already(including me).

There are still huge margins on some items from jita to the rest of the universe, and vice verca.
I don't understand where the centralization concern comes from.

"Centralisation, or centralization (see spelling differences), is the process by which the activities of an organization, particularly those regarding planning and decision-making, become concentrated within a particular location and/or group."

1)How does that exist in eve?
2)How does your plan change this in any way?

I know what you want, you want to make ISK-making through trade easier, as it can be quite hard.
But most of the MD will agree that trade is right where it should be, margins shouldn't be wide open and easy to spot. in fact, most of the markets should be in equilibrium, it's our job to find the gaps, and heal the market(and make a profit).

and the reason people like the 0.01 is because they feel that with a little more activity, they can get a better deal. You're suggesting removing the activity aspect, or lowering it.

And on that part, i'm sorry, but someone who's playing 8 hours a day should do better than someone who's playing 1 hour a day. He should make more isk, and he should make easier isk.
Don't handicap people.

Johnny
Caleb Ayrania
TarNec
Invisible Exchequer
#36 - 2012-04-16 10:36:10 UTC
Johnny Frecko wrote:
Claeb what you want is to re-sell jita items to other regions at a profit
err, why

Distance isn't so great like in real life to make it possible to "import" from jita to somewhere else, and when it is possible, people are doing it already(including me)

There are still huge margins on some items from jita to the rest of the universe, and vice verca
I don't understand where the centralization concern comes from.

"Centralisation, or centralization (see spelling differences), is the process by which the activities of an organization, particularly those regarding planning and decision-making, become concentrated within a particular location and/or group.

1)How does that exist in eve
2)How does your plan change this in any way

I know what you want, you want to make ISK-making through trade easier, as it can be quite hard
But most of the MD will agree that trade is right where it should be, margins shouldn't be wide open and easy to spot. in fact, most of the markets should be in equilibrium, it's our job to find the gaps, and heal the market(and make a profit)

and the reason people like the 0.01 is because they feel that with a little more activity, they can get a better deal. You're suggesting removing the activity aspect, or lowering it

And on that part, i'm sorry, but someone who's playing 8 hours a day should do better than someone who's playing 1 hour a day. He should make more isk, and he should make easier isk.
Don't handicap people

Johnny

Well Johnny if you look at the above explaining, then it should be clear that my intention is not only focused on my personal isk making. This is a matter of importance to all types of play style

You say that travel and logistics is not a problem in EVE atm. I would seriously disagree. You can hardly equip a decent ship anywhere but in hubs. The prices on most items buy and sell is often in the griefer ranges. The usage of couriers is limited compared to the population densities, and the only alternatives atm to casual courier contracts is Red Frog and the likes. In short shipping is not yet the huge business it should be. We have all the tool, the freighter sizes, the protection arrangement option, even the actual contract system is pretty decent now. What we dont have is the option to have a lot of seeding of "ad hoc" shipping contracts. I will agree that most freight should only be when more then half the volume is used, but for this to get really effective we need more smaller orders. This is basically a wish for the tool that makes "interbus" automated freight possible. Ideally you should become able to easily fill a freighter or industrial with courier contracts from any populated system, at almost all times. Yes I am asking for something that will fill the server db with even more contracts, but as mentioned the search tools are really good now, and this would not cause to much strain. A 5-10 minutes delay to get the most recent data would be acceptable

To the question why is EVE central hub oriented

The reason there is a problem is because all hubs should mainly be a buyers market. So there would be hardly any stockpiles of materials, since that would be spread out to the resell areas. The price of say TRT should ALWAYs be the lowest in a region, the opposite seem to often be the case. This is because we dont have the number of traders and the infinite orders option atm. There is no Orange Juice or Gold at the COMEX market, its being traded there and sold at locations that need it. Ideally we should end up with a situation where we actually have no stock of anything in Jita, but everything is resold where people actually do the work. This can only be achieved if the limitation to contracts and orders are removed or greatly increased. I have presented a few ideas to how this could work, even mentioned one that uses consumables in the form of LP oriented vouchers, much like Starbase charters. I think that would be the most effective one, since it would introduce a new gameplay and market. The agent type that could grant these would ideally be neutral bodies and preferably the scc and maybe banks

This is not about how hard or easy it is to be a trader. The lack of margins at hubs is natural, hub should be oriented towards "speculation" on everyday balance there should be very little profit. This is maybe my key point, that profit belongs where people are working, not in hubs. The exception would be special services like bulk trade and packages of items

The microbid issue is covered pretty well in the above. The same reply as before, the problem is that such bids would not exist in an effective market. Its become a stupid game mechanic that for some strange reason people like.. Bid wars would still be in a more realistic market, they would just make more sense and not be the "queue skipping" that we see in EVE

Johnny Frecko
Violence is the Answer
Wormhole Society
#37 - 2012-04-16 11:09:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Johnny Frecko
The reason there are major hubs are simple, and unrelated to your points.

