These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

Why in god's name would you do that CCP ?

First post
Author
Riper GriM
From rust to dust
#1 - 2012-03-28 11:45:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Riper GriM
World Shaping
Stargates are now named solely for their destination. This means it will now display 'Destination' rather than 'Stargate(destination)'.

WHY ?
Chribba
Otherworld Enterprises
Otherworld Empire
#2 - 2012-03-28 11:47:14 UTC
Sort by type in scanner now because going byt he name will indeed not work at all.

★★★ Secure 3rd party service ★★★

Visit my in-game channel 'Holy Veldspar'

Twitter @ChribbaVeldspar

malaire
#3 - 2012-03-28 11:49:36 UTC
Riper GriM wrote:
World Shaping
Stargates are now named solely for their destination. This means it will now display 'Destination' rather than 'Stargate(destination)'.

WHY ?

Reason is probably that you can see destination name without needing wide Name-column.

New to EVE? Don't forget to read: The Manual * The Wiki * The Career Options * and everything else

Riper GriM
From rust to dust
#4 - 2012-03-28 11:52:26 UTC
Chribba wrote:
Sort by type in scanner now because going byt he name will indeed not work at all.

No but you see, I really liked to name my ships : Stargate (Jita) etc.

I swear to you that it confuses the **** out of people who just make a quick d-scan and don't pay attention to much.

More than once I have been able to drop unnanouced on someone thanks to that.
Misanth
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE
#5 - 2012-03-28 11:54:14 UTC
malaire wrote:
Riper GriM wrote:
World Shaping

WHY ?

Reason is probably that you can see destination name without needing wide Name-column.

Seems typical CCP. Instead of fixing scaling issues in the overview, let's randomly remove something that increases name length.

AFK-cloaking in a system near you.

TheBlueMonkey
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2012-03-28 11:55:48 UTC
soo.... stargates will not longer be grouped if I sort by name.... nice... that's handyStraight
malaire
#7 - 2012-03-28 12:00:07 UTC
TheBlueMonkey wrote:
soo.... stargates will not longer be grouped if I sort by name.... nice... that's handyStraight

CCP could've just renamed them to SG-1, SG-2, etc... Cool

New to EVE? Don't forget to read: The Manual * The Wiki * The Career Options * and everything else

CCP Prism X
C C P
C C P Alliance
#8 - 2012-03-28 12:04:44 UTC
Riper GriM wrote:
WHY ?

Many people had expressed their desire to return back to the old, pre first attempt at localization, representation of stargate names which is what we are doing. I jumped at it because I dislike having an icon for a type on the overview and then the typeName in both the itemName and the typeName fields.

Are there any specific areas where you think you could confuse a stargate name with a solar system name without having any other visual context to differentiate between them? I'd be more than willing to look into it once everything is good and stable.
Riper GriM
From rust to dust
#9 - 2012-03-28 12:07:41 UTC
CCP Prism X wrote:
Riper GriM wrote:
WHY ?

Many people had expressed their desire to return back to the old, pre first attempt at localization, representation of stargate names which is what we are doing. I jumped at it because I dislike having an icon for a type on the overview and then the typeName in both the itemName and the typeName fields.

Are there any specific areas where you think you could confuse a stargate name with a solar system name without having any other visual context to differentiate between them? I'd be more than willing to look into it once everything is good and stable.

Nope, I was more hoping that people would confuse my ship with a stargate when skimming through their d-scan.

So all in all, the change is probably welcome by most. I myself dislike it because it will probably affect my possibility to ambush people. But that's just me really.
Ranshe
Blackwater Task Forces
Goonswarm Federation
#10 - 2012-03-28 12:10:47 UTC
Riper GriM wrote:
I myself dislike it because it will probably affect my possibility to ambush people. But that's just me really.

Or you could, you know, just rename your ships?
Glockshna Quant
Versatility Production Corporation' LLC
#11 - 2012-03-28 12:11:09 UTC
This makes me sad.
malaire
#12 - 2012-03-28 12:11:56 UTC
Riper GriM wrote:
Nope, I was more hoping that people would confuse my ship with a stargate when skimming through their d-scan.

So all in all, the change is probably welcome by most. I myself dislike it because it will probably affect my possibility to ambush people. But that's just me really.

Just rename your ship to solarsystem name?

Riper GriM
From rust to dust
#13 - 2012-03-28 12:12:32 UTC
Ranshe wrote:
Riper GriM wrote:
I myself dislike it because it will probably affect my possibility to ambush people. But that's just me really.

Or you could, you know, just rename your ships?

I think people might pay more attention to a ship with a single name like Jita or Rens than Stargate (Jita) or Stargate (Rens).

99% sure about that.
JeanMichel Bizarre
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#14 - 2012-03-28 12:13:21 UTC
This makes me very happy.

Dangerzone

Zagdul
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2012-03-28 12:17:18 UTC
You should use a bracket or some kind of identifier for sorting this column so that stargates stay near each other when sorting the column.

Or did you think of this and just mask the word stargate?

Dual Pane idea: Click!

CCP Please Implement

malaire
#16 - 2012-03-28 12:20:33 UTC
Zagdul wrote:
You should use a bracket or some kind of identifier for sorting this column so that stargates stay near each other when sorting the column.

Or did you think of this and just mask the word stargate?

Why would stargates be near each other when sorted by name?

Noriko Mai
#17 - 2012-03-28 12:22:00 UTC
JeanMichel Bizarre wrote:
This makes me very happy.

"Meh.." - Albert Einstein

Maluscious Melody
The First Foundation
Legion of xXDEATHXx
#18 - 2012-03-28 12:23:13 UTC
You have stargates on your overview?
Liz Arji
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#19 - 2012-03-28 12:23:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Liz Arji
malaire wrote:

K, now do that same thing for station names please, they're the main reason for me to have a wide name column.

Could be simplified to [planet number]/[moon number] [station name]. No need for the planet name (since they're always named after the system) or the word "moon".
CCP Prism X
C C P
C C P Alliance
#20 - 2012-03-28 12:28:00 UTC
Liz Arji wrote:
malaire wrote:

K, now do that same thing for station names please, they're the main reason for me to have a wide name column.

Could be simplified to [planet number]/[moon number] [station name]. No need for the planet name (since they're always named after the system) or the word "moon".

That is actually quite simple to do and we could easily retain the system names in search results to facilitate station search by systemID. Only real annoyance would be player owned outposts who are handled a bit differently.. but it's no biggie.

I'll of course probably forget this suggestion in the coming hours as I'll start dealing with deployment fallout. It wouldn't be a bad idea to start a thread on the topic so we can gauge the general reception of the idea and send me an eveMail with a link to it once it gets somewhere. Blink
123Next pageLast page