These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

DUST will fail miserably

Author
CaptainFalcon07
Scarlet Weather Rhapsody
#1 - 2011-09-26 18:53:24 UTC
Does CCP really expect DUST to become a success as a console shooter when player have to pay real money to get better items, is only on the Playstation 3, has fairly little market hype, and competes with the more popular Battlefield and Call of Duty series?

I can say this, they must be out of their mind if they think so. I expect DUST to only last a few months in popularity at most, then players will leave it behind to pick up the next best console shooter.

Whatever DUST will by, I'm not going to be playing or buying it since I don't have a PS3.
Grey Stormshadow
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#2 - 2011-09-26 18:55:44 UTC
This is rumor thread as there is no question mark on the topic. THis isn't related EvE either so... in before lock or move to oope.
*waves*

Get classic forum style - custom videos to captains quarters screen

Play with the best - die like the rest

KaarBaak
Squirrel Team
#3 - 2011-09-26 18:58:50 UTC

If you think Dust is "just another console shooter" then you don't know much about Dust.

Dum Spiro Spero

Brooks Puuntai
Solar Nexus.
#4 - 2011-09-26 18:59:27 UTC
Grey Stormshadow wrote:
THis isn't related EvE either so... in before lock or move to oope.
*waves*

Since Dust will be "linked" to Eve online as CCP has stated numerous times, means that it is Eve related so fits in the right section. It would be very biased to take action against this thread since there has been numerous thread discussing DUST on this forum.

However the OP is a couple months late to the Dust will fail party.

CCP's Motto: If it isn't broken, break it. If it is broken, ignore it. Improving NPE / Dynamic New Eden

Vertisce Soritenshi
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2011-09-26 19:01:10 UTC
CaptainFalcon07 wrote:
Does CCP really expect DUST to become a success as a console shooter when player have to pay real money to get better items, is only on the Playstation 3, has fairly little market hype, and competes with the more popular Battlefield and Call of Duty series?

I can say this, they must be out of their mind if they think so. I expect DUST to only last a few months in popularity at most, then players will leave it behind to pick up the next best console shooter.

Whatever DUST will by, I'm not going to be playing or buying it since I don't have a PS3.

The door is that way ---------->

Don't let it hit you in the mouth on the way out.

Bounties for all! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2279821#post2279821

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#6 - 2011-09-26 19:01:32 UTC
CaptainFalcon07 wrote:
Does Bungie really expect Halo Combat evolved to become a success as a console shooter when player have to buy a new console to play it, is only on the X-box, has fairly little market hype, and competes with the more popular Battlefield and Call of Duty series?

I can say this, they must be out of their mind if they think so. I expect Halo Combat Evolved to only last a few months in popularity at most, then players will leave it behind to pick up the next best console shooter.

Whatever Halo Combat Evolved will by, I'm not going to be playing or buying it since I don't have a X-box.

Indeed.
Grey Stormshadow
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#7 - 2011-09-26 19:01:52 UTC
Brooks Puuntai wrote:

Pretty much... seems like another pissed xbox owner.

Get classic forum style - custom videos to captains quarters screen

Play with the best - die like the rest

CaptainFalcon07
Scarlet Weather Rhapsody
#8 - 2011-09-26 19:02:40 UTC
Grey Stormshadow wrote:
Brooks Puuntai wrote:

Pretty much... seems like another pissed xbox owner.

Nah just a pissed off PC gamer.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#9 - 2011-09-26 19:03:55 UTC
CaptainFalcon07 wrote:
…and competes with the more popular Battlefield and Call of Duty series?
No. It competes with PS2.

Also, what you'll be paying for is unknown at the moment.
Nova Fox
Novafox Shipyards
#10 - 2011-09-26 19:11:55 UTC
CaptainFalcon07 wrote:
Does Bungie really expect Halo Combat evolved to become a success as a console shooter when player have to buy a new console to play it, is only on the X-box, has fairly little market hype, and competes with the more popular Battlefield and Call of Duty series?

I can say this, they must be out of their mind if they think so. I expect Halo Combat Evolved to only last a few months in popularity at most, then players will leave it behind to pick up the next best console shooter.

Whatever Halo Combat Evolved will by, I'm not going to be playing or buying it since I don't have a X-box.