1)there aren't many people in eve compared to the systems.
2)Some systems are strategicly placed, or have historical reference
(jita anyone?)

People sell in jita, it's a buyers market. Problem is, the agents nearby means that ALOT of people also bring their mission loot to jita, Their mission loot is picked up by buy orders and then resold at the same hub, to who? the mission runners.

fast forward a year or two, and everyone knows Jita is the place to be to pick up things, Most mission runners already know that jita has everything they need, and rarely check anywhere else to completely re-fit their ship.

You're suggesting to break up jita into many smaller hubs with bigger margins to allow freight.
I'm using courier contracts right now, about 3-4 a week i'd say, and i'm having no problem getting them filled within 24 hours or less, from jita to pretty much anywhere "central" in highsec.
and no i don't pay 1M per jump.

You're now digressing from your main point which was to eliminiate micro-bidding, and i'm still not seeing how removing the 0.01 game makes for more hubs.
Fact is, Due to the lack of real life problems you mentioned(office space mainly), jita can grow indefentetly, for as long as the node supports it.
But wait, Isn't that what happens in real life? Isn't the "downtown" area always the most congested and filled with people? Why don't they move their wares somewhere else and spread it around the city? why does it have to be clustered in one way?
Because that's how economics, and specificly trade works.
You've had trade hubs since ancient times, Mainly through places that everyone WENT to.

Jita is the place to be right now, It's the only place with moon goo markets, it's the only place you can find every single ship(almost?) in eve in one place.
Why is this a bad thing? Power is not in the hands of one organization, It's just in one system and that system isn't controlled by anyone.

So i'm asking this again, Where is the problem?

edit:

"it's a game mechanic that for some reason people like" - i missed that part.
You're now treading on dangerous ground, do not look-down on other people's fun. Doing so will earn you nothing but trouble. This game is for the players, The players like the "Broken Mechanics", you're trying to tell everyone that it's wrong, and you're right.

You're making it sound like everyone's blind and only you can see the truth.

edit2: It just hit me that your problem isn't microbidding, it's the hubs, and that can be solved quite easily to get that "spread-around feel" you're seeking, and that might be missing.

My humble suggestion for the problem is dynamic broker fees.
Each station can handle X amount of new deals a day(kind of like offices), when that amount is breached, a small 0.1% increase in the next broker deal is issued, this quickly climbs and increases broker fees.
This means that everyone will jump from jita 4-4 to the other 4-4, as fees are reduced. and slowly spread to the serrounding systems.
(the X amount and % increase are not nominaly important, they can be settled later).
Fact is even a 3% increase in broker fees will remove alot of competition from jita itself to the serrounding systems.

Johnny
Caleb Ayrania
TarNec
Invisible Exchequer
#38 - 2012-04-16 11:57:47 UTC
There is a low population density in EVE, that is true. It is also why there is a need of central hubs, and why they develop naturally. I agree with you on that, my point is that you should still be able to pay more and move less. In short spreading out assets and stockpiles to the whole universe. I will expect you to counter with another of those catch 22 arguments. There are high densities because there is service and there is service because there is high density. This is very true, I am only asking for a way to give people the option to not focus in the same locations. The features needed for that is the ones mentioned

Again I am not merely focused on one thing, I am trying to show a combo of things that would benefit the gameplay in general

The history of Jita is not a natural one, it was the result of many factors, that all came from ccp. One major one being the removal of the highways. Second was agents and introduction and changes to production

The reasons people huddle around the hubs is because there is too long lines of supply and to poor logistics to service alternatives. The two best tools to fix that is an efficient market, where buyers/investors make liquidity available, and an effecient player driven shipping business. These two services are in EVE, I dont deny that, I am only saying they are artificially slowed down with the limitations (barriers of entry) that exist in form of skill limited contracts and orders. With a removal of that cap you would see a lot of speed enter the general gameplay

I did not digress, its part of a whole.

