These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

What's the most you've ever been scammed out of? How?

Author
malaire
#41 - 2012-04-03 08:59:13 UTC
about 300 mil ISK, margin trading scam

New to EVE? Don't forget to read: The Manual * The Wiki * The Career Options * and everything else

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#42 - 2012-04-03 11:59:28 UTC
Destiny Corrupted wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
Yes, If I kept all my stuff in a high sec pos and contributed nothing to the corp maybe it could be helped

I think you kind of answered your own question there.

Since clearly I must be a noob to get robbed by a corp director, even though alliances have fallen to the same trick, I'd really like to know what you guys would do better.

Situation: You've been living in nullsec for months and have your own manufacturing setup and ships to use all out with you. none of the directors have ever given any hint that there is an issue. One day you log on and all your stuffs gone. Now beside what I did - which is only keep out there what I could afford to lose - what exactly would you do better?

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

Ashley SchmidtVonGoldberg
Doomheim
#43 - 2012-04-03 12:00:06 UTC
15 buck a month for this game

Standing in for Karn Dulake who was banned for saying bad words

Amsterdam Conversations
Doomheim
#44 - 2012-04-03 12:09:05 UTC
Bought a "Navy" Omen for 80m once... Nothing that really touches me though, I regularly add a zero too much to my 8-digit buy orders. Straight
lanyaie
Nocturnal Romance
Cynosural Field Theory.
#45 - 2012-04-03 12:14:46 UTC
In about 50mins when i get back on my other pc I'll list some people I've scammed (yes i keep a list of shame) and for how much and the item.

Because i doubt they will for themselves

Spaceprincess

People who put passwords on char bazaar Eveboards are the worst.

lanyaie
Nocturnal Romance
Cynosural Field Theory.
#46 - 2012-04-03 12:19:14 UTC
Miregar Shakor wrote:
Probably not scam, but one of my ransom victims payed too much (too many zeroes) and I have managed to make the exactly same mistake when I was paying him back the over payment.

So yeah, that ransom I extorted from someone did actually cost me 450M...

Wait hold on you pay back your ransom victims? Fail pirate is fail

Spaceprincess

People who put passwords on char bazaar Eveboards are the worst.

Klown Walk
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#47 - 2012-04-03 12:27:20 UTC
Nothing yet.
Christopher AET
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#48 - 2012-04-03 12:38:48 UTC
980 million. The old buy a slicer for a million. Was suffering from insomnia at the time and did not notice the last contract was indeed for a billion til it was too late. Thankfully I am a bit flush in real life atm so i just sold off a couple of plex and was back to where I was.

I drain ducks of their moisture for sustenance.

Xander Riggs
Slamtown Federation
#49 - 2012-04-03 12:54:15 UTC
Can't recall being scammed at any point...didn't get involved in any trading or courier contracts until later on in my career. I knew Eve as a wretched hive of scum and villainy, so I haven't really fallen for any scams.

Did get coaxed into losing a battleship once, but I kinda knew that was coming and took a willful gamble. Good fight, though.

"A man with a drone-boat has nothing but time on his hands."

Space Wanderer
#50 - 2012-04-03 12:56:55 UTC
-50 M.

Scammed the scammer. Obvious scamming contract to 0.0, completed anyway. 50M for 1 unit of trit. Fun. Big smile
Joe Skellington
Sarz'na Khumatari
#51 - 2012-04-03 13:13:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Joe Skellington
On Contracts I thought I was buying a researched Hurricane BPO, this was before they changed the blueprint colors to seperate the BPOs from the BPCs. Was around 550 mil.

Please note that ASCII art is not permitted in the forum signatures. Spitfire

Tyler Rainez
#52 - 2012-04-03 13:28:50 UTC
Been playing since Dec 06, got suckered only once because of greed...direct trade window scam lost 1.6b...congratulated the guy....oh but how it hurt like hell.
Spy 21
Doomheim
#53 - 2012-04-03 13:31:01 UTC
Tyler Rainez wrote:
Been playing since Dec 06, got suckered only once because of greed...direct trade window scam lost 1.6b...congratulated the guy....oh but how it hurt like hell.

Was lucky enough not to get caught in that the first time someone tried it on me.
Quickly started insisting on contracts only and my convo requests in trade hubs dropped to nothing :)

Obfuscation for the WIN on page 3...

Hicksimus
Torgue
#54 - 2012-04-03 13:37:55 UTC
300mil for an iteron 5. Big smile I ended up getting it all back from the guy because long after I had forgotten about it I ended up as a director in that guy's corp and he was talking about how he'd purchased an Iteron 5 once for 300m by accident then flipped it for 300m the next day. Then I named the solar system and he felt bad so he gave me the isk back.

Recruitment Officer: What type of a pilot are you? Me: I've been described as a Ray Charles with Parkinsons and a drinking problem.

Vertisce Soritenshi
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#55 - 2012-04-03 13:42:02 UTC

Bounties for all! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2279821#post2279821

Tyler Rainez
#56 - 2012-04-03 13:44:41 UTC
Spy 21 wrote:
Tyler Rainez wrote:

Was lucky enough not to get caught in that the first time someone tried it on me.
Quickly started insisting on contracts only and my convo requests in trade hubs dropped to nothing :)

Yup always did a contract...but greed was the culprit along with stupidity Big smile
My Neutral Toon
Doomheim
#57 - 2012-04-03 13:46:50 UTC
I joined EVE back in 2007. I've never been scammed out of ISK. I have come very very close a few times. I HAVE been scammed out of other things, like my ships...

I started life in EVE the same way a lot of people do. Mining.

After you get ganked so many times, and can flipped so many times.. you just decide enough is enough and start doing it to other people instead of letting them do it to you.

I never once cried in local or cried to CCP to ban people. I knew what I got into when I signed up for EVE since I had read reviews beforehand.

The last time I was almost scammed was by, who else, the goons. Funny.... I'm in the CFC now...

...Can't. Tell. If ...Troll? Or Serious....

Butt Hurt about Harrasment? Read first GM post: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=88362&find=unread

Miregar Shakor
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#58 - 2012-04-03 13:55:22 UTC
lanyaie wrote:
Miregar Shakor wrote:
Probably not scam, but one of my ransom victims payed too much (too many zeroes) and I have managed to make the exactly same mistake when I was paying him back the over payment.

So yeah, that ransom I extorted from someone did actually cost me 450M...

Wait hold on you pay back your ransom victims? Fail pirate is fail

Indeed.
Got payed 50M instead of the requested 5M, so I decided to give 45M back.
The rest I already told..
Korsiri
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#59 - 2012-04-03 14:11:00 UTC
too paranoid so nil

frankly I would credit my first MMO - UO - with teaching me all about scams, gankers and to never ever trust anyone

instincts that have served me well in Eve
Willl Adama
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#60 - 2012-04-03 14:17:48 UTC
bought a vigil for 1.6 billion once

Hi