These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

upcoming curse, bhaal, etc Nerf.

Author
Destination SkillQueue
Doomheim
#21 - 2012-03-26 11:19:07 UTC
Hans Tria wrote:
uredo wrote:
What exactly is the problem that they are trying to fix here?

Cap-based warfare is currently in a pretty well-balanced state at the moment, I think.

Neut's already have a many counters e.g. cap boosters

Are we risking that balance just to make Capacitor Batteries more popular?! Really?

This is insightful. There doesn't seem to be any problem to fix.

CCP screws up enough stuff without trying to fix problems that don't exist.

Counter to neuts is a booster—and it is much more effective than this proposition.

Edit: Where is this info coming from? I assumed from fanfest, but haven't seen anything else about it...

The info comes from fanfest. There was a load of new modules discussed in one of the presentation. The problem they're trying to solve isn't in the balance or any broken element. The problem is that things have stayed the same for too long and ship fittings have in some areas become too predictable. The purpose of these new modules and affects is to mix things up again and give people more choices when choosing what to fit. With these new mechanics CCP seems to be trying out a lot of different things, test them in the game in a limited fashion and see what works and what doesn't.
Bouh Revetoile
In Wreck we thrust
#22 - 2012-03-26 11:43:26 UTC
Cap booster are not a counter to neut by themselves as they require very spacious ammo.

And saying that a curse caped out is screwed is just stupid as almost *any* ship caped out is screwed.

As already stated, bateries are a pain to fit, and pvp fit cannot fit one most of the time. And 5% is not that much; I mean, one neut cycle out of 20 (!) will be reflected ! I'm not even sure the neuting ship will lose more cap than its target (looking at cap neuted vs cap used).

Maybe active tanking will rebirth with this; but I'm not sure it will be enough.
Zarnak Wulf
Task Force 641
Empyrean Edict
#23 - 2012-03-26 11:55:30 UTC
CCP Soundwave had an interview with Ten Ton Hammer where he stated the overall goal of shaking up stale fits. Having said that, batteries would have to have a third effect such as x% immunity to nuets or x% less draw from active modules to get me to consider them.
Muad 'dib
State War Academy
Caldari State
#24 - 2012-03-26 12:25:50 UTC
wow th tin foil hats are out on this one.

You think your curse is going to be overnight instantly terrible?

Its not going to explode on the spot or anything :P

Cosmic signature detected. . . . http://i.imgur.com/Z7NfIS6.jpg I got 99 likes, and this post aint one.

Voith
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#25 - 2012-03-26 12:49:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Voith
Quick Amarr has a useful PvP ship.

NERF THAT **** INTO THE GROUND.
Fon Revedhort
Monks of War
#26 - 2012-03-26 13:54:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Fon Revedhort
1) I don't see this effect being good enough to consider fitting both boring and weak cap batteries instead of fun and awesome cap booster.

2) Those saying cap-draining ships should be immune to that effect prolly should cry out for Falcon ECM immunity, too. Just saying.

"Being supporters of free speech and free and open [CSM] elections... we removed Fon Revedhort from eligibility". CCP, April 2013.

Gypsio III
Questionable Ethics.
Ministry of Inappropriate Footwork
#27 - 2012-03-26 14:13:27 UTC
IMO, Nos is the true counter to neuts. The problem with Nos is that it's too hard to fit, and possibly should drain a bit more too. Cut the CPU and PG of Nos by about 50%.
Krystal Flores
Deliverance.
Arrival.
#28 - 2012-03-26 14:59:48 UTC
But since the odds of the reflection are that high, (the chances of the neuts are 1:20). I believe its quite possible for a curse or pilgrim to get a bad cycle on a target with 3 neuts and cap itself out from near full.

The Bhal would take a few more but i assume normal pvp ships won't normally fit the batteries, seeing how much cap boosters are better.
Yahrr
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#29 - 2012-03-26 15:09:07 UTC
I guess Curse pilots are gonna have to fit cap batteries to reflect the reflected neuts... Lol
Jerick Ludhowe
Internet Tuff Guys
#30 - 2012-03-26 15:21:04 UTC
wow this is one bad idea... How about being reasonable and just add a % of cap warfare resistance when one of these modules is fitted...

Or if neuts are really a problem (i don't think they are) just make the cap drained roughly based on sig res of the target.
uredo
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#31 - 2012-03-26 15:24:00 UTC
Gypsio III wrote:
IMO, Nos is the true counter to neuts. The problem with Nos is that it's too hard to fit, and possibly should drain a bit more too. Cut the CPU and PG of Nos by about 50%.

Not sure I agree with this completely - maybe medium and large are a bit heavy on the PG/CPU but smalls are ok.

