These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Why is anyone using a Hulk over a Covetor.

Author
Welsige
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#81 - 2012-04-12 18:19:57 UTC
Aranakas wrote:
Covetors still get ganked.

Honestly, I don't know why people take part in Hulkageddon when it's blatantly an attempt at market manipulation, and both the miners and the gankers suffer a loss.

Because of fun?

[b]~ 10.058 ~

Free The Mittani[/b]

fido gotran over
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#82 - 2012-04-12 18:35:21 UTC
Chokichi Ozuwara wrote:
Shaddup shaddup Shaddup I mine in my rookie ship. TWO high slots!

also all rookie ships can use a light drone now -- the velator even gets two lights so you can use mining drones as well
Selak Zorander
Mord-Sith
#83 - 2012-04-12 18:47:14 UTC
Darth Gustav wrote:
Try not to mine AFK. You shouldn't be able to generate ISK with zero RISK.

But you can reduce the risk to near-zero.

Align. D-Scan at a reasonable range.

Warp if there's blips.

Sure it lowers efficiency in the short-term. But you live. And that's 250M+ in your pocket every time.

Make yourself a target, and that's what you are.

how do you mine AFK in a hulk...if your AFK the hold is full before the 2nd or 3rd cycle (assuming you fit a tank like every one is suggesting.

That gives you want 6 minutes before you need to either dock to empty or you have to create a jet can or move the ore to an orca or other suitable conntainer.

That does not seem very AFK to me since you have to pay attention every 6 minutes. Unless your talking about a bot that does all that for you but that is a whole different story there.

You want to know the AFK miners, go find the industrials sitting in a belt in 0.9 space with that one mining laser mining whatever rock they are parked next to for an hour or more between having to find another rock...That is AFK mining. not the 6 minutes you get from a hulk.

think about it a second. 8000 m3 cargo before expanders added. The three strip miners combined (even tech 1) pull atleast 4500 m3 of ore per three minute cycle. so yeah strip miners is not AFK mining. It may be Low attention mining but not AFK.
Darth Gustav
Sith Interstellar Tech Harvesting
#84 - 2012-04-12 18:51:03 UTC
Selak Zorander wrote:
Darth Gustav wrote:

Warp if there's blips.

Sure it lowers efficiency in the short-term. But you live. And that's 250M+ in your pocket every time.

how do you mine AFK in a hulk...if your AFK the hold is full before the 2nd or 3rd cycle (assuming you fit a tank like every one is suggesting.

That gives you want 6 minutes before you need to either dock to empty or you have to create a jet can or move the ore to an orca or other suitable conntainer.

That does not seem very AFK to me since you have to pay attention every 6 minutes. Unless your talking about a bot that does all that for you but that is a whole different story there.

You want to know the AFK miners, go find the industrials sitting in a belt in 0.9 space with that one mining laser mining whatever rock they are parked next to for an hour or more between having to find another rock...That is AFK mining. not the 6 minutes you get from a hulk.

think about it a second. 8000 m3 cargo before expanders added. The three strip miners combined (even tech 1) pull atleast 4500 m3 of ore per three minute cycle. so yeah strip miners is not AFK mining. It may be Low attention mining but not AFK.

So you are basically trying to claim you can't be ganked between having to pay attention every six minutes to your ******* cargo hold?

Yeah, the odds are way in your favor there, genius.

He who trolls trolls best when he who is trolled trolls the troller. -Darth Gustav's Axiom

Cipher Jones
The Thomas Edwards Taco Tuesday All Stars
#85 - 2012-04-12 18:53:56 UTC
Aranakas wrote:

Honestly, I don't know why people take part in Hulkageddon when it's blatantly an attempt at market manipulation, and both the miners and the gankers suffer a loss.

I see that you fail to understand the very mechanics you are posting about. I have yet to take a loss ganking miners.

internet spaceships

are serious business sir.

and don't forget it

Baneken
Arctic Light Inc.
Arctic Light
#86 - 2012-04-12 19:10:22 UTC
Darth Gustav wrote:
Selak Zorander wrote:
Darth Gustav wrote:

Warp if there's blips.

So you are basically trying to claim you can't be ganked between having to pay attention every six minutes to your ******* cargo hold?

And how much ore you think he generates by being at the keyboard for those full 6-minutes, none.
Only thing you get from watching is to see your d-scan and strip miners slowly filling up, hardly an exiting sight.
I rather do incursions equally afk but 10x times more ISK with 10x less effort and no one will ever try ganking you.
Darth Gustav
Sith Interstellar Tech Harvesting
#87 - 2012-04-12 19:13:51 UTC
Baneken wrote:
Darth Gustav wrote:
Selak Zorander wrote:
Darth Gustav wrote:

Warp if there's blips.

And how much ore you think he generates by being at the keyboard for those full 6-minutes, none.
Only thing you get from watching is to see your d-scan and strip miners slowly filling up, hardly an exiting sight.
I rather do incursions equally afk but 10x times more ISK with 10x less effort and no one will ever try ganking you.

He gets to keep his Hulk and minerals instead of losing them.

So I guess I miss your ******* point to be honest.

Also LOL@ AFK Incursions after Escalation.

He who trolls trolls best when he who is trolled trolls the troller. -Darth Gustav's Axiom

Meryl SinGarda
Belligerent Underpaid Tactical Team
#88 - 2012-04-12 19:36:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Meryl SinGarda
gfldex wrote:
A Covetor doesn't work. If you got maxed out skills you fill your cargo hold with one cycle of one laser. You will lose ore due to full cargo holds. That ain't much of a problem tho, because you don't got the capa to run 3 T2 strip miners anyways.

