These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Scarlet Letters and Botters

First post First post First post
Author
Ana Vyr
Vyral Technologies
#261 - 2012-03-27 16:03:20 UTC
I'd prefer the red letter was permanent.

I would never ever allow a player who enganged in cheating in my corp, period.
Pyrus Octavius
Flat Earth Believers
#262 - 2012-03-27 16:03:24 UTC
I believe there is really no true benefit to knowing the character name of a botter that has been identified or punished by CCP.

What I think naming and shaming will be do is perpetrate negative behavior towards the individual who has been caught. Even though the true person will remain anonymous this will not deter some of the individuals in the the EvE community who thrive on griefing and harassing.

There is a large negative presence of hate in this game. This hate is fueled by "it's happened to me, so what do I care if I do it to someone else" mentality in this game. It may be a pipe dream, but I wish for shift in this type of negativity in this game. However, I just don't ever see it happening. Over the years, it has gotten worse. I only expect it to get worse. Naming and shaming will only fuel this.

So in closing there is no point to naming and shaming. Issue stricter punishments to the offenders. There should be no double jeopardy.

In closing the only thing I can see naming a character would do is protect a potential buyer that the character they are interested in has been identified as a botter by CCP. However, with CCP's new policy of freezing a character to an account, the need to name and shame is mitigated.

Just my .02.

Mr Kidd
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#263 - 2012-03-27 16:15:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Mr Kidd
hermot wrote:

Casual botters and professional botters alike shouldn't be welcome in the game. So running any type of botters out of the game is for the best i think.

You're looking at it from a principled perspective. Companies can't afford to be principled. They have rules and then they have rules. The first set of rules allows them to get rid of any customer for any reason with little fear of liability. However, if they applied all those rules to the letter they wouldn't have any customers. The second set of rules are so they can deal with troublemakers, the people affecting their business negatively. It allows the company to weigh their potential profits and losses and get rid of people based on that.

The CCP TOS and EULA are so broad as to be able to boot any customer for any reason. Yet if they applied enforcement of their rules in such a manner they would no longer be in business.

Look at it from the perspective of the MPAA and RIAA. Generally, they're only interested in those persons who distribute with a few exceptions. The people who illegally distribute copyrighted content are in direct competition with their constituent companies. These folks are mostly in it to make money off other people's works. The people who are only consumers are potential customers. Yet both are breaking the rules, the laws. One has a fair chance of being reformed. The other does not. But, go after your potential customers at your own risk. Companies that do can then write off them and sympathizers as ever being paying customers.

The principle, here, is the same.

In the matter of the scarlet letter issue, alienating your customers or potential customers by placing them in a category that will undoubtedly result in their being harassed and ostracized will only lose CCP those customers. If the game is no longer any fun, why continue to play it?

Don't ban me, bro!

Fidelium Mortis
Minor Major Miners LLC
#264 - 2012-03-27 16:16:03 UTC
Pyrus Octavius wrote:
I believe there is really no true benefit to knowing the character name of a botter that has been identified or punished by CCP.

What I think naming and shaming will be do is perpetrate negative behavior towards the individual who has been caught. Even though the true person will remain anonymous this will not deter some of the individuals in the the EvE community who thrive on griefing and harassing.

There is a large negative presence of hate in this game. This hate is fueled by "it's happened to me, so what do I care if I do it to someone else" mentality in this game. It may be a pipe dream, but I wish for shift in this type of negativity in this game. However, I just don't ever see it happening. Over the years, it has gotten worse. I only expect it to get worse. Naming and shaming will only fuel this.

So in closing there is no point to naming and shaming. Issue stricter punishments to the offenders. There should be no double jeopardy.

In closing the only thing I can see naming a character would do is protect a potential buyer that the character they are interested in has been identified as a botter by CCP. However, with CCP's new policy of freezing a character to an account, the need to name and shame is mitigated.

Just my .02.

For the most part I agree.

First of all I don't think adding a mark will act as a deterrent, and will make EVE intolerable for people that stop botting and decide to continue playing the game. Where as the people that it should affect - botting rings, systematic botters etc. - will be relatively unaffected since they will likely keep botting and will have their accounts banned eventually.

Perhaps just a security status penalty and fine would be more appropriate.

ICRS - Intergalactic Certified Rocket Surgeon

Lady Zarrina
New Eden Browncoats
#265 - 2012-03-27 16:21:21 UTC
I think this basically would turn into CCP sponsered grief fest. There would have to be a method to be unflagged or they may as well just perma-ban the account to begin with. How they would get unflagged? I have no perfect solution.

