These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Why cant we buy SP

Author
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#41 - 2012-04-11 21:48:37 UTC
Buzzy Warstl wrote:
So while buying SP might not appeal to you, it is highly unlikely that it would "break the game".
…aside from it bypassing a number of game mechanics and letting people uncontrollably inject the one thing that actually has any value in the game: time.
Buzzy Warstl
Quantum Flux Foundry
#42 - 2012-04-11 22:56:46 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Buzzy Warstl wrote:
So while buying SP might not appeal to you, it is highly unlikely that it would "break the game".
…aside from it bypassing a number of game mechanics and letting people uncontrollably inject the one thing that actually has any value in the game: time.

Give me a break, most of the "time spent" training skills is waiting for the game to decide it's OK to give you access to content now that you've been a good kid and waited your turn.

Total patronizing nonsense.

http://www.mud.co.uk/richard/hcds.htm Richard Bartle: Players who suit MUDs

Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#43 - 2012-04-12 01:03:25 UTC
Buzzy Warstl wrote:
Tippia wrote:
Buzzy Warstl wrote:

Give me a break, most of the "time spent" training skills is waiting for the game to decide it's OK to give you access to content now that you've been a good kid and waited your turn.

So you're fine with me rolling around jita with a swarm of one day old tornado alts? or an influx of one day old titan pilots?
Astroniomix
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#44 - 2012-04-12 01:08:06 UTC
Danika Princip wrote:
Buzzy Warstl wrote:
Tippia wrote:
Buzzy Warstl wrote:

So you're fine with me rolling around jita with a swarm of one day old tornado alts? or an influx of one day old titan pilots?

That's an interesting point..... LET MY BUY SP PLEASE!!!
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#45 - 2012-04-12 02:28:26 UTC
Buzzy Warstl wrote:
…and that time spent is a hard limiting factor to who and how many can do what at any given time, and is a part of the core balancing mechanics of the game.

You can call it patronising as much as you like, but the fact remains: time is the only resource in EVE that is actually worth anything, and this suggestion asks that we should be able to inject as much of that resource as we'd like on a whim, bypassing all those balancing mechanics if you have the cash.

It's a bad idea in pretty much every way imaginable.
Buzzy Warstl
Quantum Flux Foundry
#46 - 2012-04-12 02:51:24 UTC
Tippia, I know you think your analysis of this is sound, but I've seen enough games rise and fall to have a strong suspicion (admittedly unproven) that what makes a game sustainable isn't character progression but player progression.

What are the most durable and popular games on the planet?

Nothing on-line, that's for certain.

Draughts, chess, go, various physical sports like soccer and baseball.

Even the tabletop RPG ancestors of the modern on-line RPG by and large have had considerable staying power.

These games and sports last because they challenge their players without restricting them beyond their own abilities.

Doing the same in an on-line game is a challenge that has only been attempted a scant handful of times. I only know of one game that tried, and they pulled back from complete player freedom and unlimited reward for skill, I have a suspicion that their steadily shrinking player base is due to that.

I see every sign that EvE is following the same path. It's a fun game (for now), but with the current paradigm new players will get steadily scarcer and more experienced players will simply get bored and drop off until there isn't enough of a player base to keep the servers running.

At that point few will mourn it's passing, and they'll go play a nice game of draughts.

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#47 - 2012-04-12 03:09:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Buzzy Warstl wrote:
Tippia, I know you think your analysis of this is sound, but I've seen enough games rise and fall to have a strong suspicion (admittedly unproven) that what makes a game sustainable isn't character progression but player progression.
Completely removing character progression and gutting the game of some of its core balancing features sure doesn't help with player progression, since it's consistently the draw of these kinds of games.

This idea doesn't solve any actual problem, but rather creates a whole bunch of them since it wreaks havoc with those core mechanics.
Buzzy Warstl
Quantum Flux Foundry
#48 - 2012-04-12 03:23:41 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Buzzy Warstl wrote:
Completely removing character progression and gutting the game of some of its core balancing features sure doesn't help with player progression, since it's consistently the draw of these kinds of games.

This idea doesn't solve any actual problem, but rather creates a whole bunch of them since it wreaks havoc with those core mechanics.

If character progression that takes years to finish for full player access to the game is a "core mechanic" required for continuation of the game, that is an indication that the actual content being restricted is too weak to be compelling in the long term.

Which means the game dies in the end, since the weakness is being propped up by an artificial restriction that people can and do see through pretty quickly.

Sigras
Conglomo
#49 - 2012-04-12 03:30:35 UTC
What we have now in the character bazaar is akin to you purchasing a PLEX from CCP and selling it on the market for ISK.

What you're suggesting is giving CCP money and having them spawn ISK in game from nowhere for you.

These two things are VASTLY different, there is a reason most people are ok with PLEX but never want CCP to directly sell isk.