Do it Capa! Capa. Do it.

1 million ISK to the first person to evemail me with the name of the movie I just referenced.

lol reward claimed, hella fast.
Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#89 - 2012-04-12 21:07:05 UTC
Darth Gustav wrote:

I fully see that it's a curve. But stating the obvious is counterproductive and I think we all knew it was a curve before.

Of course if you raise its EHP it will take more dudes. Of course if you lower its EHP it will take less dudes.

Your sole point still ignored friends, which made it pretty much moot anyway.

You and other forum frequent users maybe know everything but this is a general forum also read by newbies. I find better to repeat concepts than assuming all for known or - eventually - pointing them to some 2005 thread.
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#90 - 2012-04-12 21:17:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Ranger 1
I thought it was common knowledge the Hulk was supposed to be able to smash everything in it's path.

PAINT IT GREEN AND MAKE IT SO!!!

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Richard Hammond II
Doomheim
#91 - 2012-04-12 22:49:03 UTC
Welsige wrote:
Aranakas wrote:

Because of fun?

You mean because your masters tell you to. Same reason you vote for mittens

Goons; infiltration at its best - first bob... now ccp itself. They dont realize you guys dot take this as "just a game". Bring it down guys, we're rooting for you.

Whambot
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#92 - 2012-04-13 00:01:28 UTC
Aqriue wrote:
Good question.

Oh, and reduce the current tank on the barges / exhumers to at least 1/10th its current total. This is to force people to stop mining, gankers get their killmails and in the process shoot themselves in the foot since no one will be able to mine minerals. You know that theory, about having too many predators in a given area will eventually kill off the prey...yeah that is EVE precisely since everyone wants to be the wolf who consider the miners to be chickens and sheep.
]

Truth.
I never understood all the miner hate in EVE in no other game are crafting/gathering professions so despised and yet in no other game are they as important.
My miner on my other account hadn't lost a ship in over a year and lost 2 hulks and a mackinaw in in the past 2 week from suiciders and a corp wardec so he's staying docked indefinitely as he trains logi skills. With the drone loot changes and the seemingly drastic recent increase of highsec gankers it will be interesting to see how the economy is going to fluctuate in the next few months.
Diesel47
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#93 - 2012-04-13 00:13:20 UTC
Rokh is the best mining ship by far.

Miners too dumb to use.
Cipher Jones
#94 - 2012-04-13 00:20:19 UTC
Richard Hammond II wrote:
Welsige wrote:
Aranakas wrote:

Because of fun?

I like it when people tell their adversaries why they do things on the internet. Its so 21st Centry-ish.

internet spaceships

and don't forget it

D3F4ULT
#95 - 2012-04-13 00:38:56 UTC
Allow LSE on Hulks.

"Bow down before the one you serve, you're going to get what you deserve"

Richard Hammond II
Doomheim
#96 - 2012-04-13 01:06:05 UTC
Cipher Jones wrote:
Welsige wrote:
Aranakas wrote:

Because of fun?

I like it when people tell their adversaries why they do things on the internet. Its so 21st Centry-ish.

I like it when their alts fight back

Goons; infiltration at its best - first bob... now ccp itself. They dont realize you guys dot take this as "just a game". Bring it down guys, we're rooting for you.

Welsige
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#97 - 2012-04-13 14:12:17 UTC
Cipher Jones wrote:
Welsige wrote:
Aranakas wrote:

Because of fun?

I like it when their alts fight back

No, its because of fun.

No one orders us to go and suicide gank, its an event wich players must seize and enjoy.

For example, i did not come to any hulkagedons or ice interdiction, but planning to attend to the Jita event.

You should work on your hate issues.

[b]~ 10.058 ~

Free The Mittani[/b]

Cipher Jones
#98 - 2012-04-13 15:13:15 UTC
Kengutsi Akira wrote:
Nedes Betternaem wrote:
Kengutsi Akira wrote:

I have a friend thats mined straight through hulkageddon the last three/four times in a hulk and never had an issue.
Mine where people arent

One time a friend of mine t-boned hit by a dump truck while on a motorcycle and survived without a scratch, that must mean that getting hit by a truck is completely risk free.

The smart hulkegeddon gankers will search low population systems rather than competing with other gankers in high population systems, your friend just got lucky or was in one of the two places that I mentioned.

see this hulkageddon thing is waaaaaay overblown as to how dangerous it is to mine in and thats really the only way they have an effect as far as an impact on mineral prices during it. Ppl like the above perpetuate the stereotype its more dangerous than it normally is (lol its really not, you ALWAYS have people out gunning for you when youre mining so its not THAT different). When DONT you have gankers looking for you in this game when you mine?

and yes, your argument will be valid when it happens 4 times in a row.

He's got 3 more tries at it to go

Hi. Cipher Jones with a quick math lesson.

If the population stays the same, and the number of hunters increase, the chance of survival decreases.

internet spaceships

and don't forget it

Jitageddon Is Coming
Doomheim
#99 - 2012-04-13 16:00:13 UTC
I LOVE ALL THESE TEARS FROM YOU PUBBIES!!! SOON YOU WILL BE BEGGING FOR OUR MERCY!!!
Markus Reese
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#100 - 2012-04-13 17:22:41 UTC
Good point from the OP. The cost to losing hulks regardless of fit is offset by plausible gain over it's lifespan unless the hulk is fit to tank. Covetor, no tears cause it isn't any form of loss if you lose one. Good thing for values going up. Soon a miner can make money with a smart fit.

To quote Lfod Shi

The ratting itself is PvE. Getting away with it is PvP.