These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Science & Industry

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

What are some hidden gems in starting an eve business?

Author
Aurel Svenson
Cyclone Solutions
#21 - 2012-03-29 22:18:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Aurel Svenson
Nah, there's a time and a place for BPOs. I'm around the 3B ISK mark and I've just started making them, but only for small items with prints <30M to make (150k/hour research fee assumed). I'm still getting enough turnover on my assets that even a cruiser BPO would require millions in profit per cruiser to offer an economic profit. Later, when I'm getting less turnover, that value will decrease by quite a lot.

It's too bad you can't rent BPOs without collateral...

My point is that if you have a lot of capital invested in making a particular item you're stuck making that particular item and you lose flexibility and you also lose working capital. It's true that BPOs do not depreciate, but neither do they appreciate so they have an opportunity cost associated with them equal to your daily turnover% multiplied by the value of the blueprint, per day. At the beginning you'll have a high daily turnover% so BPOs don't make much sense, and researching ME in public slots is suboptimal, to say the least. Increase your assets enough that a small POS is worthwhile due to the enhanced production speed and then you also have access to fast ME, PE and copy slots with no wait (and you'll probably grow fast enough that this happens before you get ME time in a public slot).

Edit: okay, I was way off on the cost of cruiser BPOs. Much more reasonable.
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#22 - 2012-03-29 22:58:42 UTC
Welp, it's been a year. I have 3 invented BPC's for 9 Bustards. I should bake a few and see what happens......

Anyway, here is a little Mass Attack:

"In the end the carebear persists and continues on with their lives and game. You mistake their lack of interest in combat as an inability to know how to defend themselves, and you far far superior and much braver players scuttle around game mechanics for some kind of weakness.
I'm not sure how anyone can arrive at the conclusion that this level of stubborness and resilience is weakness. I won't burden you with logic you can't grasp."

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Rutherford Rainman
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#23 - 2012-03-30 04:16:14 UTC
One thing that I feel a lot of people overlook sometimes is the actual demand for the items you make. For example, in a perfect world I could make 8 million isk/hour making Capital Nuclear Reactors, but the fact of the matter is that nobody wants Capital Nuclear Reactors. I'm very picky about what I make, let alone buy a BPO for. Generally, I like to make sure that the prices are fairly stable over a three month period as well as being in constant demand. The drawback to making an item in constant demand however is the fact that generally the more stable items are stable because there are dozens of people making that same item, meaning profit margins are slim.
Jas Dor
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#24 - 2012-03-30 05:07:33 UTC
Tekota wrote:
Well I'm a manufacturer and I have to say it tweaked the needle on my nonsense meter a little too.

I'm not saying BPCs (for manufacturing, rather than invention) are a *bad* idea, and certainly not a bad idea in all circumstances but bearing in mind that margins on a very good chunk of T1 is very slim one often finds that BPC cost effectively eats all (or even more) of your profit.

Generally I'd say that if a BPO is too expensive at a given stage in career then look for cheaper BPOs rather than go straight to BPCs - the profit per slot per day does not always correlate with the cost of the BPO, and quite often the reverse is true.

Naturally I'd consider these rough rules of thumb, the only sure fire answer is as already suggested: lrn2 spreadsheet.

I think he's talking about buying BPCs to do short runs into price spikes. It's not a bad idea per se, but its going to require a lot of active tweaking to pull off.
Director Producer
LRC Inc.
#25 - 2012-03-30 07:33:41 UTC
These are tons of cheap BPO's (<15M isk), quite fast to research, allowing you to make large profits.
However you will have to go looking for them by yourselft, that is the fun part Big smile
Aurel Svenson
Cyclone Solutions
#26 - 2012-03-30 10:19:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Aurel Svenson
Director Producer wrote:
These are tons of cheap BPO's (<15M isk), quite fast to research, allowing you to make large profits.
However you will have to go looking for them by yourselft, that is the fun part Big smile

I don't think he's in a position to do ME research on a timeline shorter than 3 weeks, and 15M is not that cheap since most of those you refer to can probably (I'm assuming you're referring to modules) be had in 1500 run copies for 500k that'll last weeks - and working capital is critical in a small venture. If he's producing mods 15M might be quite a few production slot-hours of capital.
Director Producer
LRC Inc.
#27 - 2012-03-30 10:47:51 UTC
I am not talking about mods BPO.

When I said <15M, it means from 200k isk to 15M.
Do not focus on the 15M only.

Anyway you are right on one point : researching ME is quite difficult in HS.
However some BPO's can be profitable without any research.

As I said : take the time to find them and do your homework Blink

Ajita al Tchar
Doomheim
#28 - 2012-03-30 11:36:23 UTC
Aurel Svenson wrote:
Director Producer wrote:

I don't think he's in a position to do ME research on a timeline shorter than 3 weeks, and 15M is not that cheap since most of those you refer to can probably (I'm assuming you're referring to modules) be had in 1500 run copies for 500k that'll last weeks - and working capital is critical in a small venture. If he's producing mods 15M might be quite a few production slot-hours of capital.