Very Indeed, considering it was supposed to have been an RTS.

Dust 514's CPM 1 Iron Wolf Saber Eve mail me about Dust 514 issues.

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#11 - 2011-09-26 19:15:04 UTC
Nova Fox wrote:
CaptainFalcon07 wrote:

Very Indeed, considering it was supposed to have been an RTS.
…and Marathon is still better to this day. P
Ladie Harlot
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#12 - 2011-09-26 19:17:02 UTC
lol @ people who still think DUST *won't* fail.

The artist formerly known as Ladie Scarlet.

Akrasjel Lanate
Lanate Industries
#13 - 2011-09-26 19:19:46 UTC
So you say you can see in the future... not.
You just trolling.

CEO of Lanate Industries

Citizen of Solitude

St Mio
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#14 - 2011-09-26 19:21:20 UTC
While you still have the crystal ball out can you check next week's lottery numbers for me? Thanks.
Barakkus
#15 - 2011-09-26 19:28:54 UTC
KaarBaak wrote:

If you think Dust is "just another console shooter" then you don't know much about Dust.

To your typical console player, it will be "just another shooter"...I'm guessing 90% of them won't give a flying **** about EVE Online honestly. I have mentioned it to a bunch of console gamers and their eyes just glaze over and ask "but will there be n00b t00bs and prone?"

http://youtu.be/yytbDZrw1jc

Kunming
WiNGSPAN Delivery Services
WiNGSPAN Delivery Network
#16 - 2011-09-26 19:33:03 UTC
KaarBaak wrote:

Tell that to the average console gamer:

A: There is this shooter, where you can influence a persistent world through your actions..

B: Why would I care about a persistent world when all I wanna do is shoot stuff and lvl up?!

The "dream" of DUST, CCP has, is great, unfortunately the players coming to DUST will probably have never heard of EVE, and wont really care about the "butterfly effect", the majority will leave as they came because they WILL think exactly "just another console shooter".

CCP should have made a PC version just for safety IMO. Also I dont get the arguement of broadening the customer base. I mean they are k with selling us space-barbie and astro-rectum for stupid prices but when we say we are interested in paying for the EVE-shooter they develop, no, u have to buy a toy-computer in which u are not interested in at all (aka console)...
Ladie Harlot
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#17 - 2011-09-26 19:34:22 UTC
Akrasjel Lanate wrote:
So you say you can see in the future... not.
You just trolling.

Anybody who's not a mouthbreathing idiot can see the future when it comes to Dust. A console shooter (a market that is glutted with titles) exclusive to the console with the smallest audience is doomed to fail.

Also, console kiddies in Eve lol

The artist formerly known as Ladie Scarlet.

Nova Fox
Novafox Shipyards
#18 - 2011-09-26 19:36:25 UTC
Kunming wrote:
KaarBaak wrote:

Tell that to the average console gamer:

A: There is this shooter, where you can influence a persistent world through your actions..

B: Why would I care about a persistent world when all I wanna do is shoot stuff and lvl up?!

The "dream" of DUST, CCP has, is great, unfortunately the players coming to DUST will probably have never heard of EVE, and wont really care about the "butterfly effect", the majority will leave as they came because they WILL think exactly "just another console shooter".

CCP should have made a PC version just for safety IMO. Also I dont get the arguement of broadening the customer base. I mean they are k with selling us space-barbie and astro-rectum for stupid prices but when we say we are interested in paying for the EVE-shooter they develop, no, u have to buy a toy-computer in which u are not interested in at all (aka console)...

Dunno most shooter players Ive talked too are just full of giddy happiness that rivals a missile full of sunshine when I tell them that battles in dust have pernament concequences or results making every fight meaningful its like having single player outcomes on a multiplayer platter.

Dust 514's CPM 1 Iron Wolf Saber Eve mail me about Dust 514 issues.

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#19 - 2011-09-26 19:36:29 UTC
I hope CCP have the common sense to have already started the PC port for Dust, so that they can release it the microsecond their exclusivity agreement with Sony expires.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Takamori Maruyama
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#20 - 2011-09-26 19:36:31 UTC
ITT: consolelol

Loud and clear...

123Next pageLast page