One real benefit would be If there was a mechanism to track by corp and alliance the number of known botters. If Corp A is know to have 10 botters, I think it is pretty safe to say, you don't want them in your alliance unless you support botting. And, Alliances with known botters will probably have a few more war-dec, random hi-sec ganks, invading fleets in their area.

Also a way to track known botters on the Eve map might be interesting also? Hmm I see 10 known botters over there, I bet something is going on. But again, this would just lead to CCP endorsed griefing.

Possible Issue
- will CCP be generating more work for themselves. You know that if someone is publicly marked for being a known botter, a certain percentage of players will just follow them for hours and if they see anything, and I mean anything, occur that THEY THINK is botting, they will submit a bot report. So basically, CCP will have a full time job just watching the accounts they have flagged. may as well just perma-ban them to begin with.

EVE: All about Flying Frisky and Making Iskie

gfldex
#266 - 2012-03-27 16:37:24 UTC
To be slightly OT. How big of a ISK fountain is the botting operation anyway? What would be the (speculative) negative number in combined botter wallets?

If you take all the sand out of the box, only the cat poo will remain.

Im Super Gay
Investtan Inc.
The Republic.
#267 - 2012-03-27 16:49:41 UTC
Is this naming and shaming just the botting char or all chars on all accounts associated with the botter? Having your main exposed as being associated with botting would be a huge deterent. Since most create bot alts to generate effortless isk or rmt, Now that you can't trade bot chars, and if someone wants to come clean, they'd likely have no use for a botting char anyway and unsub it. Naming and shaming will simply drive players to unsub their bot alts quicker.
Jack Gauge
State War Academy
Caldari State
#268 - 2012-03-27 16:59:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Jack Gauge
At the beginning of this thread, I was all for marking cheaters, botters and RMTers. But after reading many different opinions, I admit it made me reconsider. It is becoming clearer that it is not that simple. I now believe there are several important considerations on this topic

1) Education. I do not feel that CCP has done enough to educate new players about botting and RMTing. Yes, it is mentioned in the EULA, but in fine text the first time you log in, and lets be real, who actually reads all that before starting a potentially awesome new game. They scroll down quickly and click accept without reading anything. Thats it. They might play for months before a new player realizes that these rules exist.

Solution: Add in a section at the beginning of the tutorials that focuses on these rules in enough detail that players are formally notified of the policy on cheating and the consequences of violating them

2) Player involvement in enforcement. The 'Report botter' button is a good tool, but not complete. It could work better. Educate the masses on steps to identify a suspected botter. If a player report is found to be a confirmed botter, reward the player in a meaningful way. If the player report is found to be obviously an abuse of the feature, punish them in an equally meaningful way. It would leave some grey area where a suspect is reported, found to be innocent, and no reward or punishment is given. The bottom line is CCP needs to be quicker to react and players need feedback to see their efforts are having an effect.

3) Punishment. If a possible botter is identified, CCP must act swiftly. If initial investigation confirms suspect behavior, an immediate 2 week ban should be imposed. IF the banned player contacts CCP to refute the suspicion, hear them out and complete the investigation. If the suspicion is confirmed or there is no challenge, apply the following actions

a) Confiscate all assets and ISK
b) Remove from current Corp and place in NPC corp
c) extend the ban another 2 week

A second confirmed report should result in a permanent deletion of the entire account and IP ban.

It is obvious that this is a serious issue and I share many peoples feelings of not wanting to play with cheaters. I feel that banning a repeat offender is justified. There must be oversight by CCP and a genuine showing of action to the public. But I also recognize the lack of information for new players about this issue. Many new players will play for months before they get in deep enough to read forums or attempt to seriously engage the community. We need to educate them from the start if we want to discourage future botters and RMTers. CCP showing a heavy handed justice will reinforce this and set an example. And it must be handled in public for all to see.
MailDeadDrop
Archon Industries
#269 - 2012-03-27 17:03:49 UTC  |  Edited by: MailDeadDrop
CCP Sreegs wrote:
Being familiar with how things work you know I'd just make a corp and publish the info using some really cool API app. :(

I agree with the spirit but the devil is in the implementation.

Andski wrote:
I don't get it - who would shotgun apply to every corp in sight if their account was flagged for botting?

CCP Sreegs wrote:
So the flag would only be available upon application and not just generally to all CEOs? I may have missed that and this intrigues me.

I believe that Andski was intending that the scarlet letter would be visible to CEOs and Directors for all corporate applicants. I would extend that to "applicants and current members".

