These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

What's the most you've ever been scammed out of? How?

Author
Spy 21
Doomheim
#1 - 2012-04-03 03:55:36 UTC
If anyone cares to participate and are not too embarrassed to talk about it....

What's the most you've ever been scammed out of? And what was the scam...

Besides the fact I'm just curious, might be a bit of a public service to get some of that stuff out there for others to see and perhaps save them the similar fate.

My own story is pretty run of the mill and sheer stupidity.

It was the old, reverse the quantity and price trick on a faction ammo market order. Ie... the market price for a certain faction projectile ammo I was looking for was approximately 950 ISK...

Well someone had listed 950 units of this ammo at somewhere around 145000 ISK each... I was in a hurry and bot it without even reading the actual buy window... cost me, what, 138 million give or take?

Cute little scam and it only works when someone was in an extreme hurry and had their market window sorted backwards. Worked on me.... I sent the guy an attaboy.

Obfuscation for the WIN on page 3...

Brock Nelson
#2 - 2012-04-03 03:57:59 UTC
10 seconds for reading this

Signature removed, CCP Phantom

Spy 21
Doomheim
#3 - 2012-04-03 03:59:28 UTC
Brock Nelson wrote:
10 seconds for reading this

boo

Jaroslav Unwanted
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2012-04-03 04:00:16 UTC
nothing ..

or everything i gave for free to people i knew from certain chanell, claiming to be new in EVE/ or sort of new.
So it ranges from 0-few bills.
Grumpy Owly
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#5 - 2012-04-03 04:00:19 UTC
-1,000,000 isk (yes negative)

I scammed a scammer with a doubling method, either that or he was in fact brutally honest about the isk he wanted to give away despite me saying I wanted to test the situation before making a significant contribution. Blink

Sorry if this goes againt the spirit of the thread but thought it might be of interest.
Oberlyn Oahl
Doomheim
#6 - 2012-04-03 04:02:03 UTC
A Brutix... thought it was actually going to be a 1v1 when I took from the can.
Ai Shun
#7 - 2012-04-03 04:02:54 UTC
0 thus far. Most of the scams I've encountered have been fairly easy to spot. Now if we want to talk about ISK lost through stupid mistakes, I could probably help write you a book Lol
Tanthos
Tanthos Corp
#8 - 2012-04-03 04:24:24 UTC
I'm usually careful, but I did fall for the quafe scam once - paying a million isk for 6 cans of quafe, not realising it was normal quafe and not quafe zero.
Kehro Urgus
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2012-04-03 04:29:06 UTC
Nothing yet. I did once nearly buy a whackload of drones that some joker put on market with two extra zeroes.

Yeeee! 

Foodpimp
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2012-04-03 04:57:42 UTC
15.95 a month....Subscription
Destiny Corrupted
Deadly Viper Kitten Mitten Sewing Company
Senpai's Afterschool Anime and Gaming Club
#11 - 2012-04-03 05:06:23 UTC
Haven't ever been scammed for a single ISK. And surprisingly, most people haven't been scammed either. It's just that the ones that have make scamming an extremely profitable profession.

I wrote some true EVE stories! And no, they're not of the generic "my 0.0 alliance had lots of 0.0 fleets and took a lot of 0.0 space" sort. Check them out here:

https://truestories.eveonline.com/users/2074-destiny-corrupted

Radelix Cisko
JUMP DRIVE ACTIVE
#12 - 2012-04-03 05:11:03 UTC
Checking in with no scams.

Despite my posting prowess I really am terrible at this game

Spy 21
Doomheim
#13 - 2012-04-03 05:25:58 UTC
Foodpimp wrote:
15.95 a month....Subscription

Favorite so far.

I just realized why I'm not seeing positive responses....

People who read the forums don't get scammed

Of course ....

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#14 - 2012-04-03 05:32:16 UTC
Robbed of BPOs, materials and ships by a director of a corp. Can't be helped unfortunately ~1.8 - 2 bil. Coulda been much worse lol.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

Tobias Sjodin
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#15 - 2012-04-03 05:35:51 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Can't be helped unfortunately .

This line of thought is exactly why people get scammed. They think it's some kind of random event, like a flashflood or a tsunami. You don't get scammed; by using your brain, that's how you "help" yourself.

Ronald Reagan: I do not like Sweden, they support communism. Minister: Sir, but Sweden are anti-communist, Sir.  Ronald Reagan: I do not care what kind of communists they are.

Nedes Betternaem
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#16 - 2012-04-03 05:36:59 UTC
I fell for a can flipper back in 08... does that count? Cannot remember ever falling for a scam as far as money transactions are concerned.
Im Super Gay
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#17 - 2012-04-03 05:37:59 UTC
0.01 isk - double your isk scam
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#18 - 2012-04-03 05:47:45 UTC
Tobias Sjodin wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
Can't be helped unfortunately .

This line of thought is exactly why people get scammed. They think it's some kind of random event, like a flashflood or a tsunami. You don't get scammed; by using your brain, that's how you "help" yourself.

No... I mean I was in a corp for a long time, and one of the Directors that was there for a long time before me, had it on the books to rob everyone. Yes, If I kept all my stuff in a high sec pos and contributed nothing to the corp maybe it could be helped, but when you are running a manufacturing pos and the director drops the password and takes everything while you are offline, it cant be helped.
In this situation the only way you help is like I did. Keep reserves so you don't get completely ruined by it.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

Destiny Corrupted
Deadly Viper Kitten Mitten Sewing Company
Senpai's Afterschool Anime and Gaming Club
#19 - 2012-04-03 06:09:55 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Yes, If I kept all my stuff in a high sec pos and contributed nothing to the corp maybe it could be helped

I think you kind of answered your own question there.

I wrote some true EVE stories! And no, they're not of the generic "my 0.0 alliance had lots of 0.0 fleets and took a lot of 0.0 space" sort. Check them out here:

https://truestories.eveonline.com/users/2074-destiny-corrupted

Nedes Betternaem
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#20 - 2012-04-03 06:13:44 UTC
Destiny Corrupted wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
Yes, If I kept all my stuff in a high sec pos and contributed nothing to the corp maybe it could be helped

I think you kind of answered your own question there.

1/10, too obvious
123Next pageLast page