These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

Need some help: Triexporter/Maya2012/etc

Author
Xenuria
#1 - 2012-06-23 01:24:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Xenuria
I just installed/unpacked

Maya 2013
Auto CAD 2013
Tri-Exporter 2009
POV-Ray
Poseray

Goal:

I want to extract character models, environments and ships and import them in MAYA 2013.
I want to configure the lighting options and rendering preferences in Maya 2013 so that they are as close to EVE as possible.

UPDATE: I got a POD into Maya 2013...

It was imported as a obj file and the main problem is the dds file (texture) is not fitting onto it properly at all.. I think it needs to be rotated or flipped or something but I am not sure specifically.

UPDATE: The rotation and positioning is all sorted... Except it's just a gray pod. The guides currently available to me are from before CCP changed the file structure. So the pod needs 3 different .dds file in order to look like it does ingame. The hard part now is figuring out how the hell to add those 2 extra texture and where.
Luis Graca
#2 - 2012-06-23 01:26:09 UTC
And i want you to stop posting
Graic Gabtar
The Lemon Party
#3 - 2012-06-23 01:29:25 UTC
I don't understand any of that OP in any way shape or form.

How much did all that software set you back?
Kiteo Hatto
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2012-06-23 01:32:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Kiteo Hatto
Goal: not possible unless you start working for ccp animation department :)

I really doubt that ccp will just tell you their rendering process let alone material shader/settings, i also doubt you can reproduce the same result as them with maya alone, they have their own nifty little software for making trailers(if you look back a bit for one of the fanfest making-of eve never fades videos). You'll have better luck emailing McDonalds asking for their sauce recipe.

I've spoken to a bloke that creates phenomenal eve fanstuff(while his renders are amazing in cinema 4d) he cannot reproduce the exact same look, he even creates custom bumpmaps for the ship materials. Example render+some minor photoshop work
You will never achieve the nice shiny result that you see in the game.

Thats why cheaper coke/pepsi doesn't taste like the real thing Bear

Here is a thought, take a screenshot of your character and location and make them in maya from scratch ?
Akirei Scytale
Okami Syndicate
#5 - 2012-06-23 01:38:24 UTC
Graic Gabtar wrote:

Nothing, he stole it.
Grey Azorria
Federation Industries
#6 - 2012-06-23 01:45:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Grey Azorria
Akirei Scytale wrote:
Graic Gabtar wrote:

Nothing, he stole it.

Not quite, PoseRay, POV Ray, and TriExporter are all free, Auto CAD and Maya are free to students (studying a remotely relevant course)

EDIT: @OP read the .red files, they tell you the exact colours, specular curves etc. used on each ship model, dunno about chars though. There are also many guides on teh interwebs on how to extract models from EVE into 3DS Max, Blender, Maya etc.

EDIT 2: THIS was made using something called 3D Ripper DX, never used it myself, but looks like it might be worth checking out.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Sometimes when I post, I look at my sig and wish that I'd follow my own god damned advice.

Alpheias
The Khaleph
#7 - 2012-06-23 01:48:38 UTC
Grey Azorria wrote:
Akirei Scytale wrote:
Graic Gabtar wrote:

Nothing, he stole it.

Not quite, PoseRay, POV Ray, and TriExporter are all free, Auto CAD and Maya are free to students studying a remotely relevant course)

That would imply Xenuria has the brain capacity to learn, which he doesn't.

Agent of Chaos, Sower of Discord.

Don't talk to me unless you are IQ verified and certified with three references from non-family members. Please have your certificate of authenticity on hand.

Xenuria
#8 - 2012-06-23 02:10:33 UTC
Grey Azorria wrote:
Akirei Scytale wrote:
Graic Gabtar wrote:

Nothing, he stole it.

Not quite, PoseRay, POV Ray, and TriExporter are all free, Auto CAD and Maya are free to students (studying a remotely relevant course)

EDIT: @OP read the .red files, they tell you the exact colours, specular curves etc. used on each ship model, dunno about chars though. There are also many guides on teh interwebs on how to extract models from EVE into 3DS Max, Blender, Maya etc.

EDIT 2: THIS was made using something called 3D Ripper DX, never used it myself, but looks like it might be worth checking out.

I have looked at plenty of guides. They seem to be either outdated, missing information or too complicated for me to follow.

I would appreciate it if somebody with the knowledge could break it down for me step by step.

Once I have the thing in maya I can handle it from their. It's just getting it to their is where I lack experience.
I realize that exporting an exact copy of my current character model is close to impossible without CCP lending a helping hand. However I have seen plenty of renders that are fully clothed and look like something made in the character editor ingame. So they must have some way of coming close to an exact copy.

The top priority really is the female character model. I don't care if I need to build an animation skeleton myself, that's no big deal. I don't plan to do any videos outside of stuff for my CSM 8 campaign.
Xenuria
#9 - 2012-06-23 02:27:39 UTC
Just discovered that despite what google says, .Rpf files CAN NOT be opened with AUTO CAD 2013.

My dreams of having Xenuria meet Max Payne are crushed!
CRUSHED!

We were going to fight crime together!
Jake Warbird
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#10 - 2012-06-23 03:25:13 UTC
Xenuria wrote:

Once I have the thing in maya I can handle it from their.

First things first... Learn to differentiate there from their. Come back when you do that and I'll help you with Maya.
Xenuria
#11 - 2012-06-23 13:04:57 UTC
Jake Warbird wrote:
Xenuria wrote:

Once I have the thing in maya I can handle it from their.

First things first... Learn to differentiate there from their. Come back when you do that and I'll help you with Maya.

