These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Intergalactic Summit

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Vanquish the Devourer! 4.27.114

Author
Thgil Goldcore
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#21 - 2012-03-30 17:59:23 UTC
Celebrations relating to breaking a peace treaty and murdering millions, throwing the entire cluster into an un-needed war which will kill untold billions...

Very poor taste.
Elsebeth Rhiannon
Gradient
Electus Matari
#22 - 2012-03-30 18:01:33 UTC
We did the Renouncing all through the peace too. And before.

If it comes as a surprise to you that the Evil God and opposing him feature strongly in Matari mythology, I assure you that it is not a new invention, and as such can hardly be blamed for the state of the cluster.
Thgil Goldcore
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#23 - 2012-03-30 18:25:02 UTC
Well I guess if those genocidal tenancies are a tradition its ok then. Carry on then, don't let me bother you.
Safai
Yaqin
#24 - 2012-03-30 18:31:41 UTC
Kikia Truzhari wrote:
Were you to have shown any prior interest in the affairs of tribal society your request may have been considered, but prior to this point, I have not seen you show any curiosity at all. This makes me highly suspicious you must understand. I believe we will need to talk further if this is something you really wish to pursue.

This is a fully understandable position and I respect your skepticism. My heart is not unmoved by the trials your people have been put through—though I admit there is still much history I am still learning—and I do feel the plight of the Matari is something that could only be ignored by those of the most reprehensible morality.

However, I feel continuing this discourse in public will inevitably lead to prejudice and comments in poor taste, so we shall have a private discussion on the matter sometime in the near future.
Morwen Lagann
Tyrathlion Interstellar
#25 - 2012-03-30 19:35:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Morwen Lagann
Thgil Goldcore wrote:
Well I guess if those genocidal tenancies are a tradition its ok then. Carry on then, don't let me bother you.

I have no idea where you're getting "genocidal tendencies" out of this celebration of a new year, and I doubt anyone else does either.

But, of course, in that vein, apparently slavery being a tradition makes it okay. Roll

The logic works both ways, Thiggy. If being a tradition doesn't make "genocidal tendencies" okay, then it doesn't make slavery okay either - and some might argue that slavery is a genocidal tendency, albeit a slow-acting one.

That aside, sounds like the celebrations should be a lot of fun for those lucky enough to go. Good luck with your preparations.

Morwen Lagann

CEO, Tyrathlion Interstellar

Coordinator, Arataka Research Consortium

Owner, The Golden Masque

Elsebeth Rhiannon
Gradient
Electus Matari
#26 - 2012-03-30 19:38:36 UTC
Oh, I am sure the ritual only speaks of getting rid of the Evil God, not getting rid of all His followers after He's been dealt with.
Thgil Goldcore
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#27 - 2012-03-30 20:09:16 UTC
I keep wondering why you address me as Thiggy. Typically only my closest friends and family do so... its a little disconcerting.

I guess I shouldn't get into arms over such a thing, being as trivial as it is. Curious when you decided it was appropriate though.

Regardless, I have spent far too much time on the front-line dealing with republic solders to know very well that if given the chance they would slay every son and daughter of Amarr if they only could. One constant between republic forces is how much raw hate they feel. Even this festival is about hate, for Amarr culture and way of life. I can very easily point out the damage done to planets by the elder attack. More than a few non-holder residences and commercial buildings (and naturally the people inside) where reduced to ash.

Its funny, I don't feel such emotions of hate towards the Minmatar people. Rather the contrary, there are many who are quite honorable and deserve to be recognized more than they have. I can point to almost my entire stock of servants and it fills me with pride knowing how well the serve me and the cluster as a whole.
Elsebeth Rhiannon
Gradient
Electus Matari
#28 - 2012-03-30 20:23:16 UTC
Welcome to a war.

There will be warriors on both sides who would commit genocide if they had the means. There will also be people on both sides that are honorable in their own way.
Arkady Sadik
Gradient
Electus Matari
#29 - 2012-03-30 20:33:29 UTC
It's always amusing that the followers of the only empire to ever have actually committed genocide are so quick to see threats of genocide from others.

Let's hope your fears do not come true, and your enemies treat you better than you treat them.
Gosakumori Noh
Coven of One
#30 - 2012-03-30 20:35:03 UTC
If I might interject for a moment, I had not previously been aware the Matari recognized an "Evil God." I fully admit that this is in no small part due to my myopic fixation upon the more shall-we-say-"earthy" totemic practices of Matar and her environs - particularly the bacchanals of bouncy Sebiestor football teams in my employ.

Is this "Evil God" a member of the indigenous Matari pantheon?