Allow me to illustrate this economy in a different way:
If I had a lot of ISK, like trillions, and I began to buy up all the characters on the character bazaar, what would begin to happen? the price would go up right? because im creating artificial demand, the price per SP would increase because it is an economy.

Likewise, if CCP gave each player 20 billion, what would happen to the price of everything? It would go through the roof! especially the faction/deadspace/officer items, they would go up like crazy because everyone suddenly has more isk to throw around, Economists call this inflation, and it works in every system.

It happened when the drone metals were introduced into the game, the price of Zydrine fell like a stone because they introduced a ton of it into the market, thats economics 101.

But the secondary effect is that youre decreasing the value of all the items (in this case zydrine) that people are holding, they're now worth less because there are now more of them than there used to be . . . thats the problem with your suggestion
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#50 - 2012-04-12 03:39:37 UTC
Buzzy Warstl wrote:
If character progression that takes years to finish for full player access to the game is a "core mechanic" required for continuation of the game, that is an indication that the actual content being restricted is too weak to be compelling in the long term.
Good thing, then, that it doesn't take that long to access the game… it takes about a month or so.
Katie Frost
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#51 - 2012-04-12 04:40:32 UTC
For all the valid counter-arguments in this thread, one universal truth should reign supreme in this game as much as it reigns in every aspect of our life: You cannot buy time. It ticks away incessantly and unrelenting to anything that you may put in its way.

Your argument, which screams for a healthy dose or Ritalin more so than to make any applicable sense in EvE, is fundamentally flawed. Instant gratification, or the pursuit thereof; besides it being game-breaking (again I refer you to other posters in this thread for details), would also trample all over the one basic, universal concept to which EvE skill-training holds true - if you want to learn a skill, then spend time learning it.

If this fosters a content-witholding, patronising environment... then welcome to EvE and also, welcome to life.
2ofSpades
Doomheim
#52 - 2012-04-12 06:57:03 UTC  |  Edited by: 2ofSpades
I would support a PVP package for brand new players only that would cost extra and is a one time thing.They could select one package between the four race packages. Players would have their basic fittings skills(Electronics, Engineering) trained to 5. Depending on the race they pick the new player will get the minimum skills needed to fit T2 tanking mods, T2 small weapons, and T2 prop mods. The frig and dessi skill would both be trained to lvl 4 also for the selected race. Thats about 1-2 months of SP. I dont support buying skillpoints but if I was a brand new palyer I would support anything that had to do with more sp for me.
lanyaie
Nocturnal Romance
Cynosural Field Theory.
#53 - 2012-04-12 08:09:57 UTC
Because we want you to have ******* experience instead of seeing 12 y olds with maxed out chars cause mommy gave them a creditcard

Spaceprincess

People who put passwords on char bazaar Eveboards are the worst.

Buzzy Warstl
Quantum Flux Foundry
#54 - 2012-04-12 11:55:12 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Buzzy Warstl wrote:
Good thing, then, that it doesn't take that long to access the game… it takes about a month or so.

A month?

Pull the other one, it's got bells on it.

There's more than enough progression built into EvE just learning how all the bits fit together, they could just hand everyone a full set of L5 skills out of the gate and noobs would still be noobs and it would take at least 6 months for a normal player to get good enough at the game to compete with experienced players.

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#55 - 2012-04-12 13:48:27 UTC
Buzzy Warstl wrote:
A month?
Yes, about a month. That's how long it takes to get the base set of skills together so you can really start doing something competently. You see, this isn't a game where things start when you're “finished”, as is the case with many (if not most) level-based systems — this is a game where things start when you start, and where the trip is all the fun (because if it isn't, then the end won't be any fun either since it's exactly the same thing as the trip itself).

You most certainly don't need to train for years to “finish“ anything, and you don't need to be “finished” to access anything either. Of course, the key problem is that “finishing” isn't really an applicable concept to EVE.

Your problem is that you're thinking in terms of “finishing” and “catching up”, and you're asking for solutions to those problems. It's just that those problems don't exist — they are already solved by the way the skill system works. As a result, the proposed solution doesn't actually solve anything, and instead just breaks the game in several places.
Simi Kusoni
HelloKittyFanclub
#56 - 2012-04-12 14:17:07 UTC
Buzzy Warstl wrote:

I think you are really underestimating the power of character investment, it's not a matter of progression. Progression is ephemeral, investment is tangible and works excellently to tie a player into a game once they have already invested significant amounts of time.

Every one playing at the moment has something they are aiming for, we are always training towards that one perfect setup, by the time we reach it we normally have a new skill plan laid out and a new ship to obsess over one day being able to fly. In that time between planning for a ship and being capable of flying it a player is extremely unlikely to unsub.

There may be some who are too impatient, and who can not wait a week or two to fly a battle cruiser. But then, this is Eve, do you really think they would have lasted in this game anyway? Sure, you could change the game to suit them. But then us older players would abuse the crap out of the system you introduce, ruin the game, and then quit ourselves due to the number of 3 day old titan pilots running around.