This is all connected to how to motivate more interesting activities. Especially territorial-ism, and incentives to spread out from hubs. The more players are dependent on a set of locations the less likely they will be to venture out and explore other areas

Just to answer what the problem is again

In real life business goes where people are, not the other way around. The Jita trade is monopolistic in the same way as Wall Mart and the likes. Natural development of this is fine, but not when its promoted by making alternatives impossible. Removal of this limit is vital, if we want a more variable market, with interesting locations and price differences

The 3 suggestions are all about more liberal markets and player to player interactions. Giving players the tools to create content, so we dont rely on ccp.

Caleb Ayrania
TarNec
Invisible Exchequer
#39 - 2012-04-16 12:13:40 UTC
Tekota wrote:
I really am in two minds on this one.

My primary concern is that the 0.01 isk game, whilst hardly an enjoyable process, gives a way for smaller and starting traders to compete. Larger traders already play the longer term game you describe, they can't be arsed to 0.01isk billion isk orders across dozens of products and certainly won't do so to undercut the little trader zipping around slipping a 100m stack here and there and agressively keeping it ahead of the pile.

The smoother equilibrium you describe I think (but *please* do correct me if I've got this wrong) as a target is effectively a narrowing of margins and regional variation. Now this is all fine - I'm more than happy making 3% on some goods because I'll thow billions at them and 3% of billions is just fine. However, could it not be seen as pulling the ladder up from under ourselves and removing all future competition joining the game - because 3% of an inital 50m trading fund is terrible. Currently those new 50m traders can supplement their wallet deficit with time spent and work 10 or even 20% margins by close minute by minute attention - this sort of return then allows them to grow their capital to a point where throwing billions across hundreds of orders at 3% margins is workable.

Spot on..

This is a bit more detailed though. In a liberated market you would still have this benefit, even more so. The price changes would get better resolution, the jumps in price would be reduced. So you would see more gradual graphs and when populations moved around the impacts would show faster on the markets. An example would be that there was medium profit margins in a location, and suddenly a 100 man corp moved to null space and WH, and there would be a dry up in demands and supply from that group, this would show directly on that local markets prices. We have something close to this now, but the shifts become very clunky, in lack of a better term. This is mainly because assets are mainly in passive states. So most assets are on hangar floors, in wallets or semi idle in space and on planets.

So in short: most things would stay the same, but the resolution in markets and respons time would improve. Also less need for working players to move around too much, since more assets would be moved or sold and bought at fairer prices. This all with the resulting effect of a feeling of less moving around and more time for other things. Ideally miners and builders should not have to move, they should be able to depend on market and shipping to handle everything.

Lastly there should hardly ever be any need to build things yourself, that should be rather huge waste compared to buying it. The difference between internal economy and liberal economy is not big enough. These are examples of features that would shift these things to be more player to player oriented. Also they will bring many new options to ccp for new tweaks and ideas..

Johnny Frecko
Violence is the Answer
Wormhole Society
#40 - 2012-04-16 12:49:08 UTC
"In real life business goes where people are, not the other way around. The Jita trade is monopolistic in the same way as Wall Mart and the likes. Natural development of this is fine, but not when its promoted by making alternatives impossible. Removal of this limit is vital, if we want a more variable market, with interesting locations and price differences"

The bolded quote is wrong in every single way.

If you don't know what a monopole is that's fine, But don't confuse someone else.

"A monopoly (from Greek monos μόνος (alone or single) + polein πωλεῖν (to sell)) exists when a specific person or enterprise is the only supplier of a particular commodity."

How is that, in ANY way, similar to jita?
If anything jita is great MARKET, with MANY vendors, MANY buyers, and the exact opposite of a monopoly situation.

Business follows people, that's the case with jita. and that's how it works in real life.
On the other hand, When you want to buy something from wallmart and wallmart is 50km away from you, You have to drive there Because it won't come to you. Business is where people are, Unfortunetly, not ALL people. And that's my case against your "centralization" problem.

You don't have any more centralization than anciet rhodes had.
it is not controlled by one player, corporation or even alliance. Making your argument invalid.

Why would i want to be a reseller somewhere else from jita if i can move items in jita 10 times faster than anywhere else?
I do not care to service your 30 man solar system with goods from jita, Because no one will buy them, Orders will stale, and people will not return to those systems.

According to your very own statement, Business follows people - If you can somehow change where people go, You can change where the hubs are - Perfect example is dodixie, it's slowly dying due to mission runners leaving it, Less trafic, Higher margins on buy/sell, It will eventually be another Oursulaert. - Markets are acting like markets should act, I still don't see a problem.
Previous page123Next page