Lady Zarrina wrote:
One real benefit would be If there was a mechanism to track by corp and alliance the number of known botters. If Corp A is know to have 10 botters, I think it is pretty safe to say, you don't want them in your alliance unless you support botting. And, Alliances with known botters will probably have a few more war-dec, random hi-sec ganks, invading fleets in their area.

Monitoring of corps within the alliance would be accomplished through the use of director alts (i.e. Alliance "security chiefs" would have director alts in each of the corporations monitored). I don't support the idea of corporations or alliances having public counts of the number of known botters though.

MDD
Ajita al Tchar
Doomheim
#270 - 2012-03-27 17:04:06 UTC
Let's just say... It's okay to step into the kiddie sandbox when there's cat and dog **** all over it, to clean it up.
Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#271 - 2012-03-27 17:06:37 UTC
I have 1 idea: add a corporation checkbox: "only allow never banned applicants".

A CEO checking that flag will have the ability to filter out unwanted people without any party having to disclose anything.
This would leave in the corp possible previously banned players but hey, if they have not been kicked so far it's because they behaved correctly.

BeanBagKing wrote:
If they don't want risk, then they shouldn't be botting, there's consequences in my Eve. Pirates run the risk of having neg sec status, a flashing skull, not being able to enter highsec, etc. They still do it though. In this example they can rat back up their sec status (curbing their action/good citizen). So maybe botters can have the same chance (1 year and concord seals your records or something has been suggested).

For me the question is less "should it be done?" and more "HOW should it be done?"

What you state would be totally alright if CCP only banned SURE 100% botters.
Since they also ban using behavioral analysis, there's a chance of a false positive, which you will ingnore and consider irrelevant till it's you who get banned because of it.

Some of the other MMO companies both show the banned guy the logs / records that made him banned or give them a recourse procedure.

CCP has neither, so what you'll see is that you get banned out of the blues, cannot defend yourself, cannot counter-argument, cannot call witnesses nothing (there's lots of threads talking about these topics in the past).

Therefore if they want to go for extreme measures no other MMO company does, they have also to implement a player self defense mechanism and give him tangible tools to prove his innocence (if he is innocent of course!) like other MMO companies do.

Finally, about adding in game skills to detect who got banned: it's useless. Within the first 2 days of those skills being trained, you'd see EvENews sporting an huge list with every banned player name anyway. You can stay sure somebody would do this names gathering on mass scale.
Ceratin
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#272 - 2012-03-27 17:13:27 UTC
What would you, the player, stand to benefit from being able to identify which characters had ever been caught botting, whether or not they were still engaging in this activity?"

Absolutely nothing, I guess it depends on your perspective and if your looking at it from a player or corp / alliiance point of view. From my own perspective, I honestly couldnt care less if someone was using a bot to rat in blah blah system for hours on end, ive played eve long enough that i can make far more isk sitting around doing bugger all than they would running a bot farm anyway, apart from this they are often quite fun to kill if your really bored

Ive known quite a few people who have used these tools, and none of them were this stereotype russian botter lord that whores all the npcs everywhere and makes a gazillion isk. Most were pvpers + honest mature players that simply didnt have enough time to rat for 8 hours a day while trying to work

So from my own pov no it wouldnt really benefit me, however corp and alliance.. yes maybe, I think in that case some kind of infraction api would be feasable. That way when dodgy guy #555 joins your corp and you api check him, you can see he's been given an infraction from ccp and decide whether or not you want this activity in your corp
Just Alter
Futures Abstractions
#273 - 2012-03-27 17:14:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Just Alter
Chokichi Ozuwara wrote:
CCP Sreegs wrote:
But I could argue that there are plenty of other deterrents in place. This one has the additional negative of also providing a disincentive for turning into a Good Guy, which is something we've been trying to prevent.

This is a pipe dream, and you guys keep protecting and trying to reform criminals are doing it at the expense of existing players and future participants in Eve as well.

You know what Facebook does when they take action? No appeal.

Google? No appeal.

The evidence needs to be solid, but if someone is botting, they need to be thrown out of the game because they are potentially ruining the experience for thousands of other players (butterfly effect and all that jazz).

This ffs.

We are not talking about sending someone to the death row.
There is no need to "reform" botters.

They know perfectly well what they're doing and will NEVER play the game legit.

Once you are SURE that someone is botting erase his\her account(s) .
No appeal, no mercy, no nothing.

As for the shaming: most of the botters are well known; it would hardly make a difference.
Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#274 - 2012-03-27 17:16:51 UTC
Another thing: the first BIG purple letter should be on CCP's forehead.

