These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Shorter station names in the overview

Author
Liz Arji
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1 - 2012-03-28 12:39:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Liz Arji
It's nice that we got shorter names for stargates in the overview in 1.6. Now to have the name column actually less wide, it would also be nice to have shorter station names. They're actually even longer than (the old) stargate names and the main reason for me to have a wide name column.

Currently most of the space is taken up by the planet name, planet number and moon number of the station. This could be simplified to something like: [planet number]/[moon number] [station name]. No need for the planet name (since they're always named after the system) or the word "moon".

This could of course be optional, if somebody really likes the longcat names for some reason.

I put this into a new thread because CCP PrismX more or less asked me to, so he won't forget about it:

CCP Prism X wrote:
Liz Arji wrote:
malaire wrote:
Reason is probably that you can see destination name without needing wide Name-column.

K, now do that same thing for station names please, they're the main reason for me to have a wide name column.

Could be simplified to [planet number]/[moon number] [station name]. No need for the planet name (since they're always named after the system) or the word "moon".

That is actually quite simple to do and we could easily retain the system names in search results to facilitate station search by systemID. Only real annoyance would be player owned outposts who are handled a bit differently.. but it's no biggie.

I'll of course probably forget this suggestion in the coming hours as I'll start dealing with deployment fallout. It wouldn't be a bad idea to start a thread on the topic so we can gauge the general reception of the idea and send me an eveMail with a link to it once it gets somewhere. Blink
Serge Bastana
GWA Corp
#2 - 2012-03-28 12:58:15 UTC
They can easily keep the planet > moon prefix on the right click menu and on the tooltip that pops up on mouse over, just shorten it for the overview.

WoW holds your hand until end game, and gives you a cookie whether you win or lose. EVE not only takes your cookie, but laughs at you for bringing one in the first place...

Qen Tye
In Between
#3 - 2012-03-28 15:12:50 UTC
./signed

Two possibilities exists: Either we are alone in the universeĀ or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.

• Arthur C. Clarke
Merciful Deletion
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#4 - 2012-03-28 16:06:54 UTC
./signed
Astroniomix
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#5 - 2012-03-28 16:38:01 UTC
./signed
zerush
Zulu Technologies
#6 - 2012-03-28 18:20:45 UTC
Would be so awesome!

Like to have it like this:

IV - 4 - Caldari Navy Assembly Plant

Even better would be some options to select:
[ ] show solar system name on stations
[ ] show corporation names on stations

So one could even shorten it to:

IV - 4

But maybe thats not really needed, you can just make the column smaller and cut it off.

Or have the corp name shown in the "corporation" column?
Liz Arji
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#7 - 2012-03-28 19:30:56 UTC
zerush wrote:
IV - 4 - Caldari Navy Assembly Plant

I like this even more than my "/" inbetween!

zerush wrote:
Even better would be some options to select:
[ ] show solar system name on stations
[ ] show corporation names on stations

So one could even shorten it to:

IV - 4

That can be tricky since there is sometimes more than one station at the same moon.
Miang Hawwa
Amphysvena
#8 - 2012-03-29 06:30:18 UTC
./signed
Anton Abo
State War Academy
Caldari State
#9 - 2012-03-29 15:29:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Anton Abo
Supported.

But actually I would go further than just stations and stargates.

Asteroids come in mind, as Asteroid(Veldspar) has the same issues than stations and stargates. I'm sure there are other examples, please feel free to point them out.

So what about changing all those as well ?

Copy pasted from another thread, my suggestions were :

"Anton Abo" wrote:
Station :
[ IV-3 Spacelane Patrol Logistics Support ]

or alteratively, since Roman numbers don't sort well :
[ 4-3 Spacelane Patrol Logistics Support ]

Stargate :
( Crielere )
or
< Crielere >

Asteroids :
* Veldspar *

But actually I don't like the Roman numerals, since in order they would read :
I
II
III
IV
IX Ugh
V
VI
VII
VIII
X
zerush
Zulu Technologies
#10 - 2012-03-31 11:09:01 UTC
Did you send an eveMail to CCP Prism X informing him about this thread?

Would be cool if we get this feature rather quick than soon(tm) Cool
Kusum Fawn
Perkone
Caldari State
#11 - 2012-03-31 20:15:47 UTC
I prefer things like

Jita 4/4 - CNAP

there may be a lot of similar names for corps but the system tells me a lot about what it is.
but when you are actually in system (which is what i believe you are talking about)
4/4 CNAP or 4-4 CNAP would be wonderful

there is no reason to have the system name on every thing. general signage outside of airports dont include the name of the state or town that it is in.

Main street, is main street,

not

New York, Queens, Flushing Main Street
(System, Planet, Moon, Station)

Its not possible to please all the people all the time, but it sure as hell is possible to Displease all the people, most of the time.

Ilandrin Yona
Doomheim
#12 - 2012-04-01 05:38:09 UTC
I think it would be cool if stations had actual unique names. Like in the first Eve novel the characters dock at a station named "Laredo Station". I know that doesn't tell you who owns the station, but I've always found it rather odd that only a single corporation occupies an entire station. If stations are essentially cities in space then shouldn't there be several corporations in residence on each one?

As usual, I just think it would be cool if New Eden felt more like a real place.

... ..... ....... ... ..... ....... ... ..... ....... ... ..... ....... ... ..... .......

My Eve Biography:

Ilandrin Yona

Gizan
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#13 - 2012-04-01 07:15:09 UTC
Kusum Fawn wrote:
I prefer things like

Jita 4/4 - CNAP

there may be a lot of similar names for corps but the system tells me a lot about what it is.
but when you are actually in system (which is what i believe you are talking about)
4/4 CNAP or 4-4 CNAP would be wonderful

^^ this!!!
Liz Arji
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#14 - 2012-04-02 07:21:25 UTC
zerush wrote:
Did you send an eveMail to CCP Prism X informing him about this thread?

Would be cool if we get this feature rather quick than soon(tm) Cool

I did. But I'll remind him again, since he didn't reply here.
Liz Arji
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#15 - 2012-04-12 09:22:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Liz Arji
I have to bump because the thread got positive replies only and there's no dev answer yet. What?

Yes, I'm a persistent one. Twisted
Altair Raja
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#16 - 2012-04-12 12:43:28 UTC
./signed

AFK cloaking doesn't earn anything, so it needs a buff!

Cujoo Ell
Pandemic Horde Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#17 - 2012-04-17 09:32:42 UTC
./signed
Lina Miaoke
The Legion of Spoon
Curatores Veritatis Alliance
#18 - 2012-04-18 14:27:52 UTC
Supported! Reading 9 is quicker than VIII. Current numerical system is annoying and OLD... Literately! Shocked
Tanya Powers
Doomheim
#19 - 2012-04-18 14:32:18 UTC
YES !!

It's already a pain in the ass to have all those windows wasting that beautiful space and ships graphics...
ROCK MELTER
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#20 - 2012-04-23 23:48:18 UTC
Signed!
12Next page