Sorry, I was really stressed out when I typed that.
I am still really bummed out that I can't open .rpf files, but that is a separate issue. I may just have to change some of the content for my CSM 8 promotional videos if I can't get the max payne 3 models to extract.

Grey Azorria
Federation Industries
#12 - 2012-06-23 13:39:03 UTC
Xenuria wrote:
Just discovered that despite what google says, .Rpf files CAN NOT be opened with AUTO CAD 2013.

CRUSHED!

Well a quick google says that its either Autodesk Combustion or 3ds Max that you want, not AutoCAD (which really is a 2D program rather than 3D)

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Sometimes when I post, I look at my sig and wish that I'd follow my own god damned advice.

Xenuria
#13 - 2012-06-23 13:54:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Xenuria
Grey Azorria wrote:
Xenuria wrote:

CRUSHED!

Well a quick google says that its either Autodesk Combustion or 3ds Max that you want, not AutoCAD (which really is a 2D program rather than 3D)

I tried those.

The .Rpf file type is actually a RAGE engine package. Basically most of the games files are in .rpf files packaged in their.

So even if those programs could open the file it would probably open all 100+ models at once and crash even my system.

Edit:

What I really need to know how to do is get the High Quality Character model into maya.
Jake Warbird
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#14 - 2012-06-23 14:16:41 UTC
Well,I tried searching on the topic for quite a bit. It sounds interesting.

This is what I found about the 'rage package file' type : http://openiv.com/frequently-asked-questions

It says in there that they can edit assets from GTA 4, but goes on to say they can edit .rpf files specifically. They quote 3DS as an example but I'm more of a Maya user. I doubt they will release it as public domain or not just yet, anyways. You could try writing to them and ask them if they would be willing.

Cheers.
Xenuria
#15 - 2012-06-23 14:27:53 UTC
Jake Warbird wrote:
Well,I tried searching on the topic for quite a bit. It sounds interesting.

This is what I found about the 'rage package file' type : http://openiv.com/frequently-asked-questions

It says in there that they can edit assets from GTA 4, but goes on to say they can edit .rpf files specifically. They quote 3DS as an example but I'm more of a Maya user. I doubt they will release it as public domain or not just yet, anyways. You could try writing to them and ask them if they would be willing.

Cheers.

Thanks for helping... When I send an email to some entity asking for the release of tech it normally ends bad.
Xenuria
#16 - 2012-06-23 17:05:19 UTC
http://i.imgur.com/zstab.png

BEHOLD!

I seem... to have done something wrong..

Rotation and positioning seem to be perfect.
I assumed that capsule_ngs was a bump map and it turned out I was right.
However the color and wet look of the pod was not working out right. I used the final texture file "capsule_o" as a specular shader and that made it look sorta alright but as you can see its still not right.
Lucy Ferrr
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#17 - 2012-06-23 17:39:25 UTC
Akirei Scytale wrote:
Graic Gabtar wrote:

Nothing, he stole it.

I highly doubt he ran into a Best Buy or Fry's and stole a bunch of boxes of software. It's much more likely he pirated it, and pirating is NOT stealing. With stealing there is a loss, with pirating there is no loss (besides the false assumed loss of sale). If I were to steal your car, you are out a car and I got a new car. If I were to pirate your album you still have your album and now I have it as well. Not arguing the morality of pirating here, just saying there's a big difference between theft and piracy. Just saying.
Jake Warbird
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#18 - 2012-06-23 17:40:24 UTC
Xenuria wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/zstab.png

BEHOLD!

I seem... to have done something wrong..

Rotation and positioning seem to be perfect.
I assumed that capsule_ngs was a bump map and it turned out I was right.
However the color and wet look of the pod was not working out right. I used the final texture file "capsule_o" as a specular shader and that made it look sorta alright but as you can see its still not right.

Looks like sortof a carpaint texture. Maybe adjust the reflection co-eff a bit? Or maybe change the base material to anisotropic?
Xenuria
#19 - 2012-06-23 18:08:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Xenuria
Lucy Ferrr wrote:
Akirei Scytale wrote:
Graic Gabtar wrote:

Nothing, he stole it.

I highly doubt he ran into a Best Buy or Fry's and stole a bunch of boxes of software. It's much more likely he pirated it, and pirating is NOT stealing. With stealing there is a loss, with pirating there is no loss (besides the false assumed loss of sale). If I were to steal your car, you are out a car and I got a new car. If I were to pirate your album you still have your album and now I have it as well. Not arguing the morality of pirating here, just saying there's a big difference between theft and piracy. Just saying.

I didn't pirate the software dofus.
I am a college student, It was free under a student license.

It was originally phong and now its anisotropic but it still looks nothing like the ingame one. I must be doing something wrong.
I assumed the other two textures had to be flipped around in shoop and then rotated 180 in maya. Thats what worked for the base texture. IT also worked for the bump map too.

But this last texture, the one thats a really small gradient of greens and yellows. I am not sure if I have that positioned correctly or where the hell its supposed to even fit in.

http://i.imgur.com/RyJmO.png <--------- This is what it SHOULD look like!
Shape Check!
Base Texture (Greyish) Check!
Bump Map Check!
Green and Yellow Color Sad
Viktor Fyretracker
Emminent Terraforming
#20 - 2012-06-23 18:39:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Viktor Fyretracker
http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Rendering_EVE_Models_101

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw18CzYzJvg

Now this is for blender and gimp. make note of the textures structure, the changes are not too drastic from ngs to pgs.

Somehting I did messing with the specular layer of the Drake. Drake with some red

EVE is like swimming on a beach in shark infested waters,  There is however a catch...  The EVE Beach you also have to wonder which fellow swimmer will try and eat you before the sharks.

123Next page