These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Countdown timers should cycle reverse of the activation.

First post
Author
PinkKnife
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2013-12-18 00:32:33 UTC
So as is, they're a few modules with cooldown timers. Micro Jump Drives, bomb launchers, Doomsdays, a few others.

The idea is simple, give them an cooldown timer that displays on the module, simply reversed of the current activation cycle timer. This way you know when the module is off cooldown, rather than trying to guess by clicking it to see how much longer is left.

The tool tip you get on mouse over could also display this information.

You could make it a red bar, or some other color to give a better indication that it was a cool down timer, but that might clash with the overheat color. So maybe yellow? The point is mainly to have a cooldown timer be visible, where the isn't one now.
Alvatore DiMarco
Capricious Endeavours Ltd
#2 - 2013-12-18 00:34:33 UTC
That's not a bad way to approach a solution. The only trouble is that the cycle timer isn't always as accurate as it should be. That is, sometimes I'll have cycles ending with the bar halfway through its animation.
PinkKnife
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2013-12-18 00:38:46 UTC
Alvatore DiMarco wrote:
That's not a bad way to approach a solution. The only trouble is that the cycle timer isn't always as accurate as it should be. That is, sometimes I'll have cycles ending with the bar halfway through its animation.

Yeah, I can see that too. Ideally, you'd never have problems with either.

It would be incredibly useful for modules that you can reuse immediately after they've been used once.
James Arget
Future Corps
Sleeper Social Club
#4 - 2013-12-18 00:59:26 UTC
I'm not picky about what form this takes, but I agree that a visual indicator is needed for the reload on things which have more than the standard 10 seconds. AAR, ASB, RLML, RHML, ISL, MJD, BL, the lot of them.

CSM 8 Representative

http://csm8.org

PinkKnife
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2013-12-18 01:00:09 UTC
James Arget wrote:
I'm not picky about what form this takes, but I agree that a visual indicator is needed for the reload on things which have more than the standard 10 seconds. AAR, ASB, RLML, RHML, ISL, MJD, BL, the lot of them.

Even the 10 second ones! :D
PinkKnife
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2014-01-30 20:09:57 UTC
Bumping for Point release consideration!
Jessica Danikov
Network Danikov
#7 - 2014-01-30 21:42:34 UTC
Yeah, I don't like the vague flashing, no matter how long it is- 1 second, 10 seconds, more.

Reloads, cloaking devices, anything that has a count-down to when it'll be ready to use again- they just need a red variation of the green circle they already have.
Destination SkillQueue
Doomheim
#8 - 2014-01-30 22:34:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Destination SkillQueue
Jessica Danikov wrote:
Yeah, I don't like the vague flashing, no matter how long it is- 1 second, 10 seconds, more.

Reloads, cloaking devices, anything that has a count-down to when it'll be ready to use again- they just need a red variation of the green circle they already have.

You're screwing colorblind people with that. At least now the two have little chance of being mixed. The details of the implementation aren't all that important to most people, but if CCP is going to do it, they might as well do it properly with a visually distinct implementation.
Xe'Cara'eos
A Big Enough Lever
#9 - 2014-01-30 22:57:31 UTC
my suggested 'fix' to this was to have a red loop, instead of the white loop for cooldown - yours works better, I think!

For posting an idea into F&I: come up with idea, try and think how people could abuse this, try to fix your idea - loop the process until you can't see how it could be abused, then post to the forums to let us figure out how to abuse it..... If your idea can be abused, it [u]WILL[/u] be.

PinkKnife
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2014-01-31 16:50:33 UTC
Destination SkillQueue wrote:
Jessica Danikov wrote:

You're screwing colorblind people with that. At least now the two have little chance of being mixed. The details of the implementation aren't all that important to most people, but if CCP is going to do it, they might as well do it properly with a visually distinct implementation.

You could always double up, have a timer that cyclers reverse that is red. But, the issue with using red is it's also the color of a lot of things (overheat damage, deactivated flash, etc). So perhaps using a different color (white?) might be better. Or yellow, as in, still functioning but reloading/recharging.
PinkKnife
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2014-02-04 20:26:12 UTC
So I have it on the authority of a CSM friend of mine that the reverse timers will be included. Apparently it was mentioned at the summit and is a thing they're going to do, though no mention of when.
SmarncaV2
Doomheim
#12 - 2014-02-26 00:43:30 UTC
soon™

+1 for the great idea
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#13 - 2014-02-26 01:51:55 UTC
PinkKnife wrote:
You could make it a red bar, or some other color to give a better indication that it was a cool down timer, but that might clash with the overheat color. So maybe yellow? The point is mainly to have a cooldown timer be visible, where the isn't one now.

I like the idea. What about something like light blue instead to differentiate? (green is already used for overload and red for overheated)

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Jadokun
Waking Dreams
#14 - 2014-02-26 06:23:19 UTC
+1
Lets see some acknowledgement on this.
PinkKnife
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2014-02-26 20:18:52 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
PinkKnife wrote:

I like the idea. What about something like light blue instead to differentiate? (green is already used for overload and red for overheated)

Works for me, you could leave it white for all I care, I'm just tired of not knowing how long until I can cloak again without pressing the cloak button to see.
PinkKnife
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2014-03-05 19:17:06 UTC
Bumping because why not.