These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

What's the most you've ever been scammed out of? How?

Author
DarthNefarius
Minmatar Heavy Industries
#21 - 2012-04-03 06:27:03 UTC
I know ALOT of GOONs that scammed out of a CSM vote by CCP... at least Darius III promised PLEX!
An' then Chicken@little.com, he come scramblin outta the    Terminal room screaming "The system's crashing! The system's    crashing!" -Uncle RAMus, 'Tales for Cyberpsychotic Children'
Vyl Vit
#22 - 2012-04-03 06:27:27 UTC
A famous mafioso once said, "The only people you can scam are the ones who want something for nothing. If nobody wanted something for nothing, we'd be out of business."

Never been scammed. Never scammed. Won't never be scammed. Won't never scam.

Paradise is like where you are right now, only much, much better.

Nedes Betternaem
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#23 - 2012-04-03 06:28:43 UTC
Vyl Vit wrote:
Won't never be scammed.

So mean you will be scammed?
Gilbaron
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#24 - 2012-04-03 06:29:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Gilbaron
an iteron I to a can flipper on day 3, not sure if it counts as scamming

and 150m i gave to a friend who later ragequit eve after loosing the second hulk in a day during hulkageddon (which he bought with my isk), not sure if it counts as scamming aswell
Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#25 - 2012-04-03 06:36:01 UTC
I got caught by the margin trading scam once.

Didn't really lose much but time and my dignity. Still annoys me that this is a viable scam as there is no counter to it.

Mr Epeen Cool
Nedes Betternaem
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#26 - 2012-04-03 06:41:56 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:

Didn't really lose much but time and my dignity. Still annoys me that this is a viable scam as there is no counter to it.

Mr Epeen Cool

Common sense...

But I like you so I am not gonna rag on you that much.
Destiny Corrupted
Deadly Viper Kitten Mitten Sewing Company
Senpai's Afterschool Anime and Gaming Club
#27 - 2012-04-03 06:42:12 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:

Mr Epeen Cool

The counter is not falling for it.

I wrote some true EVE stories! And no, they're not of the generic "my 0.0 alliance had lots of 0.0 fleets and took a lot of 0.0 space" sort. Check them out here:

https://truestories.eveonline.com/users/2074-destiny-corrupted

DarthNefarius
Minmatar Heavy Industries
#28 - 2012-04-03 06:48:35 UTC
Destiny Corrupted wrote:
Mr Epeen wrote:

Mr Epeen Cool

bull the counter is giving the people the ISK & a negitive wallet balance in the people who did the margin scam. If they biomass negitive isk accounts all accounts get perma banned .
An' then Chicken@little.com, he come scramblin outta the    Terminal room screaming "The system's crashing! The system's    crashing!" -Uncle RAMus, 'Tales for Cyberpsychotic Children'
Nedes Betternaem
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#29 - 2012-04-03 06:52:57 UTC
DarthNefarius wrote:
Destiny Corrupted wrote:
Mr Epeen wrote:

Mr Epeen Cool

bull the counter is giving the people the ISK & a negitive wallet balance in the people who did the margin scam. If they biomass negitive isk accounts all accounts get perma banned .

You can't give them a negative balance through margin scams. The order fails when you try to sell to them. The only way to get a negative wallet balance is by a GM giving it to you as a punishment.
Sentinel Smith
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#30 - 2012-04-03 07:06:24 UTC
I lost..some.. to a Margins scam one night..

Was late, didn't do my normal checks on stuff.. Meh.. Live and learn.
Dbars Grinding
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#31 - 2012-04-03 07:31:25 UTC
you can make a lot of isk from mining.

I have more space likes than you. 

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#32 - 2012-04-03 07:40:30 UTC
Lost 600M to a margin trade scam, was drunk and feeling greedy Oops

Scammer tried to collect tears Cry by Evemail, ended up explaining to me how the scam worked, failed to collect tears.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Rico Minali
Sons Of 0din
Commonwealth Vanguard
#33 - 2012-04-03 07:52:12 UTC
Mine wasnt a scam, just a good old overproced market. I was in a fight, ran out of light missiles in my crow so docked up nearest station, boght the top listing (set by nearest location) and bought a thousand light missiles at 100k each. Not teh biggest scam in history but the most ive lost to anything liek that, and it was at a time when 100 mill was still quite alot of money to me.

Trust me, I almost know what I'm doing.

Nirnias Stirrum
UberWTFBBQ and Battle Technologies
#34 - 2012-04-03 07:58:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Nirnias Stirrum
2 billion isk, was in a rush to buy a cyno gen, so i could help corpie move his carrier, and did not notice that my filter by price had been reversed,

But on the bright side i got all my ISK back, turns out the lowst s/o was from a guy in alliance who gave it all back to me when i contacted him :p

I currently hold the record for buying the most expensive cyno gen in the Geminate area :D
Zarere
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#35 - 2012-04-03 08:04:47 UTC
Bought a catalyst for 810m once, lost it the same evening too :/

Kids, dont play eve when you're high on caffeine and havnt slept for two days, it makes the things seem cheaper.
Savage Creampuff
Vivid Entertainment Group
#36 - 2012-04-03 08:10:22 UTC
i remember buying an iteron 3 for around 470m once when i was in a hurry. had a good laugh at myself for that one
Simi Kusoni
HelloKittyFanclub
#37 - 2012-04-03 08:17:48 UTC
Tanthos wrote:
I'm usually careful, but I did fall for the quafe scam once - paying a million isk for 6 cans of quafe, not realising it was normal quafe and not quafe zero.

Came into this thread with plans of regaling you all with tales of how awesome I am that I have never been scammed. Then I read this comment, and remembered that I fall for that scam about twice a month.

Damn my terrible reading comprehension skills.

[center]"I don't troll, I just give overly blunt responses that annoy people who are wrong but don't want to admit it. It's not my fault that people have sensitive feelings"  -MXZF[/center]

Dyner
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#38 - 2012-04-03 08:20:53 UTC
$74.95/mo

CCP "promised" me epic space stuff but all I do is login and queue skills

I demand a game console be implemented so I can play the future games of EVE-verse while playing EVE.

Or at least hook up my ******* Pay Per View, tired of watching the same 7-ish things on TV Ugh
Miregar Shakor
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#39 - 2012-04-03 08:22:43 UTC
Probably not scam, but one of my ransom victims payed too much (too many zeroes) and I have managed to make the exactly same mistake when I was paying him back the over payment.

So yeah, that ransom I extorted from someone did actually cost me 450M...
Graic Gabtar
The Lemon Party
#40 - 2012-04-03 08:25:58 UTC
Incarna