These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

World Level sound now diminish with distance WAY TOO FAST!

Author
isk4trade
Cogitation Mining and Industrial Trading
#1 - 2012-04-08 08:40:07 UTC  |  Edited by: isk4trade
I wasn't gonna post anything but I can't stand it any more and I can't find any posts about it.

A little while ago there was a mention in a patch that sounds were fixed so that they diminish with distance again. I had not noticed that they weren't but oh well I may have been too close to the action to notice.

OMFG! I did not know they were gonna make them so that they diminished way way WAY faster with zooming out than they had in the last year and a half almost since I been here.

Were people complaining that the sounds did not dwindle with distance quickly enough for the last year and a half ? ... or did someone just say "... well ... while we are at it lets fade the world sounds WAY faster ... " for the hell of it ?

I can't tell if I am even being SHOT AT undless I am zoomed in enough to almost count the bolt heads on the ship. This is very very important audio input, especially when you are playing more than one account (which is encourged).

When you zoom back enough to see even a decent portion of the battlefield in a small gang fight, you are pulled totally out of the audio of the game in such a way as to not even feel like you are in the battle! ...

One can adjust their world level sounds to a lower level if they are too loud ... but if they diminish to zero very quickly with distance then you cannot turn UP the volume of them!

PLEASE put them back to the way they were or at LEAST some happy medium beween what they were and dwindling to ZERO when you zoom back 10 or so KM to have some kind of decent field of vision.

me
Potrondal Morrison
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2012-04-08 08:46:01 UTC
Eve has sound?
Adunh Slavy
#3 - 2012-04-08 09:03:47 UTC
"Heard any funny jokes lately?"

"No, I play Eve"

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.  - William Pitt

Reaver Glitterstim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2012-04-08 09:08:23 UTC
I agree that this is an issue. However, we won't get much support from the rest of the EVE community on this one, because most people play EVE without sound.

One thing that bothers me is that strip miners can be heard clearly from several notches of zoom further than weapons fire.

FT Diomedes: "Reaver, sometimes I wonder what you are thinking when you sit down to post."

Frostys Virpio: "We have to give it to him that he does put more effort than the vast majority in his idea but damn does it sometime come out of nowhere."

Kiandoshia
Likely Suspects
RAZOR Alliance
#5 - 2012-04-08 10:40:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Kiandoshia
The entire audio part of Eve needs to be redone from scratch at some point. Atm, it is just not worth turning it on.

-E- Not worth aren't the right words.. It is actually painful to have it on imo.
Quartzlight Evenstar Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Operations
#6 - 2012-04-08 12:00:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Quartzlight Evenstar Icefluxor
WHO the F*** CARES ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Sound will ALWAYS be too loud for some and not enough for otheres....no MATTER WHERE CCP puts it.

Jeez...............................

My God half the Forum Posters in here have zero life or brain.

JeanMichel Bizarre
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#7 - 2012-04-08 12:15:16 UTC  |  Edited by: JeanMichel Bizarre
Quartzlight Evenstar Icefluxor wrote:

Sound will ALWAYS be too loud for some and not enough for otheres....no MATTER WHERE CCP puts it.

You may not F****** CARE, but you are ONE PLAYER, do NOT think for a second you speak for anyone but YOURSELF. You are such a bad troll you're not even funny.

A VERY BIG part of ANY gaming experience is sound and any company (hint, hint CCP) who neglects this is doing a great disservice to their game world.

Dangerzone

Celgar Thurn
Department 10
#8 - 2012-04-08 15:40:31 UTC
Miss Icefluxor is having a bad day and has apologized to me.

Erm back to the OP. Yes i have noticed the sound effects have faded right back much to my displeasure. CCP fixed the sounds on strip miners, mining drones, salvagers, & tractor beams a little while ago and they were great again. Salvagers and tractor beam sounds were excellent - scary almost. Big smile

Now even if your right on top of your strip miners I dont think they are making any sound at all. I think Ice Harvesters are still making sound but only from certain angles.

CCP SOUNDWAVE!!! PLEASE REVERSE THIS DECISION AND BRING BACK THE NOISE!!!
Thomas Orca
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2012-04-08 15:46:07 UTC
JeanMichel Bizarre wrote:

A VERY BIG part of ANY gaming experience is sound and any company (hint, hint CCP) who neglects this is doing a great disservice to their game world.

That's why most player's I know actually turn the EVE sound off, right?
Oberine Noriepa
#10 - 2012-04-08 16:49:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Oberine Noriepa
Kiandoshia wrote:
The entire audio part of Eve needs to be redone from scratch at some point. Atm, it is just not worth turning it on.

-E- Not worth aren't the right words.. It is actually painful to have it on imo.

Agreed. I have said the very same thing a couple of times in the past.