It seems contrary to the mechanic of tribal religion for there to be an overarching force of "Evil." My first reaction, of course, was to imagine that this "Evil God" is intended to be the God of Amarr - but quaint moral titles aside, introducing such a concept into the native religion has significant cultural implications.
Kuan Yida
Huang Yinglong
Electus Matari
#31 - 2012-03-30 22:59:45 UTC
In the annals of the Vherokior clans, the All-Devourer is the greatest and most evil of Demons, an ever-hungry fiend of great destructive power, and since the Darkest Times has generally been considered to be the God that all Amarr worship.

As the keeper of Historical Annals for Huang Yinglong, we believe that seven great Vherokior shamans banished the Devourer long ago, but that evil sorcerers have managed to resurrect and free the demon many times in the past. (ooc: apologies to Iron Man).

The dragon knight treasures the state, friendship, duty, promises, kindness, vengeance, honor, and righteousness more than his own life._ _- The Way of the Dragon Warrior Random Posts from Auga

Kikia Truzhari
Teraa Matar
#32 - 2012-03-30 23:17:04 UTC
It conforms to the idea of everything containing a spirit. The trees, the plants, the animals, even the nations of humans. The Evil God is seen by some as Nidhoggr, the dragon chewing at the roots of the the worldtree, representative of all that which wishes to end the wheel of time, and destroy the fabric of reality. Its viewed by others as just the spirit of the Empire, bent on spreading and consuming everything as it has across its own world and then out into the stars like a plague.

Our ritual is not out of hatred for the empire or its people, I have no quarrel with the average Imperial Citizen, my problem is with the system. The hierarchies that keep the slavers in power and my people in bondage. The spirit of that evil force that bends the empire towards the idea that all must be like them and they must rule over all. We wish to vanquish it and alter the course of history within the cluster.
Gosakumori Noh
Coven of One
#33 - 2012-03-30 23:22:37 UTC
Kuan Yida wrote:
As the keeper of Historical Annals for Huang Yinglong, we believe that seven great Vherokior shamans banished the Devourer long ago, but that evil sorcerers have managed to resurrect and free the demon many times in the past.

That's very intriguing. Clearly, I must make time to visit Matari space. I've been meaning to do that ever since my discovery of a lupine cult; but now this, and the possibility of finding dancers, well, surely, it is a sign...
Uraniae Fehrnah
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#34 - 2012-03-31 00:21:16 UTC
Arkady Sadik wrote:
It's always amusing that the followers of the only empire to ever have actually committed genocide are so quick to see threats of genocide from others.

Let's hope your fears do not come true, and your enemies treat you better than you treat them.

The only empire to have committed genocide? Really? Last I checked all five Concord recognized empires are guilty of that, and not just on one occasion.

But not to stray too far from the point of Kikia's announcement...

I'd very much like to attend and enjoy the festivities. Obviously that desire might ruffle some feathers so I'll contact you privately regarding questions and details.
Boma Airaken
Perkone
Caldari State
#35 - 2012-03-31 00:57:07 UTC
Well I guess I will just show up anyways. It is too intriguing to miss and I have no fear of those in attendance.
Aquila Shadow
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#36 - 2012-03-31 01:17:24 UTC
Boma Airaken wrote:
Well I guess I will just show up anyways. It is too intriguing to miss and I have no fear of those in attendance.

I’m sure your god would be happy to meet you in person. Remember Boma, once you’re out of that pod your just another mass murderer of slaves surrounded by vengeful Minmatar.

"Let Vigilance Be Your Sword"

Boma Airaken
Perkone
Caldari State
#37 - 2012-03-31 02:14:45 UTC
Aquila Shadow wrote:
Boma Airaken wrote:

I’m sure your god would be happy to meet you in person. Remember Boma, once you’re out of that pod your just another mass murderer of slaves surrounded by vengeful Minmatar.

I am Zhayedan Sardir. I have the Jaadu. You think I do not know death? Think of whom you speak to in this way, Muzaa. I am immortal beyond even the rebirth of the Intaki. I am permanent. I fear nothing, for to a Zhayedan God's love is his cruelty. There is duality in everything. Kill me a million times and I remain.
Kikia Truzhari
Teraa Matar
#38 - 2012-03-31 04:00:12 UTC
Can we shift the focus of this back away from Boma and his cult? I believe enough of the forum is taking up by his talking without it here, if he keeps trying to stir up things, just ignore him. Don't feed him the attention he's after.
Scherezad
Revenent Defence Corperation
Ishuk-Raata Enforcement Directive
#39 - 2012-03-31 06:05:17 UTC
Kikia Truzhari wrote:
Can we shift the focus of this back away from Boma and his cult? I believe enough of the forum is taking up by his talking without it here, if he keeps trying to stir up things, just ignore him. Don't feed him the attention he's after.

I am interested in attending, if I am welcome. I have put off a visit to Matari space for too long, and this sounds like a lovely opportunity to get to know your ways firsthand! Is that acceptable?
Kikia Truzhari
Teraa Matar
#40 - 2012-03-31 09:31:27 UTC
Schere, that'd be fine, I've added your registration. You're actually the first one.