These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

EVE - The Brigand Sandbox

Author
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#81 - 2012-04-01 01:50:41 UTC
In this aspect EVE differs from reality in one major way.

In reality morality is spelled out for you, and laws are in place to make sure you adhere to them. Others take responsibility for making sure those laws are enforced.

In EVE you are responsible for determining your own morality, and for developing the resources necessary to enforce it. YOU take responsibility for creating and enforcing the code of conduct you wish yourself and others to follow.

If you actually feel such morality doesn't exist in EVE (which is, of course, untrue) then that speaks to a failing on your part, not anyone else.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Demon Azrakel
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#82 - 2012-04-01 01:55:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Demon Azrakel
OK, am I the only one who does not scam, have not suicide ganked, and not been what many would consider an psycopathic *******, and yet still do not believe that those actions are bad and should be discouraged.

Also, the people throwing around words like "cyber-bullying" are horribly misrepresenting the situation. A dude suggested ingame harassment of a 37(47?)-year-old male player via legitimate ingame tactics, but crossed the line with his reasoning. I agree that the "to kill himself" was over the line, but I have no problem with anything short of that.

No one should be immune to ridicule and contempt for their actions in EVE, nor for their attempt to bring their own ****** life into EVE. In every post scam/gank conversation you have in EVE, a player will (and should) usually assume that someone is lying for pity or to make you feel bad (EDIT: Unless they say they will kill themselves, in which case remember to petition before continuing your scam).
Nefertari IX
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#83 - 2012-04-01 03:11:32 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:

....90% of the people I've met in this game are normal folks, sure they like to collect tears.......

Normal folks don't collect tears.
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#84 - 2012-04-01 04:23:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Nefertari IX wrote:
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:

....90% of the people I've met in this game are normal folks, sure they like to collect tears.......

maybe not IRL, they certainly do in game. I've been pirated by people who are in healthcare, law enforcement, retail etc, Eve is a fantasy where you get to be what you want to be, an alter ego or evil twin of yourself or god forbid, even yourself. Some of the people in game may actually be low down, backstabbing, thieving, scheming, conniving scum IRL but they're definitely in the minority.

Paraphrasing to fit in with eve, the french philosopher Voltaire once said "I may not agree with what you do but I will defend to the death your right to do it"

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#85 - 2012-04-01 07:08:40 UTC
Nefertari IX wrote:
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:

"Normal folks" like to play games that allow them to play fictional heroic or villainous characters, as well as read books or watch movies about them.

Abnormal folks don't understand this and have a hard time separating fantasy and imagination from reality.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#86 - 2012-04-01 08:27:03 UTC
Aylleen wrote:
The mechanics of the so-called EVE's sandbox has created a pervasive gaming culture where every foul behavior normally not condoned in the real world- short of breaking the EULA/TOS - is allowed, even encouraged. Griefing, ganking, bashing, lying, cheating, killing, mass-murdering. That's the brigand mindset that EVE has created.

"EVE is Real", advertises CCP. Recently we found out that it's actually true. We saw that a supposedly normal, decent person cannot keep separate mindsets -one good, another bad. Forcefully the bad one will prevail, and illegal acts may be perpetrated. We also saw that not even CCP is able to make a judgement call based upon the laws of the country. CCP has been promoted as the ultimate court instance and law upholder. A 30-day ban is the ultimate punishment for an illegal act commited. A private apology and monetary compensation - made virtually using in-game tools - is substitute for a real-world hearing in front of a flesh-and-bones judge.

Everyone is lacking a moral compass, including EVE's sandbox.

Yes, EVE is all about brigands. Those who excel in the art of being a bad criminal are glorified, promoted, and politically supported. This is an important factor to explain why EVE - after almost 10 years after launch - remains a niche game. It's a cult, a sect, a religion of a minority who mostly seek an outlet to nurture their bad side.

There is no place for those like me that would like to create a better future by engaging in law-abiding activities. If EVE were really a sandbox, we "carebears" would have tools at our disposal to seek, promote, and even enforce our way of life against the brigands pounding at our doors.

