These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Latin on Impairor rookie ship?

Author
Kolya Medz
Kolya Inc.
#1 - 2012-03-26 03:37:08 UTC
If you zoom in real close, you can see it on the side of the ship.

Right side:

Donec viverra sodales
Donec dapibus, lorem ut

Left side:

Viverra sodales magna
Donec dapibus, lorem ut
Molestie facilisis,

Anyone know latin? Google translate gives me gibberish.
Istvaan Shogaatsu
Guiding Hand Social Club
#2 - 2012-03-26 03:42:58 UTC
It likely is gibberish. It also likely comes from here:

http://lipsum.com/feed/html
Carlo Arnolles
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2012-03-26 05:41:47 UTC
I'm a Latin teacher. As far as I can tell, that is gibberish. Though it is late, I could be too tired to read bad Latin.
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#4 - 2012-03-26 06:20:00 UTC
Well... the Amarrian Empire is based of off an offshoot of the Catholic Church. After 20,000 years it is possible for the writing to be more or less intact while the grammar and/or spelling is butchered.
Kolya Medz
Kolya Inc.
#5 - 2012-03-26 06:24:25 UTC
Lol space Catholics
Fronkfurter McSheebleton
Horse Feathers
CAStabouts
#6 - 2012-03-26 07:13:52 UTC
ShahFluffers wrote:
Well... the Amarrian Empire is based of off an offshoot of the Catholic Church. After 20,000 years it is possible for the writing to be more or less intact while the grammar and/or spelling is butchered.

Sort of. Lore may say something along those lines, but they're much more ancient-egyptian themed than anything.

thhief ghabmoef

ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#7 - 2012-03-26 08:18:31 UTC
Fronkfurter McSheebleton wrote:
ShahFluffers wrote:

Sort of. Lore may say something along those lines, but they're much more ancient-egyptian themed than anything.

To be fair... every EVE race is a mixture of different cultures and themes we see today.

The Caldari are a mix of Japanese and American corporate culture... Gallente are more European-French liberal culture... Minmitar are a pseudo Nordic-African hybrid culture.
ACE McFACE
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2012-03-26 09:15:09 UTC
ShahFluffers wrote:

Thats the RP response, the real answer is that is placeholder text to give the ship a more realistic feel. It can't be because of all the Amarrian RP stuff because theres some on the Ibis too

Now, more than ever, we need a dislike button.

Nalha Saldana
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2012-03-26 10:34:16 UTC
Ill just add google translate so you dont have to try it on your own :P

Right side:

We make changes
Until our own site as

Left side:

Great changes
Until our own site as
Your comments,
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#10 - 2012-03-26 14:05:26 UTC
I had no idea what you were talking about until I went into the game and looked for myself.

So now I have to ask: how did you even zoom in far enough to see individual letters? I can just barely make out the fact that it's text.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Zhilia Mann
Tide Way Out Productions
#11 - 2012-03-26 17:20:59 UTC
Are there no graphic designers here?

It's standard lorem ipsum. Which is to say, placeholder text.

What it's a placeholder for I have no idea.
Nalha Saldana
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2012-03-26 18:39:29 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
I had no idea what you were talking about until I went into the game and looked for myself.

So now I have to ask: how did you even zoom in far enough to see individual letters? I can just barely make out the fact that it's text.

Turn up your graphics settings to see them
Fredfredbug4
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2012-03-26 20:06:29 UTC
Probably gibberish. Lots of stuff have gibberish or broken latin to make things look like they are from an ancient or dead language. Lately the trend has been dying down and is starting to be replaced by completely made up, but translatable languages such as Dragon Tongue in Skyrim, they actually hired people to write it.

Take this video for instance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5-b9TioIto

The song is "An Epic Age" made by The Immediate, they basically do the music for pretty much every movie trailer these days or background music for some battle with an ancient setting to it. The song contains a mixture of gibberish, broken latin, and random latin phrases out of nowhere such as "Semper Fidelis" near the end of the song.

Nonetheless, this gibberish always makes stuff really epic whether it's written or sung.

Watch_ Fred Fred Frederation_ and stop [u]cryptozoologist[/u]! Fight against the brutal genocide of fictional creatures across New Eden! Is that a metaphor? Probably not, but the fru-fru- people will sure love it!

Vito Antonio
Doomheim
#14 - 2012-03-27 05:36:19 UTC
Fredfredbug4 wrote:

Nonetheless, this gibberish always makes stuff really epic whether it's written or sung.

It's cool to have a fraternity with latin name.
It's cool to have a guild with latin name in wow.
And now it's apparently cool to paint latin on eve ships.
Kolya Medz
Kolya Inc.
#15 - 2012-03-28 02:37:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Kolya Medz
James Amril-Kesh wrote:

I think you might need advanced camera settings turned on. I held down control and zoomed in using both mouse buttons, I think. Play with it a bit. If your seeing the stars get bigger, your doing it right.

Trick is to move your mouse side to side I think.