These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Why no in game fitting tool?

Author
Digital Messiah
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2012-04-12 06:40:28 UTC
Although it is incredibly easy to use EFT and pyfa. Why has CCP not taken the initiative to make an in game version. This would be unbelievably helpful to new players. Even older players as well! Not to mention if you could make a ship fitting and have it auto buy and fit at the station with a list of prices and totals. That would be F#%^ing awesome...

Something clever

T' Elk
Amok.
Goonswarm Federation
#2 - 2012-04-12 06:41:41 UTC
Maybe they see fit to leave it in the hands of the very capable players that are developing these third party tools for us, and not waste preciously dev time on things that already exist?

~Badposter since FOOOOREEEEEVAAAAAR~ I come back after 2 years to THIS? ~Now 4 years apparently

DeBingJos
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2012-04-12 06:46:57 UTC
T' Elk wrote:
Maybe they see fit to leave it in the hands of the very capable players that are developing these third party tools for us, and not waste preciously dev time on things that already exist?

Still it is a tool that should be available ingame. Try explaining to new players how to download pyfa or eft, create an api key, and use the program.

There should be an ingame fitting tool! Hell we already have the fitting screen, just make it that you can fit items you don't own yet.

Ungi maðurinn þekkir reglurnar, en gamli maðurinn þekkir undantekningarnar. The young man knows the rules, but the old man knows the exceptions.

tomato1
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2012-04-12 06:51:48 UTC
i agree i have had this thought come accross my mind number times seems like should bin added long ago but like most things in ccp land there like that guy who never finishes a home reno everythings half built so they have no time to start something new ;-P
Signal11th
#5 - 2012-04-12 07:30:45 UTC
Actually for once on these forums not a bad idea.

God Said "Come Forth and receive eternal life!" I came fifth and won a toaster!

Lokli Lokli
Burning Rotten Blood
#6 - 2012-04-12 07:37:13 UTC
its not needed. if new players dont understand api keys or how to download a program we dont need then.
Roime
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#7 - 2012-04-12 07:51:22 UTC
They will introduce it together with the release of their rather flashy in-game Fleet Fitting Tool, which will be the main attraction of WiS 2.0 - Corporate Quarters.

Summer expansion 2013.

Richard Desturned
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#8 - 2012-04-12 08:02:46 UTC
Lokli Lokli wrote:
its not needed. if new players dont understand api keys or how to download a program we dont need then.

To be fair, a lot of players come from other MMOs, and are not quick to download some random program that they are being told to get.

npc alts have no opinions worth consideration

Geodeath
Fist of God
#9 - 2012-04-12 08:43:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Geodeath
I think it would be to useful. Let me explain...

Fitting a ship is a fine art and is personally one of my favorite parts of the game. It, to me, is kind of a personal research project many times. I have many ships and most of them were designed specifically for a particular mission requirement (pvp, mission running, scanning, etc...). I especially love when I can get a ship hull that is not designed to do a particular job fitted in such a way as to be effective in that role. That is a personal victory condition that is very satisfying when I get it to work. Also, the trial and error of flight testing is a relaxing and rewarding experience to me.

That all being said, why shouldn't that part of the game cost isk for ships and modules as well as time for research and fitting? I have done so much of this that I have "prototype testbed" hulls in my primary fitting base. Being able to save those fits was a great boon to test and fit nerds like me, but an auto buy and fit feature option and iskless fitting tool is just a bridge to far. Having to actually sink isk into the process and having the knowledge of the fit able to be saved and passed on to friends is a level of game immersion that I believe is important. Fits become an intellectual asset when a cost is attatvhed to their developement. If I wanted an easy game for fitting an internet spaceship, I would fire up Star Trek Online and walk around stations showing off my shiny borg toon.
Digital Messiah
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2012-04-12 08:46:10 UTC
Geodeath wrote:

Fitting a ship is a fine art and is personally one of my favorite parts of the game. It, to me, is kind of a personal research project many times. I have many ships and most of them were designed specifically for a particular mission requirement (pvp, mission running, scanning, etc...). I especially love when I can get a ship hull that is not designed to do a particular job fitted in such a way as to be effective in that role. That is a personal victory condition that is very satisfying when I get it to work. Also, the trial and error of flight testing is a relaxing and rewarding experience to me.

That all being said, why shouldn't that part of the game cost isk for ships and modules as well as time for research and fitting? I have done so much of this that I have "prototype testbed" hulls in my primary fitting base. Being able to save those fits was a great boon to test and fit nerds like me, but an auto buy and fit feature option and iskless fitting tool is just a bridge to far. Having to actually sink isk into the process and having the knowledge of the fit able to be saved and passed on to friends is a level of game immersion that I believe is important. Fits become an itellectual asset when a cost is attatvhed to their developement. If I wanted an easy game for fitting an internet spaceship, I would fire up Star Trek Online and walk around stations showing off my shiny borg toon.

At no point do you have to sink isk into it... but ok

Something clever

Geodeath
Fist of God
#11 - 2012-04-12 08:51:43 UTC
Digital Messiah wrote:
Geodeath wrote:

That all being said, why shouldn't that part of the game cost isk for ships and modules as well as time for research and fitting? I have done so much of this that I have "prototype testbed" hulls in my primary fitting base. Being able to save those fits was a great boon to test and fit nerds like me, but an auto buy and fit feature option and iskless fitting tool is just a bridge to far. Having to actually sink isk into the process and having the knowledge of the fit able to be saved and passed on to friends is a level of game immersion that I believe is important. Fits become an itellectual asset when a cost is attatvhed to their developement. If I wanted an easy game for fitting an internet spaceship, I would fire up Star Trek Online and walk around stations showing off my shiny borg toon.