They allowed all the possible botting for MANY YEARS and then some.

They are not the only ones, there's a Bioware's subcompany who let some exploits run for 3 years to the point 99% of the playerbase just took them as basic game mechanics and all used them.

Therefore if they want to implement purple letters they should produce an HUGE splash screen for 2 weeks + a mandatory splash screen when a new player (re)subs, HUGE news (those you see at log on) and maybe an email to the subscribers about their new super tight anti-bot politics.

Only past that date they would start flagging people because they were warned.
I have the suspicion that if they really started flagging all people who botted say 5 years ago, you'd see a purple blinking universe all around you.
Sin Pew
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#275 - 2012-03-27 17:18:13 UTC
Sreeg, please, discuss it with CCP lawyers, flagging bots adds in-game content only accessible through breaking EULA.
That would simply void the EULA part covering automation, thus endorsing and allowing botting. You don't want that, do you?
Besides, I prefer CCP focuses on maintaining and debugging existing code, than adding useless pieces of code to further maintain and debug.

[i]"haiku are easy, But sometimes they don't make sense, Refrigerator."[/i]

Commander Spurty
#276 - 2012-03-27 17:21:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Commander Spurty
Not a fan of vanity item stuff like this.

Prefer it to be real bad to do this.

Real affects applied to deter

1st ranking = slap wrists, make pod as dense as a titan and apply this to all ships they fly
2nd ranking = apply warp speed nerf (Slower than a freighter) and even if unaggressed, takes ten mins to despawn
3rd ranking = carry on with the bio mass

Drop them down one strike ranking per 6/12 months of activity but not botting. Yah, you have to pay as well and log in rendering your other 2 unaffected accounts useless as well. You did the crime, you do the time.

This way, at least the good guys are thrown a bone as they are out there trying, but you're not helping them out one bit.

There are good ships,

And wood ships,

And ships that sail the sea

But the best ships are Spaceships

Built by CCP

Zuratul
Amok.
Goonswarm Federation
#277 - 2012-03-27 17:23:15 UTC
Largo Usagi wrote:
Well as a former CEO and one who had logs of all of his corp members ratting I realized I had a botter in my corp. The pilot was on 14 Hours a day and brought a HUGE amount of ISK into the corp. That stated personally I feel that it adversely effects every one in the game but at the time my corp was befitting from the botter and shortly was removed.

I approve the scarlet letter with another side effect, removal of corp taxes yielded from the botter.

Here is some quick Math lets say a decent bot can get 80m an hour(this is not unheard of)
80m an hour
1.12b a day at roughly 14 hours a day with scheduled variance.

Now with 10% going to the corp that's
8m an hour
112m a day in the corp wallet.

In a 30 day cycle that's almost 3.4b isk

That immense amount of isk is seen by the corp that recruits a botter, and that is incentive to recruit botters and turn a blind eye if it is going on. Now if the corp lost 3.4b isk with the botter that isk is out of the economy and the corp feels the punishment too. If the scarlet lettering is in place and the player gets punished for botting the removal should be double that to server as a deterrent from recruiting players that have been flagged as botting. So if the player isn't a problem and isn't punished as a repeat offender then the corp has no issue but if they are then the corp has to feel the consequences of its risky decision.

This is real consequence already in play with new ones stacked to deter corporations from recruiting known botters.

Also a public list of the players who have been permaband from the game and bio-massed is useless, they are gone and never to be seen again.

A scarlet letter for a year of visibility is a fair idea because that allows for the possibility of oops i ****** up please don't perma ban me. I dont think a 3 strikes system should be in place here either, 2 is plenty, if you get a reprimand once then you now know the rules in this area. If you get a reprimand a second time then you deserve to get permaband for botting.

TL;DR

Make it publically shown if a pilot has been cought botting
Wrap corporate level punishments for pilots with Scarlett letters if they get banned again.

You stupid pubbie.

Enjoy that NPC corp, GET OUT OF MY AM0K.
Henry Haphorn
Killer Yankee
#278 - 2012-03-27 17:26:31 UTC
Sin Pew wrote:
Sreeg, please, discuss it with CCP lawyers, flagging bots adds in-game content only accessible through breaking EULA.
That would simply void the EULA part covering automation, thus endorsing and allowing botting. You don't want that, do you?
Besides, I prefer CCP focuses on maintaining and debugging existing code, than adding useless pieces of code to further maintain and debug.