JeanMichel Bizarre wrote:

Absolutely. Good sound design goes a long way in enhancing an experience. Hopefully CCP will consider redesigning EVE's audio in the near future.

The music needs to be updated, too.

Black Dranzer
#11 - 2012-04-08 16:54:44 UTC
Came expecting "Eve has sound?"

Left unsurprised.

But yes, sound is a bit weird with its falloff.
Meryl SinGarda
Belligerent Underpaid Tactical Team
#12 - 2012-04-08 17:15:22 UTC
Not to distract from the topic at hand, but I've always wondered, why do so many people play EVE without sound?
Rath Kelbore
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#13 - 2012-04-08 17:25:57 UTC

Guess which half this post just put you on.

I usually don't have sound turned on while playing eve. I usually don't because the sound is so horrible that it's not worth having on. EVE's sound needs to be totally reworked, obviously.

I plan on living forever.......so far, so good.

Xercodo
Cruor Angelicus
#14 - 2012-04-08 17:30:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Xercodo
I play with sound, just without in-game music. I turn it back on some times but it tends to get in the way more often when trying to watch a youtube video for instance, it's more of a hassle to pause EVE music than it is for most other media players. The sounds of guns going off and Aura's voice when autopiloting and the other little UI sounds provide a audio confirmations that things are happening for me.

Anyway, regarding the OP: I think that since all of the sounds we hear are supposed to be synthesized by our pod ANYWAY we should simply get a slider in the ESC settings to change sound falloff. From 10km to 100km. It doesn't sound unreasonable that a capsuleer be able to decide this sorta thing for their pods.

The Drake is a Lie

mechtech
Ice Liberation Army
#15 - 2012-04-08 17:31:13 UTC
CCP really needs to look at a better solution for sound in general.

Perhaps the sounds around your ship should always be audible, in addition to sounds near the observer drone? Most players will play fairly zoomed out, or zooming in and out constantly, so the sound system needs to support this player behavior without jarring changes or silences.

And yes, the fadeout distance isn't adequate if that's the only issue you want to look at.
Reaver Glitterstim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2012-04-09 00:16:10 UTC

You'd be one of the half, apparently. No offense, but we aren't talking about volume controls (which are available in EVE, if you were wondering). This thread is about individual sounds not balancing well with other sounds near them, and more importantly, sounds simply not being played at all.

On a side note, I think the old strip miner and ice miner sounds were great, I wish they had never been removed. I think the old ice miner sounds might be back, I'm not sure. The strip miners now play sound at all, unlike how they were only playing a brief sound at the start of their cycle. But they just don't sound like they used to. Only gripe I had with them back then is that they were so loud they would drown out even other loud turrets.

FT Diomedes: "Reaver, sometimes I wonder what you are thinking when you sit down to post."

Frostys Virpio: "We have to give it to him that he does put more effort than the vast majority in his idea but damn does it sometime come out of nowhere."

Liang Nuren
No Salvation
Top Belt for Fun
#17 - 2012-04-09 00:32:00 UTC
I play with sound because it provides a strong benefit in small gang warfare. Sound issues NEED to be addressed in a timely manner.

-Liang

I'm an idiot, don't mind me.

isk4trade
Cogitation Mining and Industrial Trading
#18 - 2012-04-09 16:37:28 UTC  |  Edited by: isk4trade
Well I am glad that a few agree that sound issues need to be addressed but some of you are missing the point.

My issue is not the maximum VOLUME of the world level sounds (which is easily adjustable from the escape menu audio panel) but the now INCREDIBLY fast rate at which these sounds drop off as you zoom out since the recent tweak to "fix" sound that was NOT dropping off at ALL when zooming out, in some instances, apparently.

I don't know why the rate of dropoff is now SO fast to go from full volume to NIL with zooming out. Once you zoom out a short distance and the sound diminishes to ZERO, there is no adjustment that will bring it back.

I find I am often not even aware that a ship is being shot at and damaged until my first UI/HUD shield alarm goes off! This is especially so when playing multiple characters/accounts.

Maximum world sound level can ALWAYS be turned down in the audio menu, so there IS no issue with "for some it will be too loud" whatsoever.

CCP: Please look into this specific issue. It was fine for over a year since I have been here then BANG ... superfast sound drop off with zoom distance ... (whimper)

me
Riyal
invidious Squid
#19 - 2012-04-09 16:42:58 UTC
Potrondal Morrison wrote:
Eve has sound?

This, the sound in Eve is a terrible and very very old joke.

In hindsight my post should have had more psssshhhh

Ettu Brute II
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#20 - 2012-04-10 01:06:55 UTC
Reaver Glitterstim wrote:
However, we won't get much support from the rest of the EVE community on this one, because most people play EVE without sound.

Evidence for this sweeping asssertion?

Has the entire player base answered a survey on the subject?
12Next page