Buzzy Warstl wrote:
What are the most durable and popular games on the planet?

Nothing on-line, that's for certain.

Draughts, chess, go, various physical sports like soccer and baseball.

Wait, wait... you're comparing an online MMORPG to chess, soccer and basketball. Because these games all totally use the same psychological hooks to enthrall their users.

These games are durable and popular for completely different reasons to Eve online, comparing them is stupid.

Buzzy Warstl wrote:
These games and sports last because they challenge their players without restricting them beyond their own abilities.

This statement, when you actually try and analyse it, doesn't even mean anything. What if someone has good technical knowledge in terms of football, but is physically unfit? HURR DURR FOOTBALL TOTALLY RESTRICTS ME BEYOND MY ABILITY NERF FOOOOOTBALLZ.

Buzzy Warstl wrote:
I see every sign that EvE is following the same path. It's a fun game (for now), but with the current paradigm new players will get steadily scarcer and more experienced players will simply get bored and drop off until there isn't enough of a player base to keep the servers running.

At that point few will mourn it's passing, and they'll go play a nice game of draughts.

Draughts: The new Eve online.

I agree with you on one point, and one point only. Eve's current trajectory in terms of skills is slightly worrying, but not because of some imagined new player inadequacy, because of SP proliferation. More and more players have higher and higher SP as time goes on, we become more and more efficient as a group at logistics/farming ISK/mining/building.

This creates issues with super capital proliferation, titan fleets, over simplified logistics etc. I mean seriously, ever seen a modern alliance's logistics? We have so many JF pilots and carrier pilots that we can move hundreds of players and their ships across Eve in a single session with zero risk, and almost every player either has access to their own carrier/JF or knows someone with one in order to move personal assets and loot.

Anyway, IMHO, that is the only issue with SP in it's current form. And it's not really one that can be fixed very easily.

[center]"I don't troll, I just give overly blunt responses that annoy people who are wrong but don't want to admit it. It's not my fault that people have sensitive feelings"  -MXZF[/center]

Simi Kusoni
HelloKittyFanclub
#57 - 2012-04-12 14:21:55 UTC
Buzzy Warstl wrote:
A month?

There's more than enough progression built into EvE just learning how all the bits fit together, they could just hand everyone a full set of L5 skills out of the gate and noobs would still be noobs and it would take at least 6 months for a normal player to get good enough at the game to compete with experienced players.

When I'd been in this game 6 months I'd already grinded enough ISK to buy myself a super capital alt off the character bazaar, and the only person in my alliance with even close to the amount of ISK I have joined Eve around September last year. He's also the second highest on our KBs pretty regularly (after me, naturlich).

[center]"I don't troll, I just give overly blunt responses that annoy people who are wrong but don't want to admit it. It's not my fault that people have sensitive feelings"  -MXZF[/center]

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#58 - 2012-04-12 14:23:12 UTC
Simi Kusoni wrote:
Anyway, IMHO, that is the only issue with SP in it's current form. And it's not really one that can be fixed very easily.
…it is also the exact opposite of the “problem” suggested here, and would only be made worse by the proposed solution.

But yes, the problem with EVE is more and more becoming one where we have too few skills and too much SP, rather than the other way around.
Simi Kusoni
HelloKittyFanclub
#59 - 2012-04-12 14:44:10 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Simi Kusoni wrote:
…it is also the exact opposite of the “problem” suggested here, and would only be made worse by the proposed solution.

But yes, the problem with EVE is more and more becoming one where we have too few skills and too much SP, rather than the other way around.

Indeed, the issue with the OP's suggestion is that it would accelerate this process and effectively "end Eve early".

Finding a price that is affordable enough for new players, yet expensive enough to avoid abuse by older players would also be completely impossible. There is just such an enormous gap in terms of in game finances between us.

Buzzy Warstl
Quantum Flux Foundry
#60 - 2012-04-12 14:46:00 UTC
Simi Kusoni wrote:
Buzzy Warstl wrote:
A month?

When I'd been in this game 6 months I'd already grinded enough ISK to buy myself a super capital alt off the character bazaar, and the only person in my alliance with even close to the amount of ISK I have joined Eve around September last year. He's also the second highest on our KBs pretty regularly (after me, naturlich).

You are obviously not an average player, and it sounds like you also had training from other exceptional players.

So you would judge the quality of the game by your personal experience at the top of it.

I know of EvE subscribers who *right now* are not playing the game because they are waiting for skills to train on their characters so they can access the content they want to play in the way they want to play it. CCP is getting their money for now, but if they get distracted by some other game it's quite likely they will unsubscribe, and if they do that they probably won't come back any time soon.

They obviously aren't you, and aren't playing the same game you have experienced, but their experience is just as real as yours.