That makes no sense at all. In real life, we have judges in the United States that force thieves to stand in public in front of a store and wear a sign that says "I stole from [insert store name here]". Perfectly legal and the lawyers were not able to overturn that decision because the majority of the people in those communities saw no problem with the "name and shame" policy. Good luck trying to convince a lawyer to have CCP litigated over a "name and shame" policy if the majority of the players here support it.

Adapt or Die

BeanBagKing
The Order of Atlas
#279 - 2012-03-27 17:39:49 UTC  |  Edited by: BeanBagKing
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:

BeanBagKing wrote:
If they don't want risk, then they shouldn't be botting, there's consequences in my Eve. Pirates run the risk of having neg sec status, a flashing skull, not being able to enter highsec, etc. They still do it though. In this example they can rat back up their sec status (curbing their action/good citizen). So maybe botters can have the same chance (1 year and concord seals your records or something has been suggested).

For me the question is less "should it be done?" and more "HOW should it be done?"

What you state would be totally alright if CCP only banned SURE 100% botters.
Since they also ban using behavioral analysis, there's a chance of a false positive, which you will ingnore and consider irrelevant till it's you who get banned because of it.

I have no idea what they use to ban, and neither do you, since CCP has repeatedly told us that they won't tell us what they use to detect botters as this would make it easier for botters to circumvent detection. There's the chance of a false positive, however, if CCP feels that their tools are good enough to warrant a ban of any kind on an account, then I think they're good enough to use under these circumstances.

There's false positives in the real world all the time. Someone perfectly innocent may be convicted of a crime. It sucks, but it doesn't mean that we dismiss the idea of punishing crimes because someone innocent may be thrown in jail. We do the very best we can (I hope) to avoid this, make sure we have all the evidence, make sure there's a fair trial, and make repremands if a mistake is made. CCP is perfectly capable of doing the same. Personally I think CCP Sreegs is more likely to err on the side of innocence myself (he seems to lax on botting to many), which makes me even less concerned about false positives.

Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:

CCP has neither, so what you'll see is that you get banned out of the blues, cannot defend yourself, cannot counter-argument, cannot call witnesses nothing (there's lots of threads talking about these topics in the past).

The initial ban only lasts a day, and of course you can open a petition about it. Even if the GM's won't listen you can mail QA and ask them to investigate the GM's actions. It may not be public (which I don't think it should be), but it's not like your character is going to drop off the face of the world and you'll never get to say anything about it.

Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:

Finally, about adding in game skills to detect who got banned: it's useless. Within the first 2 days of those skills being trained, you'd see EvENews sporting an huge list with every banned player name anyway. You can stay sure somebody would do this names gathering on mass scale.

Oh trust me, I already considered this EXACT scenario (and I love it). Name gathering/publishing already happens in other ways (evewho.com lists players in a corp with a great deal of accuracy, aiding war deccers). This is a pretty good example of CCP not publishing the data themselves, but putting the tools into the hands of the players. The players decided there was a market to be filled, a list of players in a corp or alliance, and used the data provided to fill it, and it's thrived. Of course there would be a list of names published, and it's precisely this that supports my argument. There is a market to be filled here, there is enough players interested that not only would they go through the trouble and potential cost to train and buy the skills, then (theoretically) bribe concord for a huge list of names (or go through every name), but then go through the trouble to publish it on Eve's major news outlet. Players want this information and, if they are given the tools to build it in their own sandbox, will go through the trouble to get it. How could the fact that they want it that bad possibly be an argument for not providing it?

Edit: Dammit CCP, my post does not contain invalid BB Code!
Killer Gandry
The Concilium Enterprises
#280 - 2012-03-27 17:40:38 UTC
Henry Haphorn wrote:

That makes no sense at all. In real life, we have judges in the United States that force thieves to stand in public in front of a store and wear a sign that says "I stole from [insert store name here]". Perfectly legal and the lawyers were not able to overturn that decision because the majority of the people in those communities saw no problem with the "name and shame" policy. Good luck trying to convince a lawyer to have CCP litigated over a "name and shame" policy if the majority of the players here support it.

Contrary to popular believes EVE is NOT the United States.

The only thing what would come from making public who got caught botting is a witchhunt.

Regardless we call ourselves a civilised world nowadays we are not.
The pitchfork and torch mentality is everpresent (and specially in the EVE world) and it won't do any good for EVE as a game to encourage that.

The flag showing up for people who can accept recruits in a corporation would be sufficient. And only when people apply to a corporation.
A corporation is entitled to know if someone who applies has been caught and punished before for breaking the EULA/ToS.