At no point do you have to sink isk into it... but ok

Sure you do, unless you have extra modules sitting around. I keep a pretty good stock just for this. I could always find a tool somewhere for it, but I consider that cheating and am not so stingy with isk. It makes being rich in eve actually fun when you can say you spent a billion isk researching and fitting your prototype tengu. ;)
Ciar Meara
PIE Inc.
Khimi Harar
#12 - 2012-04-12 09:33:03 UTC
Richard Desturned wrote:
Lokli Lokli wrote:

To be fair, a lot of players come from other MMOs, and are not quick to download some random program that they are being told to get.

or insert things like api's just willy nilly in a third party program.

Safety first children.

- [img]http://go-dl1.eve-files.com/media/corp/janus/ceosig.jpg[/img] [yellow]English only please. Zymurgist[/yellow]

Smoke Adian
#13 - 2012-04-12 09:37:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Smoke Adian
Any ingame tool like EFT would be viewed the same way most people view evevoice and everyone would make fun of anyone who used it over EFT. Besides, I think it would be hard to compete with the features of EFT within a game window. Possible I suppose, but overall a complete waste of resources.

[edit] Also, anyone needing to use EFT is going to be in a corp or alliance that uses api's for various things anyways.
Tallian Saotome
Nuclear Arms Exchange Inc.
#14 - 2012-04-12 09:38:25 UTC
DeBingJos wrote:

Try explaining to new players how to download pyfa or eft, create an api key, and use the program.

I do this on a very regular basis, as well as walking them through using APIs to register on forums, to be able to get on comms, etc. Adding this tool in game would detract dev resources from things that matter, while adding nothing to the game.

Name one game where you can see how a new set of gear works together in game without actually OWNING said gear. Plenty give you tooltips that allow you to compare individual pieces, but none allow you to simulate an entire spec.

Inappropriate signature removed, CCP Phantom.

cyennajewelz
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2012-04-12 09:45:49 UTC
just a ccp browser based eft would be nice instead of a out of date 3rd party tool.
just login to it and it knows your characters skills and you'd be able to do fits and save them for later when you have the skills trained up.
Sasha Azala
Doomheim
#16 - 2012-04-12 09:52:14 UTC
Lokli Lokli wrote:

I disagree, you should not have to rely on 3rd party software. The amount of people that use those programs would suggest it is needed or at least desired.

I might even use such a tool if it was part of the game. Presently I just do it myself as I don't use 3rd party software with the possible exception of voice software (although presently not even using that).
Tallian Saotome
Nuclear Arms Exchange Inc.
#17 - 2012-04-12 09:55:14 UTC
cyennajewelz wrote:
just a ccp browser based eft would be nice instead of a out of date 3rd party tool.

EFT is out of date? Thats news.

Use EveHQ, that way you can just get the DB dumps from CCP and import them into your SQL server, never be out of date and don't rely on someone else to keep it that way.

http://wiki.battleclinic.com/index.php/Using_SQL_Server_With_EveHQ

There ya go, now you know how to never be out of date.

Inappropriate signature removed, CCP Phantom.

Signal11th
#18 - 2012-04-12 10:53:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Signal11th
Tallian Saotome wrote:
cyennajewelz wrote:

Use EveHQ, that way you can just get the DB dumps from CCP and import them into your SQL server, never be out of date and don't rely on someone else to keep it that way.

Yep because setting up a SQL server to import CCP data will always be preferable to an in game fitting tool. Sad

No offense but I'm suprised half of the clowns on here can actually manage to get past the login screen let alone setting up a 2005/2008 SQL server.....

God Said "Come Forth and receive eternal life!" I came fifth and won a toaster!

cyennajewelz
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#19 - 2012-04-12 10:56:52 UTC
Signal11th wrote:
Tallian Saotome wrote:
cyennajewelz wrote:

Yep because setting up a SQL server to import CCP data will always be preferable to an in game fitting tool. Sad

No offense but I'm suprised half of the clowns on here can actually manage to get past the login screen let alone setting up a 2005/2008 SQL server.....

exactly my point 3rd party tools suck.
the more you have to use them the more they get out of date when patches and changes happen to the game.
ship fitting is part of the game a ship fitting tool should be also.
Donathan Slade
Death By Consequence
#20 - 2012-04-12 11:00:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Donathan Slade
T' Elk wrote:

Correct, along with the simple fact that there are SOOO many calculation of tools including customizing what fits based on your skill plan and how long it will take to train say, new skills to fix the desired ship.

This tool is beyond the scope of the "game" and works so well already, why change developers?

cyennajewelz wrote:

exactly my point 3rd party tools suck.
the more you have to use them the more they get out of date when patches and changes happen to the game.
ship fitting is part of the game a ship fitting tool should be also.

If you paid any attention to the EVE fanfest videos you would see they are working on the CREST API which will allow for developer licensing which will give them updated API so that their information CAN be accurate. EFT was specifically mentioned and screen shot in their power point presentation.
12Next page