A brigand game - what would you expect from Icelanders descended from Vikings?

You're talking about the people making threatening phone calls to Alex Gianturco's house, saying that they're going to kill him, even shoot his dog, right?

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Amitious Turkey
10kSubnautic
Warriors of the Blood God
#87 - 2012-04-01 17:24:46 UTC
Lapine Davion wrote:
Nephilius wrote:
Eve is no sandbox. It's more a kitty litter box.

Did you ever have a sandbox when you were a kid? Cats **** in those all the time.

I thought those were little logs Sad

I like to lick things.

Haunting the forums since 03.

Nikoli Chechnov
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#88 - 2012-04-01 17:42:40 UTC
This is eve online, a hyper capitalism simulator centered around dictatorship lead nullsec alliances vying for economic and military domination of each other. At some point even test and goons will have differences, such is the way of null.

If that does not sound bleak to you then you've got problem.
The only way to survive in EVE is to forge your own alliances and in essence, **** people over in order to profit.
The reason you must screw them is because they want the same resources you do, and you will fight for it, win or lose.

Basically yes, we're brigands, pirates, scumbags and scammers, to those who are our competition.
Azrael Cayne
Asgardsreien
#89 - 2012-04-01 18:47:03 UTC
Don't like brigands?

1. Stay In Hisec
  2. Don't haul anything worth ganking
  3. Never leave the NPC corp (so as not to get wardecced)
  4. Don't fly hulks
  5. Grind all day, everyday in the hopes you can one day beat the system when you have 'enough' ISK to do what you want

Welcome to your second job.
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#90 - 2012-04-01 23:45:20 UTC
Azrael Cayne wrote:
Don't like brigands?

1. Stay In Hisec
  4. Don't fly hulks
  5. Grind all day, everyday in the hopes you can one day beat the system when you have 'enough' ISK to do what you want

^^ completely ignore this list, go and play something else, problem solved.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

OfBalance
Caldari State
#91 - 2012-04-01 23:48:56 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Azrael Cayne wrote:
Don't like brigands?

1. Stay In Hisec
  4. Don't fly hulks

I hear there's a tank game for this expressed purpose.
Jaroslav Unwanted
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#92 - 2012-04-02 00:35:09 UTC
Rico Minali wrote:
Everyone has exactly the same tools at their disposal, its what you do with them that counts.

same tools, different mind-set.. Deal with it..
Just the fact i can get AK-47 and three clips for around 250 dollars doesnt mean i should make such investment and kill for fun.
But i definitely can. We all have the same exact tools, just chose not to use them. "Different mind-set is an obstacle there.

So in the game terms. It means become the one we consider "corrupt".
Jaroslav Unwanted
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#93 - 2012-04-02 00:36:33 UTC
OfBalance wrote:
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Azrael Cayne wrote:
Don't like brigands?

1. Stay In Hisec
  4. Don't fly hulks

I hear there's a tank game for this expressed purpose.

yep its were most people from EVE are now .. well at least most people i played with. Big smile
Grimpak
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#94 - 2012-04-02 00:47:38 UTC
so... people are complaining that a game world designed to be a dark, cruel and horrible place to live is actually a dark, cruel and horrible place to live.

...I don't get it.

[img]http://eve-files.com/sig/grimpak[/img]

[quote]The more I know about humans, the more I love animals.[/quote] ain't that right

Ai Shun
#95 - 2012-04-02 00:57:29 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:
Nefertari IX wrote:
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:

"Normal folks" like to play games that allow them to play fictional heroic or villainous characters, as well as read books or watch movies about them.

Abnormal folks don't understand this and have a hard time separating fantasy and imagination from reality.

I need to bookmark this post. It is a very eloquent way of expressing what I feel about some of the players in EVE Online.
Im Super Gay
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#96 - 2012-04-02 01:16:43 UTC
RougeOperator wrote:

"She was totally asking for it. Look how she was dressed."

Hmmmmm food for thought.

More like, "Guys I parked my lambo in Harlem, left the keys in the ignition and the doors unlocked and somebody stole it! Can you believe that?!?!?!?!?"