The new Assault Frigates are pretty much designed to always fit a nos. They all have one utility high slot, and the CPU and PG to fit one.
Nalha Saldana
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#32 - 2012-03-26 16:24:43 UTC
uredo wrote:

Cap-based warfare is currently in a pretty well-balanced state at the moment, I think.

Are we risking that balance just to make Capacitor Batteries more popular?! Really?

Balanced? Every ship with a free highslot fits neuts and never missiles, smartbombs etc and almost every ship without a free highslot is seen as bad. Neuts are powerful and needs a better counter then cap boosters that dont really help you enough.
JoeTwo PointOh
Did he say Jump
Deepwater Hooligans
#33 - 2012-03-26 16:43:42 UTC
Nalha Saldana wrote:
uredo wrote:

Balanced? Every ship with a free highslot fits neuts and never missiles, smartbombs etc and almost every ship without a free highslot is seen as bad. Neuts are powerful and needs a better counter then cap boosters that dont really help you enough.

I do have to agree here.

As much as I love neuting the **** out of someone, it's frustrating having a blaster boat that fights best inside neut range and being forced to sacrifice a mid for a cap booster. Other than a Tornado or a Maelstrom, how many minmatar ships are there out there that do not include a neut as part of their standard fit? How many ships in general use that extra high slot (if they have one) for something other than a neut.

I'm not sold on the sounds of this proposal in terms of cap battery usage though, as they're generally less useful than a lot of other things I can think of for a mid slot, and too pg/cpu intensive. If the 5% chance to reflect somehow hits a neuting ship back, all it has to do is simply inject another booster. How many neuting ships do we know of that run without cap boosters?
Large Collidable Object
morons.
#34 - 2012-03-26 17:03:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Large Collidable Object
JoeTwo PointOh wrote:

As much as I love neuting the **** out of someone, it's frustrating having a blaster boat that fights best inside neut range and being forced to sacrifice a mid for a cap booster.

But sacrificing it for a cap battery would be a ton better, right?

I appreciate CCP looking at unused modules, but this will neiher fix cap batteries nor do neuting ships need a nerf - I for one never heard about someone complaining about myriads of curse alts sitting on gates.

Granted - neuts are ubiquitous thanks to Minmatar hulls util slots but they're hardly anywhere near as detrimental to gameplay as e.g. ECM drones.
You know... [morons.](http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gjOx65yD5A)
JoeTwo PointOh
Did he say Jump
Deepwater Hooligans
#35 - 2012-03-26 17:15:15 UTC  |  Edited by: JoeTwo PointOh
Not really, as a 5% chance to turn someone's neuting around is MUCH worse than a 100% chance for me to just inject cap and keep going.

Edit...

Agreed again, I can think of a LOT of other things that need work before something like this.
Duchess Starbuckington
Doomheim
#36 - 2012-03-26 17:37:57 UTC
Neuts already have a counter-module, it's called a cap booster. Why do they need another one?
I agree that bonused ships should be exempt from this effect, frankly.
Liang Nuren
No Salvation
Divine Damnation
#37 - 2012-03-26 18:13:50 UTC
I've found that most fights involving neuts didn't require them in the first place. The damage output in a 1v1 BC fight is high enough that neuts aren't likely to play a role unless they're active tanked or you overheat multiple neuts (Hurricane/Cyclone basically). It seems that neuts are mostly used against:
- Capitals: They're unlikely to fit batteries simply because of how much it gimps the cap recharge. Better to be neuted than to not have the cap you need in the first place.
- Frigs: They're unlikely to fit batteries simply because of how much fittings they require. Furthermore, they'll just be overwhelmed next cycle by cruiser/BC neuts while the cruiser/BC isn't going to be too negatively affected by the 'failures'.

Basically: the idea isn't well baked.

-Liang

I'm an idiot, don't mind me.

Liang Nuren
No Salvation
Divine Damnation
#38 - 2012-03-26 18:14:41 UTC
Duchess Starbuckington wrote:
Neuts already have a counter-module, it's called a cap booster. Why do they need another one?
I agree that bonused ships should be exempt from this effect, frankly.

We made the argument that Nos bonused ships should be immune to the effect too... you can see how well that worked for us.

-Liang

Lyron-Baktos
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#39 - 2012-03-26 18:17:04 UTC
ya, I'm not seeing any kind of need for this change. Maybe there was a reason that a module is not used. Because it's not needed.

If people were going around complaining about how these modules sucked or where not powerful enough, then there may be a reason to look at this.
Liang Nuren
No Salvation
Divine Damnation
#40 - 2012-03-26 18:18:58 UTC
Lyron-Baktos wrote:
ya, I'm not seeing any kind of need for this change. Maybe there was a reason that a module is not used. Because it's not needed.

If people were going around complaining about how these modules sucked or where not powerful enough, then there may be a reason to look at this.

The module isn't used because its a ***** to fit. In a lot of ways its superior to a cap recharger.

-Liang