These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Creative Integrity versus Business

Author
Arakazzi
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#1 - 2012-03-20 11:36:51 UTC
After reading some of the poor reviews that Mass Effect 3 had. Although most of the reviews are positive, there are some complaints surrounding the DLC and some accussations of EA "ruining" what was a popular developer. The basic argument is that EA/BioWare are milking a successful franchise for what it's worth. This is hardly the first time a successful franchise has been created and has been milked for all it's worth. Star Wars, Star Trek and Lord of the Rings are the most extreme examples of this. These franchises have a large and dedicated following with many willing to pay a lot of money to get their hands on any merchandise related to them

The thought that occured to me and not for the first time, that business and the creative industry do not mix well. What I mean is that the quality and intergrity of the franchise can suffer in the persuit of money. If I broaden it out to music and Hollywood there are many examples of artists looking for what would do well at the box office rather than what makes a good, interesting and stimulating movie or album. I remember the lead singer of the Pretenders stating that she wrote songs just to get into the chart rather than writing songs that she liked. REM's Micheal Styx had said some similar things in his interviews too

I understand that we live in the real world and sentiment doesn't pay the bills. But I'm interested in peoples views on those who work in the creative industries.
Fraszoid
Miner Guide to the Galaxy
#2 - 2012-03-26 13:30:03 UTC
You need to have a balance between the creative art aspect and the profit generating potential. If you go full art it doesn't sell well, and if you go full market its brown and bland. Only played ME2 part way through, so I'm not an expert on it. I found it to be a fun squad based shooter, and from what I've heard from friends, ME2 was the right mix of mechanics for a fun game. When making something creative, you need to make it perform to your expectations, and not compromise on that. Case in point EA probably made ME3 the way it is because they wanted lots of money, not caring for artistic integrity. So you have to go what the hand holding the purse strings wants or you get nothing at all.