These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Market Discussions

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Would you pay for a "Market PvP; 101" class?

Author
Xerxes Thirteen
Lowe Tech
#1 - 2012-04-05 22:07:55 UTC
I'm looking to give a "Market PvP for beginners" class and I was looking for volunteers. This would be a free class open to a limited number of people. I would be expecting some serious feedback at the end and while I'll be giving this to other members of my corp, it will be helpful to have pilots who don't feel the need to blow smoke up exhaust. I'll explain further below

As a perk of an old alliance I helped run, we offered pvp courses for newer pilots much like Agony Unleashed or EVE Uni and while we were able to teach a lot of noobs how to pvp, the majority of them failed at being able to support their ship & mod needs.

Quite a few of them were not looking forward to grinding lvl 4's and mining was out of the questions, so I offered to give a crash course on how to use the market. Now either I was a horrible teacher of PvP, or I was on to an aspect of the game that is often overlooked and that is playing the market, because I received more positive feedback from that class than the 3 pvp classes I did prior.

What the class would cover;
-How the market works and different ways you can buy & sell stuff
-Who buys on the market & who sells
-Knowing what to sell & where
-Skills associated with the market (what to train & when)
-In game & out of game market aids
-Top rules to follow while trading
-Buying & Selling best practices (or trading theory)
-Pitfalls, does & don'ts

What this class is not
-Advanced market PvP, such as;
war decing your competition, running multiple market hubs, spiking the market, ect.
-Techniques for scamming, or market griefing
-How to run a 100 Billion plus alliance market

I am not a big time Jita trader, I dedicate about 30-60 minutes every other day to the market and I average about 100-200 million revenue a day running from a small, but busy system (yes 1 system). I do this basically by myself (alt included).

I think I have a good system and would like to eventually get paid to share it with other EVE pilots.

So, if you kept reading this short novel and are still interested, please EVE mail me from the account you'd like to use for market buying & selling and also the system & region you primarily (sorry, I need to make sure I'm not training my compitetion). I have at least 5 out of 10 slots open for this free class, which most likely will be held at the peak game time Sunday April 22nd to accommodate US& EU pilots the same.

Cheers,
X13

Kara Books
Deal with IT.
#2 - 2012-04-05 23:37:13 UTC
I was thinking of starting something along those lines but in exchange for friendship =)
Kandreath
De Re Metallica
#3 - 2012-04-06 01:49:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Kandreath
Yes - in the beginning I would've paid.

Now propbably not so much unless there was an "intermediate" class.
Barakach
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#4 - 2012-04-06 03:33:56 UTC
Since you claim it is free, I may be interested. I am a commodities trader of high volume items, so I don't think I would be stepping on your toes, but I think it would be interesting to see what you have to say.

I have a revenue closer to 1bil/day, but I spend A LOT more time playing than what you claim. I think I could give decent feed-back as I already have a semi decent understanding of the very basics, but not as much "Eve" experience.
Wyke Mossari
Staner Industries
#5 - 2012-04-06 03:47:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Wyke Mossari
As a corp/alliance perk it's fine. As a business idea, the problem is those that could afford it, won't need it; and those that need it cannot afford it.
Xerxes Thirteen
Lowe Tech
#6 - 2012-04-06 21:30:08 UTC
Barakach wrote:
Since you claim it is free, I may be interested. I am a commodities trader of high volume items, so I don't think I would be stepping on your toes, but I think it would be interesting to see what you have to say.

I have a revenue closer to 1bil/day, but I spend A LOT more time playing than what you claim. I think I could give decent feed-back as I already have a semi decent understanding of the very basics, but not as much "Eve" experience.

Yeah, my main runs a PvP corp, so I can't take up too much time with trading.

And there's a chance you might even find some of it too noobish, as I do start by explaining some of the basic aspects like telling the difference between an NPC sell/buy order and a player buy sell order. believe it or not, there are players who didn't know you could tell the difference.

I think if I was to charge it would be under 100 mil for sure, since it is a beginning class. Maybe between 25-50 mil.

We'll see how it goes. At the very best I make a few new friends and learn something new myself.

Worst case, I get flamed and trolled in my own class.

X13
Hillesumos
Trader's Academy
#7 - 2012-04-06 22:24:35 UTC
Well.... sound interesting.

I am a regular trader and would be curious how you could plan a trading basic course ......

Prolly won't learn much but will surely remind me of my early days as a noob trader.
Xaqa
Doomheim
#8 - 2012-04-07 19:04:25 UTC
I would be curious to hear what you have to say.
However, seeing as EVE University has a bunch of classes about trading and it's freely available...

The Cryptic Arch - Always Building

cuoredipietra famedoro
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#9 - 2012-04-07 22:52:30 UTC
Wyke Mossari wrote:
As a corp/alliance perk it's fine. As a business idea, the problem is those that could afford it, won't need it; and those that need it cannot afford it.

This, honestly.

However, you could keep running classes for free, give EVE-UNI competition, gain in reputation.

Wish u luck with your endevour.

Caeci caecos ducentes 

Xerxes Thirteen
Lowe Tech
#10 - 2012-04-22 15:48:30 UTC
Interesting I actually was thinking if this got some fairly positive responses i might pitch the idea to EVE Uni. Didn't know they had all that info up on their web site.

Still have a couple of spots open since I had to bump the time up to 16:00 EVE Time.

Which means the class starts in about 15 minutes.

Private convo me to get in. You'll need to be able to at least hear me through EVE VOice.

X13
Katarina Reid
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#11 - 2012-04-22 16:55:42 UTC
I would pay $19 a month or $199 for a lifetime sub.
Cedo Nulli
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#12 - 2012-04-22 19:47:14 UTC
To Op's question: No.
Barakach
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#13 - 2012-04-22 20:11:37 UTC
I thought it was quite well structured.

Like others pointed out, it may be hard to get money from the target audience. I guess someone in the 500m range could very possibly still need a few tips that they didn't realize.
Claire Voyant
#14 - 2012-04-22 20:28:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Claire Voyant
Would I pay for a free class? I stopped reading at this point.
Vladimir Vladimirovitch Putain
Remanaquie Federation
Meracom
#15 - 2012-04-23 02:41:59 UTC
Xerxes Thirteen wrote:

I average about 100-200 million revenue a day running from a small, but busy system (yes 1 system). I do this basically by myself (alt included).

No you don't. Now guess how I know.

And you need an alt as well to trade on the one system? Impressive stuff.
Barakach
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#16 - 2012-04-23 15:47:19 UTC
Vladimir Vladimirovitch Putain wrote:
Xerxes Thirteen wrote:

I average about 100-200 million revenue a day running from a small, but busy system (yes 1 system). I do this basically by myself (alt included).

No you don't. Now guess how I know.

And you need an alt as well to trade on the one system? Impressive stuff.

He may not be the best trader(he trades on the side, so I assume he's not top tier), but he did have some great points for someone starting in trading. I don't know about other people, but hearing something sticks better than reading something.

As a "101" class, I thought it was great. How well this class can be sold, I have no idea. I'm not sure the money he could extract from his target audience would be worth his time.