FYI these days max runs on module BPCs is 300. Some 1500 BPCs can still be found if they were made pre-Crucible, but there aren't many of those at all.
Aluka 7th
#29 - 2012-03-30 15:16:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Aluka 7th
Here is the list of T1 stuff you can produce with nice profit (you need to check for competition in specific region):

1.Ammo - focus on L laser crystals, all ammo of XL size (sell in hubs) and mining crystals (sell where miners mine a lot)
Smaller ammo miners produce to convert part of their mining supply to dirty cheap ammo so they can sell more minerals overall.
Mining crystal use only nocxium but are very big per unit. So its good to bring or buy locally nocxium and use BPOs/BPCs to manufacture on site near system where miners are.

2.Capital modules (XL guns, XL reps/boosters..)
Go very well and are quite profitable, but each type is good for some period then you should switch to other type when price of the first one drops lower.

3. Drones - fighters, fighter bombers, sentry and EC-XXX.
These drones are used and lost a lot as there is high skill req for T2 version or there is no T2 version like EWAR/fighter drones.

4. POS modules
Don't require ME research on BPO but some PE like 4 or more is nice for faster production.
Use PI mats from market and produce this stuff.

5. POS fuel blocks

6. Mobile warp disruption bubbles

7. Bomb launcher + bombs

Some of the researched BPOs for these things I have extra sets from 0.0 when we disbanded so drop me a mail if you need them.

I would recommend that people fresh to manufacturing avoid Tech 1 ship production.
There are few issues/details about ship production.

1.Small volume can be produced per day per production line
Battle ships (BS) - 6 per day.
Cruiser (C) - 9 per day.
Frigates (F) - 18 per day.
(x1.25 with researched P.E.)

2.BPO prices -> use BPC to test water
For anything bigger then frigate use researched BPCs (10run researched copies for BS cost 10mil or less so that's <1mil extra to count in per battleship). Only when you have production going for some time and specific ship sells well you should invest in BPO and get it researched.

3.Materials
Biggest problem is material supply. Even for cheapest BS we are talking about 30mil of Tritanium, 7mil of pyerite, 2mil of Mexalon, 500k of isogen, 200k of nocx, 30k of zydrine and 10k of megacyte per day per production line (that is 400000m3) AND that climbs to 3x the amount for the best BS. So check if you can buy that locally without raising prices on the local market to much or you can transport but it will cost you.
On the other side getting materials for frigates is easy (for everyone) and they are sold everywhere for small profit and if you count in mentioned fixed production limit of 22pcs per day per production line there are better ways to use that production line.

4.Manufacturing location <-> sale location
Second problem is production location. Good station with enough minerals in vicinity attracts manufacturers so finding good station with enough free production lines is hard because you still want to be relatively close to sale points. Ships are quite big to transport so best solution would be place with free slots, lots of minerals and lots of buyers... I wish you good luck.
Tobiaz
Spacerats
#30 - 2012-03-30 17:29:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Tobiaz
Here's a hidden gem for you: RvB

Centered around Poinen those guys run the biggest ship-grinder of high-sec. Combined, they blow up towards 200B ISK worth of ships and equipment every month. And while they are only a few jumps away from Jita, they are not allowed to enter that system unless using an alt.

So you get a situation where hundreds of active players, many quite wealthy, are willing to pay quite handsomely for the convenience of a well-stocked local market. Some of them go through a dozen of ships a day, often with full T2 kit. Added to this the fact that their shopping lists are directly available on their killboards and they generaly don't require a large diversity of mods, as long as they can buy it in bulk. Lol

They do have some in-house production, but those don't seem to be able to keep up with the demand and they only seem to supply at the homesystem.

Operation WRITE DOWN ALL THE THINGS!!!  Check out the list at http://bit.ly/wdatt Collecting and compiling all fixes and ideas for EVE. Looking for more editors!

WhiteWhiskey
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#31 - 2012-03-30 19:30:06 UTC
Thank you all for your advice, especially Emma Royd for the hook-up with Isk per Hour tool. To admit I already have ammo bpo's all trained to 100 ME 20 PE.....which is overkill but I have OCD...so please don't yell so loudly Lol. I also do some other smaller things..as well.....well i will take my 2 bill in capital and start the research. Thanks.
Aurel Svenson
Cyclone Solutions
#32 - 2012-03-31 12:57:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Aurel Svenson
Ah, okay, you're at much higher capital than I was expecting.

What I'm trying to say about BPOs is that there's an associated trap: when you look for profit, instead of looking at the market you'll look at your BPOs.

If you find something that's stably profitable historical, go ahead and buy a BPO from someone; My Hybris does reasonable custom orders

Setting up a POS might be wise for you because of the relatively small cost associated and the huge increase in production.
Previous page12